Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Is it possible to keep your upper arm skin smooth after...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Seaghdha
5% products discount

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
a significant weight loss...like a 40-50 lb loss?

I have a plethora of skin care products and tools in my arsenal...everything from Sirius red light therapy, retin-A, C, dermarolling, etc.

What should be my game plan? I am a 41 yo woman who has recently gone back to school. The stress of nursing school led me to gain 25-30lbs in the year and a half! I was already a little chub to start with!

My finals are within the next couple of weeks and then I have the summer off. I want to drop at least 20 lbs during this time and then the rest as I start back.

Tips for keeping good upper arm skin? My arms are pretty fat looking right now and I'm scared what they may look like as I slim down.

tia!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
It may not be as tight as you want, but that area can look decent. Start with a healthy eating program and watch your portions. You need to start weight training. You can join a gym or get some workout dvds for home use. Some good ones are Cathe Friederich and Jari Love. Start with low weights and work your way up. You need some cardio too. Then you also should skin brush. There are many threads about this. I am in my fifties and do all of this. I have lost sixty lbs. in the past. Lately I am trying to lose my neverending last ten lbs. Rolling Eyes But my arms look decent. I also wear 3/4 sleeves. I don't have to, but I like the look and it covers the arms without it looking obvious.

At your age, you can still get your figure back and look really good! But you have to remember that it gets harder the older you get. So think of this as the last time you lose a lot of weight and then when you do, you must be very diligent about keeping it off. That's where I am now, so this is the voice of experience speaking, LOL! Good luck with everything. Especially nursing school. That is quite an accomplishment to go back to school!
Seaghdha
5% products discount

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Wow, swissmom, ty! Such wonderful advice! I know I can't play around with this any longer...I have to lose this weight, get healthy, and STAY healthy!

5% products discount

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Oh and I meant to ask you about skin brushing...

Does it **really** work? How is it different than say, manual exfoliation in the shower? I often see dry brushing recommended for cellulite (which I HAVE!), but I've never really seen any good before and after pictures on the internet. I'm definitely open to it, I just don't want to waste my time.

So, I guess what I'm asking is did it make a big difference for you or a nominal one? Even if it makes a small difference I guess I'd be open to it. I've got to get my "hot" back, lol! I'm 41, feel 27, but have let my body go to the point it looks older than my age! Sad

tia!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Swissmom had excellent advice for you. In regards to exfoliating some suggestions:

AHA lotion. One low cost option is from the (Cdn) drugstore is Lac-Hydan with 12% AHA. Also if you have facial product exfoliating products that do not work for your face; maybe use on arms?

Salux cloths are cheap and reusable. These are only a few dollars and can be used with any body wash. Best place to buy would be from an Asian grocery store.

I like to check out fitness books from the library. Lots of choices and good ideas. If I really want the book, I can buy it.

I think it is fantastic that you are going back to school!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:12 am      Reply with quote
Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday! Autumn has some great suggestions!

I skin brush six days a week right before I work out. It's one of those things like exercise and skincare. You don't know if it works until you stop doing it. Laughing I do think my skin is a bit tighter than if I didn't do it. I use a natural shoe polishing brush for my legs and booty. It's similar to what Tonya Zavasta uses except it's pretty stiff. I got it on ebay. But you must work up to that one. I started skin brushing on and off when I was about your age. But the last couple of years I have been very consistant.

I also have a salux cloth that I use in the shower. Love it! For me the skinbrushing helps with circulation and cellulite.

Regarding arm exercises. If you really want a good hurting Laughing go on youtube and look up Tracy Anderson arm exercises. Ten minutes of that and you're done. Lol! Don't use weights or your arms will fall off. There are tons of free arm exercises on youtube so you can get started right away.

I love the fact that you said you feel 27. That is SO important when it comes to anti-aging. I think that is the most important thing. Having a youthful mindset and attitude goes a long way.

I love to weight train and do other exercises. I also like looking good. But there are so many women in my age group that have given up and think they are old. I always get comments on how good I look and how I look youthful. I think it's because people have a preconceived notion on how a woman over 50 should look like. But really, I think I look my age. I just try to look and feel the best I can at whatever age I'm at.

But most people think that women over age 40 should look frumpy and dumpy. So that's why people get surprised when someone over 40 looks good.

I've said this on another thread, but I believe this with all my heart. When you are over 40, it is an even playing field. If you were not the beauty queen or the one who got all the attention, you can become that if you take good care of yourself. You will look and feel so good and you will radiate confidence.

But you must get started today if you haven't already.

Oh and here is a picture of a fabulous woman of a certain age to inspire you:

http://www.simpleelean.co.nz/50yr-old-lifting-weights-and-spirits-interview-with-tammy-white/
Seaghdha
5% products discount

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:50 am      Reply with quote
Wow, such good points you two! Autumn, I have lots of ahas, so I will be sure to incorporate them into my body (and especially arm) antiaging! Also, I need to buy a salux. I used to have one a few years ago, but got lazy and stopped using it.

Swissmom, one again awesome advice! I'm noticed the same thing...SO MANY WOMEN let themselves get so frumpy dump after 40! I have to include myself into this category, but hopefully it was just an anomaly, a blink of an eye. I plan on losing the weight and recapturing my inner spirit!

Also, you're so right about the "even playing field!" When I was in my teens and twenties, I suffered with acne and was poor, so I didn't always have access to the best skin treatments. I wasn't the beauty queen by ANY means. Same thing with clothing/hair. Now I'm older and have loads more money (sounds obnoxious but I grateful to God for everything!), so the main issue is losing the weight and getting the body to match the rest of me. I can afford fine clothes, haircare, skincare, but if my body makes me look older I'm not going to be okay with it.

When I get my body back, I'll be sure to post before and after pics. Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:03 am      Reply with quote
Here is a link to an article by a Canadian blogger on dry brushing. This is not my blog.

http://beautyeditor.ca/2015/03/10/how-to-dry-brush-your-body

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I lost 40 pounds on a low carb diet about 12 years ago. I did have a bit of loose skin but it is now fine. I use the derma-roller on my upper arms. There is a huge thread on this in the DIY section.
I think that it works on any saggy skin. I also use it on my neck under my chin because I am near 60 and worry about a saggy neck.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |