Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
What else to add to the Retin-A regime?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
scottishskingirl

Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Hello!

First time poster here, be kind Smile

I've recently gone through a very traumatic relationship breakdown resulting in the end of my abusive marriage. During the last 5 years or so I have not looked after myself in any form, from my diet, to hair to skincare as well as being in a constant state of depression, anxiety and stress. After leaving my husband, I began to make some changes in these areas by taking control of my health/diet and try to improve my skin. I developed cystic acne 2 years ago due to an over production of stress hormone and managed to get this under control in the last 6 months but my skin is rough looking to say the least!

My skin is dull, oily in my t-zone, light sun damage, red scars from acne and I have a congested nose area with blackheads. I've also noticed a deepening of lines on my forehead. I began using tretinoin 0.05% 3 weeks ago and my skin looks a little better, fresher perhaps - no active breakouts or peeling but a little redness and sensitivity. I think I am yet to go through the 'uglies' I keep reading about!

I know that the results from Retin A can take up to a year to see but I want to make sure I am getting the best out of my routine. I've been acting more on the cautious side with my routine but wondered if I should consider adding in some other/better products into my regime to boost things a little. My routine is as follows:

AM
Wash face using vitamin E facial wash with muslin cloth
Apply vitamin E oil, allow to soak in
Apply Factor 30 Nivea Facial Suncreen

PM
Wait 30 mins then apply pea sized amount of tretinoin 0.05%

I have pretty 'tough' skin so began using the Retin A every other night for the first 2 weeks, then bumped it up to every night this past week. I just wondered if anyone would suggest any additions to what I am already doing or replacements. I'm about to turn 30, so other than looking a bit 'rough' because of the stress and the forhead lines, I don't have any other major wrinkle issues but I believe prevention is the best measure in these things!
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Hi scottishskingirl,

30 is a good time to start taking care of your skin, still young enough to really make a difference. I suggest adding:

AM:
1. After cleansing, a BHA or AHA toner (look at Paula's Choice). Helps with texture and will clean out pores.
2. Vitamin C serum such as Skinceuticals C & E Ferulic or similar with L-ascorbic acid. Helps with pigmentation and is an antioxidant.
3. Moisturizer with niacinamide and ceramides. Maybe Olay, Dr. Jart, Cerave or NIA24. Helps with plumping and protecting skin barrier (and niacinamide helps lighten pigmentation). Then sunscreen.

PM:
1. After cleansing, a BHA or AHA toner (look at Paula's Choice). Helps with texture and will clean out pores.
2. For pigmentation, try a hydroquinone product or other lightening product with arbutin,kojic acid, licorice root, etc.
3. After tretinoin, apply moisturizer or oil (or both) to balance your oil production and hydrate skin.

A couple of times a week, use a mud mask to deep clean. Also exfoliate with a stronger product when needed to revive dull skin.

If you wear makeup or very sticky sunscreen, be sure to double cleanse each night.

I don't have oily skin so this is about all I can recommend.

Dry skin but not many wrinkles; 50s and Asian; Topicals: Vit C, tretinoin, hydroquinone & azaleic acid for melasma; Likes: SK-II, Shiseido, Shu Uemura, Skinceuticals, Obagi, P50, Sunday Riley, Hada Labo, facial oils
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Okay with oily skin you are lucky in some ways. Firstly you need to probably get a stronger sunscreen. Believe it or not if you are using Retin A it makes your skin more sensitive to light and damage and so 30 isn't really strong and you may want to opt for stronger.

Now with lines on your forehead, start to look and see if you are raising your brows. Often times we make expressions throughout our day without even realizing. If you are raising your brows 100x a day then thats when lines start to develop and appear.

Now 3 weeks is nothing with using tretinoin. Don't be alarmed if you aren't getting peeling yet or flaking. That's not a sign of anything. Some people go through years without uglies and some get it from day 1. What we do know is that the past 30 years has produced numerous studies indicating that Retin A has some great abilities but needs consistency and majority of studies were done of yearly use.

Now you say you are using "Vit E Facial Wash". You also use Vit E. Could you elaborate on what you are using exactly. is it a store bought wash or is it an oil capsule you are mixing with water and using? Secondly where is the Vit E you are using coming from? Store bought, freshly squeezed etc. Vit E is like Vit C - there are many different kinds/qualities out there. The fact you have oily skin to me suggests this may not be your best choice, as Vit E oil is usually quite thick and heavy and for oily skinned folks that often means their faces go into over production of oil. Instead you may want to opt for a lighter oil like avocado or rosehip.

Best

Tessie
canadian86
5% products discount

Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
If you are using tretinoin you will need a stronger sunscreen with higher UVA protection. European and Asian formulas have vastly better UVA protection than their US counterparts. I prefer Asian SS though because the textures are much better and they are cosmetically elegant. Check out the website Ratzillacosme and look at the PA++++ SS reviews.

You may also want to add a vitamin C serum for daytime under your SS for antioxidant protection.
Angelcat47
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:25 pm      Reply with quote
hello, First I must say congratulations on leaving your abusive marriage. It is a difficult,scary yet very courageous thing to do.

I'm 54 and still oily with minor acne. I agree with all the recommendations here but I have a few economical products to recommend for these categories. For antioxidant protection: Skin Actives Antioxidant Serum has multiple antioxidants,a light,watery texture and is inexpensive(I think about 12.00 per ounce at skinactives.com).For a good moisturizer try Cerave PM(it has niacinamide,hyaluronic acid and ceramides). It says it's for dry skin,but it doesn't make me oily at all. About 14.00 at drugstores. For a light,high protection SPF, I use Biore UV Aqua Rich Watery Gel SPF 50(I get mine at Amazon.com for about 11.00). It's so light it feels like nothing.It's an Asian sunscreen such as one of the previous girls mentioned. I also agree about the Vitamin E;it's much too heavy for oily skin. I like jojoba oil but the previous recommendations are good,too.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
scottishskingirl wrote:
Hello!

First time poster here, be kind Smile

I've recently gone through a very traumatic relationship breakdown resulting in the end of my abusive marriage. During the last 5 years or so I have not looked after myself in any form, from my diet, to hair to skincare as well as being in a constant state of depression, anxiety and stress. After leaving my husband, I began to make some changes in these areas by taking control of my health/diet and try to improve my skin. I developed cystic acne 2 years ago due to an over production of stress hormone and managed to get this under control in the last 6 months but my skin is rough looking to say the least!

My skin is dull, oily in my t-zone, light sun damage, red scars from acne and I have a congested nose area with blackheads. I've also noticed a deepening of lines on my forehead. I began using tretinoin 0.05% 3 weeks ago and my skin looks a little better, fresher perhaps - no active breakouts or peeling but a little redness and sensitivity. I think I am yet to go through the 'uglies' I keep reading about!

I know that the results from Retin A can take up to a year to see but I want to make sure I am getting the best out of my routine. I've been acting more on the cautious side with my routine but wondered if I should consider adding in some other/better products into my regime to boost things a little. My routine is as follows:

AM
Apply vitamin E oil, allow to soak in
Apply Factor 30 Nivea Facial Suncreen

PM
Wait 30 mins then apply pea sized amount of tretinoin 0.05%

I have pretty 'tough' skin so began using the Retin A every other night for the first 2 weeks, then bumped it up to every night this past week. I just wondered if anyone would suggest any additions to what I am already doing or replacements. I'm about to turn 30, so other than looking a bit 'rough' because of the stress and the forhead lines, I don't have any other major wrinkle issues but I believe prevention is the best measure in these things!

Hello!

Good for you with your new start. How great that you had a way to get away from abusive relationship and now, you are moving on.

I am a believer of not using moisturizer because I feel it make my skin look heavier and allow the skin to be more "lazy".

Use an appropriate cleanser, invest on quality vitamin c, EDS sell Vivier vitamin C, or you can get Skinceuticals or ZO Medical vitamin and start slow (read my reviews); and use AHA or BHA on top of that, then sun protection. You don't have to put on a lot of sun protection, only a gram for the face, but ensure you reapply every hour or two.

At night, I don't moisturize. I use retinol and sometimes this peptide (I choose to use ZO brand) to help maintain the firmness of my skin. I am able to work it up so that I can apply my retinol on my brow bone, crow feet and under my eyes. All of this is in moderation and to start slowly (once a week for a few years and build up to every third day) It is only as you get older that you need to apply daily and your skin is well maintained.
Once in awhile, I'll have to use something to help bleach my skin from all the sun damage. If you don't have that, try your best to prevent it Smile
hotdocgirl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:51 am      Reply with quote
First, good for you for taking control of your life and taking care of yourself first!

Retin A is great ..but it takes time to really work its magic. Stick with it, as it does irritate the skin for a while..and the skin actually can look worse. But it is an investment worth while.

You are getting a lot good advice.. I will add that you should invest in a clarsonic. I swear by mine. It makes all your products work better and it exfoliates the dry flakes from using retin A. It makes a huge difference. When I first used retin A my face was red and my foundation would show in the dry flakes on my face. It was a mess and I almost quit my Retin A routine. Then I purchased a clarsonic…and it made all the difference in the world. No dry skin left on my face. I use mine morning and at night.

Good luck…keep with your routine and your skin will be glowing within three months.
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:48 am      Reply with quote
hotdocgirl wrote:
First, good for you for taking control of your life and taking care of yourself first!

Retin A is great ..but it takes time to really work its magic. Stick with it, as it does irritate the skin for a while..and the skin actually can look worse. But it is an investment worth while.

You are getting a lot good advice.. I will add that you should invest in a clarsonic. I swear by mine. It makes all your products work better and it exfoliates the dry flakes from using retin A. It makes a huge difference. When I first used retin A my face was red and my foundation would show in the dry flakes on my face. It was a mess and I almost quit my Retin A routine. Then I purchased a clarsonic…and it made all the difference in the world. No dry skin left on my face. I use mine morning and at night.

Good luck…keep with your routine and your skin will be glowing within three months.

Yes, I agree. If you decide to invest on Clarisonic brush, remember to use a very gentle cleanser and don't press the brush onto your skin, it is supposed to lightly touch your skin and allow the vibrater to remove the impurities.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:15 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |