Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

I feel as if I'm aging badly?! at 24.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:38 am      Reply with quote
I just turned 24 and don't know what's going on. First I noticed fine lines by my eyes and one in the crows feet area and a derm recommended botox. After I stopped worrying about that and started a good skin care. Two days ago I look and the mirror and the line that was always by my mouth since a baby. Looks wrinkled and when I stop smiling its a line forming. I currently use cetaphil wash, retin a, cervae face moisturizer, hyluronic acid eye cream and wear sunscreen, I exercise and eat great. My Mom is in her 40's with no wrinkles and none of my older sisters have them. I'm really in a dark place over this. Here's the photos https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/91077344@N02/15507040898/
DemiWatson
5% products discount

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:29 am      Reply with quote
There are many cause of wrinkles aside from aging. You are just 24 and aging might not be the factor why you have wrinkle formation. These are some of the factors of aging. See if few of these factors are present in your situation.

1. Smoking
2. Light Skin Complexion
3. Genetic Factors
4. Exposure to the sun and UV
5. Repeated Facial Expressions
ClaudetteSmith

Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:48 am      Reply with quote
Your skin is not bad as you think. Are you doing regular exercise? If you're not, then it's time to do so. You can try these 7 anti-aging foods for your skin:

1. Oats
2. Oranges
3. Avocados
4. Lean Beef
5. Brussels Sprouts
6. Salmon
7. Grapes

Hope it would help you!
LondonJamie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:00 am      Reply with quote
How are you sleeping? Beauty sleep is no joke. I've recently cut out all caffeine to help.

3 products you want to start using are:

1). A photostable sunscreen. Getting this part of your regime just right is so crucial. Look for Mexoryl/Tinosorb and if it contains avobenzone always look for octocrylene which stabilizes it.

My pic: La Roche Posay spf 15, Skinceuticals Ultra Facial Defence spf 50 or Ducray Melascreen spf 50.

2). Vitamin A derivatives. I like Avene Eulage for every night use. You may also like to add rosehip oil which is rich in vit. A.

3). Vitamin C. Builds collagen and will brighten/firm the face. Also boosts your protection from the sun. I love Cosmetic Skin Solutions C E Ferulic.

*If you are looking for a great moisturizer, try squalane, jojoba and macadamia nut oil on top of damp skin. A great commercial product that is brilliant is NIA 24 Skin Strengthening Serum- this encourages and helps your skin's own natural hydration process.

HTH!
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:04 am      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone. I'm just in shock. My skin is darker tone. I have what looks to be the beginning of smile lines. Lines under my eyes that appeared after using retin a. Its depressing to me. I don't drink or smoke. My genetics are grest . I Eat great, drink water and no sodas. I also use vitamin c serum. I mean I don't want botox or fillers. But do I have other choices? My skin complexion is dark* African American. I avoid the sun and use sunscreen. The only thing is I'm always studying.I don't know what's happening to me.
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:05 am      Reply with quote
I'll post photos of the lines later today.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:25 am      Reply with quote
lovelyheaven wrote:
Thanks everyone. I'm just in shock. My skin is darker tone. I have what looks to be the beginning of smile lines. Lines under my eyes that appeared after using retin a. Its depressing to me. I don't drink or smoke. My genetics are grest . I Eat great, drink water and no sodas. I also use vitamin c serum. I mean I don't want botox or fillers. But do I have other choices? My skin complexion is dark* African American. I avoid the sun and use sunscreen. The only thing is I'm always studying.I don't know what's happening to me.

Retin A can make your skin look dehydrated, which accentuates the fine lines. Sometimes this passes as you continue to use it for a few weeks or months. Or it just may not be suited to your skin right now.
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:22 pm      Reply with quote
@Shastagirl I've been using I've been using the retin a for months. I've just recently switched strengths to the 5. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if its "me". I'm the youngest of seven none if my older brother and sisters have these lines.
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/91077344@N02/15085341453/ when I smile its lines coming from inside the crease out. This is the line by my eye https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/91077344@N02/15084749504/ another is showing on the other. And I have small lines on the corner of my mouth and I line on my lower cheek going downward. Its notable when I'm talking and still there upon rest. This causing me so much anguish mentally. I know aging can start at 20. But its still depresses me. I mean how will I look at 30. I don't know what else to do.
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:30 am      Reply with quote
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/91077344@N02/15531054248/ this is the line by my mouth when talking and this one is no movement https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/91077344@N02/15096532414/
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:51 am      Reply with quote
You're smiling in every photo.....of course you would have folds there while smiling... I don't want to make you feel that your thoughts are silly, but that is very normal. I like your smile folds they are super cute.

Post some pics not smiling maybe?

I could be wrong but from a few pics I thoughr I saw a bunch of bumps on your skin? Have you ever addressed these bumps and tried to treat them or had a dermatologist ever said anything about them? I ask because having bumps on the skin is a sign of the skin having severe dryness/dehydration due to the bumps and the skin having an issue shedding/exfoliating so the bumps form which then means when you apply moisturizer, it doesn't really have an easy time getting into the skin to quench the dryness. The bumps create a barrier against moisturizer getting into the skin. Is there any chance you have bumps on arms and legs called keratosis pilaris? I recommend exfoliating gently on a daily or every other day basis (you don't want to cause more wrinkles by over exfoliating and being too harsh especially since the skin is too dry and fragile for this) and then immediately applying your moisturizer after so it has a chance sinking it. This skin process could take time to see results with the wrinkles so be patient. I hope this can help you! Not being able to see your whole face though, you are super pretty. Don't worry about such things and just enjoy being young and having a good time before it all passes you by. That is my biggest advice.

I really don't see anything wrong with your eyes, they look completely normal, I think maybe you are upset because they have changed slightly which usually should happen at age 24/25, you can start to see signs of aging even if it's slight. You are looking at yourself through a microscope though and no one will see these things from speaking with you in person EVER.
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:52 am      Reply with quote
Thanks pokerlady, if you look in the second photo on the last post I'm not smiling. I also have lines on the corner of the mouth when I'm not smiling. I don't want to sound silly. But a derm told me that any line is see would eventually get worse and turn into a wrinkle. And if I see them now, imagine me at 30? Also, the bumps are showing up because of retin a. My skin is very strange, as for instance on my cheeks. If I fold or bend my cheeks they don't bounce back only slowly and they feel really dry and I have huge pores. I know it seems like I'm freaking out but I see them. Are these lines reversible at all?
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Oh my goodness stop the retin a if it's giving you the bumps. That is bad news. I suspect you don't need retin a. You are 24 years old?!? Why on earth did your derm give this to you at a young age and at a high dosage?? I personally think your dermatologist is a quack. She/he is saying things I'm surprised for a dermatologist to say, it sounds to me like she/he is enjoying playing on your fears. Please seek a second opinion.

I think your skin has deteriorated/been damaged from the retin a, it's just too strong for your skin. Not every product works for everyone in the way it's intended to. each person's genetic makeup is different and if this skin change is suddenly happening you can bet a product has caused it, based off the products you have claimed to have used I'm sure it's the retin a. I had a horrendous reaction to Duac acne gel (which seems harmless) which I used ONE time prescribed by dermatologist where my skin color lost it's SKIN TONE in a matter of hours in the areas I applied it, and I battled pink dry skin and horrendous skin texture, lines on my face that overtook my whole face for years after that usage, I looked scary and it was the worst time of my life. You could be allergic to something in it, could be many reasons why you can't use the retin a. Has your sister or mother ever used retin a? I looked at the last post where you said you aren't smiling but the photo is such poor quality. I do not see anything but bumpy textured skin, no lines.

It may take some time to build your skin's elasticity again once you stop the retin a, it could take a year or so unfortunately but you have to be patient. I personally do not use products at high strengths, I watch my skin closely after introducing a new product to see any changes and take mental notes daily, I don't really use anything a dermatologist prescribes me, and i keep it simple. This has worked great for me, I'm cautious with products. It has caused me to go through a lot of products and return many only after a few uses because my skin shows reaction somewhat quickly but this is the safest way and has helped me figure out what my skin tolerates well which turns out to be simple products, fragrance free etc. I can message you what simple things I've done for my skin and you can give it a shot but just rememeber what worked for me could not work for you, so monitor your skin.

You never answered my question. Do you have bumps on your arms and back of thighs? Have you ever been diagnosed with keratosis pilaris?

I understand the huge pores, skin texture being very strange, it's all due to dryness and damaged skin due to dryness and dehydration and it's a vicious cycle. I believe these lines are reversible, but with time, it all depends on how long you have been damaging your skin with the products you have been using and whether you have any skin conditions that have not be diagnosed yet. I took one more look at the last photo you posted even though the photo is terrible quality and the lines (which are very fine lines I don't believe to be aging lines), I think, are forming due to the bumpy texture. The bumps are changing the makeup of the skin thus causing the lines and the severe dryness. How long have you been using the retin a? I will privately message you with skin care suggestions that you can give a try, but remember to monitor your skin because what works for one person may not work for another.
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer in this time of desperation it means so much @pokerlady

You never answered my question. Do you have bumps on your arms and back of thighs? Have you ever been diagnosed with keratosis pilaris?

No, I don't have bumps on the back of my thighs or arms. The only skin condition my derm says I have is eczema.
My Mom or Sisters don't use retin a, I got started on retin a orginally for acne and lines that were appearing on my forehead, but with hydration of water those kinda faded.

I posed the pics of me smiling because the lines shows better, that are in the corners. But I guess the resolution isn't that great. Some of the lines weren't caused by retin a, every since I can remember I had faint lines really short in tiny - laugh lines by my mouth but seems to get worse and are totally gone in the am. However, I've noticed that line I showed recently and its more appearing on my cheeks going down.

I've been so negative lately because all I think is I'm going to awake with lots more!

I got another opinion and that derm told me did I want fillers, that it was best to address to the lines now because they'll get deeper and worse fast and that lines/wrinkles aren't reversible. So this has been causing me alot of anxiety. I'm constantly examining my skin everyday and feeling depressed like I'm aging myself from studying for class so much. Other than that I drink water and stopped sodas in my teens and use sunscreen and avoid the sun. Even my Dad has no wrinkles in his 50's so its embarrassing. My nerves are super bad right now. And you can't really see the line by my but it extends to the side but not into the crows feet, but me and my thinking it'll expand. I'll check your email now!
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:28 am      Reply with quote
lovelyheaven wrote:
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer in this time of desperation it means so much @pokerlady

No, I don't have bumps on the back of my thighs or arms. The only skin condition my derm says I have is eczema.
My Mom or Sisters don't use retin a, I got started on retin a orginally for acne and lines that were appearing on my forehead, but with hydration of water those kinda faded.

I posed the pics of me smiling because the lines shows better, that are in the corners. But I guess the resolution isn't that great. Some of the lines weren't caused by retin a, every since I can remember I had faint lines really short in tiny - laugh lines by my mouth but seems to get worse and are totally gone in the am. However, I've noticed that line I showed recently and its more appearing on my cheeks going down.

I've been so negative lately because all I think is I'm going to awake with lots more!

I got another opinion and that derm told me did I want fillers, that it was best to address to the lines now because they'll get deeper and worse fast and that lines/wrinkles aren't reversible. So this has been causing me alot of anxiety. I'm constantly examining my skin everyday and feeling depressed like I'm aging myself from studying for class so much. Other than that I drink water and stopped sodas in my teens and use sunscreen and avoid the sun. Even my Dad has no wrinkles in his 50's so its embarrassing. My nerves are super bad right now. And you can't really see the line by my but it extends to the side but not into the crows feet, but me and my thinking it'll expand. I'll check your email now!

I figured it was something dry skin related whether keratosis pilaris or eczema. Retin A is a no-no for eczema so your derm letting you use that is baffling. What you need is moisture moisture and more moisture. Wow, you went to another horrible derm. What state do you live in? I can't really attest to derms being great though. I have found European doctors are better and smarter than American ones. American ones are such idiots and money grabbing. It sounds like the second derm wanted your money. I went to 10 American educated derms and they all gave me the wrong diagnoses and different prescriptions LOL. And they were all wrong, I figured it out myself using the internet and intuition. Isn't that sad. SO, do not put faith in dermatologists.

Try the things I have mentioned in PM for at least 3 months unless you start to see adverse effects, let me know, I would like to know how it goes for you.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
I can't see your photos. But I would include a really good photostable broad spectrum sunblock with PA++++. This is your number one weapon against aging.

For example:

http://www.ratzillacosme.com/reviews/best-pick-allie-extra-uv-gel-mineral-moisture-n/
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:12 pm      Reply with quote
@pokerlady I live near Sc. Most of my friends don't seem to see the lines I've asked a thousand times, but I can and that bothers me...because my mind is telling me it'll get worse and worse. I will try the remedy you mentioned and update you on that. Thanks alot
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:14 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
I can't see your photos. But I would include a really good photostable broad spectrum sunblock with PA++++. This is your number one weapon against aging.

For example:

http://www.ratzillacosme.com/reviews/best-pick-allie-extra-uv-gel-mineral-moisture-n/

Thanks, I've been using Cervae, but it's doesn't say broad spectrum I've noticed.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
The amount of zinc oxide is too low. I would not rely on it for broad spectrum protection.

lovelyheaven wrote:
RussianSunshine wrote:

For example:

Thanks, I've been using Cervae, but it's doesn't say broad spectrum I've noticed.
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:23 pm      Reply with quote
OK Thanks, I'll look into it.
Judy Chen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:27 am      Reply with quote
I did begin to age obviously when I was in my 20's too because I had no idea skincare should have started long before that. So now, I have to spend a lot and work a lot to buy and collect information on how to delay or correct ageing.
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:35 am      Reply with quote
Judy Chen, its really sucks a lot. I never knew you had to take care of your skin the way I do now. My Mom and sisters never used nothing on their skin and at age if 46 my Mom has no lines I examed her face so closely. What products have you been using and did you see results? I've been collecting information too and everywhere says you can't get rid of lines without surgery. That's very depressing to me.
Judy Chen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:55 pm      Reply with quote
Lovelyheaven, I have more fine lines and sagging skin than my mother, moreover, she has firmer skin than mine. And she doesn't virtually do skincare. She would just wash her face with Dove bar soap and put on Cetaphil after washing up. What can you say?
lovelyheaven
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:25 am      Reply with quote
My main thing is I'm seeing lines beginning to form. I don't know if its from dryness or what may be the case. But in the mirror up close I think I look hideous.
Judy Chen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
If you are in your 20's, you can correct the fine lines easier by improving moisturizing and diet..etc. I am at my mature age, and now need to work very hard just barely am able to delay those signs of ageing from developing too fast.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:56 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |