Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

A Few Questions re: Vit C, retinols, brands, etc.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
AndieGirl

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:42 am      Reply with quote
Hi! Very Happy I'm new here, this is my first post. Name's Andie. I've been lurking and reading for awhile now, and I've been immersed in this whole world of looking younger and trying to look my best for several months now.

Nutshell background: I'm 34. I've had three children in not quite four years....the oldest is now 5 and my youngest is almost 2. During this time, I gained some unwanted weight, stopped wearing contacts and makeup, let my teeth get a little messed up, stopped taking care of my skin and generally went around looking like a slob. (<--- my words). I see myself in the mirror and this is not who I feel that I am. I want my own self back again. I want to take some time and feel attractive and pretty and more like myself again. If that makes any sense.

So anyhow, fast forward back to today. I'm on a weight loss plan, trying to fix my teeth best I can and most of all I'm trying to get my skin back into shape and decelerate any aging that's gone on from all the years I said "meh" to sunblock and mousturizer. Right now my skin type is very fair and dry, but prone to breakouts (pimples) and even more prone to rashes. So, I guess you might say....sensitive combination, with emphasis on the dryness part of combination?

Anyhow, I've tried a few retinal (sp?) and Vit C serums and I just wanted to run my routine by you guys and see if you have any ideas or comments suggestions or recommendations or whatever.

1.) I don't wear make-up at the moment and I clean my face with soap and water (usually Tom's of Maine olive oil soap), Lush's Angels on Bare Skin, Shiseido's White Lucent foam or First Aid Beauty's cleanser. I'm clearly not a monogamist with my cleansers. Laughing Every now and then I'll use a Biore or Neutrogena salacylic acid cleanser if I'm getting a lot of breakouts.I don't use toner; don't have anything against them but I just don't know enough, and I never have used toner.

2.) Right now I'm having a weird rash on my face, neck and collarbones, so all I'm putting on my face is a little bit of hydrocortisone cream after I shower and some Eucerin (which I just found out has mineral oil it! Yuck!) and Egyptian Magic around my eyes and dry areas.

But NORMALLY....like I said I'm trying to find a routine that works for me, so I have a hodgepodge of different products I use. Most often, in the mornings I'll put a Vit. C or other antioxidant serum on my face in the mornings and follow with some eye cream (skin around my eyes is painfully dry) and some moisturizer with SPF. Right now I've been into Yes to Grapefruit and Yes to Carrots (alternating) moisturizers. I like them because they aren't heavy and the SPF 15 is a physical sunblock zinc oxide, titanium, etc.) My sensitive skin can get burned by chemical sunscreens.

At night I like to wear a retinol serum or mousturizer and then a stronger, more emollient night cream over that.

Here are the products I haven't described above:

1.) mousturizers, mostly for night but sometimes for day either under sunblock or alone when I know I'm gonna be inside all day): Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream; Kiehl's Rose Arctica face cream; Dr. Hauschka Rose Day Cream and Neutrogena's Rapid Wrinkle Repair retinol mousturizer for nights only. For my eyes I put on Neutrogena's hyaluronic acid eye cream underneath my Egyptian Magic or another facial oil.

Sorry about the novel-length post. I promise all my posts won't be like this! For my Vit. C, I use Mad Hippie Vic. C Serum or Kiehl's Vit. C serum (I think it's officially called Powerful line-Reducing Concentrate).

For Christmas,my present is I get to splurge on beauty items, so I'm always looking for recs!

Questions:

1.) So....from what I've written,am I doing ok? I know it's too many products and I should pare down, right? The Dr. H rose day cream in particular, I just love, love, love. That, over my Neutrogena retinol treatment at night, leaves me glowing.

2.) I love the Yes to day moisturizers but I think with my irish skin, SPF 15 just isn't enough. Eucerin used to have a sensitive skin SPF 30 moisturizer that I LOVED, but I can't seen to find it. I bought some Kimberly Sayers years ago and loved it. Still have some left, actually, which brings me to question....

3.) What's the aproximate shelf life of, specifically, Vit. C serums and mineral/physical sunblocks. I want to straight dope, not just the barest CYA recs, you know? I've had this Kimberly Sayers SPF 30 moisturizer for about 3-4 years. Time to toss? Also, the Mad Hippie serum is almost 2 years old. Ok, or too old?

Thanks again for reading this far if you have. I'm a bit of a noob so any advice or commentary is so, so welcome!

Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
No replies....Did I just ride into a new forum on a teal deer? I think I might have. My apologies. Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:23 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure what's in all the products that you use and what, in particular, you're trying to achieve (we all understand the wanting to look better part, of course, but other than that I don't know what your goal is)...but I'll give you a few words of advice on what I know to be true.

Throw out the 2 year old Mad Hippie Vitamin C serum. Any decent Vit C serum has a short shelf life. You can try something like Timeless
http://www.timelessha.com/20-vitamin-c-e-ferulic-acid-serum-1-oz/
keep it in the fridge and throw it out when it turns yellow.

Consider Retin-A. If you're too sensitive get a high level retinol... A retinol product serious enough to actually show the % of retinol in it.
Get serums that have things like peptides and Hyaluronic Acid. Consider things like the dermaroller.
Research ingredients. Learn what different things are suppose to do and what kind of science is behind them.
That way you'll know what to look for to achieve a certain goal and won't get suckered in by just a name brand or advertising...
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:19 pm      Reply with quote
AndieGirl wrote:
1.) So....from what I've written,am I doing ok? I know it's too many products and I should pare down, right? The Dr. H rose day cream in particular, I just love, love, love. That, over my Neutrogena retinol treatment at night, leaves me glowing.

Sounds like you're doing ok. I play around with varying products too. If the rose cream and retinol makes your skin glow, then I'd stick with it.

AndieGirl wrote:
2.) I love the Yes to day moisturizers but I think with my irish skin, SPF 15 just isn't enough. Eucerin used to have a sensitive skin SPF 30 moisturizer that I LOVED, but I can't seen to find it. I bought some Kimberly Sayers years ago and loved it. Still have some left, actually, which brings me to question....

A stronger sunscreen would be best for days when you are outside more than 10-20 minutes. There are some good threads here on sunscreens that you could research. Some of the japanese brands are very popular (I like Biore watery essence). Elta MD and La Roche Posey are good as well.

AndieGirl wrote:
3.) What's the aproximate shelf life of, specifically, Vit. C serums and mineral/physical sunblocks. I want to straight dope, not just the barest CYA recs, you know? I've had this Kimberly Sayers SPF 30 moisturizer for about 3-4 years. Time to toss? Also, the Mad Hippie serum is almost 2 years old. Ok, or too old?

Most vitamin C should be used in 60-90 days (if L-ascorbic acid based). Otherwise it degrades and oxidizes. The Mad Hippie is good, I like it too. It is not L-AA based, but other C derivatives. It'll last longer but two years is too long.

Most sunscreens should be used in 1-2 years, check if there is an expiration.

Moisturizer 3-4 years could be ok. Check for an expiration date or a funky smell. I've used old stuff on my hands or body with no issues.
AndieGirl

Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
Don't have enough posts yet to "thank you" those replies, but THANK YOU! Smile

I tossed out the Mad Hippie and I'm not using the Kimberly Sayers (both are too old) although I can't bring myself to toss it. Maybe I need it as a reminder to not try a bazillion products at once on a rotation that makes them expire before I've used 'em up?!

Lately I've been sticking to the MyChelle vit. C and I love it, still. Dr. H's Rose Day Cream- Love it. And still use it for days and nights. I have some Andalou samples I'm also zooming through.

I have a sample of the Dr. H night serum but I still don't think I understand how or if I should use it if I can't commit to a night routine with absolutely NO other moisturizer.

Lots to research and think on, thank you!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:46 am      Reply with quote
tigerlily009 wrote:

Get serums that have things like peptides and Hyaluronic Acid. Consider things like the dermaroller.
Research ingredients. Learn what different things are suppose to do and what kind of science is behind them.
That way you'll know what to look for to achieve a certain goal and won't get suckered in by just a name brand or advertising...

tigerlily009 is right in everything she has told you and to help you get started I know that my Monsia Skincare has worked very well for me take a look at the ingredients online. The product line has shea butter, jojoba esters and hyaluronic acid but research products and read reviews etc.
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
I'm a bit confused by your comment of "letting your teeth go"??

Do you mean you just do not go to the dentist?
or that you do not brush your teeth often?

Well, I find electric toothbrushes work better for me and clean my teeth better.

I also just finally finished doing Invisalign for my teeth and a lot of dentists will let you make payment plans for dental care.z
So if you do not have extra $$ you can pay off a bit every month.
nick850914
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:49 am      Reply with quote
For VC, I strongly recommend martiderm skin complex
coeywong88

Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:22 pm      Reply with quote
I want to try Surprised
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Invest on good quality skin care products for vitamin C, AHA or BHA and retinol. Start slowly and don't rush it.

I am a firm believer that moisturizers make the skin more lazy and not knowing how to read ingredients, some can clog pores.

Your regular routine should be wash, scrub and oil control.
If you are older, it would be wash, scrub, tone.

The extras would be proven ingredients that work, the vitamin c and retinol.

It is really simple and if there are other issues, go see your doctor.
nick850914
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
I always use vc products in the morning and retinol in the evening
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |