Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Henna is bad for my hair?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lyssi

Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:19 am      Reply with quote
Hello everyone!

My hair story is really long and tiring so I will try to make it short and interesting. Very Happy

I have done terrible terrible damage to my hair over the past ten years. Synthetic dyes, PERMS, blowdrying, chlorine in the swimming pool every week, you name it...
about 2 years ago I went all-natural. I went vegetarian and started to work out and everything. A part of that lifestyle was to dye my hair with henna. Obviously the hair grew out to mostly hennaed hair over the two years. But the weird thing is, I didn't notice that much of a difference. It was still really damaged and thin and scrubby. And I did like deep oiling with coconut oil every week and all that, so I was really really working on it.
But of course I was looking for the problem elsewhere 'cause everyone says henna is like the gift from gods that nourishes your hair etc.

So, when I had done basically everything else there is to do, I decided to grow out my natural hair - stop the dying all together and virtually do nothing with my hair other than wash it with a natural shampoo.

And 3 months later my virgin hair that has no henna on it looks great! Much thicker, not fuzzy, little golden threads in it, amazing. The hennaed hair looks dead and dull as it has for a long time.

So could it be that in some cases with a very thin hair strand henna could be too intense or something? Has anyone else had that experience? 'Cause google sure doesn't seem to locate anyone.
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Henna is very drying to the hair, that's why some people add oils to decrease the dryness but I find that inhibits the color intake. I prefer to treat it afterwards. I get my henna fromwww.hennasooq.ca and use their shampoo bars.

You didn't say how you were hennaing your hair but check out Hennasooq as they are very helpful in helping newbies.

But I love the Trichomania shampoo from LUSH and the Curly Wurly shampoo as well. They really hydrated my hair. I like their henna bars too but I find it didn't give the intense color I wanted but was very good for adding thickness and texture.

The hennaed parts of your hair sound damaged. Are you using virgin coconut oil? I like the brand from Wilderness family, it is quite moisturizing. I tried a cheaper brand and it actually dried my skin out quite badly.
lyssi

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Hey!

Yes, I was using virgin coconut oil and I hennaed my hair for about two years with body art quality henna, so I think I've got the technique down. Smile

At first I did henna + indigo to get dark brown but then I noticed it faded out quite fast and it's such a hassle to dye your hair with henna paste, so I discovered that doing it with two steps (first the henna and then the indigo) gave longer lasting results - over time the hair got so used to it that it just does not fade out at all, I am struggling with that fact right now. Very Happy

So as far as I know (and I really read a lot about it before I got started) I have done everything right. But I have to mention that I do have extremely thin hair genetically (my father's mother and sisters all had very thin hair), so maybe the henna is just too much for it?
sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:07 am      Reply with quote
I just tried that but the indigo did not stay. And some of the henna also came off. I mixed henna with Lush Veganese and let it sit for a few hours.

Then a few days later I did the indigo. But over the last few weeks the indigo came off the roots. I also mixed in some henna this time to tone the black down. I've been hennaing for years but used indigo twice in the past year.

I know my hair fell out when I couldn't afford any protein. Have you tried taking silica or biotin? They are supposed to help with hair thinning.

Is your hair a bit thicker when you use henna or is it so dry from henna that it's breaking off? Have you tried a henna gloss? Mixing henna with conditioner so it gives a lot of moisture and some color?

I think on Hennasooq they recommend amla or shikkai for thin hair but I haven't tried them enough to judge whether it helps or not.

You can try making your version of the LUSH henna bars. I find the shea butter really adds thickness to my hair. I don't use any products ever since I went back to henna.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:13 am      Reply with quote
Hi, The only thing that is bad about Amla is the smell. If you put too much, it has a very strong smell. I'd rather mix this with some coconut oil, just a drop is more than enough for 1 application...I've used this for years too, but I'd rather use it sparingly because of the smell... I apply Amla (with coconut oil) after Henna application. Also would prefer to use it when I don't have to go out Smile Hope this helps.

sakura wrote:

I think on Hennasooq they recommend amla or shikkai for thin hair but I haven't tried them enough to judge whether it helps or not.

sakura
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
I already feel self conscious about the henna smell! I don't remember how amla smells like. I thought it was an acidic so can help dye release in the henna.

Once I started to drink protein drinks and eat more meat my hair grew back.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have been told that henna coats the hair and safer than hair dies used in the salon.

I was also told that hair dies today are better but still damage the hair.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |