Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Apple Cider Vinegar...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
I've just been reading the raves about it on MUA and I wondered if anybody here has ever used regular apple cider vinegar mixed with plain old H2O as a toner? According to the MUAers, using apple cider vinegar as a facial toner is especially effective for those afflicted with oily skin. Among the benefits: it helps even out skin tone and smoothes out your skin's texture, helps minimizes the size and appearance of pores, dries up and reduces redness from breakouts almost over night (sounds like our beloved Yonka Juvenil!!!), helps regulate oil production and impart's to your skin "a radiant glow." Sounds like a winner to me!!

I'm already a huge fan of vinegar in general -- I add a couple tablespoons of ACV to my bottle/s of shampoo or conditioner to turn make them "color-safe" (i.e.: prevents my dyed red hair from fading in a matter of days) as well as give the shampoo "clarifying" properties and the conditioner "shine-enhancing" properties, and I add plain white vinegar to my washing machine because it eliminates ground-in odors and helps prevent colors from fading (and no, your clothes don't come out of washing machine smelling like a fish & chips takeout place -- you can't even smell it) as well as to my dishwasher in lieu of "Jet Dry" because it prevents streaks and spots on dishes, but I never ever thought to use vinegar as a toner!! However, since I'm such a fan of DIY beauty products (the aforementioned shampoo/conditioners, the aspirin/honey facial mask, the homemade Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Cream and homemade Vit-C serum, etc) I think I'm going to give this stuff a go...especially since I'm nearing the bottom of my bottle of Decleor Tonifying Lotion.

I guess if it works, I can add it to the list of "Grandma's Homemade Cures and Remedies"! Smile Anyway, I'd love to hear from anyone else who has tried this....

TIA,
Carrie
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi have had apple cider vinegar capsules before used as weight loss tablets but to be honest I can even remember what happened, so they cant have been that good. I did have alot more success with Thermoslimmer.
thatgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

I used to drink ACV mixed with water but I don't know if I noticed any changes or not. Tastes awful!!!

What is the receipe for the toner?

I made a green tea toner that I saw on acne.org and that made my skin a lot softer and helped with past acne scars/redness.

Thanks!
queenpedauque
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
I used to use this as a final rinse after washing my face. I diluted with water. The idea for me was to return the acid mantle layer to my skin. My skin did look pretty great at the time. The ph of strawberries is the same as skin too. I'm not so sure about lemon.
Anyway, the concept is to keep the skin at the right ph for its health and of course it's ability not to be too reactive. This is kind of the old school approach. For those of you that have been around for awhile..remember Amino Pon beauty bar from Redken.
I used a diluted version on my hair too.
Smile
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thatgirl-

How do you make green tea toner? I am a big fan of green tea- is good for reducing eye-puff

Also apple cider vinegar recipe sounds good.
Hope it works well for you Carrie

maddy
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I am almost out of toner and I would love to try this!! Any idea if you are supposed to dilute it (and if so how much) or use it at full strength?
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
Great vinegar tips carecate! I'm going to try it in my laundry and dishwasher for sure.
I drink apple cider vinegar straight as an antibacterial for my throat. I don't mind the taste. My husband already thinks I'm nuts. Wait until he sees me dabbing it on my face.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:11 am      Reply with quote
Well...according to the MUAers, you can make an apple cider vinegar toner to fit your particular skin-type. For example:

• Sensitive skin: 1-part vinegar to 5-parts water;
• Dry skin: the ratio would be 2:5;
• Normal skin: the ratio would be half and half;
• Oily skin: 4-parts vinegar to 2-parts water (although some extremely oily MUAers reportedly use applie cider vinegar neat!!).

Personally, I went home last night and made myself an AVC toner (remember, I’m über-oily). I filled the bottle up about 3/4 with ACV, then added (distilled) water to the top-fill line. I used my new toner last night after my Decleor Cleansing Gel and homemade Dr. Hauschka cleansing cream (If you’re a fan of Dr. H CC, you really need to try the recipe for the homemade version!! I customized mine by adding a few drops of Ylang Ylang oil and a teaspoon of Vit-C crystals to help regulate my overbearing oil glands and reduce redness and even out skintone!!). I can report that the vinegary smell only lasts until the toner dries, and almost immediately my skin looked more clear and even and I didn’t experience any excessive dryness (i.e.: that dry, tight, over-stripped feeling) so I guess the ratio of ACV to water was just right for my skintype....

Basically, what the MUAers recommend is trying out different vinegar to water ratios to find the one that’s just right for your particular skin. So, if you make your toner and find it’s a little drying just add more water to it.

Hmmmm...I wonder what the benefits would be if you combined ThatGirl’s green-tea toner recipe with the ACV toner recipe (i.e.: put some green tea in your ACV toner)...? I have to go to Whole Foods this afternoon to return my tube of Dr. H Cleansing Cream (not because I didn’t like it, but because I like my homemade version even better!!), so mayhap I’ll pick up a box of green-tea while I’m there, so when ThatGirl shares her green-tea toner recipe I’ll be all ready to go!!!

HTH,
Carrie

P.S. BTW, another use for vinegar is to run a pot of white vinegar through your automatic-drip coffee maker to clarify and remove buildup. I’m not a java-drinker, but my mom does it with her coffee machine (first you run a pot of vinegar through, then you run about 3 pots of water through to remove the vinegar so you don’t end up with sour coffee!). You can also put a cup or two of ACV in your hot bath water as a soak to soothe aching muscles....

FreeFall2 -- I love virtually drowning my fish & chips in malt vinegar, but I don't think I could tolerate drinking it neat!! You're a braver woman than I!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:44 am      Reply with quote
This is a bit off topic, sorry but I can't help myself. Vinegar here is seen as a beauty supplement to be taken internally.

I'm living in a small Chinese city which produces a famous 400 year old vinegar in various guises; one being 'beauty vinegar', it's a drinking vinegar and actually rather nice to drink, but it's supposed to be drunk daily to improve you skin and I always forget so I can't report on results. Maybe I should try again. There are also, believe it or not, vinegar bars here which are just like bars but only serve vinegars.

Here's a little excerpt in typical local Chinese English about it's health giving properties.

------Health-care Vinegar, made from Baoning Vinegar which become the motherliqour of Health-care Vinegar with various valuable traditional Chinese medicines, has the following functions: dropping the blood pressure, lowering the blood fat, nourishing liver and kidney, making person healthy and beauty, preventing diseases and restraining cancers. It was approved the health-care food by the Ministry of Health of the P.R.C. in 1997.-----

contents of beauty vinegar: water?Baoning Vinegar?honey?Ginseng?Tuber of multifloweded knotweed?jujube?peppermint?pearl powder?Nibojin ester
Materials: the spring water of ancient “Songhua Well”?wheat bran?polished glutinous rice?medicinal yeast

and here's a page about the city which mentions the vinegar (really off topic now).
http://www.chinatoday.com.cn/English/20023/lang.htm

I've always thought it's a really good vinegar with a very interesting taste - I use it in my cooking most days. I've been planning to try and sell the cooking version in the UK, but if I suddenly find I'm very beautiful would anyone be interested in buying the beauty version? Laughing

M
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Molly, that's really interesting about the chinese vinegars. I cook with vinegar a lot too, just about every meat dish gets a splash of balsamic and chicken always gets some white.

I just remembered another use for vinegar. When I was 18 in Fiji I was badly sunburned on the backs of my legs. The captain gave my mom a cup of vinegar to put on the burn. It really soothed them and I didn't blister. I'm 35 now and the backs of my legs are still a different color from the front. Yes, you can burn on cloudy days!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
I read the same stuff on MUA a while ago but was never brave enough to try it out for myself. Was worried it would dry out my skin too much. I love the sound of some of these homemade skin remedies and always make a mental note to try them but never actually do.
Make sure to post again after using the ACV toner for a couple of weeks, Carekate. I'd be really interested to see how the experiment goes. Smile
thatgirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:55 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

Here is the link about the green tea toner.

http://www.luxuryfashion.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=50278&highlight=green+tea+toner

This link also works: (this one is posted in one of the messages)
http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=41497

I hope this helps!

thatgirl
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
I just got back from the health food store with my bottle of apple cider vinegar! There are even variations in the type you can buy -- I ended up purchasing the raw and unfiltered organic type. I'll let you gals know how it works out for me! I am so excited to try out a cheap alternative to my Dr. H toner.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:06 am      Reply with quote
Hey Chimera -

I’ve been using the ACV toner since Thursday (I made mine 75% ACV and 25% water) and this morning I noticed a little flaking around my nose and a bit on my cheeks (it seems that my nostrils are the only place on my face that isn’t oily!!) so I’m thinking my formulation might be a bit too strong/drying so I’m going to dilute my toner a little more and make it 50-50% and see how that works. I just wanted to warn you, in case you want to start out with a weaker formula and work your way up rather than start too strong....

Either than that tiny bit of flaking, I have to say that so far I’m really liking the ACV toner...it really does seem to help even out my skintone, although I’m sure it’ll be another week or two before I start to see full benefits from it. I’ll keep everyone posted!!

Carrie
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:13 am      Reply with quote
I use white vinegar to clean my coffee pot periodically and do the same with my dishwasher and washing machine and I have heard of using apple cider vinegar to melt fat but have never been able to drink half a cup of vinegar! I also don't really need to take weight off as I'm an exercise fiend. As a college student, when I couldn't afford anything else, I used it as a hair rinse. I'm an avid swimmer and it was great for counterattacking the effects of the chlorine in the pool.

The only problem - and I suspect it would be the same problem if used as a toner - is that I was totally convinced that I smelled like a salad. Laughing....
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:37 am      Reply with quote
I use a toner made up of cider vinegar (great for acne, sunburn, skars, cuts etc), witch hazel, rose water and if you really want it to be strong add some tea tree.
My skin seems to love cider venegar - my boyfriend says I smell like a bag of chips though!!!
Oh if your have any verucas on your feet apply a mixture of tea tree and cider vinegar, works a treat.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:08 am      Reply with quote
katee wrote:
The only problem - and I suspect it would be the same problem if used as a toner - is that I was totally convinced that I smelled like a salad.
FYI - when ACV is used as a toner, I've found the smell only lasts until the toner actually dries on your skin.
katee
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Laughing.... Ah that's good to know carekate!!! To be honest, I think the same is true when you use it as a hair rinse. Nobody ever smelled it but me, and I suspect that the smell would just kind of get locked in my nose, if you know what I mean.

HOWEVER, there are alot worse things to smell like than salad Wink
Penelope
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:49 am      Reply with quote
Apple cider vinegar also kills the bacteria (or whatever) that causes some types of dandruff. Apply it to dry or damp hair, wrap your head in a towel for 20 minutes or so, and shampoo as normal.

I also use vinegar to clean out my iron and tea pot.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:28 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate -- thank you so much for bringing up this suggestion!! I've been using my homemade toner since Friday and my skin is SO much less oily. I've been using 3 parts vinegar to 2 parts water for my very oily skin and it seems to be working quite well. The only problem is I'm oily again at night so maybe i need to spritz it on throughout the day!

And you are right about the smell -- it only lasts for maybe 2 minutes after application. To be honest the smell doesn't bother me at all, it's much more pleasant than the white vinegar my ENT used to make me clean my ears with!! Maybe I'm weird but it smells pretty good to me and I'm tempted to drink some too. Wink
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:41 am      Reply with quote
I also ran out and got the raw unfiltered organic ACV,mixed it with Rosewater (half and half) sprayed it on my face as a toner for a day now, really seeing a difference. After reading the link from Acne.org this morning, I just mixed a little VitC powder and green tea in it. Hopefully, I have created the SUPER toner.....

Next to try, homemade Dr. H CC. Thanks again Carakate Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:07 am      Reply with quote
Great minds think alike! Just last night, I was ‘tinkering’ with my homemade ACV toner...first I added about 10 drops of Ylang Ylang oil (remember, I’m a grease monkey on my face!!), then I toyed with the idea of mixing in a teaspoon or two of my Vit-C crystals but wondered if that might be “overkill” since I’d customized my homemade Dr. Holland Wink Cleansing Cream with Ylang Ylang and Vit-C, but now I think I’m going to have to go home and mix the Vit-C into my toner.

Okay, where did you get/how did you make rose water? And how did you get the green tea into your toner, did you just brew some green tea like you would for drinking, then pour it into your toner once the tea had cooled? Maybe you and I need to go into business and start marketing our “super toner” – we could even have an “oily-skinned” version that included the Ylang Ylang for those afflicted with that dreaded skin type!!! I mean, I’ve already got ChunLisa clamoring to try my Dr. Holland CC for oily skin! Wink Very Happy
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:29 am      Reply with quote
Haha ! YEAH ! I am having fun, my kitchen looks more like a beauty lab now.

I brewed top pick young green tea leaves, then pour it in the toner. I got the rosewater from local health store, really cheap.

Business in homemade POTENT products? sounds like heaven Very Happy

Btw, I don't know if it's the green tea or the ACV, I notice the white bumps on my face (the one which looks like whitehead, milia ??) all dried up already, and this is only after 1.5 days of use, AMAZING !!

I also added a few tablespoons of ACV in my shampoo last nite, my curls all came back. While I was lathering it in my head, I was wondering......since ACV cleans up residue, will it be good to my diamond ear studs too ? (which I never take off), will check again tonite after shower, haha !

really EXCITED for another ritual tontie

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:45 am      Reply with quote
Meanwhile, I am also brainstorming on the sson-to-happen SUPER detoxifying-antiaging-hydrating-antioxidant serum. YES, I am lazy, it will be fabulous if ONE serum can take care of it , once and for all.

So far on the list... I have rosewater, emu oil, Vit C, calendula oil, Trace mineral concentrate(the one sold at health food store for internal use, which contains more than 75 sorts of trace mineral, tastes like sea water, and I TRULY believe sea water/trace mineral does wonder to my skin, so I will put a few drop in it).......will think of the rest of the list before I roll up my sleeves and do the lab experiment tonite, any suggestions ??

Think

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:54 am      Reply with quote
ACV in shampoo?? OMG I am so excited! I'm going to try that out tonight . . .
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |