Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Cerave contains way too much glycerin????
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
stillerfan21
5% products discount

Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:40 pm      Reply with quote
So I've been using cerave lotion and Cerave pm and cerave cleanser. I just looked at the ingredients and glycerin was at the number 2 position behind water.

According to many different websites/studies, glycerin at high concentrations is actually bad for your skin because it pulls water out of it.

That's too bad. All the other ingredients look great and it is a good price. Does anyone know of a moisturizer with niacinamide and ceramides at a cerave price?
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Cerave PM has a strong following. I've used it myself many times. I see no reason to be concerned.
stillerfan21
5% products discount

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
The following quotes from a respected cosmetic chemist here led me to believe that too much glycerin in a formulation will have adverse effects on moisturizing the skin.

Quote:
It is a common mistake that many cosmetic formulators fall victim to when creating "moisturizing" products.

Glycerin is a humectant, and a very good one at that. It draws moisture to itself. When used in very small amounts in a formula, and when teamed with other moisturizers liked hydrolyzed jojoba esters, it can help create a 24 hour moisturizing product.

BUT...when added in an excessive amount to a formula with the mistaken idea that it will be a "better moisturizer", it can actually dry your skin out even further. It will draw moisture right out of your skin.

Be wary of "Moisturizing" products that use too much glycerin. They can, and will, dry your skin out further.

Quote:
An optimum loading for glycerin in a formula is usually 1% to 3%. This is best for drawing moisture from the atmosphere, to the skin rather than from the skin, to the atmosphere.

Remember, glycerin is a dirt cheap commodity product. It is just pennies per kilogram, so its easy to "overload" in a formula just to save cost. But overloading can draw moisture away from your skin in this case.

If it is in the ingredients list in second, third, or even fourth position, there is a chance it is overloaded in a formula.

And this thorough post referencing many studies proving glycerin draws water away from the skin at high concentrations, and especially in low humid climates...

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2012/02/question-does-glycerin-draw-water-from.html?m=1
stillerfan21
5% products discount

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Husid
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:42 pm      Reply with quote
Your overthinking it concerning glycerin. I saw your same post over at skincaretalk.com I agree with the advice you were given there.
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:16 am      Reply with quote
I used cerave cleanser for about 3 months and I had to stop because even though I liked it and it was not breaking me out, I believe some ingredient (I think the hyaluronic acid) was doing some damage to my skin and wrinkles and fine lines were forming and existing ones were getting deeper. I think the hyaluronic acid is the culprit because i had experience with another hyaluronic acid product doing this and then I read online that products with this ingredient should be used only if you live in a humid environment or use a humidifier nightly then it should be fine but in dry climate it worsens the skin I think. I'm not the only one to have noticed wrinkles getting worse from
The use of their cleansers, someone else I've spoken to on this board who used the cleanser for 2-3 years in a country of dry climate has had the same effects as well, but more extensively given the duration of time.
stillerfan21
5% products discount

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
I used cerave cleanser for about 3 months and I had to stop because even though I liked it and it was not breaking me out, I believe some ingredient (I think the hyaluronic acid) was doing some damage to my skin and wrinkles and fine lines were forming and existing ones were getting deeper. I think the hyaluronic acid is the culprit because i had experience with another hyaluronic acid product doing this and then I read online that products with this ingredient should be used only if you live in a humid environment or use a humidifier nightly then it should be fine but in dry climate it worsens the skin I think. I'm not the only one to have noticed wrinkles getting worse from
The use of their cleansers, someone else I've spoken to on this board who used the cleanser for 2-3 years in a country of dry climate has had the same effects as well, but more extensively given the duration of time.

Glycerin and Hyaluronic Acid are both humectants and do the same thing. Hyaluronic Acis is way down on the ingredients list for their cleansers and moisturizers. It is the Glycerin that is causing what you describe, if it is the cause at all. Because Glycerin is very high on the ingredients list on all of their products.
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
stillerfan21 wrote:
Quote:

Glycerin and Hyaluronic Acid are both humectants and do the same thing. Hyaluronic Acis is way down on the ingredients list for their cleansers and moisturizers. It is the Glycerin that is causing what you describe, if it is the cause at all. Because Glycerin is very high on the ingredients list on all of their products.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate what you wrote. For me, I really do believe the hyaluronic acid is causing the wrinkles, it makes sense too based off what I read. I've used another product that had hyaluronic acid and had the exact same results. I also used a makeup powder which contained it and had the same results. For me, it doesn't matter where on the ingredient list it is, I don't pay attention to what order on the list because I have found through buying and using a lot of skin products that even what seems like the smallest ingredient, can really be an important factor in what's helping or hurting my skin....but I also have sensitive skin. I absolutely don't believe the glycerin is the problem, on the contrary, I truly believe the glycerin is the part that my skin loves about the cleanser. Unfortunately, this cleanser sucks for me overall because it has benefits where my skin looks amazing texture-wise and it looks healthier but then there is slight wrinkling also which is clearly happening from an ingredient that is doing damage. When I use a humidifier and the Cerave cleanser, the issues are eliminated after a week of using a humidifier and slight wrinkling starts to disappear and everything looks plumper. But I can't use a humidifer every night, I hate it and it's not so healthy to be doing all the time and it makes my sinus issues worse. I don't know too much though and this is just my experience so I'm open to hearing more about why you think the glycerin is the problem. May I ask, doesn't micellar water have a lot of glycerin?
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:21 pm      Reply with quote
Found this info, similar to what I had read a few times in the past on HA:

Dr. Leslie Baumann (noted dermatologist and author of "The Skin Type Solution") claims that hyaluronic acid, when applied topically, actually can dry out the skin. Increasing hyaluronic acid IN the skin will increase moisture in the skin, but applied topically it just sits on the surface of the skin(since the molecule is too large to penetrate the skin) and draws water out of the skin, since the molecule does attract water to it so effectively. If this occurs, it may tend to dry the skin as Dr. Baumann states. Dr. Howard Murad has taken a different approach: increase the body's natural production of hyaluronic acid by taking the right supplements. One of those supplements is glucosamine sulfate, which is a precursor to hyaluronic acid. He claims that glucosamine can increase HA production...

http://www.smartskincare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2236&view=next

I got this from that thread link and the person on this thread said they ended up using glycerin instead of the HA they had been using and the skin dryness issues went away.

I'm convinced it's the same for me...if that pesky HA was taken out of the ingredients it would be a perfect gentle cleanser!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:43 am      Reply with quote
When I use just pure HA for treatments I do find it dries my skin out, no moisture effect at all. It is only when there are other ingredients with it does my skin have any chance of being moisturized.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:10 pm      Reply with quote
pokerlady888 wrote:

i am really glad this thread came up! since washing my face with it i swear ive been getting more fine lines. could you recommend anything for dry extremely sensitive skin that might work similar but without glycerin and hyaluronic acid?
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:55 am      Reply with quote
khaleesi wrote:
pokerlady888 wrote:

i am really glad this thread came up! since washing my face with it i swear ive been getting more fine lines. could you recommend anything for dry extremely sensitive skin that might work similar but without glycerin and hyaluronic acid?

Hey khaleesi, there are plenty of products that don't contain either, try to do some research by either typing in google or picking out brands and checking their product list and ingredients for each product. You could look into Clinique Take the Day Off Balm followed by Avene Extremely Gentle Cleanser.
pokerlady888
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:58 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
When I use just pure HA for treatments I do find it dries my skin out, no moisture effect at all. It is only when there are other ingredients with it does my skin have any chance of being moisturized.

Thanks for telling us your experience. Had you ever tried the Cerave Moisturizing cleanser? I would love to know what products you currently use with hyaluronic acid that have not given you the drying effect, if you could post!
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:30 am      Reply with quote
I love the Hydra Cool Serum from IS Clinical (and the Phyto C equivalent) and Baby Face has a good HA serum that isn't pricey.
I have never used the Cerave cleanser, just have a big tub of the cream that I use in a pinch. It isn't my go to as far as first choice but just on occasion.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |