Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Hard Water and skin dryness
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
So as I mentioned in the shower head filter topic, I have very hard water and I ever tested the pH to find it very alkalinized at 8.5. Would this cause my skin to be as dry as it is? And would a more acidic water something in
The 6-7 pH range be better since it is closer to the skin pH of 5.5? Thanks
BitterSweet
5% products discount

Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Hi Hawkman,

I am into water these days too. Just had a water softener installed in my home for my well water.

It had an alkaline pH of 7.85 & tested 8 on the water hardness scale. 8 is considered hard water from an abundance of calcium & magnesium, not overly hard but enough to notice it. After the system was installed which also has a particle filter for TDS, my hardness went down to 2 which is considered slightly hard. I find it a pleasure with no more dry, itchy skin & my hair loves it too. No more build up around my faucets & in the dishwasher, shower, laundry, etc.

The pH only changed slightly though going down to 7.5, so my water is still a healthy alkaline pH which is preferable in drinking water.

From what I understand, if your water is hard above 7 on the water hardness table, then softening it will only slightly alter the pH since the hard water is heavily buffered from the calcium, magnesium which keeps the pH up there.

Lowering the pH would be tricky which usually involves chemicals & lots of maintenance to keep an eye on it. It would be much easier to add a water softener.
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:47 am      Reply with quote
That sounds good. What kind of softener did you get, how much was it ? Because I really wanna soften my water badly
Ollie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
Do you notice a difference in hair Bittersweet with the water softener? Do you have to change it or have it serviced? I'm with you Hawkman....I'm tired of this dry, itchy skin and lifeless hair!! Wondering the cost of this also??
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:08 pm      Reply with quote
Yea my skinis very dry, it feels like I'm bathing chemicals afterward I'm tired of if, fine lines, flakiness. It's very bad. At 200 ppm I have very hardwater!! The cost I saw is a few hundred to a couple grand
BitterSweet
5% products discount

Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:24 pm      Reply with quote
Yes Ollie, I have noticed a difference all around. Not as much with my hair since I use WEN Cleansing Conditioner, but my husband's hair has drastically improved.

Both our itchy, dry skin is now soft & silky.

My appliances & faucets no longer have build-up.

Hawkman, your 200 ppm is equivalent to just under 12 on the hardness scale which is towards the bottom end of very hard. Anything over 10 is considered very hard. In parts of the country water hardness is much, much higher ranging 25 to 45 which would be intolerable.

My system installed was around $1,500 from my heating guy.

You can go to Sears, Home Depot or Lowe's which will do free water testing & get a quote. I believe there are different grade systems & you may be able to get one cheaper.

You can't really take water hardness out with a shower head filter. They mostly filter out chlorine. A water softener is an ion exchange between the over abundance of calcium/magnesium with either sodium or potassium pellets. I use a 50/50 blend of both.
Hawkman564
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:04 am      Reply with quote
BitterSweet wrote:
Yes Ollie, I have noticed a difference all around. Not as much with my hair since I use WEN Cleansing Conditioner, but my husband's hair has drastically improved.

Both our itchy, dry skin is now soft & silky.

My appliances & faucets no longer have build-up.

Hawkman, your 200 ppm is equivalent to just under 12 on the hardness scale which is towards the bottom end of very hard. Anything over 10 is considered very hard. In parts of the country water hardness is much, much higher ranging 25 to 45 which would be intolerable.

My system installed was around $1,500 from my heating guy.

You can go to Sears, Home Depot or Lowe's which will do free water testing & get a quote. I believe there are different grade systems & you may be able to get one cheaper.

You can't really take water hardness out with a shower head filter. They mostly filter out chlorine. A water softener is an ion exchange between the over abundance of calcium/magnesium with either sodium or potassium pellets. I use a 50/50 blend of both.

Thanks for the info, it's good to
Know. Sadly my 200ppm water is freezing cold, turn on even a lil warm and it shoots up to 325ppm. Do you know what that is on the scale? And im glad you noticed a difference
BitterSweet
5% products discount

Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:32 am      Reply with quote
Hawkman564 wrote:
Thanks for the info, it's good to
Know. Sadly my 200ppm water is freezing cold, turn on even a lil warm and it shoots up to 325ppm. Do you know what that is on the scale? And im glad you noticed a difference

To convert, take your ppm's divided by 17.1 which will give you the gpg (grains per gallon). This would convert your 325 ppm to around 19 which is very,very hard - ouch! Laughing

There shouldn't really be much difference between your hot & cold water. They usually take the water sample from the cold line. Maybe you have excessive build-up from over the years in your water heater & pipes causing the hardness to shoot up when using warm or hot water. Other than that, I am not really sure why the warm water would be so much higher since they come from the same water supply?

You may also have excessive iron in your water. Do you get rust stains?

How are you testing your ppm's? Hach makes testing strips that go from 0 - 25 gpg which is equal to 0 - 425 ppm's.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |