Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

The Derminator
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
wrinklefreeforever
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:06 pm      Reply with quote
I am definitely getting one. Does anyone know how often you have to replace the needles?
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:00 pm      Reply with quote
I 100% plan on buying a Derminator this July, I am convinced it is the best option for electronic at home dermarolling, quick question though, anyone have experience with the MyM device? Yes, it's basically a knock-off Dermapen that can be purchased for as low as $40 and as high as $150. Was just wondering if anyone had anything to say about it, I have read good reviews and sort of bad, most people say it's pretty effective. I was thinking of buying one on Ebay for $40 and just using for now, until I work my way up to the top of the line derminator. Smile
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I bought one knock-off MyM 2 years ago and it did not have any power at all, though it could move.

I asked for a replacement and the 2nd one was even worse.
MaryClaire
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:41 am      Reply with quote
Wrinklefree: This is taken from instruction manual of derminator:

The needles will become blunt after a certain time, depending on how often you treat, needling frequency, how large the treated skin areas are, how many times you go over the skin and how tough and thick the skin is (male skin is thicker than female skin). Scar tissue is harder than ordinary skin, facial skin is soft and thin, etc. A cartridge can nearly always be used more than once. When you feel more pain than when the cartridge was new or when the machine has trouble keeping proper needling depth, it’s time to replace it.

I used mine twice for the medical roll but easily could have used it again.

EC: I hate to see someone buy/use a MyM. It just drags way too much for me.
wrinklefreeforever
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:51 am      Reply with quote
I FINALLY BOUGHT MY DERMINATOR! So excited. Do any of you remember how long it takes to receive in the US, also does it comes with the needles? I am wondering if maybe I should order packs of needles to have on hand for when they run out.

Can't wait! Thanks to everyone who provided info that helped me make this decision!
Very Happy
flipper
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:18 pm      Reply with quote
I ordered mine on 5/27 and got it 5/4. U.S. Probably won't be able to use it for several weeks, but will try to test this week. Yay!
wrinklefreeforever
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:44 pm      Reply with quote
Okay so sounds like about 8 days. Not bad. Can't wait to use it. Did it come with all the needles sizes up to 2.5
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:56 am      Reply with quote
ho ho, I have just done my very first little, roll with my new derminator!!!

A few things.
First, I found it rather tricky trying to do the skin area thing so as to enable the timer to work properly.
I am pretty sure I didn't get it right.
However when I do crack it, it should make doing the whole face very accurate.

Second do it in front of mirror!!! I know stupid , but as it was only a product penetration roll (only a .25mm) and a test really I figure I can let myself off for being stupid!!

It is easy to do and I hardly felt it,but RS is right it does prickle afterwards!! ( and as I wasn't doing in front of the mirror and hadn't done the area properly I missed bits of my face!)

This does require practice and time to get it right. Thats why I am going to do that with just product penetration only and also, I will do it with the shortest needles too. Even tho it doesn't feel as sore as manually, when you are doing it, after you do feel it. I think because with a machine it always gets the right depth whereas when I do it I don't always maintain that pressure.

So tomorrow will be better!!

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:50 am      Reply with quote
summer2004 wrote:
I bought one knock-off MyM 2 years ago and it did not have any power at all, though it could move.

I asked for a replacement and the 2nd one was even worse.

Thanks for the tip, maybe it's best to stay away. I gotta remember that you get what you pay for.

MaryClaire wrote:

EC: I hate to see someone buy/use a MyM. It just drags way too much for me.

I appreciate the advice! Again I should probably stay away, I really want the derminator, I'll have to order on Wednesday, along with some extra needle cartridges. Thanks to both for the advice.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to mention that the Derminator (for US) is now available on owndoc.com (just decided to check and placed an order).

HTH

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Sigma, was just gonna post! I checked owndoc on my way to work (in traffic) and saw it was in stock. I want to order, but not sure if I should spend the money now, but god I want one!
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:46 am      Reply with quote
EC,

there will always be another batch.....
I sometimes wait; sometimes agonize whether to buy or not, since I have so many pieces of equipment that just sit there and not getting used at all.

My criteria - if you think you will really use it, it is worth it. For me - it should either take very little time or be very portable or be used very rarely (if takes more then 10 min) - then there is a chance that I will use it...

Best of luck whatever you decide!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
EC,

there will always be another batch.....
I sometimes wait; sometimes agonize whether to buy or not, since I have so many pieces of equipment that just sit there and not getting used at all.

My criteria - if you think you will really use it, it is worth it. For me - it should either take very little time or be very portable or be used very rarely (if takes more then 10 min) - then there is a chance that I will use it...

Best of luck whatever you decide!

That's exactly my issue, as you can see in my signature, I have an arsenal of skin care devices. I do and have used most, but most of the time they do sit idle, I am always looking into new products!

I however do know that I will use the derminator, mostly for more intensive rolls, 1mm+. I will probably use a manual roller if I decide to ever do daily or several times a week with a .25 or 0.5. What I want the derminator for is the heavy scar reducing rolls, and I could definitely use the single needle for some light pitted scars. They are still in stock, I am so close to ordering... ahhhhh. But you're right though, it's not like they wont be available again, I can just wait for the next batch. I wonder when they will finally have them in stock always, obviously the demand is high.
Anne5899
5% products discount

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:38 am      Reply with quote
EC413
I see from your "arsenal" of skin care devices that you have the Reaura and RF devices. I also have these, among others and I wondered if you have the intention of using either or both of these alongside the Derminator? I am also considering buying this and just hoped that you might have some knowledge regarding using these together?
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Anne5899 wrote:
EC413
I see from your "arsenal" of skin care devices that you have the Reaura and RF devices. I also have these, among others and I wondered if you have the intention of using either or both of these alongside the Derminator? I am also considering buying this and just hoped that you might have some knowledge regarding using these together?

Hello Anne!

I don't really plan on using both devices at once, I kind of like the slower approach to skin care, my skin is pretty darn tough, but I dont want to over do it! Sometimes a little goes a long way.

However, I think through my online research about dermarolling, that people do a lot of times use ReAura/Tria in conjunction with skin needling. Again, in my opinion it sounds like too much damage. Of course, these devices purposely cause skin damage in order to set up repair and renewal, but I like to stick with one device and do a series of treatments to test out it's effectiveness on it's own. But it's probably totally fine to do a light roll and then use an at home laser, just not too close together, or not in the same day at least. I think the only thing I'd be comfortable using with dermarolling is maybe red LED treatments a few days after rolling.

OKAY SOOOO.... I didn't order a derminator yet, I will in July once I am moved into my new apartment.

BUT, haha, I did order a needling device just to test out and get used to electric needling in the meantime. It's the "ZJchao micro needle pen", I know it's one of those Chinese knock-offs of the Dermapen, but you know what, with my Discover cashback rewards I only paid $58 and it arrives tonight by 9pm (Amazon Prime). Crazy Amazon has this new service for Prime Members that if you spend a certain amount, your item can arrive the SAME DAY for free, if it qualifies.

So, despite being warned about the Chinese knock-offs, I am going to give this pen a try. If I don't like it, I can return it easily with Amazon, Amazon is the best at returns. Device comes with 10 extra needle cartridges. Not a bad deal at all. The weird thing is, another seller on Amazon sells the SAME pen I got for 130-140$, only difference is theirs comes in a shiny gold box. So I feel good that I even got it at a fraction of THAT price.

I may go ahead and try to do a treatment tonight. I'll let you all know.

EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:27 pm      Reply with quote
Also sorry not trying to steer off topic and talk about a different device. I am getting a derminator indefinitely.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
So I got my knock off MyM dermapen (the one pictured above). It was packaged pretty nicely, device seems solid and mechanically pretty sound. I love the dial and the 9 speeds, and you can change to whatever speed you want, there isn't any preset speeds. I did a treatment with it. Rolled the majority of my face with 1.0, except the eyes and forehead I did very lightly and minimally with the .25. My face actually got pretty flushed, red/pink and tingly, it looked like I had done a pretty decent roll, although I didnt draw any blood, at least I didnt see any. BUT, as Mary Clair and others said, it just seems to drag at times. I used some HA serum and was able to get a good rhythm where it was gliding pretty well, but there were times when there was a weird resistance and it just didnt feel right, overall. I dont think I did any damage because I took it easy, however I dont think this is something that I would want to continue with long term, so I am returning to Amazon and mostly likely ordering the Derminator when its in stock on Monday. It's crazy because these Chinese knock off devices get pretty decent reviews, and on Amazon they have "Verified Purchase" next to reviews of people that actually purchased the product, so I wonder how many of them could be fake. But yeah, I mean I'm not saying this will completely ruin your skin, but it doesn't seem enjoyable with the occasional dragging it does.

I stumbled upon a thread on here where Sarah (owndoc) was explaining the device and the differences between the Dermajet (now Derminator) and the MyM and countless knock offs, and it really sold it to me. I really do think the Derminator is the absolute best electric needling device out there and I havent even used it yet.

Derminator it is, Goodbye MyM, should have known.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Wow my face is still a bit pink and flushed looking this morning, I went to work, I wonder if anyone is looking at me and wondering why haha.

Skin feels a bit tight and itchy, and I'm pretty sure those are common side effects from skin needling, so I have to say, the MyM works actually pretty well, for as cheap and basic as it is. I do agree that the design of the needles and the gliding while punching into the skin is sort of a flawed design, but I have to admit it seems to get the job done. I'm glad I only did 1mm max! My face probably would've looked horrible had I done a heavier roll.

Despite the decent performance of it, again the dragging was bothersome, it didn't hurt me, it didn't seem to cause damage or scratching but it just didn't make operation of it very smooth at times. I think the key for these MyM machines is to use on highest speed setting, and pull skin very taut, as well as applying generous HA or whatever serum you use to cause slip. With all of that being done, I do believe the device is capable of a good skin needling.

With all of that said, I do think the derminator takes things a step further with the design and the magnet and the fact that it pushes the needle out and sucks it in, a lot more power up and down. Also I like the single needle option.

So as I said, the MyM has been packed up and I'm sending back to Amazon today. I'll either order a Derminator Monday, or wait until a future batch.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:35 am      Reply with quote
FYI, derminators are in stock for all plugs! Just checked OwnDoc.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:28 am      Reply with quote
Damn! US sold out already. Crazy how fast these things are selling. They cant even keep them on the shelves lol.
wrinklefreeforever
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
My Derminator is still not here ... it's in New York though so needs to get out here to California. I couldn't wait so I ordered the UK plug and just bought a plug adapter. So if the US is sold out, you ladies can try that if you want.

Question: Can anyone help me out with a regimen for before during and after roll. Best products?
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
My skin is still a bit pink in areas that I concentrated on from the mym. Almosts looks like a rash but nothing too dramatic. I gotta say again, the mym although I hate the occasional dragging, seems to have performed a pretty decent 1mm roll. I am having all of the side effects that can be expected from rolling. The next day I had tightness and warmth, today (2 days after rolling) my skin is still slightly pink in areas and feels a bit rough, not terribly rough. So all in all I must hand it to the mym, despite not being the best option, it seems to needle the skin pretty decently. I imagine the derminator is even better, which is why I definitely have my eye on one.

Wrinkle free, I use hyaluronic acid before rolling and immediately after. I want to invest in a few more products, some natural cleansers and some sort of repair cream afterward (infadolan maybe). Google the after care instructions, you'll find a lot of suggestions. Don't use anything with a lot of additives and chemicals, you want to keep the skin hydrated and protected from the sun, but again try to invest in natural products, HA is a highly used serum to apply before and after, very hydrating.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:37 am      Reply with quote
All derminators back in stock!

Gotta say, darn my skin really reacted to that MyM 1mm roll I did last Thursday. My skin went through phases, warm, tight and red on Friday, red/pink and slightly rough Saturday, pink and slightly peeling on Sunday, and today I very very lightly used a little apricot scrub to slough off the flakes and put Elizabeth Arden's 8 hour cream on. At work now, there is still a few light pink areas but my skin is definitely in the recovery stage, it looks a lot better. I never had this good a roll with the manual ones because it wasn't so pleasant to do, but electric needling is where it's at! Will I order a derminator today? Hmmm.
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:01 am      Reply with quote
I also was lucky enough to receive one of the "good" MyMs and used it with good results for about a year. However, I just got the Derminator, and it is so much quicker to use and less painful. Where I used to go over an area 4 - 6 time, I just do a circle motion until the timer indicates treatment time is over. The timer is more useful than you may imagine. But the big difference to me is LESS TIME & LESS PAIN.

That being said, nothing wrong with the MyM when you receive one that works well, as obviously yours does. I was well pleased with mine, and I do think it was effective. When you feel like replacing your MyM, I would strongly endorse the Derminator. I received mine in Canada just about a week after ordering - to my mind tremendous customer service.
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, through my research before purchasing the MyM, I found a lot of people who had the red plastic model had variances, some worked great with the needles going up and down, some had needles that just vibrated or buzzed, some didnt have enough power. I purchased the metal pen (I know there are several different knock offs), with the dial power, so I do think this particular model is more powerful with higher speeds and a more sturdy construction. I was going to get the red/white plastic model, but noticed people complaining of various problems.

I did return it to Amazon because I didn't like the occasional drag and didn't want to use the machine long term however after looking at my results, I change my mind about it a little. I still absolutely want a derminator and will get one, but since the MyM costs 1/4th the cost of the derminator, I have to say it's a decent machine.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |