Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Desperate help with skincare after going through cancer
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
salster68
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

Where do i start. The past so many years seem to have taken its toll on me quite badly.

First my dad had lung cancer. He went through treatment like a hero. A few months afterwatds he took ill and we found out he had brain tumors. What follwed was just awful and heartbreaking. Im still dealing very much with losing my dad. A few months after i lost my dad i eas made redundant from where i had worked for years. I got a job straightaway. 5 months into my new job i got breast cancer. For the following year and a half i went through operations chemotherapy radiotherapy etc. Ive finished treatment just over a year ago but this last uear has still been a struggle with effects from all treatment and medication etc. It is also pushing me through tbe menopause aggresively.

My problem is it has aged me quite drastically. My skin has changed so much and not in a good way.

I have lost a great deal of elasticity and volume in my face and also eye bags and wrinkles are quite awful.

I do get a little shiny around my nosr... t zone area .... but everywhere else seems to have gone dry and wrinkly like i cant kerp or get it hydrated.

Everytime i put foundation on it sits in lines especially around my mouth and eyes and just looks kind of flaky everywhete else. Ive tried so many fkundations but i feel i need to start right back at skincare to get my skin looking at least somewhat better.

I feel i need to onvest in the following...
1. Cleanser that wont dry my skin out any more... msybe a non wash cleanser as ive read too much water on the face van be too drying.
2. Toner.... someone said maybe i should only use toner every3 days as it may be striping my face oils too much.... what do people think and what toner is good

3. A good night cream

4. Maybe an oil treatment to put on my face once or twice a week to give it a good drink. Someone tecommended clarins Blue orchid oil..... is this hood or are there better ones.

5. A good moisturising hydrating and anti aging eyecream

6. A good moisturising day cream.

Ive thought maybe to add a very low retin a cream or maybe otc pro retinol cream to fight aging

Could anyone help with a badic skincare routine and a routine of what to use to prep my skin before putting on foundation.

So sorry for the awfully long post but i really woukd be so so grateful gor any ecpert advice. Im so lost with it all. I just dont know whete to start or what to try and so low with not being able to do get my skin looking better.

I should mention. Ive been off work at least the last 2 years and only just doing a phase return to work. Ive not received financial help since being poorly and so im agraid my budget gor skincare is low.... just so people know i can mot afford really good products😢

Thankyou all in advance for any help.

Sally xxxx

5% products discount

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
salster68 wrote:
Hi

Where do i start. The past so many years seem to have taken its toll on me quite badly.

First my dad had lung cancer. He went through treatment like a hero. A few months afterwatds he took ill and we found out he had brain tumors. What follwed was just awful and heartbreaking. Im still dealing very much with losing my dad. A few months after i lost my dad i eas made redundant from where i had worked for years. I got a job straightaway. 5 months into my new job i got breast cancer. For the following year and a half i went through operations chemotherapy radiotherapy etc. Ive finished treatment just over a year ago but this last uear has still been a struggle with effects from all treatment and medication etc. It is also pushing me through tbe menopause aggresively.

My problem is it has aged me quite drastically. My skin has changed so much and not in a good way.

I have lost a great deal of elasticity and volume in my face and also eye bags and wrinkles are quite awful.

I do get a little shiny around my nosr... t zone area .... but everywhere else seems to have gone dry and wrinkly like i cant kerp or get it hydrated.

Everytime i put foundation on it sits in lines especially around my mouth and eyes and just looks kind of flaky everywhete else. Ive tried so many fkundations but i feel i need to start right back at skincare to get my skin looking at least somewhat better.

I feel i need to onvest in the following...
1. Cleanser that wont dry my skin out any more... msybe a non wash cleanser as ive read too much water on the face van be too drying.
2. Toner.... someone said maybe i should only use toner every3 days as it may be striping my face oils too much.... what do people think and what toner is good

3. A good night cream

4. Maybe an oil treatment to put on my face once or twice a week to give it a good drink. Someone tecommended clarins Blue orchid oil..... is this hood or are there better ones.

5. A good moisturising hydrating and anti aging eyecream

6. A good moisturising day cream.

Ive thought maybe to add a very low retin a cream or maybe otc pro retinol cream to fight aging

Could anyone help with a badic skincare routine and a routine of what to use to prep my skin before putting on foundation.

So sorry for the awfully long post but i really woukd be so so grateful gor any ecpert advice. Im so lost with it all. I just dont know whete to start or what to try and so low with not being able to do get my skin looking better.

I should mention. Ive been off work at least the last 2 years and only just doing a phase return to work. Ive not received financial help since being poorly and so im agraid my budget gor skincare is low.... just so people know i can mot afford really good products😢

Thankyou all in advance for any help.

Sally xxxx

Hi Sally,

I am so very sorry for your loss and all the pain and suffering you're going through now.

I have to say I am not expert when it comes to skin care but I do have few suggestions which may help you based on my own experience with dry sensitive skin.

1. For cleanser, I highly recommend Bioderma micellar cleansing water. It really does not dry skin and cleanses fairly well. Since I discovered this product, I continue to use each morning and evening, sometimes I do use a different cleanser but I always come back to this again.

2. Currently I do not use a toner as I feel that micellar cleanser is sufficient enough to hydrate and clean my skin without the ph being affected.

3 For both day cream and night cream I highly recommend Dermalogica Intensive Moisture Balance. Its really a wonderful moisturizer, non irritating and highly moisturizing without being heavy or greasy. Now I can't really say about the anti-aging aspect about it but I feel its best to start with this moisturzier before getting into all of the anti-aging actives. Although, you can could try the hydrating or firming booster with the dermalogica cream but I can't really comment on it as I have not tried the boosters myself.

4 For eye cream I highly recommend Yonka's excellence code eye cream. This is what I am using and I find it to be very gentle and soothing.

Lastly, please do not forget to use broadspectrum sunscreen, personally I like to use Shiseido Ultimate Sun protection lotion SPF 50+ Its gentle and light on the skin.

I truly hope this helps..

Big Hugs to you.
tigerlily009
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 am      Reply with quote
I'm very sorry to hear about your loss and all your misfortunes..It's all very tough and you've got to be a strong woman to have been through it all. But things will get better.
A few years back I went through some similar tragedy with my own father. I didn't have to go through what you went through with your cancer but I did have some rough financial times following it and I was on the cusp of menopause...and it all took its toll. You can reverse some of the toll.

I'd urge you to try, as best you can, to get your diet on track as best you can. If supplements are out of the question right now then do your research and try to heal what you can from the inside out. Drink lots of water.

I would suggest you try some face exercises to stimulate your skin. There's free ones on youtube..
https://www.youtube.com/user/RENEWMETVCHANNEL
..is a good one and so is
http://www.shapeyourface.com/exercise-one/..

There are some products that don't cost an arm and a leg..I haven't tried them but their reputation is pretty good and one of those is
http://theordinary.com/about
They have very affordable retinol and C serum and other products.
I don't think you necessarily need a toner or a special eye cream.

Oils are also good at moisturizing and regeneration and they last a while. They can be used under the eyes and everywhere else..
Everyone has their favorites..mine are rosehip seed oil and pomegranate seed oil..
I've heard good things about carrot seed oil..There's also Argan, jojoba, primrose, olive, coconut...etc etc

I think just sticking with a mild cleanser is best..https://www.amazon.com/CeraVe-Hydrating-Facial-Cleanser-Washing/dp/B000YJ2SKM?th=1
CeraVe is considered a good one.
When your skin is still damp you can apply the C serum and then the moisturizer or oil of your choice.At night the retinol and the oil or moisturizer. Always apply thinnest to heaviest.

I hope some of this has been helpful.
And please keep us updated.
salster68
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Hi Aimeloi and tigerlily009

aww thank you both for taking the time to reply, i really do appreciate it.

I will most certainly have a look at those products you have both mentioned. Maybe i am able to find samples somewhere which will allow me to try things first.

Thank you both again so much

best wishes

sally xxx

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
Hi salster,

I'd second picking up the Ordinary products. You can buy straight from their site or beautylish now carries the line. Everything is extremely low priced for the quality. They have a Vitamin C serum, the Ascorbyl Glucoside Solution 12%, that is only $13. If you want to splurge a bit more, the Vitamin C serum from Drunk Elephant is amazing, but insanely priced at $80.

I'd recommend picking up the Ordinary Lactic HA serum for $6. I put this on at night and in the morning, I have the smoothest skin and my makeup goes on beautiful. It does not irritate my skin at all. You can layer on your moisturizer for extra soft skin.

The Ordinary also carries the rose hip and marula oils, both of which gets rave reviews.

Klairs has a blue calming cream that you may like. Klairs is sold on amazon in addition to wishtrend site.

http://www.wishtrend.com/skin-care/1531-midnight-blue-calming-cream-klairs.html?search_query=blue+cream&results=18

If I think of any other favorites, I will let you know. I hope you heal you quickly.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hello! I support the earlier suggestion to incorporate facial exercises and massage along with these excellent product recommendations. Lymphatic massage would be especially important considering. Make sure to be eating very healthy while doing facial exercises, in particular being sure to include lots of healthy fats and proteins so that you build muscle. Also make sure to give yourself more rest than a lot of these facial program suggest. One day of exercises with two days of rest is a good starting point. Wishing you the best!

Almost 40! with sensitive/responsive skin, using facial exercises very lightly. Derminator or prof micropen just a few times a year. AQ eye serum (great for lash growth too) on occasion. Otherwise natural skin care products.
Marie1120
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:48 am      Reply with quote
Sorry you are going through all of this.

I've heard positive things about Clarins oils but I have not tried them personally.

A little over a year ago I had a really bad episode with my skin where the skin barrier was disrupted and my skin was extremely dry, irritated, and even more sensitive than usual. I tried a lot of things and finally the Nuxe dry oil and moisturizer made the big difference. I am in the US and can't buy it here anymore. It soaked in quick. Now I use either the L'occitane Divine Oil or Leahlani Evening Replenishing oil.
https://www.leahlaniskincare.com/collections/shop-all-products/products/mahina-evening-replenishing-elixir
When my skin is really dry, I wash my face when I get home and put the oil on. Before going to bed, I put moisturizer on top of that. When I used the Nuxe, I could use the oil in the morning and it would soak in quick enough that I would use moisturizer too. My skin was so soft.

For moisturizers, I will sometimes use PM ones during the day - unless they have retinol in them. If I need to use sunscreen, I just use that. During the week, my foundation has sunscreen which is enough since I am outside only for brief periods. Here are some moisturizers that I like for my dry skin:
Replenix - they have a couple of evening ones that you can use day or night.
Skinceuticals Triple Lipid Restore
Cellex-C GLA Extra Moist
Caudalie Premier Cru
Bioelements Sleepwear (PM only), Really Rich

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:24 am      Reply with quote
Hi All Very Happy

Thank you all for your wonderful input. it is jsut a quick reply at the moment as i am at work. I have printed off the information so that when i am at home i can sitdown and have a look at it all.

I really do appreciate everyones kind help and advice.

Sending lots of love to each and every one of you xxxxx

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:26 pm      Reply with quote
Dear salster68, I suggest don't go crazy with chemicals all at once...your body and skin is enough stressed with chemo and everything.
Go slow, start with 1/2 things and overtime add more in your skin regime.

First I can highly recommend EMU OIL, oil that is full of healthy fatty acid. Have so many good benefits for skin. You can find so many information about this holly grail oil on internet.

and second, my favorite skin care product: Korean Sulwhasoo Concentrated Ginseng Cream. If you are buying in US this face cream is very pricey....but....if you do little bit research you can order 5mil samples on Ebay that is very very affordable. Trust me...this cream is something amazing, whole line is amazing
Ottawa Shopper
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
The ordinary sells some pure oils-I don't see how they would be bad as they just repackage them.

I had a couple of their oils, but gave them away-so need to rebuy them again.

Not getting any help- do you mean the government did not give you any money or you did not qualify??

Some people I know are older and have health issues, but due to age they get nothing extra from the government.

One of my friends-she is 41 and can not work...she has a bunch of mental and physical problems and she gets money from the government.
She could not pay her rent and did not have a place to stay-so she had to get a room at some special shelter for a couple of years.

For clarins oil samples Shoppers and the Bay is usually pretty good for giving people samples if you ask in person...
arielstar08
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:24 pm      Reply with quote
Good luck with your journey to recover.

Like previously mentioned, less chemicals the better.

I would love you to go to see a qualified Aromatherapist who uses YOUNG LIVING essential oils. I would spend the money on a few body massages and take home some essential oil facial products. The like of Jasmine, Rose, Ylang ylang, Frankincense oils are INVALUABLE for your WELLBEING.

I stress the word WELLBEING. When you feel good on the inside, you will look great on the outside.

All the best.
karenlee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I'm so sorry you are going through all this.

You haven't mentioned what your budget is. If it can stretch to tools, I wholeheartedly recommend the Sqoom device. (You can do a search and find a lot of discussion in the DIY Skincare forum)

My sister bought one after seeing the difference in her face after using mine, and when she got ovarian cancer last year, it really helped her self esteem. It's not a miracle you-will-look-10-years-younger device, but it will immediately make you look fresher and brighter.

I'm too lazy to use mine every day, but I always take it on holiday with me, or use it after a later night. Rather than make you look young, it makes you look like the best version of yourself.

Hope this helps x
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
First of all I am sorry you have had health issues.

What are you currently using? I agree with OttawaShopper to get samples when possible. In regards to oils, I can suggest Garden of Wisdom sample pack for $10.00 (three your choice based on skin type).

Please do not start with multiple chemicals, tools, acids, Rx. Even when healthy skin, it is difficult to know what products is the culprit if your skin does not like the new routine.

I highly recommend a sunscreen. It is a proven anti-aging. Sunscreen is the most expensive item for me. My other items are lower cost including some DIY.

My skin type is highly reactive, sensitive but I don't have dryness.

What country are you in?

I can tell you some of my favorites.

Bioderma micellar cleansing water (pink cap). Goes on sale 2 for 1 at Shoppers Drug Mart.

Cerave PM - contains niacinamide

Replenix CF Serum (contains green tea) Recently purchased for $68.00 US
GOW has a close dupe.(half the cost)
Differin .1% OTC in the US (This is a game changer)

Nivea Q10 night cream - under eyes and neck. Very moisturizing and cheap (under $20.00)
The Eucerin Q10 is most likely similar and well liked on Makeup Alley SC forum.

I make my own cleansing oil. I use this at night to remove my sunscreen/mineral makeup.

I have sunscreens:
La Roche Posday Hydraphase UV 30 (Cdn) (also another LRP one spf 60)
Avene (mineral and another one)
Paula's Choice Resist 30 (this is tinted zinc) You can order samples from PC to try.

I also have Olay spf 15. Cheap under $10.00 US. This is fine for winter, at home NOT summer outside.

You can find good basic skin care from the drugstore.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
This is a link to a skin care blog. She talks about sunscreen in detail. Also some basic DIY recipes including cleansing oil.

http://www.skinacea.com/diy/diy-recipes.html#OIL

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:13 am      Reply with quote
Hope you are recovering and feeling better.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |