Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Layering AHA, Retin A, Vit C serum, Moisturizer & Sunscr
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
feefee
5% products discount

Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
So im getting old and things that i never thought of before are taking up a nice chunk of space in my head.

Ive been reading up how to take care of your skin and prevent or prolong the appearance of wrinkles and age related skin conditions. Basically want to know the best lotions/creams/serums/masks etc. for the job.

Ive narrowed it down to the 5 products in the title. Now the problem is...i cant find any info on which to apply when.

Ive found a lot of info on when to apply 2 of the above products, such as Retin A and moisturizer and that Retin A should be applied before bed and a night moisturizer on top of it. And AHA in the morning. But what about Vit C...how often? Throughout the day? One time? When? After the Retin A? After the AHA...or before it? And for AHA...how many times a day? How much?

So basically i am confused on the application sequence and frequency of all the 5 products above.

Greatly appreciate your advice on this!

Cheers!
feefee
5% products discount

Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:28 pm      Reply with quote
Forgot to add Vitamin E to the list
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
I would first say that you should not incorporate everything all at once. Last thing you want is your skin reacting badly. Maybe start with the C serum before moving on to the Retin-A. http://www.skinacea.com/retinoids/use-retinoids-right-part-one.html#.VTHrffCJgdV
Once your up and running there are several ways to approach it. There is no best way, just ones that have proven effective over the years by many people.

Yes Retin-A at night. A moisturizer after is fine. Some people skip the moisturizer as they feel it may hinder the actions of Retin-A but I've seen no evidence of this. I would wait about 1 hour after applying Retin-A although some only wait 30 minutes. Some buffer it with a moisturizer at first if it is too strong for them.
Vitamin C serum only needs to be used once a day. Can be used morning or nite as it can't be washed off and stays in the skin for around 72 hours. Don't use Retin-A and C serum at the same time. What I do is use Retin-A one night and C serum the next. Or you could use C serum in the morning and Retin-A at night.
I use vitamin E that is in my CE Ferulic C serum.

Here's an oldie but goodie: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=18360
feefee
5% products discount

Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Pandax12 wrote:
I would first say that you should not incorporate everything all at once. Last thing you want is your skin reacting badly. Maybe start with the C serum before moving on to the Retin-A. ?...
Once your up and running there are several ways to approach it. There is no best way, just ones that have proven effective over the years by many people.

Yes Retin-A at night. A moisturizer after is fine. Some people skip the moisturizer as they feel it may hinder the actions of Retin-A but I've seen no evidence of this. I would wait about 1 hour after applying Retin-A although some only wait 30 minutes. Some buffer it with a moisturizer at first if it is too strong for them.
Vitamin C serum only needs to be used once a day. Can be used morning or nite as it can't be washed off and stays in the skin for around 72 hours. Don't use Retin-A and C serum at the same time. What I do is use Retin-A one night and C serum the next. Or you could use C serum in the morning and Retin-A at night.
I use vitamin E that is in my CE Ferulic .....

Thanks for your input!

What about AHA? When do i apply that?
lookwithin
5% products discount

Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
For my regimen, I use Retin-A every other night, on the other nights I rotate between AHA or BHA. In the morning, I apply Vit C serum.

I know some people who can use Retin-A and AHA/BHA or Vit C at the same time at night, but my skin can't tolerate that combination. I need to limit myself to one exfoliating chemical. Everyone is different so you'll need to see what works for you and what gives you good results.

You'll want to start Retin-A slowly as when you initially start using that product, you will see some irritation. I recommend looking at hotandflashy's videos, she has some good tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMtn1x1tz08

Also checkout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHd5XseZr4Y
feefee
5% products discount

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
What if my skin can take it and and i can use Retin A and AHA everday...then when can i apply Vit C?
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:22 pm      Reply with quote
I would use the vitamin C in the morning under your sunscreen.

Please go slow. Retin A and AHA are exfoliates. Most people start off with just Retin A and work up to every evening. Some people alternative the AHA with Retin A in the evenings.

Link to Dr. Bailey's blog on using Retin A

http://www.drbaileyskincare.com/blog/use-retin-a-tretinoin-for-acne-anti-aging-skin-care/

5% products discount

Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your reply Autumn!

Again guys, i want to use...

1. Retin A
2. AHA
3. Vit C
4. Vit E
5. Moisturizer
6. Sunscreen

...EVERYDAY.

Any suggestions as to what to apply when?
ngeisler
5% products discount

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:40 pm      Reply with quote
Using both Retin-A and AHA is redundant. I guarantee you'll annoy the heck out of your skin if you use both. Retin-A at night (maybe start every second night) and Vitamin C serum in the morning (and it doesn't have to be 20%) and the moisturizer and sunscreen should get you your best results.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:47 pm      Reply with quote
ngeisler wrote:
Using both Retin-A and AHA is redundant. I guarantee you'll annoy the heck out of your skin if you use both. Retin-A at night (maybe start every second night) and Vitamin C serum in the morning (and it doesn't have to be 20%) and the moisturizer and sunscreen should get you your best results.

Dr. Bailey (blog link) suggests NOT using AHA (glyolic acid) and Retin A at the same time. Some people cannot use Retin A every night so they alternative with something else (AHA or another type of exfoliate).

I know you are anxious for results but Retin A and or AHA can be irritating. I would start slow and work up.

What sunscreen are you using?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:53 pm      Reply with quote
Use all of it EVERYDAY in the beginning and I can pretty much guarantee you will be sorry. You are likely not the exception.
feefee
5% products discount

Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:23 am      Reply with quote
As a new member, unfortunately i cannot post links but if you google "using aha and retin a same day" you will find numerous results showing that is is possible...even recommended.

The result i was going to post here is the 2nd link that shows up when you search the above phrase in google. Its from realself, answers are from doctors specializing in skin care (dermatologists) and plastic surgeons. I am sure you guys know that site.

Anyway, for the sake of argument...lets say "hypothetically" that Retin A and AHA is possible same day. Keyword here; hypothetically.
So lets assume that my particular skin (whether now in the beginning or later) can indeed handle/tolerate the two without any difficulty. In this case...how do you suggest i apply Retin A and AHA and Vit C in my daily routine?

Appreciate your patience and help!
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:03 am      Reply with quote
If your skin can tolerate AHA and Retin A, then you can either apply your AHA product BEFORE Retin A or mixed with Retin A. That's how Dr. Obagi recommended to use his Exfoderm product.

In AM, you should also use your AHA product first, then Vit C.

Use those combinations with caution as it can be very irritating. So first try using them only 2 times a week and then move up if your skin can handle it.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:02 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
If your skin can tolerate AHA and Retin A, then you can either apply your AHA product BEFORE Retin A or mixed with Retin A. That's how Dr. Obagi recommended to use his Exfoderm product.

In AM, you should also use your AHA product first, then Vit C.

Use those combinations with caution as it can be very irritating. So first try using them only 2 times a week and then move up if your skin can handle it.

I agree with the starting with caution. Some people (myself) cannot tolerate prescription strength retinoids. I started with a lower strength once a week.

Sunscreen is a must.

RS has a good blog and detailed sunscreen reviews. Link is in her signature line on EDS.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
feefee wrote:

1. Retin A
2. AHA
3. Vit C
4. Vit E
5. Moisturizer
6. Sunscreen

...EVERYDAY.

I do not currently use C serum but my routine includes all the other products you mention.

Here is what I do:

AM
Moisturizer/AHA/Vitamin E (my moisturizer contains AHA and vitamin E)
Sunscreen

PM
RetinA
Moisturizer if needed

I use the Refissa form of tretinoin which is much more emollient than the cream version of RetinA so I do not always need an additional moisturize. If I do apply moisturizer in the evening I always wait an hour of so between applying Refissa and moisturizer.

When I did use C serum I applied it in the AM before my moisturizer.

Here is what I would recommend:

AM
C&E serum
AHA
Moisturizer
Sunscreen

If you chose a moisturizing enough formula for you AHA you can skip the extra moisturizer in the AM.

PM
AHA (if you want to use twice a day add it to your evening routine at this point and make sure the formula will not interfere with the absorption of your RetinA.)
RetinA or Refissa
Moisturizer (only if needed)
eSquire415
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Is it really OK to combine the use of AHA/BHA with Vitamin C & E? I would think it would weaken the antioxidant effect of the C and E. Recently I have stopped using Vitamin A .1% every night. I have been alternating between it and the AHA/BHA solution. In the AM I use C+E Ferulic.

I don't use a sunscreen as my office at work is in the basement (no windows no sun) and I hardly come out of my office and when I leave the office its usually after 6pm. Probably need some during weekends.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
h.kitty wrote:
feefee wrote:

1. Retin A
2. AHA
3. Vit C
4. Vit E
5. Moisturizer
6. Sunscreen

...EVERYDAY.

I do not currently use C serum but my routine includes all the other products you mention.

Here is what I do:

AM
Moisturizer/AHA/Vitamin E (my moisturizer contains AHA and vitamin E)

Sunscreen

PM
RetinA
Moisturizer if needed

I use the Refissa form of tretinoin which is much more emollient than the cream version of RetinA so I do not always need an additional moisturize. If I do apply moisturizer in the evening I always wait an hour of so between applying Refissa and moisturizer.

When I did use C serum I applied it in the AM before my moisturizer.

Here is what I would recommend:

AM
C&E serum
AHA
Moisturizer
Sunscreen

If you chose a moisturizing enough formula for you AHA you can skip the extra moisturizer in the AM.

PM
AHA (if you want to use twice a day add it to your evening routine at this point and make sure the formula will not interfere with the absorption of your RetinA.)
RetinA or Refissa
Moisturizer (only if needed)

I am curious about your AHA moisturizer. What brand is this?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
eSquire415 wrote:
Is it really OK to combine the use of AHA/BHA with Vitamin C & E? I would think it would weaken the antioxidant effect of the C and E.

I am no expert but I personally have not seen evidence that AHA or BHA weakens the antioxidant effect of vitamin C or E. Have you seen a study or a convincing argument somewhere which would show that AHA or BHA might weaken the antioxidant effects of these vitamins? If so, please link to it since I would love to see it!

However, I don't know if I would mix AHA or BHA into a C serum and then apply the mixture. Also, when I used C serum I applied the C serum and then waited 10 minutes or so for it to absorb before I applied my moisturizer with AHA. I don't have any specific evidence to indicate that applying them right after each other would negate the antioxidant effects but it seems to make sense so I say why take a chance.
h.kitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Autumn1995 wrote:

It is Lactic Power 10 from Skin Biology.

http://store.reverseskinaging.com/Lactic_Power_10_p/29l.htm
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
h.kitty wrote:
Autumn1995 wrote:

This looks really good! For me, lactic acid is more gentle than glycolic acid. I can add this to my next EDS order.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/skin-biology-lactic-power-p_13176.htm

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:45 pm      Reply with quote
I use Vitamin C at night when I forget it in the morning. I apply it at least 30 minutes before I use Retin-A.

As far as AHA, I would use the vitamin C first, let it stay for at least 30 minutes, then apply the AHA. I have stopped using them, though, since I started using a sonic brush, and occasionally use a dermabrasion cloth. This seems to keep my skin fresh.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:00 am      Reply with quote
If I was you I would take some before and after pictures to keep track of your progress and to really evaluate how your skin is reacting.

I say this because I started back on a regime after several years hiatus.
You're right that the first things that come up in a search would be retin-A (or retinal) and Vitamin C and AHA. I was trying to figure out how to incorporate them all together.
After several months of Retin-A at night and Vitamin C serum days (along with some ha and peptide serums)I decided to do a strong TCA peel and starting priming myself with the addition of once a week peels (lactic and Glycolic acid). Like you say; my skin is not sensitive, it's pretty thick and tough and I felt no irritation. But what I couldn't see and what I couldn't feel showed up in the pictures I was taking. I was really looking pretty waxy...pasty. It was obvious that I was over exfoliating my skin. More is not always better.
I backed off on the once a week peels and decided it was getting too late in the year for TCA anyway (postponed until the Fall). I started immediately looking so much better though. Amazingly better.

I have since added Led light therapy, micro-needling and face exercises and am having great results.For now though..no AHA in my routine because I don't need it right now and I try to be mindful of overdoing anything that I'm doing.
But I keep track of myself and try to space things appropriately ( I use the dermaroller 1.5mm every 6 weeks, for instance).

Just saying..keep track of what you're doing and realize that you may look in the mirror and not see what's happening. Keep a record.
eSquire415
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
h.kitty wrote:
Autumn1995 wrote:

Here's what I found. It says that you shouldn't layer AHA with Vitamin C because it can cause irritations but it didn't say it will weaken the vitamin C. Interestingly I use a Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner, Alpha and Beta Hydroxy Formula but the article says not to combine it.

http://www.effortlessskin.com/blog/2013/11/mix-match-skin-care-ingredient-combinations-avoid/

This other info says it will depend on the PH of the AHA or BHA product you are using. You can layer them but there is a wait time of at least 15 minutes with vit C applied first for it to be absorbed by the skin.

http://www.reddit.com/r/SkincareAddiction/comments/20fbvi/informative_link_on_vitamin_c_layering_with_bhas/
audrey432002

Wed May 06, 2015 10:16 am      Reply with quote
Hi...I hope someone can help me. I am in the uk and am unable to buy Retin-A anywhere and am a little scared to buy off line after reading reviews about Pharmacy Geoff-uk which is in Hong Kong. Quite a few people have complained that they have been victims of credit card fraud shortly after purchases from the above company. One lady who purchased Tretinoin Cream from them doubted very much if it was genuine. Can anyone give me details of a genuine on line company where I can purchase genuine Tretinoin 0.05 cream or similar.

Many Thanks
eSquire415
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 08, 2015 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
I used to sell my Tretinoin Cream on Craigslist and on eBay. I had so many, some of them were .25% and a few were .05% My doctor gave it as a prescription for acne. They were 45G so it lasts a while and that's why I ended up with so many (quarterly automatic shipment) amd my doctor gave me several refills. When I switched from .025% to .05% I've forgotten about the .025% tubes in my cabinet that they have gone past their expiration. A pharmacist told me that they are still good unopened for 2 years after expiration but it will gradually lose its potency after that so I sold them for cheap. The expired ones (excluding shipping) I sold for $30 while the non-expired ones costs $45. Then I switched to the .1% and also sold my unexpired .05% tubes for $60. Too bad I don't have any left anymore. I actually posted an ad here at that time but only got a couple of flaky responders.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |