Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Has anyone tried ReAura Laser Device from Philips?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Sidmo
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
http://www.reaura.philips.co.uk/
havana8

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 am      Reply with quote
I've got my eye on this one although there doesn't seem to be too much on it out there yet:

Philips RéAura - Lighting up the world of skincare
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/lifestyle/laser-skin-rejuvenation/8809080/Philips-ReAura-Lighting-up-the-world-of-skincare.html

Philips ReAura under review
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sponsored/lifestyle/laser-skin-rejuvenation/8827681/Philips-ReAura-under-review.html

Light fantastic: Could a new home laser really take the place of a £4,000 skin treatment?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2061079/Light-fantastic-Could-new-home-laser-really-place-4-000-skin-treatment.html

£799 seems a bit pricey, though! even with a 2 year global warranty.
Sidmo
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:31 am      Reply with quote
The reviews from the Telegraph is sponsored by Phillips....So not so trustworthy I think
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:17 am      Reply with quote
As mentioned in the comments, the Daily Mail does a lot of these "miracle cream" and "miracle gadget" articles, which makes one wonder if it's a thinly-disguised advertisement.

There's even someone on there promoting their beauty blog. Anyway, I think £799 is too much money to splash out until there's some *trustworthy* positive feedback happening.

I got caught up in the first flush of raves for Palovia..but now the jury seems to be out. I think the inflammation these devices provide make people think there are permanent changes. Can't say I see any staggering results.

Who knows, the ReAura may be quite different (?).

The Telegraph's conclusion from the beauty writer: "Afterwards my face is pink and warm, but this is soothed with RéAura’s After-Care Complex lotion. My skin is glowing – I am impressed. It’s not every day I get to use a laser at home!" is so vague, it's a pretty useless verdict. The rest of the article is padded out with (I assume, Philips' own) statistics. It would need to be used over a much longer period of time.

The more in-depth article (over about 8 weeks, with feedback from 3 women) seems more positive. Whether the reviews are sponsored or not it's hard to tell. From others' experience of laser, at-home or in-salon, we can safely assume everyone's skin responds and regenerates differently. 100% rave reviews for these laser skin treatments is inaccurate.

And, again, what happens when they *stop* using the ReAura for a few weeks? That's what made a few people wonder about the Palovia's true effectiveness.

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
Sidmo
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:17 pm      Reply with quote
Found someone who is testing it;
http://www.beautygeekuk.com/2011/10/philips-reaura-first-treatment-log.html

She claims that it has helped her acne.
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:18 pm      Reply with quote
She put a comment on the Daily Mail website redirecting others to her blog. And the ReAura isn't really an acne or pigmentation (!) treatment, it's more for treating fine lines/scars/badly textured skin.

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
LittleMissMeUK
5% products discount

Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:40 am      Reply with quote
Hello,

I hope you don't mind me joining in this conversation; I'm the blogger who commented on the ReAura feature in the Daily Mail. Can I ask, what is so terrible about me trying to direct people who are interested in the ReAura to my blog which features a lot of information about my experiences with the ReAura? Having visited a few forums that included people asking about it, I thought it would be of benefit to make them aware of all my posts, especially considering I'm not a huge blog so I might not come up high on search results.

Hopefully you can tell from the blog that it's not a Philips blog and I'm completely independent and not sponsored.
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:36 pm      Reply with quote
A lot of beauty bloggers openly admit they get freebies from companies, though I'm sure there are ordinary Joes or Jills who put their independent thoughts out there and spend their own money; I never made that accusation in your case. But it does happen.

My comment about trustworthy feedback is directed more at the Telegraph/Daily Mail etc, as others on here have stated.

I should point out again that the ReAura *isn't* for pigmentation or acne, but it's great if it's helping your skin concerns..that's the reason every one of us buys a gadget, for positive results.

Laser can make pigmentation worse, so be careful. It's also not advised on active acne either.

Toby wrote:
LittleMissMeUK,
Welcome and glad you are here for us to ask you questions. Many of the members here use LED devices on a regular basis. If you are an avid LED user how would you compare your results with this Phillips device compared to an LED?
Again welcome
Toby

Am I missing something? I'm confused by that reply.

Can LEDs and at-home lasers be compared? I don't see anyone on the Palovia thread comparing it with the Anti-Aging Lightstim, for example (both of which I have).

For example, on the Dermaroller thread (the theory goes that damaging the skin makes it regenerate collagen, much like laser), some people don't use LEDs *at all* because they want to go through the wound repair cycle. Whereas others use their LED to soothe their skin post-rolling, or even post-TCA, for example. The consensus seemed to be to leave well alone to get the most benefit.

I've used the AALS for over 2 years, and the Palovia I used for nearly 2 months (a month nearly every day, then maintenance mode) before I decided to give my skin a rest.

I was using Palovia for bad skin texture/scars rather than acne or hyperpigmentation.

ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
It's the tone of the articles in these newspapers. It makes me angry. Magazines do it too, and skincare forums have one or two members spamming gushing posts everywhere.

Skincare/vanity is a very emotive subject, particularly if you have a chronic skin condition (I'm a long-time moderate acne sufferer, more under control now); many people are happy to make money out of other's misery. Just look at the stories on acne.org's forums.

Of course LittleMissMeUK can link to her blog! ..Just that in the context of that article, the comment looked like it could be yet more free advertising. I am human, and I can jump to the wrong conclusions like anyone else.

I don't want someone who is desperately unhappy about their skin to shell out £799 on something that may not work, and is hailed as the answer to their prayers.

Over-zealous, enthusiastic personalities can come across as going for the hard sell when they're not. On the internet it is very hard to distinguish one from the other.

Still no idea why LEDs and lasers could be compared though, unless I missed a memo/skincare study somewhere.

LittleMissMeUK
5% products discount

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
ljk wrote:
Laser can make pigmentation worse, so be careful. It's also not advised on active acne either.

When I spoke to the Philips Skincare rep I asked whether it was suitable for post inflammatory pigmentation and she said that whilst it's not designed for that, it should have an impact and for me it definitely has. I know of the Doctor who was quoted in the Daily Mail article - she tweeted me when I mentioned the ReAura in a tweet - and she said that she had met the woman mentioned in the article who had the treatment and she had incredibly skin. Up until about 2 days ago I'd only had one spot since starting the treatment. This could be a fluke, but for me, a great week is when I've only had one or two spots a day so I 'feel' it's likely that it's down to the ReAura. However, it could just be that my skins finally settled down; it's impossible to tell.

I'll just mention one last thing: I know all the women who work at my local Boots and I hadn't seen one of them since before I started the treatment. I saw her a couple of days ago and the first thing she said was "What have you done to your skin?" as apparently it looks so much better. So the ReAura is definitely doing something!
LittleMissMeUK
5% products discount

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
LittleMissMeUK,
Welcome and glad you are here for us to ask you questions. Many of the members here use LED devices on a regular basis. If you are an avid LED user how would you compare your results with this Phillips device compared to an LED?
Again welcome wave
Toby

So sorry Toby, thanks very much for your welcome and sorry I forgot to answer your post! I honestly have absolutely no experience with LED lights so I wouldn't be able to tell you how the two compare Sad The only thing I can compare the ReAura with - but this is a bit of a stretch - is a TCA peel as my skin feels very similar for the following couple of days; especially the area where I was most prone to acne (chin) and therefore have a lot of pigmentation. However, within a couple of days my skin is almost back to normal (although still very dry) whereas I found the TCA peel took longer before my skin went back to normal. To clarify though, your skin doesn't peel with the ReAura, it just kind of crusts up and then I would guess falls off or softens again - I don't actually know what happens to it to be honest!
Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
ljk wrote:

Still no idea why LEDs and lasers could be compared though, unless I missed a memo/skincare study somewhere.

My question came from a discussion I had with a friend in the UK that loves her cool or soft laser and when we talk about our devices she has often said that I am probably getting the same effect from my LED as she is from her cool laser. This is a little something on the cool lasers Low level laser therapy utilises biostimulating power of light to relieve pain, heal wounds and rejuvenate skin and other tissues. Cold laser therapy - and its applications in medicine, dermatology and anti-aging indications. Laser phototherapy is able to address many painful and inflammatory conditions and problems, ranging from pain relief to wound healing. Laser phototherapy also plays an increasing role in skin and tissue rejuvenation.
http://www.win-health.com/laser-therapy-phototherapy.html
After looking at the information on the ReAura, I realize it isn't in the same category as the cool laser. So there would be no comparison.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Toby, thanks for clarifying.

There's a few threads on here about Low Level Laser but it wasn't enough for me to get excited about. I thought you meant AALS as it's the LED you've mentioned regularly in past posts.

I'm glad your friend adores her LLL, that's what it's all about, after all. Smile

ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:52 pm      Reply with quote
I think it's very strange that the Philips' rep would say "it's not designed for pigmentation"* and not then give a warning. On the Palovia at-home fractional laser thread there's a few people complaining about pigmentation occurring or worsening after using it for a period of time. Granted, darker skintones are more at risk, but it's still not a good idea.

I'm certain a surgeon wouldn't give a salon laser treatment (obviously much more powerful) to someone with pigmentation, either.

lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
A few weeks ago I e-mailed spacenk (UK) as they carry this laser. www.spacenk.com

I am in Canada, the rep e-mailed they can ship here, but I need to do a consultation by phone first.

I may try this in the new year!! (I do have the palovia, but would love to try this as well, lol!) Very Happy
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
I agree with ljk regarding online product reviews and I only trust the reviews given by EDS members on here....

Also, I strongly believe that we should just stay away from all these laser devices, whether at home or in office ones.. first, I don't think they are " miracle" cures and secondly who knows in 15 years time we would be better off if we had avoided em at the first place... I don't think there is any long term research regarding using lasers for cosmetic purposes....

A while ago, I read on Dr. Pikart's blog, his answer to question regarding lasers, that lasers may damage skin stem cells and in the long term it's bad for the skin..
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:22 am      Reply with quote
At the present time the Philips ReAura is only available to residents of the UK - so the rest of us aren't going to be able to get our hands on it anyway.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:12 am      Reply with quote
I will go into a SpaceNK and have a look at the machine and have a little play and report back. They are only stocking them in the larger stores, I am going to London in about 10 days so will find one to look at.

In my humble opinion, it is more like the original Fraxel salon treatment, where you move the hand- piece over the treatment area whilst the laser is constantly firing columns of light, so you achieve minor disruption to the dermis layer across a larger area, where as the PaloVia is only designed to treatment small block areas around the eye area, obviously avoiding the eye itself. I could write a lot more about the PaloVia, but have to take the dog out for a walk.

PQ.

Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
This thread has been cleaned-up to remove off-topic posts as well as some negative personal back and forth. Please do not post any comments to the moderation itself and continue with the original topic. Thank you.
photoqueen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 am      Reply with quote
photoqueen wrote:
I will go into a SpaceNK and have a look at the machine and have a little play and report back. They are only stocking them in the larger stores, I am going to London in about 10 days so will find one to look at.

In my humble opinion, it is more like the original Fraxel salon treatment, where you move the hand- piece over the treatment area whilst the laser is constantly firing columns of light, so you achieve minor disruption to the dermis layer across a larger area, where as the PaloVia is only designed to treatment small block areas around the eye area, obviously avoiding the eye itself. I could write a lot more about the PaloVia, but have to take the dog out for a walk.

PQ.

I have just spoken to Phillips customer service. I have found a Spacenk that have a device in London, so will pop in next week to check out the device, I don't think I would buy one unless it is majorly different to the PaloVia.

The big thing for me, is the downtime with the Palovia can't be worked into to my normal regime, so tend to use it when I am not working, which is very rare these days.

PQ

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:11 pm      Reply with quote
photoqueen wrote:
photoqueen wrote:

PQ.

I have just spoken to Phillips customer service. I have found a Spacenk that have a device in London, so will pop in next week to check out the device, I don't think I would buy one unless it is majorly different to the PaloVia.

The big thing for me, is the downtime with the Palovia can't be worked into to my normal regime, so tend to use it when I am not working, which is very rare these days.

PQ

I have used my Palovia, in the same way the ReAura works, I used lots of treatment gel and then move the device across my face as it gave a burst of light, and managed to treat all of the cheek area and chin with 25 shots, so I think I can use the PaloVia in a different way, will report back.

PQ.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:58 am      Reply with quote
photoqueen wrote:
photoqueen wrote:
photoqueen wrote:

PQ.

PQ

I have used my Palovia, in the same way the ReAura works, I used lots of treatment gel and then move the device across my face as it gave a burst of light, and managed to treat all of the cheek area and chin with 25 shots, so I think I can use the PaloVia in a different way, will report back.

PQ.

Back to the drawing board, if you slide the Palovia across your face with gel, when you wake up in the morning, it leaves red lines on your face, they of course will fade quickly, but I wouldn't try it! PQ

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
I bit the bullet and purchased this by phone from the UK. It is out of stock at present, should be in next week.

I ordered from spacenk.com (UK).

I am in Canada, it may take up to a month to get here. (shipping not too bad considering, approx. 15 pounds). (considering shipping from BarnysNY to Canada is approx. $80.00!!, lol!! ) Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:45 am      Reply with quote
lipglossdoll wrote:
I bit the bullet and purchased this by phone from the UK. It is out of stock at present, should be in next week.

I ordered from spacenk.com (UK).

I am in Canada, it may take up to a month to get here. (shipping not too bad considering, approx. 15 pounds). (considering shipping from BarnysNY to Canada is approx. $80.00!!, lol!! ) Very Happy

When I enquired they said they were'nt shipping internationally - have they changed their policy?

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have no idea, they are shipping it to Canada though, maybe they only will ship to certain areas? Not sure. I placed my order by phone.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:00 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |