Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
SUN IS GOOD FOR YOU.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
sharky2
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:28 am      Reply with quote
In general sunlight is good for you. Sunbathers live longer than those who do not indulge. Sun is good for heart health and protects against many cancers. Yes some are prone to skin cancer but that is generally easily curable AND the reduction in death from other cancers and heart disease is LARGE. Also I study nanomaterials and also their use in medicine. Sun lotions that contain very small particles can be dangerous in my opinion. Paradoxially outdoor workers have LESS not more incidence of melanoma the most dangerous form of skin cancer even though they get MANY times the amount of UV radiation. It is important for kids not to get bad sunburn and there are many new types of swimwear (rash guards) that protect.

Here are two recent articles:
P. G. Lindqvist, E. Epstein, K. Nielsen, M. Landin-Olsson, C. Ingvar, H. Olsson. Avoidance of sun exposure as a risk factor for major causes of death: a competing risk analysis of the Melanoma in Southern Sweden cohort. Journal of Internal Medicine, 2016; DOI: 10.1111/joim.12496

Wiley. "Why do sunbathers live longer than those who avoid the sun?." ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 21 March 2016. <www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/03/160321135854.htm>.
baneblades

Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:02 pm      Reply with quote
Sunlight and skin cancer, I yet cannot comprehend whether sunlight is harmful or beneficial for the skin.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:17 am      Reply with quote
The Vit D and other goodies in sunlight are without doubt beneficial but the trouble is that it’s the harmful UVA and UVB rays which have the ability to penetrate deep into the derma and cause damage to the skin, that doesn’t always show up right away. Even if you used sun protection prior to the 90’s – we didn’t know it was the UVA and UVB rays that were the bad guys and most people got exposed to them as a result, and the issue is that the damage doesn’t show up right away, sometimes it takes 10 or 20 years to shift to the surface. UVA and UVB can penetrate glass, windows etc so even if you stayed indoors – unless you were living in complete darkness its likely that at some point you will have been exposed to them. There are things that you can do though with sun exposure. For example Vit C is great to apply after being in the sun and counteracts the harmful UVA and UVB rays. Sun protection is a must for starving off future possible damage.
sharky2
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:05 pm      Reply with quote
There are two wavelength ranges that interactwith the skin UVA (longer wavelength) and UVB (shorter wavelenth.UVB is responsible for vit D production and UVA is primarily responsible for skin damage.
Inside an office or from tanning beds you get UVA mostly.
The below is a quote from the J. of Medical Hypotheses (vol.72(4), 2009 pg. 434-443) trying to explain why indoor workers get more melanomas than those who work primarily outdoors.

"We hypothesize that one factor involves indoor exposures to UVA (321–400nm) passing through windows, which can cause mutations and can break down vitamin D3 formed after outdoor UVB (290–320nm) exposure, and the other factor involves low levels of cutaneous vitamin D3.

After vitamin D3 forms, melanoma cells can convert it to the hormone, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3, or calcitriol, which causes growth inhibition and apoptotic cell death in vitro and in vivo."

They are saying that UVB protects agains melanoma whereas UVA which goes through windows may be causal.

From a Lancet review (Vol. 363, 2004, pgs. 728-730 best British med journal):

"Paradoxically, outdoor workers have a decreased risk of melanoma compared with indoor workers, suggesting that chronic sunlight exposure can have a protective effect."

It should give pause that the rates of skin cancer are increasing even though the fraction of people in this country working outdoors is decreasing significantly. In addition, there are many more studies than I have cited above that show sunlight decreases heart disease and every other type of cancer. I say Viva la soliel.
That said DO NOT use sun tan booths they put out mostly UVA at greater than 10 times the intensity of sunlight a real prescription for skin damage.

On top of that most sun tan lotions are loaded with nanomaterials (particles less than 100nm is at least one dimension). Depending on size and surface functionality these can go through the skin and into cells. There is significant evidence that these may be contributors to ill effects although there are no very long term studies. Although this is an evolving field it is my direct area of research so I do not use lotions or cosmetics with nanoparticles.
mahatrans
5% products discount

Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:39 am      Reply with quote
Wow, I never thought much about these sunscreen products. Sharky's posts here have a lot of information in them that I have never read before. Thanks for the informative read.
valmontfan1984
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:57 am      Reply with quote
Sunlight is good unless you expose yourself too much to it. I would always wear a hat on beach to avoid the sun burn.
Just to keep in mind ,most of the sunscreens sell in North America do protect you from getting tanned, they only make sure that you don't get sun burnt.
bugaboo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:24 pm      Reply with quote
Sunlight is good for you, Vitamin D. 15 minutes a day is suggested as beneficial.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:27 pm      Reply with quote
baneblades wrote:
Sunlight and skin cancer, I yet cannot comprehend whether sunlight is harmful or beneficial for the skin.
everything should keep moderation. A little sunshine can give you good healthy but so long time stay in sun may be a killer for your skin
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:01 pm      Reply with quote
Actually, they are now saying there is a high incidents of vit D deficiency in many western countries.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2218035/BetterYou-highlights-vitamin-D-deficiency-epidemic-UK-National-Vitamin-D-Awareness-Week.html
Organicskincare55
5% products discount

Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Anyone that tells you that prolonged exposure to the sun is beneficial for you is misguided at best.

Moderation is key here.
AmberP
5% products discount

Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:25 am      Reply with quote
Hello! I know that vitamin D is good for the skin, but you also have to be careful. Now, in winter, I realize that it is especially lacking, and my skin suffers from it. Thank you for your answers.
naia2006
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:52 pm      Reply with quote
This study does not account for the fact many individuals with a history of skin cancer are sun avoidant---thus the incidence of skin cancer among those who are sun exposed may not be indicative of the fact that sun exposure is not a risk factor in skin cancer.

It seems this study is pointing less to the benefits of sun exposure and more so to the protective effects of vitamin d--and this can be achieved by oral therapy.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:45 am      Reply with quote
I think its like most things, its all about balance. Whilst I agree some sun is good for us, I think its easy to overdo it too. For me, I had breast cancer several years ago and am in remission (thank God) but I know that I have to take Vitamin D supplentation (Dr has prescribed it) and I recall reading that most people are deficient in vitamin D. Vit D is a must for most folk, as it helps in so many ways. Our bodies cant absorb calcium without it (and that is key in aging).
RobiN0963

Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:34 am      Reply with quote
I have a pale skin, so during the sunny weather I feel like my skin burns. I can't leave my house without a SPF scream
dennisleon

Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Sunlight triggers the synthesis of vitamin D within the body. The Sun light to protect your skin against early wrinkles, damage, and disease. Consult with Lucere Skin care
MichalMad

Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:46 am      Reply with quote
I think we get enough sunlight and so even when we walk down the street
adwivedi22

Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Sunlight releases serotonin (the happiness hormone) in your brain, boosts your bone health, and actually might help treat several skin conditions.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |