Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

new here! concerned about groove in forehead
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
neensie

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
hey there. i've just activated my account here and have been lurking for a while. recently over the past several months i have been more attuned to taking care of my skin. i am 24 and have started since the beginning of this year so it's not too bad a time to start. however, it isn't looking that particularly great.

a concern i have is a muscle on my forehead that is more raised on the right side and cinches like i am frowning or squinting. in more flattering lights it looks normal, or at worst like i am a little bit concerned. in unflattering lights i look like i have a heavy frowning ridge and that i am frowning on one side of my face.

this has been going on for a while and it started this year when i became concerned with faint lines on my face. the more i squinted and moved my face about, the more prominent these muscles became. facial exercises didn't help - in fact they just helped the muscles look even more furrowed! i suspect that one eyebrow has just became higher than the other due to ageing, but i would like my eyebrow groove to look a lot less prominent.

what would you veterans suggest for a newbie? i am not looking into injections of any sort, as i don't have the money and am not interested. but what tools/creams work best for grooves or indentations caused by muscles? i hear safetox works
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:00 am      Reply with quote
Yes, perish the thought of getting fillers at your age. You should be nourishing, strengthening and protecting your skin at this point. Not hammering it into submission with the big guns.
Absolutely everyone has this issue, some as early as their teens. And you're right. It's just a muscle that needs to be retrained to keep one from absentmindedly scowling. Expression lines come from habit and scowling is a good one to lose..

Here's a thread on Safetox http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=29913&highlight=safetox

and you can do a search for any other info on tackling the problem.
Some people do alright with Frownies...a lot cheaper to try.
sar9876
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
retin a might 'plump' your dermis a bit so that the appearance diminishes.
maggie_p
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:36 am      Reply with quote
You can also try to massage that area to make it relaxed, these muscles often become permanently contracted due to squinting on the sun or when looking at computer. Also, it is worth checking your eyesight, problems in that area can lead to squinting.

I like this massage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoi385-5qq0, I can really feel muscles relaxing after that.
neensie

Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:08 am      Reply with quote
tigerlily009, thanks for the advice. I'm too skint to afford Safetox at the moment but if I can save up for it, it may be worth the investment. And yeah, you're right - it's too early to invest in many major procedures so soon!

sar9876, I will look into Retin-A. I hear that it is good for acne and I have been cursed with it since adolescence, so it might be a case of killing two birds with one stone. I currently am using the Body Shop's Vitamin C moisturiser with SPF 30 at the moment and have a very basic skincare approach but not much of a routine, haha.

maggie_p, I'm looking into massage right now! I was trying it for a while but felt defeated because things weren't changing immediately - obviously that is the wrong approach to be seeing it from though. I don't know if I can reverse it, considering that it has taken been about five - six months for this cinched muscle to develop. The tension started around February and the muscle has looked different over time. But I would be happy to diminish it and reduce its appearance effectively.
Judy Chen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
I am not a professional, but at young age, I believe such muscle issue can be corrected significantly by massaging and trying to reduce facial expressions as much as possible.
SeanySeanUK
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:03 pm      Reply with quote
Okay a few things to share. Now you mention since the start of the year and thats a great place to start. Firstly with anything its always good to examine possible causes. You indicate that this is a muscle on the right side, and so I'm wondering whether this is a muscle thats been used a lot for making expressions unconsciously. So this particular muscle has been if you like overworked.

Now you say facial exercises didn't help - well can i ask you to elaborate. Which ones did you do, how many reps and what count? You see its not that it didn't work just didn't produce the finished result you are going after and that may be for a variety of reasons. For example if you did an exercise just for the corrugators, thats not going to help the appearance of your forehead or brows especially. You need to do a full program to achieve a balanced look.

Now you are looking into massage - fantastic. Don't discard massage simply because it hasn't produced the end results it is going to be a gradual process. Yes you can create changes for sure. You say its been "about five - six months for this cinched muscle to develop" well it may be actually that this is the time its shown to show up. It may have developed over a great deal of time but just hasn't been as visible previously or you haven't been aware of it too.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
If you have acne I would try retin A.

A tip: for me, wearing retin a all night tips the ratio of inflammation vs effectiveness too far towards inflammation. Seems like the dermis gets inflamed.

When I apply it with short contact therapy, anywhere from 2 -30 minutes depending on how it goes, I get stellar results.

It's almost as good as leaving on, but very little inflammation. If you think about it that's how peels work so maybe that's why it works so well.

And I put on a mild lotion after I wash it off. Good luck!
neensie

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:03 am      Reply with quote
Hey,

I don't know if I want to continue facial exercises to be honest. I'm keeping it off the charts for now as it just seems to irritate my muscles more. Massage is also becoming weird because in theory it should help but it's just causing me sinus pressure and it isn't very comfortable once you finish. I don't know what it is, I feel like my eyebrow muscles are just too tense but if I leave them alone they look the same but they aren't irritating me. When I keep touching them through FE and massage it just aggravates them and I don't think that really helps.

Basically, I was pick and mixing exercises but they were chosen for selected areas. Really I just want my skin to plump up and look fresh rather than work on a regime. I don't really want to look at another facial exercise program, just diminish the appearance of the weird muscle and the indentation it's left.

I will look into Retin-A, it's a shame I'm from the UK but hopefully it may work! I would need to find a good website that sells it. Apparently it can be really irritating to the skin but the results are worthwhile.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |