Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Sunscreen that has highest possible UVA protection?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
khaleesi
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
In the UK we have a star system and 5 stars is the highest amount and protects from 90%-100% of the UVA rays. But the only one i can find is from Boots and it contains alot of chemicals and im looking for one that contains Zinc oxide mainly.

So i was thinking of looking at US products now but im confused to how you in the US rate sunscreens ive seen PA+++ on some of Badger's sunscreen but im not sure what that means though the main ingredient is zinc oxide but i want to know if this is equivalent to the 90-100% protection and i cant seem to find much online about it.

Anyone know?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
the +++ system is a Japanese classification system for UVA protection.

http://www.ratzillacosme.com/sun/japan-pa-system-for-uva-protection-revised/

I prefer the Tinosorbs in European sunscreens since they are completely invisible and not drying (zinc is too drying for me and sometimes gives a weird white cast).

http://www.skinacea.com/sunscreen/uv-filters-chart.html#.U6ncxI1dX4g

LRP Anthelios has some SSs that claim to be ppd 42 but they dont get v good ratings since they are thick pasty and white.
http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=143712/Anthelios-XL-SPF50+,-Creme-Fondante,-PPD-42/La-Roche-Posay/Sunscreen

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:02 am      Reply with quote
I saw this http://www.boots.com/en/Soltan-Face-Moisturising-Suncare-Cream-SPF50-50ml_1207078/

this seems to have tinosorb s in Smile but it also has octocrylene and avobenzone but i heard octocrylene makes the avobenzone stable and its above it in the list of ingredients Smile Plus its 5 star for uva protection so think i may try this when it comes back into stock. Which ones have you tried with tinosorb in?

Have not tried a zinc one and was actually considering making a homemade one based on zinc and some oils. But i can imagine it wouldnt be great for dry skin i guess.

How is ppd measured against ppf? I contacted sunsense about their sensitive cream and they replied saying it was ppf 20.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:21 am      Reply with quote
Tinosorb seems to stabilize about everything, but esp avobenzone. The Skinacea link I cited explains.

About ppf: http://books.google.com/books?id=ALt93yGZccQC&pg=PA108&lpg=PA108&dq=ppf+sunscreen&source=bl&ots=7V0d4Qpf4f&sig=eTGTztoYXuhNGmx5Q0BIH80FjNo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Nb2qU8_rI9WjyASJj4KADw&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=ppf%20sunscreen&f=false

Ive tried Bioderma PhotoMax (a bit shiny and silicone-y) and Uriage BarieSun Children's Lait (my fave) with Tinosorb and I like that they give me excellent stable protection w/o making me break out in cystic acne.

Ive tried hundreds of formulas and narrowed it down to a few, based upon what filters I like and what ingredients in the base I need to avoid (CYCLOPENTASILOXANE is one, fragrance is another, aloe for sure I avoid in sunscreens).

Making your own sunscreen is tricky to uniformly homogenize the zinc particles in the base so that you get adequate protection. This is one product I dont DIY - there are plenty of good sunscreens available.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:52 pm      Reply with quote
Had a look for those spf's and i dont think they are available in my country Sad I have heard that putting makeup with zinc and things ontop of those chemicals like avobenzone etc can destabilize them? Not sure about it but did make me think as i wear makeup everyday.

I understand what you are saying about the diy ones but i heard zinc oxide is best for sensitive skin most sunscreens have stung my skin in the past.
khaleesi
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:57 pm      Reply with quote
Had a look for those spf's and i dont think they are available in my country Sad I have heard that putting makeup with zinc and things ontop of those chemicals like avobenzone etc can destabilize them? Not sure about it but did make me think as i wear makeup everyday.

I understand what you are saying about the diy ones but i heard zinc oxide is best for sensitive skin most sunscreens have stung my skin in the past.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
khaleesi wrote:

What country are you in?

Are you willing to order online?

My current favorite SS is from Paula's Choice. It is the tinted Resist Ultra Light spf 30. I did a review on it. It is all zinc. No, it is not the most protective SS; but I want to wear this everyday.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Tinosorb seems to stabilize about everything, but esp avobenzone. The Skinacea link I cited explains.

About ppf: http://books.google.com/books?id=ALt93yGZccQC&pg=PA108&lpg=PA108&dq=ppf+sunscreen&source=bl&ots=7V0d4Qpf4f&sig=eTGTztoYXuhNGmx5Q0BIH80FjNo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Nb2qU8_rI9WjyASJj4KADw&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=ppf%20sunscreen&f=false

Ive tried Bioderma PhotoMax (a bit shiny and silicone-y) and Uriage BarieSun Children's Lait (my fave) with Tinosorb and I like that they give me excellent stable protection w/o making me break out in cystic acne.

Ive tried hundreds of formulas and narrowed it down to a few, based upon what filters I like and what ingredients in the base I need to avoid (CYCLOPENTASILOXANE is one, fragrance is another, aloe for sure I avoid in sunscreens).

Making your own sunscreen is tricky to uniformly homogenize the zinc particles in the base so that you get adequate protection. This is one product I dont DIY - there are plenty of good sunscreens available.

Was looking at the uriage bariesun one you mentioned. Do you put that on and let it sink in before doing moisturiser/primer etc on top or do you put it on last? I read the tinosorbs dont completely absorb in the skin.
khaleesi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
khaleesi wrote:

What country are you in?

Are you willing to order online?

My current favorite SS is from Paula's Choice. It is the tinted Resist Ultra Light spf 30. I did a review on it. It is all zinc. No, it is not the most protective SS; but I want to wear this everyday.

Im from the UK Smile Could you find me the link to the PC one i cant seem to find the one you are talking about and it isnt on the PC uk site. Thankyou.
khaleesi
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
What does anyone think of these ingredients ...tinosorb is quite high up the list but its does contain avobenzone and octocrylene

Aqua, C12-15 alkyl benzoate, Methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol (nano), Butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, Butylene glycol, Octocrylene, Tridecyl salicylate, PVP/eicosene copolymer, Bis-ethylhexyloxyphenol methoxyphenyl triazine, C18-36 acid glycol ester, Polyglyceryl-3 methylglucose distearate, Titanium dioxide (nano), Polysilicone-15, Decyl glucoside, Phenoxyethanol, Diethylhexyl butamido triazone, Potassium cetyl phosphate, Parfum, Tocopheryl acetate, Vitis vinifera seed oil, Acrylates/vinyl isodecanoate crosspolymer, Glycerin, Dimethyl oxazolidine, Propylene glycol, Potassium hydroxide, Xanthan gum, Tetrasodium EDTA, Manganese dioxide, Panax ginseng extract, Sodium ascorbyl phosphate, Aminomethyl propanol

it has a uva 5 star rating too which is good.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
Tinosorb stabilizes the other sunscreening ingredients. I like tinosorb better than any other ones. Its the silicones that I hate in most sunscreens.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:18 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |