Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Whats going on with my skin? How do you repair barriers?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
MouseHouse
5% products discount

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:37 pm      Reply with quote
Symptoms-
Very dry skin. Itchy in some places. But can get oily
Forehead has many tiny fine lines when I pull the skin.Vertical wrinkly pores. It almost looks crepey, but no horizontal wrinkles or lines.
Skin on temples, cheeks, and upper lips looks crepey and not plump and bouncy. You can actually see really close up and in some light where I sleep.
Tiny clogged comedones all over forehead and chin

Routine: Burts Bees Deep Cleansing Cream, Emu Oil or Hemp Oil.

I'm not sure if my skin barrier has been messed up by past exfoliation. I've also been experiencing some emotional stress. My skin just looks so dull and sallow right now, and super dry.
I'm also worried it's loss of collagen or something? Would I really be getting collagen loss this early that would make skin look less bouncy?

I'm considering switching to cetaphil or something, since everyone sings its praises.
MouseHouse
5% products discount

Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
Also adding I'm considering the oil cleansing method and then cetaphil.

I hear good and bad. It's usually either "OCM IS GOD!!!!!" or "OCM RUINED MY LIFE OMGUGHHH"

It's usually one extreme or another haha
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:40 am      Reply with quote
Okay at 26 you are a baby compared to some of us (Im 60 plus nearly 70!) and you are starting at the right age. Okay a few things – what is your diet like? It sounds like you have lost facial fat and thus are looking a little gaunt from your description and with emotional stress that something we all go through and do similar. Second thing is that skin constantly repairs and heals itself every 6 weeks. So if you did mess up your skin from over exfoliating, it will heal up but it needs to be nourished correctly by moisturizing without anything that’s going to interfere with the healing. Cetaphil is a good choice and it is a basic non-irritating cream so worth doing. It is unlikely to be collagen loss for another 20 plus years yet and that’s when MP starts up if at all. With dry skin you might want to opt for something like olive oil (Sophia Loren is a fan) because its great for dry skin and plumps it up nicely!
MouseHouse
5% products discount

Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:21 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Okay at 26 you are a baby compared to some of us (Im 60 plus nearly 70!) and you are starting at the right age. Okay a few things – what is your diet like? It sounds like you have lost facial fat and thus are looking a little gaunt from your description and with emotional stress that something we all go through and do similar. Second thing is that skin constantly repairs and heals itself every 6 weeks. So if you did mess up your skin from over exfoliating, it will heal up but it needs to be nourished correctly by moisturizing without anything that’s going to interfere with the healing. Cetaphil is a good choice and it is a basic non-irritating cream so worth doing. It is unlikely to be collagen loss for another 20 plus years yet and that’s when MP starts up if at all. With dry skin you might want to opt for something like olive oil (Sophia Loren is a fan) because its great for dry skin and plumps it up nicely!

I think I lost a little facial fat, but is that normal going into late 20s? I've always had a lot of facial fat, and it's definitely less now. I don't want stress to be the cause of my face losing fat, because I'm sure it won't come back after that. I also did lose 8 pounds recently, but I'm trying to gain it back.
Would vitamin c serum get in the way of my skin healing?

My diet is a little sporadic. I've had some sugar binges and fried food binges for sure. I haven't been eating very healthy honestly. I'll eat super healthy for a few days and then have a few not so great days of cheese, alcohol, fried food, wheat.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:01 am      Reply with quote
“Normal” will be different depending on who you speak with, but with emotional stress in place one of the things that often goes out the window is eating properly and healthily. Sorry but at my time of life – I have been there, done that, worn t-shirt and as soon as you start eating healthily again the fat starts reappearing. Vit C is a good choice but depending on strength – some people find it irritating. It can help but it’s the irritation that can be tricky.

Life is about balance at the end of the day and diets should be included in that – you don’t have to eat just raw food but you should get some raw vegetables and fruits into your diet. Also FATS are not BAD but are actually good but there are many types and learning which is which is the challenge. Olive oil has some and that works well as a moisturizer for some. Sophie Loren is supposedly a fan and she looks great imo.

Everything you do now will help you age better or worsen so that should be motivation for you. The body and face is amazing. I have had hundreds of changes during the years both self caused and due to life stresses. It is nothing major and your body changes as well each year.
MouseHouse wrote:
I think I lost a little facial fat, but is that normal going into late 20s? I've always had a lot of facial fat, and it's definitely less now. I don't want stress to be the cause of my face losing fat, because I'm sure it won't come back after that. I also did lose 8 pounds recently, but I'm trying to gain it back.

My diet is a little sporadic. I've had some sugar binges and fried food binges for sure. I haven't been eating very healthy honestly. I'll eat super healthy for a few days and then have a few not so great days of cheese, alcohol, fried food, wheat.
MouseHouse
5% products discount

Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:46 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
“Normal” will be different depending on who you speak with, but with emotional stress in place one of the things that often goes out the window is eating properly and healthily. Sorry but at my time of life – I have been there, done that, worn t-shirt and as soon as you start eating healthily again the fat starts reappearing. Vit C is a good choice but depending on strength – some people find it irritating. It can help but it’s the irritation that can be tricky.

Life is about balance at the end of the day and diets should be included in that – you don’t have to eat just raw food but you should get some raw vegetables and fruits into your diet. Also FATS are not BAD but are actually good but there are many types and learning which is which is the challenge. Olive oil has some and that works well as a moisturizer for some. Sophie Loren is supposedly a fan and she looks great imo.

Everything you do now will help you age better or worsen so that should be motivation for you. The body and face is amazing. I have had hundreds of changes during the years both self caused and due to life stresses. It is nothing major and your body changes as well each year.
MouseHouse wrote:

Thank you for the advice! Would you say you've managed to make some really good changes for your skin? Id rather not let stress completely destroy my looks! It's such a shame. I just hate looking at my skin now and thinking I've permanently damaged it so young
MouseHouse
5% products discount

Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:39 am      Reply with quote
Oh I also wondered if it's too late to fix/prevent sun damage at my age?

I worked in the sun a lot one summer when I was 16. Since then, I've maybe only had a handful of burns that were really only slight redness that dissipated within a day. I wear sunscreen and stay out of the sun all the time now, but I wonder if i've already done permanent damage.

My Mother was a tanner and sun worshiper, but honestly only had eye wrinkles. She does have melasma though. My dad has REALLY bad rosacea, from driving a convertible IMO. They also had really bad diets, haha. Also both have high stress jobs. But overall, they don't look too old for their ages. They always looked younger than their age growing up up.I'm hoping if I can make some lifestyle changes, I can really turn things around.
I'm a bit worried about the sun though.
I will admit that I partake in alcohol a lot more than they did, but not sugar. Mom drank soda every day of my childhood growing up (i wouldn't touch it!)
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:51 am      Reply with quote
Absolutely I have changed my skin and I did so even as a youngster. You need to do something to help you feel good. At the moment you are letting this depress you which is only going to do more harm long term. You are still young and your face will go through many changes. You have not permanently damaged it but maybe you should see a professional derm for their opinion and treatment. That way you will know for sure?
MouseHouse wrote:
Thank you for the advice! Would you say you've managed to make some really good changes for your skin? Id rather not let stress completely destroy my looks! It's such a shame. I just hate looking at my skin now and thinking I've permanently damaged it so young
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:56 am      Reply with quote
It is never too late for prevention, but prevention is better than cure but also sun damage can be undone but it takes time and work and dedication.

If you have always used sunscreen (with UVA/UVB protection) then that’s great, but UVA and UVB knowledge wasn’t readily available until the 90’s so most creams that were used didn’t prevent the damage from being done. However it is reversible but needs a look at diet and topical skincare – particularly vitamin C.

The way we judge ourselves is very harshly and unhelpful. Your mother and father having good genes is great, because it means you have some of those too and so long term with taking action now you will probably be as lucky as them.
MouseHouse wrote:
Oh I also wondered if it's too late to fix/prevent sun damage at my age?

I worked in the sun a lot one summer when I was 16. Since then, I've maybe only had a handful of burns that were really only slight redness that dissipated within a day. I wear sunscreen and stay out of the sun all the time now, but I wonder if i've already done permanent damage.

My Mother was a tanner and sun worshiper, but honestly only had eye wrinkles. She does have melasma though. My dad has REALLY bad rosacea, from driving a convertible IMO. They also had really bad diets, haha. Also both have high stress jobs. But overall, they don't look too old for their ages. They always looked younger than their age growing up up.I'm hoping if I can make some lifestyle changes, I can really turn things around.
I'm a bit worried about the sun though.
I will admit that I partake in alcohol a lot more than they did, but not sugar. Mom drank soda every day of my childhood growing up (i wouldn't touch it!)
MarionMazzei

Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
I liked [ spam ] skin lighter serum. I have sun damage and dark areas on my skin causing it to look dull.It was also gentle on my sensitive skin. After time of adding this into my skin routine, Im seeing more brightness to my complexion. I'm also seeing the darker areas lightening and brightening. Im very excited to see how it'll look after a few more months!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |