Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Raspberry Seed Oil for Sunscreen DIY
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
clairenova

Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I am going to make sunscreen with raspberry seeds oil, avocado oil, soybean oil, and other carrier oil I have with spf, and Zinc Oxide, I am trying to target a certain spf by calculating the weighted spf of the oil I am using by the percentage, I take average spf value that I find on the internet, due to the different numbers from different post:

Raspberry Oil Seeds 40
Avocado Oil SPF 10
Olive Oil SPF 6
Sesame Seed Oil SPF 4
Jojoba Oil – SPF 4
Coconut Oil – SPF 5
Zinc Oxide

If I take even amount of every ingredient, then the average spf from the oil is about 10, and the zinc is 14%, so the total spf is 24.

I don't want to add too much zinc oxide since make the mix very white, the only ingredient that can bring up spf is raspberry oil seeds, but in all the recipes I have found on internet, it seems raspberry oil and carrot seeds oil are used as drops, more like essential oil instead of in ml/tsp like carrier oil. I wonder if these two kinds of oil can be used just like carrier oil with high percentage?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I think it is a very bad idea to make your own sunscreen.

Where was this recipe posted?

Any sunscreen product that is purchased as a (labeled) sunscreen, has been lab tested.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried making my own sunscreen. It is very difficult to get the zinc evenly dispersed.

Raspberry seed oil is pretty heavy. You may not like the consistency of the sunscreen if you use 40%.

Frankly I've found it easier to buy a good zinc sunscreen instead. There are many choices out there now.
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:13 pm      Reply with quote
The SPF claims for Raspberry seed oil have been fooling people for some time now. Guess it always will when it always has that high SPF number attached to it on a zillion web links. I use Buriti oil under my sunscreen.
http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/buriti-oil-an-anti-aging-dream/#axzz2rLHntHkh

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13176&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
Xien
5% products discount

Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:41 am      Reply with quote
I thought beeswax should be included in sunscreen formulations. That's a basic ingredient I see in home recipes for sunscreen.

Does anyone have a good brand recommendation for natural sunscreen? Something that's not too oily and non pore-clogging?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:22 am      Reply with quote
The Devita and Burnout sunscreens have physical filters. If you do a board search, there has been much discussion.

I am currently wearing Paula's Choice Resist Ultra Light spf 30. It is lightly tinted with zinc oxide. It is cruelty free and fragrance free (all PC products are).

It is really hard for me to find a sunscreen that I can wear everyday. I have literally tried dozens over the years.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Here is a link to an article that explains the science of how anti-oxidants can influence a spf rating for sunscreens.

http://thetriplehelixian.com/2013/04/25/the-meaning-of-spf-and-how-antioxidants-and-anti-inflammatories-can-skew-exaggerate-and-mask-those-ratings/

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:01 am      Reply with quote
Yes, I was wondering where you got those SPF values from. For example, i highly doubt that olive oil has an SPF of 6. What was the reference for these SPF values?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:53 am      Reply with quote
I've not actually used this yet, but looks like you can enter the ingredients and it will output an SPF estimate.

https://www.sunscreensimulator.basf.com/Sunscreen_Simulator/Login_show.action
clairenova

Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:01 am      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:
I think it is a very bad idea to make your own sunscreen.

Where was this recipe posted?

Any sunscreen product that is purchased as a (labeled) sunscreen, has been lab tested.

There are a quite a few recipes by searching "natural spf" or "natural sunscreen".

I am not particularly using any of these recipes, just got an idea of the spf's and how other people are doing and then make my own.
Xien
5% products discount

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I'm currently using a bb cream with spf 50 whenever I go out, should I still use a sunscreen underneath you think?

Does anyone use sunscreen when u stay home? Just wondering Laughing
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
Xien wrote:
I'm currently using a bb cream with spf 50 whenever I go out, should I still use a sunscreen underneath you think?

I use sunscreen every day. I may *plan* on staying inside but Life happens and I may have to run outside for some reason and be exposed. Shock

It depends on what the sunscreen ingredients are in the BB cream I guess Xien. I like my sunscreen best for its stability and lack of silicone horrors so I wear it under anything. I dont use BB cream tho, just my bareSkin foundation or some mineral makeup powder.

5% products discount

Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:57 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Xien wrote:

I use sunscreen every day. I may *plan* on staying inside but Life happens and I may have to run outside for some reason and be exposed. Shock

It depends on what the sunscreen ingredients are in the BB cream I guess Xien. I like my sunscreen best for its stability and lack of silicone horrors so I wear it under anything. I dont use BB cream tho, just my bareSkin foundation or some mineral makeup powder.

I work indoors all the time but I read that fluorescent lights emit UV rays to age you prematurely as well Neutral I wonder how many people took this seriously. Gosh and how do you tell if the lights in your office are fluorescent or not? Sorry if the question sounds dumb lol I have never bought a bulb in my entire life. Embarassed

I hope you take Vitamin D supplements? Avoiding the sun caused my D levels to fall drastically low and I didn't realize till I developed inflamed bumps on my nose and ears. They went away after the doctor instructed me to supplement with Vitamin D and to expose other parts of my body to the sun every now and then.

You are right about the silicones in BB creams being bad for you, they shouldn't be marketed as skincare products in the first place.. possibly a bit better than makeup but I am just using it because I never found a sunscreen that I like enough to wear daily. Most are sticky or has a white cast. Yet I have to since I am using retinol at night. I might try Devita next as Autuum suggested. I'm using Laneige BB cushion at the moment with some chanel loose powder, if I'm indoors whole day I don't bother.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:28 am      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
I've not actually used this yet, but looks like you can enter the ingredients and it will output an SPF estimate.

https://www.sunscreensimulator.basf.com/Sunscreen_Simulator/Login_show.action

Thank you, Shastagirl!

Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Pandax12 wrote:
The SPF claims for Raspberry seed oil have been fooling people for some time now. Guess it always will when it always has that high SPF number attached to it on a zillion web links. I use Buriti oil under my sunscreen.
http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/buriti-oil-an-anti-aging-dream/#axzz2rLHntHkh

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=13176&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Seems everyone, including Cosmetic Design, is quoting the same sentence:

The SPF of red raspberry seed oil has been found to be equal to that of titanium dioxide and has been rated to have an SPF as high as 28-50.

Lotioncrafter mentions the existence of a study although I haven't had a chance to look for it:

Notably, the Oomah study also indicates red raspberry seed oil may act as a broad-spectrum UV-A and UV-B shield when used at full strength. According to the Oomah study, with a protection factor equal to titanium dioxide and a potential SPF between 28-50, it may prove valuable in sun screen formulations. This was merely a study indicating some sunscreen potential, but it should, by no means, be relied upon without further independent testing. Red Raspberry Oil is a natural crop and, as such, its constituents can vary from batch to batch or harvest to harvest. As with any cosmetic raw material, any sunscreen benefits would have to be proven or disproven through sunscreen testing of any sunscreen formulation.

I really like Buriti oil too.
System
Automatic Message
Thu May 02, 2024 7:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |