Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
The Derminator
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
There's a little icon of a page with an arrow at the top right corner of every post. To reply to a post just click the icon, and it will copy the post to your post.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:56 am      Reply with quote
Singlemom39 wrote:
Hi everyone. This is my first ever time on a forum, very excited!! So glad to find a community of good people to discuss these things. And to get honest opinions, not the paid, fake reviews on a products site.(especially amazon reviews)

I have been wanting to get a microneedling pen for a long time, but I always research things in extreme depth before purchasing. I cannot decide between the drpen or the derminator 2.

So I want to use it for pretty severe acne scarring. And I've been comparing the 2 devices for a year. I'm a single mom,and do not have money to waist. Not to mention, I don't want to make my skin worse.

So there are alot of you tube videos on drpen, but not alot on the derminator. It seems that the people that use the drpen at 1.0 or 1.5, get alot of bleeding, but on a couple other forums,people said they only got red with the derminator 2 at 2.25.

It was hard to find reviews on the derminator 2. Before finally finding this,I only found a couple hairloss forums on reddit discussing the derminator 2.

But on that forum, several people had concerns that the derminator 2 did not extend out to the depth it was supposed to. Which made me think it could be why in the videos I mentioned before, they only got red at 2.25 opposed to pin point bleeding at 1.5 with the drpen. A user also posted a video showing the needles coming out in extreme slow motion.(so you could see how far the needles were extending when running)You could clearly see the needles didn't always come out to the same length, and sometimes skipped and didn't come out at all.

Maybe he had a malfunctioning machine. But after seeing that, I decided to go with drpen, but I keep coming back to the derminator. Because it seems like it is superior to the drpen, if it works as it says, and really doesn't cause micro tearing. I always do this,even with purchasing small things, I spent weeks comparing reviews trying to find the best copper peptide to use,along with other products. I've literally spent probably a couple hundred hrs trying to find the right device and products. Crazy, I know, but I always do my research. Especially with things affecting my face.

So has anyone else experienced this?(the needles not extending at correct depth)

Has anyone compaired the drpen and the derminator 2?

Is the motor on the derminator 2 more powerful, and do you know the rpm? The drpen I was going to get goes from 10,000-18,000 rpm.

Also, I've read you can get blacklisted from owndoc just for asking questions about their products. I don't want to spend $200 on the device,and then not be able to get more cartridges just because I had some questions.

I wish I'd found this forum a year ago. Whenever I'd research the derminator, only couple reviews and forums came up. Most of the things were from the owndoc employees and Sarah Vaughtner, which obviously is probably biased since it's her device. The research on the micro tearing was also done by owndoc, not an independent analysis.

That's why I'm counting on your alls help. I just turned 39 last Saturday, and I want to get started on my skin. Would like to order in next couple days. I'm sorry for length of post, but I wanted to get opinions on all my concerns so I can finally make a decision.

Can't wait to discuss this and other things on this forum with you guys. Everyone seems kind, respectful and all around good,honest people. Sooo excited to have people to talk to. Very Happy wave

I use the Derminator 2 and I get pin pint bleeding when I use it at 0.75 or above especially at 1 or 1.5mm. I believe I read perhaps in the Dr Setterfeild book on dermal needling that you only need to needle until you start to see pin point bleeding in an area then you move on and that seeing significant bleeding isn't nessesery, however I do bleed. Also remember that everyone has different levels of vascularity so some will bleed a lot others less.

I like the Derminator because I don't need to numb (numbing crean isn't easy to get in the UK) with it, its not pain free but with the rollers I am cringing in pain and struggle to finish the job, the derminator 2 makes it much easier.

I got mine last autumn and used it quite a bit over the winter but much less so over the spring and summer. I don't have deep scaring to deal with but did suffer from acne and I have poor texture and micro-scaring. It did help with that over the cheeks and temples but less so elsewhere. I think it has helped with crows feet but not so much with the upper and lower eye area or the upper lip but dermal needling isn't a one time fix and it takes repeated use to see results.

I've used it less as my husband is now working from home and he is a bit horrified by dermal needling and the bleeding but I do plan to start up again in the autumn.

I believe the derminator 1 did have problems and the magnet seemed to fly out which was potentially dangerous so it is probably better to have the D2 and I think it is the only one they sell now. It might be less powerful / deep but most of the doctors who pioneered needling seem to think you will get results over time even with 0.5.

I also think you can trick the D2 into going deeper by selecting the single needle option during set up but they don't advise it and I've never done that.

I did previously about 12 years ago manage to treat some deeper scars with TCA cross and peels with copper peptides which I learned about on here which might be worth a look in to.
pandora77
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:07 am      Reply with quote
babu wrote:
For body and face, I go through the same cycle more less: I stay red and flushed with petechiae for up to 2 days according to needle and tissue depth. Then a very brief glow and plump for 24 hours max (must be due to post-rolling swelling), then it severely dries, peels off and dulls for 1-2 weeks of despair. Then it slowly improves again, always a bit better than before you started.

I find this observation by babu (who sadly it seems has not returned) really spot on regarding the process post roll. Initially I am red, a bit swollen then you get the initial plumpness and glow before it all drys out and deflates which it a pretty rough period as you worry you have made things worse but over time your skin renews, the plumpness comes back you do look better. I definetly had crows feet developing this time last year and now they are basically invisable even when I smile.

I am not sure its done as much for my upper or lower eye lids though.
Singlemom39

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:56 am      Reply with quote
Thank you Pandora77. You're information was very helpful. I also did a TCA peel at 15% a few years ago, but entire face.I do remember seeing some info about tca cross, I think I'm gonna look into that some more. I think I'm gonna go with the derminator 2. I'm gonna wait a couple more days to see if anyone comments that has used both the derminator 2 and the drpen. That way I can get a direct comparison.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:14 pm      Reply with quote
Singlemom39 wrote:
Thank you Pandora77. You're information was very helpful. I also did a TCA peel at 15% a few years ago, but entire face.I do remember seeing some info about tca cross, I think I'm gonna look into that some more. I think I'm gonna go with the derminator 2. I'm gonna wait a couple more days to see if anyone comments that has used both the derminator 2 and the drpen. That way I can get a direct comparison.

Good luck, I'm pretty sure that treating acne scars is something that needs a multi-pronged approch so looking into different modalities is a good idea.
basil_dev
5% products discount

Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:57 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I'm interested in this product, but when I messaged 'owndoc.com' to ask for help and advice, they basically said they can't answer any questions due to legal reasons.

So I was hoping someone on this thread could help me.

I have small white scars (hypo-pigmentation) all over my chest as a result of years of clogged pores/pimples

I also have sun damage, so I would be using it to treat this area.

Do you think this product may help with this? Has anybody else used the derminator for this kind of thing?

If the product would be appropriate for this kind of thing, do the instructions provided give sufficient information for me to work out how to use this product to treat my specific issue?

I've never heard of a company saying they offer no support whatsoever in terms of answering questions.

To be honest it makes me a little nervous.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

thanks
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Not sure why they do that. They have a very extensive forum, but it's read only, so you might have to dig a little. I do know that microneedling helps with both hypo and hyperpigmentation. It pretty much helps with everything as it promotes the growth of collagen.

And I totally trust the company. I love my Derminator! Wink

5% products discount

Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:37 pm      Reply with quote
Immacolata wrote:
Not sure why they do that. They have a very extensive forum, but it's read only, so you might have to dig a little. I do know that microneedling helps with both hypo and hyperpigmentation. It pretty much helps with everything as it promotes the growth of collagen.

And I totally trust the company. I love my Derminator! Wink

Thanks, I'll dig a little deeper:)
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Just derminated my lips and chin. Damn, do my lips bleed! Doesn't bleed on my cheeks and forehead but I must have some very veiny upper lip skin because it's like a torrent of blood!

So I'm slowly starting to see a real difference in lines. They're still there but there are fewer of them, and I'm able to cover them more easily than before. I figure it will take about another year of treatments before they're completely gone. I wish I could afford to get the Infini treatments - RF microneedling, but I don't have the $2000 or so it would take to treat this. So I shall try to be patient!

I also did another TCA peel on the backs of my hands. BURN! After I rinsed it off I slathered my hands with vaseline and put on cotton gloves. The last time I peeled my hands I was surprised and delighted at the result. I had a lot of age spots and now there are almost none. But damn, TCA hurts!

My mom used to tell me when I'd cry that she was pulling my ponytail too hard when she did my hair. "It takes pains to be pretty." Mom was right, God rest her soul.

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:37 pm      Reply with quote
When owndoc says you can't use diffrent cartridges, I don't belive that. Ive made several orders, I have the derminator 1. I can show you with pictures of cartridges with thier logo on the packaging BOUGHT FROM THEM, that I received diffrent cartridges. Not only was the packet diffrent (which doesn't bother me) but the plunger lengths WERE diffrent. One has a spring and one had a rubber sheath.
Again, I can prove this.

So how are all your needles the same and that you can't use other sellers cartridges when batch to batch, they're different?
Broomstick betty

Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:39 pm      Reply with quote
I must clarify, I have a 2 batches of cartridges that are diffrent. One bag has springs, the other has a rubber sheath. Both plungers are different lengths.
So I don't belive owndoc is telling the whole truth if I'm honest.
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
I just did my whole face for the first time in ages. I really went to town to make up for lost time. My face is red and tight! I want to get started again, my lips are the worst, still have smoker's lines, although they're not nearly as bad as when I first started.

I need to order more cartridges. I wish I could afford the Derminator 2 but that will have to wait. Anyone have good results to report?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I own both the Derminator original and Dr. Pen.

I like the fact that Dr.Pen seems more convenient, easy on and off, dial the depth, easy to hold etc but it does grab the skin no matter how fast or slow I go. Made the experience more painful for sure. I tried extra Hlyauronic acid and didn't make a difference so I gave up using this and bought the derminator 2 as I wanted more depth options and more needles.

I have Dr. Pen for sale if anyone wants it with a bunch of needles.

pandora77 wrote:
Singlemom39 wrote:
Hi everyone. This is my first ever time on a forum, very excited!! So glad to find a community of good people to discuss these things. And to get honest opinions, not the paid, fake reviews on a products site.(especially amazon reviews)

I have been wanting to get a microneedling pen for a long time, but I always research things in extreme depth before purchasing. I cannot decide between the drpen or the derminator 2.

So I want to use it for pretty severe acne scarring. And I've been comparing the 2 devices for a year. I'm a single mom,and do not have money to waist. Not to mention, I don't want to make my skin worse.

So there are alot of you tube videos on drpen, but not alot on the derminator. It seems that the people that use the drpen at 1.0 or 1.5, get alot of bleeding, but on a couple other forums,people said they only got red with the derminator 2 at 2.25.

It was hard to find reviews on the derminator 2. Before finally finding this,I only found a couple hairloss forums on reddit discussing the derminator 2.

But on that forum, several people had concerns that the derminator 2 did not extend out to the depth it was supposed to. Which made me think it could be why in the videos I mentioned before, they only got red at 2.25 opposed to pin point bleeding at 1.5 with the drpen. A user also posted a video showing the needles coming out in extreme slow motion.(so you could see how far the needles were extending when running)You could clearly see the needles didn't always come out to the same length, and sometimes skipped and didn't come out at all.

Maybe he had a malfunctioning machine. But after seeing that, I decided to go with drpen, but I keep coming back to the derminator. Because it seems like it is superior to the drpen, if it works as it says, and really doesn't cause micro tearing. I always do this,even with purchasing small things, I spent weeks comparing reviews trying to find the best copper peptide to use,along with other products. I've literally spent probably a couple hundred hrs trying to find the right device and products. Crazy, I know, but I always do my research. Especially with things affecting my face.

So has anyone else experienced this?(the needles not extending at correct depth)

Has anyone compaired the drpen and the derminator 2?

Is the motor on the derminator 2 more powerful, and do you know the rpm? The drpen I was going to get goes from 10,000-18,000 rpm.

Also, I've read you can get blacklisted from owndoc just for asking questions about their products. I don't want to spend $200 on the device,and then not be able to get more cartridges just because I had some questions.

I wish I'd found this forum a year ago. Whenever I'd research the derminator, only couple reviews and forums came up. Most of the things were from the owndoc employees and Sarah Vaughtner, which obviously is probably biased since it's her device. The research on the micro tearing was also done by owndoc, not an independent analysis.

That's why I'm counting on your alls help. I just turned 39 last Saturday, and I want to get started on my skin. Would like to order in next couple days. I'm sorry for length of post, but I wanted to get opinions on all my concerns so I can finally make a decision.

Can't wait to discuss this and other things on this forum with you guys. Everyone seems kind, respectful and all around good,honest people. Sooo excited to have people to talk to. Very Happy wave

I use the Derminator 2 and I get pin pint bleeding when I use it at 0.75 or above especially at 1 or 1.5mm. I believe I read perhaps in the Dr Setterfeild book on dermal needling that you only need to needle until you start to see pin point bleeding in an area then you move on and that seeing significant bleeding isn't nessesery, however I do bleed. Also remember that everyone has different levels of vascularity so some will bleed a lot others less.

I like the Derminator because I don't need to numb (numbing crean isn't easy to get in the UK) with it, its not pain free but with the rollers I am cringing in pain and struggle to finish the job, the derminator 2 makes it much easier.

I got mine last autumn and used it quite a bit over the winter but much less so over the spring and summer. I don't have deep scaring to deal with but did suffer from acne and I have poor texture and micro-scaring. It did help with that over the cheeks and temples but less so elsewhere. I think it has helped with crows feet but not so much with the upper and lower eye area or the upper lip but dermal needling isn't a one time fix and it takes repeated use to see results.

I've used it less as my husband is now working from home and he is a bit horrified by dermal needling and the bleeding but I do plan to start up again in the autumn.

I believe the derminator 1 did have problems and the magnet seemed to fly out which was potentially dangerous so it is probably better to have the D2 and I think it is the only one they sell now. It might be less powerful / deep but most of the doctors who pioneered needling seem to think you will get results over time even with 0.5.

I also think you can trick the D2 into going deeper by selecting the single needle option during set up but they don't advise it and I've never done that.

I did previously about 12 years ago manage to treat some deeper scars with TCA cross and peels with copper peptides which I learned about on here which might be worth a look in to.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
I should mention that I also have the original derminator for sale. Message me.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:12 am      Reply with quote
Hey bugaboo,
I had the original Derminator (bought in 2014) and loved it. I was able to eliminate my smokers lines and crows feet with it. I tried ordering more needle cartridges for it back in March of this year and was told that they no longer sell the original Derminator or the cartridges that go with it. They offered me a huge discount on the Derminator 2 if I sent them a picture showing that I cut off the hand piece of the Derminator (so it couldn't be resold on Ebay). The price of the Derminator 2 was $274.51 (Canadian $) and they gave me a discount of $179.33 (Canadian $). I loved the original Derminator and I think the Derminator 2 is as good or better than the original!

5% products discount

Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
Really? it got rid of your crows feet?

I have crows feet and I love my derminator, but I never dared to go around my eyes. Can you tell me your protocol for your crows feet? Do you suction them later or use a special lotion?
doodles
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:29 pm      Reply with quote
Full disclosure... I pretty much do what everyone says not to do around your eyes. I have been using .05% retin-a cream or 0.1% Tazorac gel (which I just found out they no longer make) up to my upper and lower lash lines for years which has definitely helped to keep the crows feet at bay. This is my protocol with the Derminator: First I numb my face with Emla - If I'm going to go through the hassle of numbing and disinfecting then I figure I may as well do my whole face rather than just one area at a time. I use the Derminator at 0.5mm depth around my eyes on the bony part only. I am very careful and take my time but doing it this way I am able to get very close to my eyes. For the upper lid I stretch the skin taught with one hand while using the Derminator with the other - again, needling on top of the bone only. After I am done needling and rinsing in the shower with copious amounts of water, I apply a thin layer of Tazorac gel and let it absorb for 10 minutes and then wash it off. I guess I will have to use the retin-a for this part now. I try and do this every 2 or 3 months. I will be 58 years old next month and have no crows feet or smokers lines. I definitely credit my protocol for this as looking at my siblings, I know it's not due to genetics LOL!

Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
As many know, the original derminator no longer has cartridges available. There is talk that the Dr Pen A6 cartridges will work, although from pictures on the net, the A6s looks more like the original derminator cartridges. As anyone purchased the above mentioned cartridges to know for sure?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |