Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Another Retin-A disaster
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
GlowingSkin

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:49 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 33 years old, male.

Had perfect skin until I stupidly tried out Retin-A maybe 3 times spaced over a few weeks (I thought I was acting prophylactically to keep my excellent skin going longer).

Almost overnight my skin became ruined, I now have large open pores all over, orange peel and bad texture, I looked very young because of my skin was told around 23-25 on many occasions, after Retin-A now I look 38+. This was a year ago.

My story is almost identical to skindeep77 on the following thread:

Retin A creating open pores and bad texture

As recommended, I have been using Cerave PM daily with little or no effect, in fact it irritates my skin causing itching.

Could anyone suggest an alternative product I can use to help me get my old skin back and deal with the issue?

I used to have oily skin it's now gone dry post retin-A.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:42 am      Reply with quote
Are you able to speak to a derm and get real life advice? My heart goes out to you. I know many people try out Retin A on their own and sometimes they use the wrong kind of product that just isn't right for their skin. Part of me would think it should be easy to get your skin back to its former state but it will need work and dedication to get there, but you can do it. Speaking to a real life derm will help you in that they can advise you best on which products to use and when you are likely to see results. Good luck
GlowingSkin

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:48 am      Reply with quote
A derm will probably just suggest more Retin A...

I doubt they will be of any help.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:26 am      Reply with quote
A good derm won't suggest that, you are already writing them off without even making contact. Contact them in advance, send them photos and tell them your concerns and at least they can respond to you and give you suggestions in writing and any treatment protocols they recommend.

Not all derms recommend Retin A. Am I right in thinking you self medicated with Retin A? Retin A is a prescription only medicine for valid reason, and it has to be said that there are millions of people who self medicate and get bad results. Some derms are actually against Retin A usage and suggest retinol for example, and others suggest other things too. If you are serious about getting back to your former skin health then why not try and get some advice from a professional? I don't get it (and if I were in your shoes - I would be willing to do anything).

GlowingSkin wrote:
A derm will probably just suggest more Retin A...

I doubt they will be of any help.
GlowingSkin

Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:28 pm      Reply with quote
I'll take it on board, but there have been people on this forum who have turned it around without a derm.

When I get a moment will get in touch with one.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:07 am      Reply with quote
Absolutely and I'm not saying you need a derm to do this, but it will help you feel better talking to someone who has professional knowledge and has studied and qualified in this area and get real advice that you can use right away.

Those who have turned it around, have spent time and long hard hours and it hasn't been an overnight thing - and your first post indicated you wanted a fast result which was the only reason I suggested going to a derm.
GlowingSkin wrote:
I'll take it on board, but there have been people on this forum who have turned it around without a derm.

When I get a moment will get in touch with one.
GlowingSkin

Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:58 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Those who have turned it around, have spent time and long hard hours and it hasn't been an overnight thing - and your first post indicated you wanted a fast result which was the only reason I suggested going to a derm.

Never did I say I wanted a fast result, I think you projected that onto me.
wenning
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
Unfortunately, you can find more products that can help your pores and make your skin healthy and young again. Good luck.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:34 am      Reply with quote
Okay I take it back and please ignore my posts from now on. Figure it out yourself and I won't say another word!
GlowingSkin wrote:
TheresaMary wrote:

Never did I say I wanted a fast result, I think you projected that onto me.
GlowingSkin

Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:26 am      Reply with quote
wenning wrote:
Unfortunately, you can find more products that can help your pores and make your skin healthy and young again. Good luck.

Can or can't?

If you meant can't, I don't agree whatsoever - because people have reversed this kind of damage.

If can, can you suggest what products you meant?
Belle Vie
5% products discount

Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:40 pm      Reply with quote
I've used Retin-A for 20+ years and at first it was VERY drying. Did you use the pharmaceutical or an over the counter? Retin-A is by prescription only.

A couple of Q's:
Did you use it alone or with a moisturizer?
Has your skin began to exfoliate/flake?
Do your pores appear clogged?

Retin-A is concentrated vitamin a, which accelerates skin cell turn over, hence the flaking and dry skin. Enlarged pores could be from lack of exfoliation or excess oil production due to dry skin.

Exfoliating is a must for me to remove the flaking. When using Retin-A, you should tread slowly at first - diluting it with a moisturizer, using it 1-2x per week at first to allow your skin to acclimate. When I've had to stop due to pregnancy, I had to reintroduce it to my skin slowly. Find the best way your skin can tolerate and build from there. It is hands down the best skin care product I've ever used, along with glycolic acid and Vit C. You won't regret it.
GlowingSkin

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:00 am      Reply with quote
I started very slowly, pea size and only once a week or every other, I did it about 3 times only.

I used pharmaceutical prescription Retin-A lowest %.

I moisturised a lot at the time. Pores don't appear clogged.

I was horrified what it did to my face, I had some mild irritation thought that was normal. When I eventually saw the Orange Peel and what it was doing to my skin I stopped but the damage was already done that was over a year ago.

Overnight it aged me by 10 years. I'm not the only one who has reported this nightmare of a chemical.
havana8

Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
Orange peel texture can be dehydration but it is also associated with a loss of elasticity that comes with aging, free radicals, sun damage and other factors. Sunscreen becomes especially important when using retinol products.

I seem to remember a post from ages ago that mentioned that Niacinamide, such as NIA24, helped over time in a similar situation.

Also, wanted to mention that if your skin is unable to tolerate Retin A, another consideration to explore may be Rosehip Oil.
GlowingSkin

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
It's nothing to do with ageing as it happened over night due to the Retin-A.

I don't go out in the sun at all, I also live in England not that much sun here.

Niacinamide irritates my face and makes it itch. I used Cerave PM for a while without effect.

I will look into the Rosehip Oil.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:01 am      Reply with quote
I'm also an Englander and you are mistaken.
Whilst there may not be much sun there are both UVA and UVB rays that penetrate glass (so even if you stay indoors all day you will not be free from UVA and/or UVB rays).

I have also used Retin A now for over 50 years now, so it may just be the preparation or source you used (i.e. gel, cream, microgel etc).
All different types suitable for different measures.
GlowingSkin wrote:
It's nothing to do with ageing as it happened over night due to the Retin-A.

I don't go out in the sun at all, I also live in England not that much sun here.

Niacinamide irritates my face and makes it itch. I used Cerave PM for a while without effect.

I will look into the Rosehip Oil.
PuzzleQ

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:46 pm      Reply with quote
Retin A started a years long battle and obsession with skin care. I had perfect skin and just like you I tried to be proactive (I had a friend sell me prescription grade Retin a) and it was the worst thing I could have ever done. Orange peel texture, inflamed pores, holes all over my face. No one has texture like my skin- not even my parents in their 60s! It has been literally a nightmare for the past 6 years. I have finally been able to regain SOME confidence with the use of a derma roller.

It took me forever to figure out what happened too because it changed almost overnight and I thought it had something to do with my bad habit of picking when I was a teen but I later realized it was the retinol.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:33 am      Reply with quote
I’m sorry to hear of your experience, and thanks for highlighting what I have been saying all along. Its not wise to self medicate. One thing though that I want to point out for clarity purposes. Retin A and Retinol are not the same thing (although long term they can achieve similar results). That’s really important to recognise. With Retin A, it is available in a variety of forms, which is why I think its essential to work with a professional derm who has had proper training. There are gel forms, cream forms, micro delivery forms etc and there are a variety of strengths too.
PuzzleQ wrote:
Retin A started a years long battle and obsession with skin care. I had perfect skin and just like you I tried to be proactive (I had a friend sell me prescription grade Retin a) and it was the worst thing I could have ever done. Orange peel texture, inflamed pores, holes all over my face. No one has texture like my skin- not even my parents in their 60s! It has been literally a nightmare for the past 6 years. I have finally been able to regain SOME confidence with the use of a derma roller.

It took me forever to figure out what happened too because it changed almost overnight and I thought it had something to do with my bad habit of picking when I was a teen but I later realized it was the retinol.
PuzzleQ

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah I had a feeling when I was typing that there was a difference honestly the nightmare was so long ago and afterward I avoided any product that even remotely sounded like any of the Retin oaks or Retin a. What ever it was it was strong and burned tiny holes in my face.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:08 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |