Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

vit.C serum yellow coloured - to use or not to use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:14 am      Reply with quote
I`ve purchased samples of Skinceuticals 20AOX serum and it has deep yellow colour.
The seller insists it`s fresh & new, and I know Skinceuticals says it too - that their vit.C serums can have colour ranging from slighty yellow to dark yellow and it does not affect their effectiveness.
BUT I bought samples of Skinceuticals CE Ferulic and Phloretin before and they were clean, with probably slight yellow cast.

so - should I use it or not?
I wouldn`t want to do more harm than good using an old (oxidated) vit.C serum...

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
its ok, just as long as it doesnt turn blood red.
Aiva
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
calorblind wrote:
its ok, just as long as it doesnt turn blood red.

ok, I see.
thank you!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:29 pm      Reply with quote
It sounds like it oxidized already, but I have not used that particular skinceuticals product to know what the color of it is supposed to be. I don't trust any C that is not clear to champagne in color, any darker in my mind means it has oxidized.
Lara1
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, it is sounds like it oxidized. I wouldn'r risk it. I had a samples before and they wasn't deep yellow colour.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
I know that Skinceuticals always says it's ok to use C serum with slight yellow or dark yellow color.

But I would like to know what happened when the Serum gets yellow? Is it actually some other things that oxidized so to protect the L-Acsorbic C, or is the C oxidized?
kdd2411
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:31 am      Reply with quote
Lara1 wrote:
I agree, it is sounds like it oxidized. I wouldn'r risk it. I had a samples before and they wasn't deep yellow colour.

I agree, you skin is not worth putting it on.
Justine1900
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
It's oxidised. It wouldn't have any antioxidant effect.
mayhua
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:11 am      Reply with quote
of course it will be a waste to throw it away but if i changes color , that means it is oxidised: gone bad. best to throw it away or use it on other parts of the body.better be safe than sorry!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:56 am      Reply with quote
I have read over and over again, that when a vitamin c serum turns color, this is the 2nd stage of oxidation, and at this point it becomes "Pro" oxidant, and is harmful to our skin.

The 1st stage of oxidation (of L-Ascorbic Acid) is when it is mixed with water at the get go. This is not dangerous though, and can safely be used until discoration starts..

Personally, I find any company that intentionally uses an ingredient in their C serum that causes yellowing from the get go, very suspect, and I would not use that product even for free.. (The Idebenone in Cellbone's serums, is the reason why I started my research to make my own.) I have never used Skinceuticals, and have no respect for them or their product, because they have the audacity to tell people to "use it up to the point it's blood red".. That is simply hogwash, and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Here's a nice little site with some good info on all things skincare, and some good information on C serums.. (Even a simple, basic DIY recipe is included at the bottom!

http://www.natural-skin-care-info.com/vitamin-c-serum.html

I would like to ask Skinceuticals users a question that I've been trying to figure out for a while.. A while back a few members mentioned a distinct "hot dog smell" with their C, E + FA serum..

I've made a tremendous amount of C serums using L-AA and never once recall 'any' smell no matter how long I had it... Twice, I made a serum using MAP, and both times at about the 6 week mark, they had a distinct (and quite gross) hot dog smell...

So my question is this; why does Skinceuticals C, E + FA serum get that 'hot dog' smell, when they don't have "MAP" listed as an ingredient?

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:11 am      Reply with quote
This is a problem I have had too. I have had Obagi's C Clarifying serum and it was yellow to start with. I think they put a yellow tint in it which I was really unhappy about because I guess you can't tell when it has oxidised. Unless it was actually oxidised from the start Shock I have researched to find out how to tell if this serum has oxidised and can only see stuff about "Obagi has a stable Vitamin C serum" blah blah. I'm going to throw it out as I think it's been getting darker.
Are there any Vitamin C serums out there that are totally clear ie no tint? Are they supposed to be clear "white" or do they always have a bit of a colour like champagne as said above?
Septembergirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:47 am      Reply with quote
TTD wrote:
This is a problem I have had too. I have had Obagi's C Clarifying serum and it was yellow to start with. I think they put a yellow tint in it which I was really unhappy about because I guess you can't tell when it has oxidised. Unless it was actually oxidised from the start Shock I have researched to find out how to tell if this serum has oxidised and can only see stuff about "Obagi has a stable Vitamin C serum" blah blah. I'm going to throw it out as I think it's been getting darker.
Are there any Vitamin C serums out there that are totally clear ie no tint? Are they supposed to be clear "white" or do they always have a bit of a colour like champagne as said above?

I have been trying various vitamin C serum throughout the years and - so far - found three brands that are perfectly clear for at least 3-5 months after opening: CellularskinRX C+, SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF and SkinMedica C Complex.

Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:53 am      Reply with quote
I have been using SkinCeuticals CE+Ferulic serum since it came out. But, back in March I started using a prescription of Finacea for small brown patches on my skin, and stopped using the C serum. I purchased the bottle back in March and maybe used it 2 times. Well, I went to start using it again the other day and it has turned a very dark yellow. So, it's been about 4 months and I have to assume it is no longer good. It is a shame because it is a new full bottle. I decided I won't throw it out, but maybe use it on my lower neck/chest area. I will order a new bottle to use on my face. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:19 am      Reply with quote
I bought some Skinceuticals C serum sample paks off Ebay once. They had a very slight yellowish caste so I contacted the company and they told me the product was fine and this was normal. It didn't look right to me so I returned it. It may be that all their C serums look this way, but I'm not willing to take the chance. That is why I started making my own. Wink

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Oops, I wanted to add that I buy directly from SkinCeuticals and when I receive the C serums, they are always clear. No color whatsoever. Over time they do turn a slight pale yellow color, but I am usually finished with a bottle before it gets to that point.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:57 am      Reply with quote
I use another brand vitamin c serum. I also find it turns brown in colour. I ask the agent it is suitable to continue use or not. They say it is not a problem and I can use it. But I still confuse because vitamin c is easily to be oxidated. So if it is oxidated, the effect of this product should be affect. That means it is an useless skincare even it can be used. Am I right??
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:04 am      Reply with quote
Garden of Wisdom has Vit C & Ferulic serum thats very reasonably priced. I think its around $30 for 1oz bottle. I have not tried it but plan to order it when I run out of SkinCeuticals C serum. I always store SC's in the fridge and it remains clear to use the entire bottle.
TTD
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the information, all.

tckmtracy: Doesn't sound like there will be any benefit from continuing using that. As I understand it oxidised Vitamin C will actually cause damage.

GirlieGirl: Let me know how the GoW Vit C turns out
ocmommy

Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
I know this is an old post, but since it still shows up in searches I wanted to add a comment.

The thing about these vit C serums is that you also have to consider what other ingredients are in them, and the natural color of these ingredients. Especially now that companies are using more naturally derived botanicals - which vary per harvested batch.

As for the yellow color in OP's SkinSceuticals serum, it probably came from the Ferulic acid. Ferulic acid is naturally a strongly pigmented yellow color. Any vit C product that claims to contain Ferulic acid will have to be at the very least a light yellow color - depending on the Ferulic concentration of course. No way around it. You can't "bleach" that color out. This is why, when the brands insist that the products are safe to use, it's because they are. Yellow coloring does not always mean something is oxidized. You need to look into the ingredient list, and know your ingredients and what they look like on their own. Not to say you don't need to keep an eye on the products as you use them. All vit C's, not matter how stable, will eventually turn and darken from it's original state. When the color changes and gets considerably darker, then oxidation is setting in and then should be discarded.

Hope this addition helps. I just hate to see people throw away perfectly good products! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |