Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Can I use bioderma photoderm max with Zinc based sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
chocosweet
5% products discount

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all~hope you are all doing well!

So I just bought Bioderma photoderm max spf50+ spray version

Texture wise it is watery and I don't see white cast (I'm quite fair). I'm using this on my neck, arms and feet

My question
Can I use this bioderma 1st, then after 20mins top up a layer of physical sunscreen?

My reason is, I want to reduce the stickiness feeling (or tackiness maybe) that lingers on my neck area, since I move my neck around much often (work with computer whole day), I still kinda can feel the sunscreen 'sits' on my skin

Formerly I was using physical susncreen on my neck, love it,,but it is drying my neck...we all know physical SS is drying by nature. I just can't anyhow mix chemical sunscreen too, so please help!

Thanks!!

PS: will using both protect better? I'm using retinol, glycolic acid and hydroquinone on neck to remove permatan (alternate days)

21, Asian, Regime: Queen Helene Mint Julep Scrub, DIY B3-rose toner, DIY C+MSM serum, Finacea gel; Oil: tamanu & emu! Fav chem SS: RoC Soleil Protexion SPF50 Sensitive Skin; Physical SS: All Terrain Aquasport, currently using Elemental Herbs Kids; Skin type: normal; Concern: clogged pores on lower cheek, PIH
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:59 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
My question
Can I use this bioderma 1st, then after 20mins top up a layer of physical sunscreen?

I do not see a reason why not. It is better than mixing them, for sure.

Will it protect better? I doubt so. Bioderma suncreen is a very stable (aka good) suncreen in itself. It is hard to make it even better. No matter how many sunblocks you apply or how high the SPF is, one still has to re-apply it every 2 hours, if in the sun.

As a suggestion, maybe a suncreen that contains both chemical and physical filters will work best.
chocosweet
5% products discount

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
I'm just scared the protection will be reduced just in the case with sunscreen and makeup with spf or MMU - stability, compatibility and stuff

Probably i'm asking the wrong question, i mean will topping up physical ss help the bioderma NOT to degrade faster??

21, Asian, Regime: Queen Helene Mint Julep Scrub, DIY B3-rose toner, DIY C+MSM serum, Finacea gel; Oil: tamanu & emu! Fav chem SS: RoC Soleil Protexion SPF50 Sensitive Skin; Physical SS: All Terrain Aquasport, currently using Elemental Herbs Kids; Skin type: normal; Concern: clogged pores on lower cheek, PIH
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:54 am      Reply with quote
As RS says, why not?

You could also apply a mineral powder over the Bioderma to reduce the tackiness (which is what I do). The concern was with titanium dioxide degrading avobenzone, but the spray version doesnt appear to have avobenzone. The Tinosorbs in it are stable and stabilize the other ingredients:

WATER (AQUA), DICAPRYLYL CARBONATE, OCTOCRYLENE, METHYLENE BIS- BENZOTRIAZOLYL TETRAMETHYLBUTYLPHENOL, BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE, ALCOHOL DENAT., BIS-ETHYLHEXYLOXYPHENOL METHOXYPHENYL TRIAZINE, HYDROXYPROPYL DIMETHICONE BEHENATE, TOCOPHERYL ACETATE, ECTOIN, MANNITOL, XYLITOL, RHAMNOSE, FRUCTOOLIGOSACCHARIDES, LAMINARIA OCHROLEUCA EXTRACT, DECYL GLUCOSIDE, C20-22 ALKYL PHOSPHATE, XANTHAN GUM, DISODIUM EDTA, PROPYLENE GLYCOL, CITRIC ACID, CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC TRIGLYCERIDE, SODIUM HYDROXIDE, PHENOXYETHANOL, PROPYLPARABEN, METHYLPARABEN, ETHYLPARABEN.
http://www.beautytools.com/BIODERMA-Photoderm-MAX-SPF-100-50-Spray-p/bio-max-spray.htm

Octocrylene is a photosensitizer for some, and that might be what is bothering your skin. Uriage BarieSun Childrens doesnt have octocrylene, is invisible and is moisturizing.

http://www.frenchcosmeticsforless.com/proddetail.php?prod=160158

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:41 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
The concern was with titanium dioxide degrading avobenzone, but the spray version doesnt appear to have avobenzone.

fawnie- if the ingredient list you posted is correct then the spray version DOES have avobenzone. It lists BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE as one of the ingredients. This is avobenzone.
chocosweet
5% products discount

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:44 am      Reply with quote
fawnie

So you mean, as long as avobenzone ( is BUTYL METHOXYDIBENZOYLMETHANE right?) is stabilized with tinosorb, it is OK to top up with zinc oxide sunscreen?

correct me if i'm wrong but from my understanding, avobenzone is degraded in a presence of zinc oxide

that's why I'm asking if it's ok to layer up (not mixing them)

thanks
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:13 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for catching that h.kitty!
Wink

I asked about sunscreens on Longecity and it was confirmed there that Tinosorbs (both S and M) stabilize avobenzone. I use a zinc oxide MMU with my Uriage SS and have not gotten any sun damage or evidence of collagen damage for 2 years now.

"If your avobenzone-containing sunscreen has stabilized avobenzone, you won’t have to worry as much about it destabilizing with these other ingredients."
http://www.skinacea.com/faq/sunscreen/s02-makeup-destabilize-sunscreen.html#.U5JnoFhdX4g

5% products discount

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
thanks fawnie!

summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
Whether avobenzone can be stabilized depends on the % of other ingredients.

Most of us know that Eva Victoria is the product formulator of sunscreens.

She says that:
Tinosorb M 3% and Tinosorb S 2% will not be able to stabilize AVO 100%. Esp. not over time.

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/21473-sunscreen-profiles/page-5#entry593708

Unlike physical sunscreen, we don't know the percentage of chemical sunscreen filters; like Tinosorb S , Tinosorb M etc.

That is why I stay away from chemical sunscreens, let alone layering physical sunscreen (zinc oxide) over chemical sunscreen containing avobenzone.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |