Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Using both carrot oil and carrot seed oil in DIY sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
dunnetahl

Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:07 am      Reply with quote
I've been researching making my own natural sunscreen using coconut oil and shea butter as a carrier for a few base oils (like avocado oil and red raspberry seed oil) as well as aloe and beeswax.

All of the recipes I've found online say to use carrot seed oil, which is an essential oil, although they don't specify this and a lot have pictures of what looks like base carrot oil. (carrot seed essential oil being more light yellow in color and carrot oil being more golden)

There are a ton of resources you can find on the first page of google that go into depth about the differences.

From what I gather, the carrot seed oil is supposed to have a really high SPF, while the carrot oil is supposed to be great for sun tanning and evening out skin tone, etc.

What I can't find is any documentation on whether both can or should be used in making your own natural sunscreen. I am hoping to use both and just wanted to know if it would be a good idea. Thanks.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:41 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if you are or not, but I would not rely only on natural oils as my main sun protection. Those high SPF numbers you see floating around the net for oils such as Carrot Seed Oil, Red Raspberry, etc. are very mis-leading and sometimes inflated IMO. SPF is only referring to the protection from UVB rays. And you have no idea how much UVA (aging rays) protection your getting. Small amount compared to Zinc Oxide. Plus, with commercial sunscreens, you have to apply 2 milligrams per square centimeter (mg/cm2) to achieve the SPF stated on the bottle. Even if these oils did have such a high SPF number, how in the world would you know how much you needed to apply to achieve that number? Much more than people would use I'm positive of that. Just like hardly anyone uses the correct amount of commercial sunscreens. I'm a big fan of using protective oils. I use Buriti oil under my sunscreen. Has more Beta-Carotene than Carrot Oil. I've use Urucum Oil in the past. Both these oils are reddish in color and offer another layer of protection used under a sunscreen or used in a DIY sunscreen with Zinc Oxide.
dunnetahl

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:25 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the speedy reply. I'm not concerned about cancer protection, just a little extra protection from burning. I don't want to block the UVA/UVB as zinc/titanium oxide would. I currently just work in the sun completely unprotected and am only experiencing mild burning when in the sun for more than a few hours during peak times (my skin is mostly protected from the inside by eating lots of fats and chlorophyll-rich greens; I used to burn in just 30 mins).

Didn't really answer the question though...

Is it advisable to mix carrot oil and carrot seed essential oil into a natural sunscreen together or would it be better to use one or the other?

So I actually found some solid information here:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=32475

That resolved a little bit of confusion. It seems there are three different products.

1. Carrot Seed Essential Oil (yellow)
2. Carrot Seed Carrier Oil (green)
3. Carrot Base Oil (gold/brown)

There was some helpful information from the high altitude organics website, they had a page on the difference between carrot seed oil and carrot oil but didn't mention anything about the essential oil.

From what I can gather, they are all good for the skin and for tanning and for sun protection, with the seed oil offering the higher SPF and the EO being more concentrated nutrient-wise offering the most SPF. My thought is to mix all 3.

I'm thinking equal parts Carrot Seed Carrier Oil with Red Raspberry Seed oil plus a dozen or two drops of Carrot Seed EO, then mix this all with avocado oil, filtered whole plant aloe vera gel, coconut oil, beeswax and shea butter to make my sunscreen.

I'll let you know how it turns out. If anyone can provide anymore information regarding the mixing of these 3 different carrot oils I would greatly appreciate it.

Just FYI, I found Carrot Base Oil available on amazon in the orange/gold/brown colour.

So I think that successfully confirms 3 different carrot oils.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Carrot root oil is the one with the beta carotenes, while carrot seed oil is most often used for detoxification:

"Carrot oil is a CO2 extract of dried carrot root in Jojoba oil, making this wonderful distillation much easier to include in skin and hair care recipes. The oil does have a light, sweet and earthy aroma, though it is its actions when topically applied that are Carrot Root Oil's highlights. This bright orange oil is distilled from the root, and has different properties than Carrot Seed (the essential oil from the seed is often used for detoxification and regeneration of both skin and liver cells - these two oils can certainly be used in combination in your recipes)"
http://www.anandaapothecary.com/aromatherapy-essential-oils/carrot-oil.html

UVA rays are the ones responsible for photoAGEING, so I always use a sunscreen with a high PPD factor (refers to UVA protection).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
The problem with some of the high SPF oils (carrot seed carrier and red raspberry specifically) is that they are such heavy oils that they don't sink in well and you end up looking like an oil slick. I have dry skin and I still feel greasy. It may not bother you so much.

If you are looking into natural options, also look into astaxanthin and lycopene. Both offer some sun protection - both taken orally and in a topical oil-based solution (they are orangish-red, so be aware that it may tint your skin if applied topically).

Let us know how this works out.
MissVanilla

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:31 am      Reply with quote
Be advised that Carrot Seed Oil (essential oil) has a very strong, earthy fragrance. At least, the one I bought from Eden Botanicals does.

I tried a few drops in my regular sunscreen, but the odor is so strong and lasts a long time. I don't want to smell like a salad all day.
Obscene Ramen

Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Dunnetahl, did you ever end up making this sunscreen? How did it work out for you? I was having similar thoughts about this kind of sun protection and am also considering these ingredients.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |