Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Weird side effect from MSM?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:22 am      Reply with quote
First, if you are grossed out by this, I apologize up front...

I recently upped my dose of MSM from 1gram to 4 grams. I've been doing that for about 3-4 weeks now. I've also been taking doxycycline for about 1.5 months, to fight a recent dermatitis problem. The dermatitis is now resolved, so I'm just sticking to the regimen as dr prescribed, and will be done in about 2 weeks. Besides helping with my melasma and general skin health, I thought the MSM might help fight any toxicity from the doxy.

So here's my weird symptom: I was sitting in a meeting last week, when the ball of my thumb started to itch. First of all, I think that's weird in itself. But I did scratch at it, not much, and it turned into a tiny blister, maybe 1/8 inch in diameter. There was this little tiny white thing floating inside. I didn't try to pop it, and it eventually dried up.

Yesterday a little tiny blister appeared on the same hand, back of my pinky. It's smaller than the previous one, so too tiny to see if it has a floater. I absolutely did not scratch at it. It popped by itself, I washed and dried my hands, and it's now almost gone.

Today I felt an itch on the palm of the same hand, resisted the urge to scratch...but I can see a tiny blister starting to form, then went away.

Am I excreting MSM??? Shock I could find only one obscure anecdotal reference to this on the internet. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I know some ladies are taking more than 4g!

I take a bunch of other supps on a regular basis, too...EFA, borage oil, coQ10, and more...the only recent change has been addition of Ester-C and Gingko Biloba.

Thanks for any input on this!

ETA: I take Trimedica Pure MSM powder, Lignusul processed.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:29 am      Reply with quote
I only take 2grams a day. I have never experienced any blister forming Shock I think that would be a rather serious side-effect and I would stop taking it and see doctor.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:30 am      Reply with quote
I've been taking 6 grams a day and haven't experienced anything like that.

Maybe someone else has a lead on that.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:45 am      Reply with quote
makes me wonder if your not starting an allergic reaction? I'd cut it out of your pills, and see if this stops, if it does, I'd switch brands or not re-add it at all.
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:48 am      Reply with quote
Does you doctor know about all the supplements you take? If not, I suggest you tell him. There are all kinds of interactions that can happen.
FYI on possible MSM problems:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/search.php?search_id=627156820&start=100
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Sorry that will only lead you to the thread. Here's the post:

"Also, heres's an artilce re: risks/benefits. Can't speak to the veracity of the source, but food for thought, at least. Presents positive and negative.
I started taking it, too, but am always cautious/concerned about adding a new supplement in large amounts.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Methylsulfonylmethane-(MSM)-andHealth&id=448386
"Methylsulfonylmethane is not yet approved by the Food and Drug Administration; you might, therefore, be taking a risk if you choose to use this supplement. That being said, MSM is believed to work well by enhancing the effectiveness of pain medications allowing, as a result, their dosages to be reduced. MSM is compatible with most pain medications.

MSM is a sulfur based supplement; and sulfur is necessary for producing collagen, the primary component of cartilage, skin, and connective tissues.

You should be aware, before using MSM, whether or not you have an allergy to sulfa based medication and supplements.

How Methylsulfonylmethane Can Improve Health

Methylsulfonylmethane, reported to be effective as a pain reliever, also promotes wellness, and supplies the body with sulfur. It helps to relieve heartburn and acid stomach, allergies, and arthritis, and may prevent breast cancer.

MSM: Things to Watch Out For

MSM, like all medications, produces side effect; and, as with all medications, some of its side effects will go away over time. Other, more serious side effects could eventually be life-threatening. You should know the risks before taking any vitamin, supplement, or prescription medications.

MSM’s basic side effects are headaches and diarrhea; the more serious allergic reactions it can cause include rash, itching, swelling, dizziness, and breathing problems.

A doctor should be consulted immediately if these effects occur or are prolonged.

If you have any sulfa related allergies, are pregnant, or are breast feeding, it’s imperative that you consulting your doctor before using MSM If you are breast feeding, your child can ingest MSM from your breast milk..

Because a negative interaction between medicines can cause very serious problems, ask you doctor if taking Methylsulfonylmethane will interfere with your other medications. Also let the doctor know of any allergies you might have.

Once again, you must be aware that MSM is not approved by the Food and Drug Administration and if you choose to use it, you do so at your own risk.

You should, to prevent a negative inter-reaction, alert your doctor to all medical conditions and allergies you have, and medications you are taking. You should also, in the interests of your own safety, protection, and well-being, consult with your doctor before using this product or making any changes in your medications, diet, or vitamin regimen. The same recommendation holds for Total Balance, discussed on many pages of our website as our supplement of choice, Our How To Maximize Methylsulfonylmethane benefits

Because nutritional supplement production, both in the U.S. and other countries is largely unregulated, both governmental and private studies have shown that consumers of nutritional supplements have only a 1 in 5 chance of purchasing a supplement contain the amount of ingredients stated on the product label, or worse yet, a supplement that is not contaminated with health-impairing toxins.

We therefore advise consumers to buy health supplements from pharmaceutical GMP compliant facilities, which adhere to the world’s most exacting manufacturing standards. Doing as we suggest will ensure you of getting contaminant-free Methylsulfonylmethane, in the full amount for which you have paid."

AND THIS:
http://health.yahoo.com/topic/arthritis/treatment/qanda/mayoclinic/C2BFC2FA-4AF6-426F-AD78C67CF11D02D6

"Last Updated: 06/06/2005
Q:
Are there any negative long-term effects from taking MSM for arthritis pain?
A:
Very few studies have examined long-term effects of the dietary supplement called methylsulfonylmethane (MSM). One study suggested that it's safe to take MSM for up to 30 days. But further research is needed to assess its safety for long-term use.

MSM occurs naturally in some fruits, vegetables and grains. But it's also sold as a dietary supplement. Manufacturers of these supplements have touted MSM as a treatment for a variety of conditions, including chronic pain, arthritis, headaches, asthma, sinusitis, constipation and Alzheimer's disease.

However, only a few clinical trials have looked at the possible effectiveness of MSM in treating these conditions in humans. One small study suggested that MSM may relieve pain due to osteoarthritis. A couple of other studies suggested it may reduce symptoms of hay fever (allergic rhinitis).

Although there is great interest in using MSM to treat a variety of conditions, little evidence supports either its benefits or safety. Potential side effects of taking MSM include stomach upset, diarrhea and headache.

As with most dietary supplements, research trials involving MSM have generally been small in size and of relatively short duration. Keep this in mind as you make decisions regarding the use of dietary supplements.

© 1998-2006 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). All rights reserved. A single copy of these materials may be reprinted for noncommercial personal use only. "Mayo," "Mayo Clinic," "MayoClinic.com," "Mayo Clinic Health Information," "Reliable information for a healthier life" and the triple-shield Mayo logo are trademarks of Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research." "
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Jakee,
Thank you for reposting that info! Everything I've read has referred to stomach upset and headache, but that post actually refers to a rash! MelissaMarie, I think you are right...I am on my way to an allergic reaction.

I will immediately stop all three of the recently added supps...I was hoping it was the gingko biloba, and not the MSM. Confused I also wonder if the vit C is accelerating the reaction.

If stopping supps does not immediately resolve the situation, I will make the appt with my dr ASAP.

You guys are great, thanks for the reality check! Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Is this why I am the blister in my eye? I'm only taking 1,000 milligrams though. Confused
bkkgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
It could also be that you upped your dosage too much from 1 g to 4 g is a huge jump. I read you're supposed to try upping by 500 mg only and wait 2 weeks to check for any reactions before you increase again. Try going back to 1 g and see how you react if you still want to take MSM.
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
skincarefreak wrote:
Is this why I am the blister in my eye? I'm only taking 1,000 milligrams though. Confused

Have you seen a doctor? I would be very careful with anything related to your eyes.
skincarefreak
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
jakee wrote:
skincarefreak wrote:

Have you seen a doctor? I would be very careful with anything related to your eyes.

Have I seen a doctor? yes, one optometrist and 2 opthamologist. I had eye surgery last Monday to have it cut out. Would you believe it is back? Uggghh...
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
jakee wrote:
Potential side effects of taking MSM include stomach upset, diarrhea and headache.

These sound like detox symptoms, the difference being that detox is at least somewhat desireable and should go away in a few days after detox is completed. Side effects go on forever and usually get worse over time.

Detox symptoms can be minimized by not taking too much too fast, drinking lots of water to help flush your system, and stomach upset can be minimized by taking MSM at the very front of a full meal (not just a snack).

MelissaMarie wrote:
makes me wonder if your not starting an allergic reaction

Theoretically, people can't be allergic to pure MSM, but they can be allergic to any additives or cross-contamination from using the same equipment to process MSM as is used for other things. I have seen one person that had a liver problem that could not metabolize pure MSM properly but that is not the same as being allergic to it.
Jackie284
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Nadjazz,

the symptoms you are describing sound exactly like what I got from taking grape seed extract. I really liked what the supplement did for my skin, and then all of a sudden I got these itchy blisters. They went onto my wrists and legs and I would scratch at them during the night. I sort of knew it might be the supplement, but I went the Doctors anyway, to which I was told to stop taking them and see what happens. Ayway, I stopped for a few days, but as I liked the effects, I carried on taking them. The blisters eventually disappeared, but I began to get really dry sore eyes at which point I had to stop. Now, any supplement I take that has anything remotely like the grape seed in it, my eyes just turn red and really burn,

hope that helps
Jackie x
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl: I had no probs whatsoever at 1g, and yes, I did increase my dosage gradually...2g for a whole week, then jumped to 4g.

skincarefreak: OMG, I have had the prob with one single blister in my eyelash line for months now! It comes and goes, does not cause me any probs. I forgot about that. I thought the blister was from cross-contamination, as I just close my eyes and slather CP serum and Exfol serum on them. I'm not saying it's from the products, it's from me touching my eyes.

pcnetwrx: Thanks to all the great info in previous posts from you and tangal, I had minimal probs with stomach upset. No headache issues.

It's good to know this is not "true" allergy symptoms from MSM...who knows, it could be the gingko biloba! I will try to isolate the problem over the next few weeks, and post back with my results.

Thank you, all!

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
you should call you doctor - it may be an allergic reaction to the doxy.
cookie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:49 pm      Reply with quote
I stopped taking MSM about a week ago because I was experiencing high anxiety and just feeling like my blood pressure was high. I wasn't sure what I was taking to cause this but my Mom was allergic to sulfer so I decided to stop.
I feel really good now so I will not be taking it anymore.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl - looking back at my "gradual" increase, I now see the errors of my ways. Confused I obviously went way too fast! I'm such a dork sometimes!

yogi - I promise, I will definitely go see the dr if this gets any worse.

cookie - I read somewhere that MSM increases the level of cortisol in your system. As I recall, cortisol is the stress hormone. Shock

Jackie, I understand! I so wanted this supp to work for me. I'll try dropping back to a maintenance dose before giving up, though.

Hmm, maybe I can use the rest of the bottle to create a topical... Rolling Eyes

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:52 pm      Reply with quote
nadjazz wrote:
bkkgirl: I had no probs whatsoever at 1g, and yes, I did increase my dosage gradually...2g for a whole week, then jumped to 4g.

skincarefreak: OMG, I have had the prob with one single blister in my eyelash line for months now! It comes and goes, does not cause me any probs. I forgot about that. I thought the blister was from cross-contamination, as I just close my eyes and slather CP serum and Exfol serum on them. I'm not saying it's from the products, it's from me touching my eyes.

pcnetwrx: Thanks to all the great info in previous posts from you and tangal, I had minimal probs with stomach upset. No headache issues.

It's good to know this is not "true" allergy symptoms from MSM...who knows, it could be the gingko biloba! I will try to isolate the problem over the next few weeks, and post back with my results.

Thank you, all!

If you increased from 1 g to 2 g and stayed for a week and jumped to 4 g, that doesn't seem gradual, or at least the way I was told to increase was by only 500 mg and stay there for 2 weeks before increase another 500 mg, etc.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
bkkgirl wrote:

If you increased from 1 g to 2 g and stayed for a week and jumped to 4 g, that doesn't seem gradual, or at least the way I was told to increase was by only 500 mg and stay there for 2 weeks before increase another 500 mg, etc.

See my post above...I'm a dork! Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
It is not very likely MSM will purge through your skin like that. It sounds like contact dermatitis or dust mites. Both will cause little blisters. Did you take your spring clothes out of storage or are you using a new soap?
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I love this site. And love all the posts. And find it informative, interesting, enertaining. Fun.
I wouldn't, however, use it for medical advice. Just my opinion. Supplements can be great. Or not. And they're certainly not without risks.
So, please, everyone take care. And be careful.
pcnetwrx
5% products discount

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
cookie wrote:
... but my Mom was allergic to sulfer so I decided to stop.
I feel really good now so I will not be taking it anymore.

Many people are allergic to sulfa drugs, but the sulfur in MSM is in a different form and even people that are allergic to sulfa drugs can take MSM safely. But always start out small and work up slowly in any case.

When someone experiences jitters or heart palpitations when taking MSM, it is almost always due to past (or present) use of stimulants including caffiene. And it almost always goes away when you stop the stimulants and are thoroughly detoxed.
nadjazz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
Pachouli wrote:
It is not very likely MSM will purge through your skin like that. It sounds like contact dermatitis or dust mites. Both will cause little blisters. Did you take your spring clothes out of storage or are you using a new soap?

Yes, I did think it was unlikely to be a purge, but that floating white thingy freaked me out.
No new soaps, and spring clothes have been stored in my usual walk-in closet. Confused

5% products discount

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:09 pm      Reply with quote
jakee wrote:
Supplements can be great. Or not. And they're certainly not without risks.
So, please, everyone take care. And be careful.

Ditto on the everyone being careful. Personally though, if given a choice between a drug (even prescribed) or an effective supplement, I'll choose the supplement every time. MSM completely removed my need for long-term use of Prilosec, which had its own list of side-effects that I was experiencing.
cookie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:17 pm      Reply with quote
rcnetwrx, that is so interesting. I cannot and will not give up coffee, so should I try taking the MSM in a smaller dose? I use to use the Jarrow brand and did not feel the anxiety. I switched to Rich's which is a pure MSM and along came the anxiety.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:17 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |