Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Curly Heads
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi girls,
I have been wondering about getting my hair relaxed in the salon. My hairdresser told me last time that there is this formula (not the japanese one ) that relaxes your hair. It does not make them straight like japanese one but it rather tames the freez and makes hair faster to blow out.
Did anyone tried any of the relaxers on their curly heads?
If yes, I would love to hear you results and opinions on it.

Thanks
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:22 am      Reply with quote
Isn’t ‘relaxing’ basically what black ladies do to straighten their hair? I’ve been told that relaxing is nothing more than taking hair perming solution and simply combing it through your hair (instead of rolling onto perm rods) in order to ‘unlock’ the natural wave/curl pattern of the hair....

Before you do anything, you might want to consider that wavy/curly hair is back “in” this season. And personally, I think it’s a helluva lot sexier than straight hair!
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate,
Thanks for responding. I think there are not enough of curly head girls here or they are all hiding Wink
I actually like my curls but I noticed that now that my hair is way below my shoulder I always wear it in a pony tail. This drives me nuts. If I put the gel after I wash my hair, the first day it looks ok but the second day I don't know what to do with it. I really hate washing my hair every day. I simply don't have time for it every morning. I had my hair relaxed about 5 years ago and all I remember is that I still had to blow dry my hair for some time in order for it to look straight. Well, at that time I had a really short haircut and I sort of had to. But now I want to relax my hair not for the purpose of it being straight as a pin but rather to calm that frizz down.
There are different relaxers. The japanese one makes your hair straight as a pin. You wash it, brush it and don't even have to touch a blow dryer. It is easy to maintain. Other relaxers ( I don't know names) also make your hair straight but you still have to blow dry it. The blow drying time is probably cut in half though. I am interested in the last one but what I wanted to know how the curly hair looks after it without blow drying. My hairdresse tells me that I will still have curls but there will be less frizz, but I am afraid to loose all my curls Sad
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:53 am      Reply with quote
aren't we a strange bunch, people with straight hair get theirs curled or iron it even straigher (am I the only one to think this whole flat hair thing looks un-sexy?), those with curly hair get theirs straightened.

As a straight head who has gone through several perms, back to wavy and straight, the only advice I would give is don't do anything permanent unless you are really REALLY sure about it. Personally I think healthy hair looks good be it long and wavy or straight as a pin. Wink
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:48 am      Reply with quote
I have straight hair but my younger sister has a full head of really curly hair and she used to hate it (they all called her sheepy at school!!!)
Anyway she is 16 now and absolutely stunning - even I'm envious. What makes her even more stunning is her curly hair, when she is in a group of people, you see her first, she really stands out from the crowd so to speak.
I would love to have her curly hair for a few days. Laughing
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:46 am      Reply with quote
Eve wrote:
(am I the only one to think this whole flat hair thing looks un-sexy?)
No, you're not the only one! I think girls with flat, straight hair are a dime-a-dozen. Like Rosebud said, her baby sis's curls make her stunning and really stand out....

Kpka - have you thought about using a product like Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum to help control your frizz, while maintaining your curls? There are a bunch of other products out there that also do this...let me put my memory cap on and see if I can recall the names of others so I can make some other product recommendations for you -- stay tuned!
Mammamia
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:23 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote
Before you do anything, you might want to consider that wavy/curly hair is back “in” this season.

I'm so happy to me "in" this season after so many years of being "out" during the straight hair, Jennifer Aniston et.al. years. Smile
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:54 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate,
Where are you?
I am still staying tuned here Rolling Eyes
Any other reccomendations?
captain lola
5% products discount

Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
kpka wrote:
Hi girls,
I have been wondering about getting my hair relaxed in the salon. My hairdresser told me last time that there is this formula (not the japanese one ) that relaxes your hair. It does not make them straight like japanese one but it rather tames the freez and makes hair faster to blow out.

Thanks

kpka, you should ask your hairdresser if he or she is talking about a texturizer. My hairdresser had suggested that to me when I told her I was sick of the frizz, but didn't want to go flat or for my curls to look limp.

To hear her speak, texturizing sounded like the perfect solution for my woes. The thing is though, a texturizer is the same as a relaxer, it's just that the chemical is left in the hair for a shorter time so as not to straighten the hair too much.

My hairdresser is super experienced and really a miracle worker. However there are some Things I Wish I'd Done before letting her "texturize" my hair.

1. Asked how much exprience she has with this particular type of relaxing.

2. Asked to see one of her clients who'd had it done.

3. Done a strand test so that she could see exactly how long the chemical would have to be left on my hair to achieve the loose curl I was looking for.

In the end my hair was just the same as if it had been relaxed the usual way; the chemical was just left on too long. This hair voodoo is a very precise art...

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
Captain Lola,
Thanks a lot. This was very helpful. I think my hairdresser started doing this a year ago. Actually it is not him but his wife. She also has curly hair but she did not use relaxer on herself. She loves her curls. They both claim that people who have done it are very happy. I did ask them if I could see a picture ( he keeps an album of some of his cuts) but he said that he doesn't have time to take pictures anymore. May be I will ask them to do it on my bangs since I blow it straight anyway.
So you are saying that your hair is now totally straight?
Can we see before and after picture ? Rolling Eyes
Dabawenya62
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:49 am      Reply with quote
hELLO!

I'm not sure whether "relaxing" or "texturizing" is the same as what I've been hearing from my niece (she's a teen model in my home birthplace - Philippines) and she has a wavy hair but not too curly though, which she called and have done "Hair Rebond" I understand from her is that it will make your straight, shiny and manageable. But if you're into tying your hair or braiding it, I think that's a No-No Crying or Very sad At any rate, I think if you browse the Net and just get some info and ask your hairdreser if she/he had heard of it. I believe it last at least 4-6 months. Good Luck!

Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
I had my hair relaxed a year ago using the L'Oreal ExTenso treatment (I have seen variations on the spelling, XTenso?, something like that).

What a disaster. My hair ended up much frizzier than it had been before, and the curls relaxed somewhat, but not in an attactive way, they were much nicer beforehand. So, I had the miserable combination of frizz and unattractive wavy/curly hair. Plus, I had paid a fair bit of money for the treatment. That was the last time I went to that hairdresser, I suspect that she overprocessed my hair.

My current hair dresser said she had never seen such a poor result from that treatment. I like my current hair dresser, but she told me this the first time that I had an appointment with her, so I wonder to what extent she said it in order to sell her salon as being superior to my previous salon.

Anyhow, much as I would love to have straight hair that I could brush in the morning, I will be avoiding relaxing treatments in the future - the devil you know being better than the devil you don't know and all.
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:49 am      Reply with quote
Ok, I get it. So far I heard only few people saying they were happy with their curly hair after relaxers or texturizers.
I guess my next question is : Have anyone of you "curly heads" found a product that actually works to get rid of the frizz and at the same time don't make your hair look greasy. I am not looking for a product that boosts my curls ( I have enough) but rather something that makes hair less frizzy and not dry. I found that a lot of silicone containing products make your hair very dry after a while. I am currently using Ouidad climate control gel and I think I like it but after few weeks of using it my hair feels very dry.
I tried using kerastase oleo-relax serum but it only made my hair more puffy.
I am still looking for my HG styling product for my curls.
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Kpka - IMHO, the Frederic Fekkai Glossing Cream is an absolute *gem* for de-frizzing without weighing the hair down.....I cannot stand the silicone-based products - they are horrible! The FF feels like a moisturizing lotion in your hands. My hair is about 4 inches past my shoulders and I use less than a dime-size, rub palms together and smooth over....It gives me a beautiful shine without that yucky silicone guck feeling...and doesn't make my hair feel greasy at all. When I let my hair go curly and use the FF, my curls look amazing - and they don't limp out on me - and my curls don't clump or stick together like they do with most of the other "supposed" fab treatments - yuck!!...Another fab product is the Redken Total Recharge - it's a spray that I put in my hair before anything else after washing/conditioning...it smooths the cuticle beautifully (*great* for curl quality!) The combination of the two really make my curly days fabulous.....Funnily enough, I find that most products designed for curly hair are lousy....I haven't found any that I would hang my hat on..
Pudoodles
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:27 am      Reply with quote
kpka wrote:

I guess my next question is : Have anyone of you "curly heads" found a product that actually works to get rid of the frizz and at the same time don't make your hair look greasy. I found that a lot of silicone containing products make your hair very dry after a while.
It's probably not the silicones that are making your hair dry, but the alcohol (i.e.: Biosilk Silk Therapy). I still seriously recommend Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum. And I'm still trying to remember all of the other products. I have two huge bottles of Super Skinny Serum, so I could pour some into a smaller container and send it to you to try out if you want. Just PM me with your name/address.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:33 am      Reply with quote
P.S. Like Pudoodles, I also *really* like the Fredric Fekkai Glossing Cream – you can get a small tube of it at Sephora for $8. Another similar product, which is actually my all-time fave hair styling product, is Aveda’s Brilliant Universal Styling Cream – I wrote a product review of it here a while back so if you want to read it, perform a search using “Aveda Brilliant” and “CareKate” as the keywords. If I had to choose between the FF Glossing Cream and the Aveda, the Aveda would win by a hair! That reminds me, I’m out of it so I need to stop the closest Aveda concept salon next time I’m running errands....
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Pudoodles,
Thanks for sharing!
I will get a sample of glossing cream next time I am in sephora. I will also ask my hairdresser to use redken total recharge on me next time. In fact I will call him now to schedule my appointment Very Happy

Carekate, I will PM you.
captain lola
5% products discount

Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:47 am      Reply with quote
kpka wrote:
Captain Lola,
Thanks a lot. This was very helpful. I think my hairdresser started doing this a year ago. Actually it is not him but his wife. She also has curly hair but she did not use relaxer on herself. She loves her curls. They both claim that people who have done it are very happy. I did ask them if I could see a picture ( he keeps an album of some of his cuts) but he said that he doesn't have time to take pictures anymore. May be I will ask them to do it on my bangs since I blow it straight anyway.
So you are saying that your hair is now totally straight?
Can we see before and after picture ? Rolling Eyes

No pictures mi'dear, sorry. I grew it out a while ago and have gone back to natural curls. I still have days of wanting to shave it off, and thinking that that would be an improvement to my lot, but I've also learned which curly styles don't obligate me to wash my hair almost daily and I go in to the hairdresser for a blow-out every few weeks for a change in my look.

Elegant braid styles work for me --two long french braids, or braided half-way and piled onto the back of my head in curls and tendrils or else tucked neatly away...

I've been rocking a ballet-girl bun for the past few and playing up my eyes, lips + healthy skin tone (finally! better show it off now, who knows how long it will last!) thanks to a new skin regime.

I'm using European Formula Curl Form Gel for high-pony-tail-curly-days (it has no drying alcohol in it and no "crunch" factor) and it does give my curls good definition, but still looking for the Holy Grail too..(where is the product that moisterizes _and_ de-frizzes without making curls tighter?)

I'd thought about going very short so that I could blow-dry and iron it straight by myself, but I'm still enjoying the curly styles that I can do now & they look better with a bit of length.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:49 am      Reply with quote
Fractionally superior is good enough for me!! Looks like I'll be stopping by the Aveda salon today!! I'm excited! Pudoodles
captain lola
5% products discount

Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:51 am      Reply with quote
This is an awesome thread.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:28 am      Reply with quote
My hair is naturally curly and thick. I have been flat ironing it straight for about a year,without a break in between. Needless to say my hair is beyond fried and nothing seems to help.

This morning I had to give in and come to work with curls. As is always the case when it is curly all I have heard all day is omg you hair looks beautiful.

With complete honesty I feel like total crap with my hair curly. It affects how I feel and my level of self esteem as vain as that may sound. It doesn't matter what anyone tells me or thinks it is how having curly hair makes me feel about myself. Now because my hair is so fried I am going to have to wear curls for a few months and am not looking forward to it at all.

Sorry for such a vent but I seriously despise my curly hair. On top of that it is curly today which makes me have a crummy attitude lol.

Sherri
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:38 am      Reply with quote
One more thing, for all you curly-heads trying to tame your frizz into lovely curls and tendrils....

To me, this is just basic Haircare 101, but I’m constantly shocked by the number of curly-haired women (including my own mother) who are unaware of this:

When you blow-dry your hair, to prevent frizz, you know you’re supposed to diffuse-dry, right? And not just blast the curls into oblivion with a direct blast of 1500+-watts from the hairdryer. That is the number one cause of curls gone bad and turned into frizz. In addition to diffuse-drying, it also helps significantly if you use the “scrunch” method while you’re diffuse-drying.

Forgive me for pointing out something so basic, but as I said – you’d be astonished how many ladies out there don’t know how to blow-dry their curly locks properly....
captain lola
5% products discount

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:44 am      Reply with quote
SherriinCanada wrote:
My hair is naturally curly and thick. I have been flat ironing it straight for about a year,without a break in between. Needless to say my hair is beyond fried and nothing seems to help.

This morning I had to give in and come to work with curls. As is always the case when it is curly all I have heard all day is omg you hair looks beautiful.

With complete honesty I feel like total crap with my hair curly. It affects how I feel and my level of self esteem as vain as that may sound. It doesn't matter what anyone tells me or thinks it is how having curly hair makes me feel about myself. Now because my hair is so fried I am going to have to wear curls for a few months and am not looking forward to it at all.

Sorry for such a vent but I seriously despise my curly hair. On top of that it is curly today which makes me have a crummy attitude lol.

Sherri

Sherri, I know what you mean on one level. I don't feel like my hair fits in at my work sometimes and at times feel like the texture of my hair is 'unprofessional'. It isn't entirely in my head - curls often appear more feminine for instance, or more non-conformist by default, and when i'm meeting with new associates there is a marked difference in how i am recieved and listened to in times when my hair is worn curly and when it lays flat.

It's unfair, and like any other first impression prejudice, people often aren't even aware that they are doing it; i hate that i have to think about that at work, but that's the way it is.

In fact, my curls are beautiful and I'm sure that yours are too Sherri (how can all of your co-workers be wrong), but I can understand how 'curly headed you' might not be the image of yourself that you're satisfied portraying at work or in life.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks lola and no doubt to others they are beautiful. Unfortunately it isn't how I feel with a mop of curls. I dont' even see other people with curly hair as having nice hair. I guess I really hate curls in general lol.
Sherri
kookykitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
kpka wrote:
Hi girls,

Thanks

Hello, there! Smile

I'm a curly head, too! I have battled with my uber frizzy curly tresses my whole life and I also relaxed it before at a salon. My hair was less kinky, but it was not straight. I did have nice waves as opposed to the crazy frizz I had grown up with, but the damage done to my hair and scalp wasn't worth it. It really dried my hair out and burned my scalp slightly in some places.

I have learned to love my curls and find products to nourish my hair instead of trying to battle it. My hair is now much healthier, shinier, and the curls are more like soft ringlets and waves instead of the kinky wirey frizz it was before. I treat my hair with conditioning products like Terax Crema, Redken SMooth Down Butter Treat, and Leonor Greyl Creme Aux Fleurs. I heard Ouidad makes makes amazing curly hair products as well. Aquage also makes lovely products. When I style my hair, I love to use Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock. It has the consistency of Elmer's Glue at first, but you really only need one pump for your hair. Spread it out between your hands and then work it evenly through damp hair. Let it air dry for lovely shiny wavy hair. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:33 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |