Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Product Review: Alba Botanica Hawaiin Line
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all, I went on a bit of a spending spree this weekend and got myself a bunch of facial cleansers.

One of my purchases was the Alba botanicals Hawiian travel kit. This allowed me to try a variety of their products. The ingredient listings are organic/plant based materials and sound really nice. Here's what's in the travel kit:

[list=]Pineapple Enzyme facial cleanser
Pineapple Enzyme facial scrub
Passionfruit Body Wash
Jasmine & Vitamin E moisturizer
Papaya Mango Body Cream
Green Tea SPF30 Sunscreen[/list]
Also some sample packets of shampoo & more Papaya Mango Cream were included.

Here's what I think so far:

Pineapple Enzyme cleanser
This is a gel that smelled really great and left my face squeaky clean. However my skin did feel a bit taut afterward (I'm oily) Dry skin girls might want to skip this one.

Pineapple Enzyme scrub
Ooooh I really love this one! I know you're not supposed to use scrubs frequently, but I could see using this every day. It felt SO good on my skin. This is a light creamy scrub. The "scrubbies" are rounded and feel very gentle. My skin felt clean and refreshed without the taut sensation I got from the cleanser.

Passionfruit Body Wash
This is yummy smelling, but probably not alot different from other tropical body washes on the market.

Jasmine & Vitamin E Moisturizer
This is a very buttery emollient moisturizer. A little goes a long way. It has a pleasant jasmine scent (and I'm not a jasmine fan). I think it's slightly too rich for my oily complexion, but it would probably be excellent for drier skinned women. I'm eager to try the Aloe & Green Tea moisturizer in this line.

Papaya Mango Body Cream
The texture of this cream is gorgeous - rich creamy and yet somehow fluffy at the same time. Sadly the smell of this stuff is really off-putting. It is a fruity scent, but not a pleasant one - more of a fetid produce going "off" smell. Normally I like mango scented things, but this is awful; and the longer you wear it, the worse it gets. It reminded me of the smell of those durian fruits :-& (if you've ever smelled one of those you'll know how offensive it is!) It was turning my stomache and I had to go scrub it off after a bit. HOWEVER, Alba has another version of this cream with a Kukui nut scent which is supposedly much more pleasant.

Green Tea SPF30 sunscreen
A nice standard sunscreen with a pleasant fresh smell. Good SPF level for fair-skinned ladies.

Over all I'm really enjoying these products and am eager to try the following:

Green Tea & Aloe moisturizer & eye gels
Sugar Cane Body scrub
Kukui Nut Body cream (have read that it's much better than any of the Body Shop's offerings)
Nightshade
5% products discount

Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:02 am      Reply with quote
I recently bought this travel kit as well and so far have only had time to try out the cleanser and facial scrub and totally agree with your review.

My skin has been going through a bit of an oily phase and I find the cleanser very good.

I too can admit to wanting to use the scrub once a day.

Definitely good so far!!! Very Happy
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:50 am      Reply with quote
I love the scrub too!!
lucy2
5% products discount

Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:29 pm      Reply with quote
FYI- the ingredients are more harsh than I originally thought in the cleanser. I emailed the company because I noticed that the ingredients on my second bottle were different from the first one I bought. Apparently there was a misprint on the first round of labels and it didn't include a few fairly significant surfactants. Even though I liked it, I won't repurchase now because of these ingredients.
Nightshade
5% products discount

Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:22 pm      Reply with quote
Shock
What kind of ingrediants???
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:08 pm      Reply with quote
I'd be interested in knowing the ingredients as well, also whether or not they are in the pineapple scrub.

The reason I ask is I noticed quite a difference in how my skin reacted between the two. The cleanser made my face quite taut, but the scrub just made it feel nice and soothed.
lucy2
5% products discount

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:15 pm      Reply with quote
sorry - I didn;t have the bottle handy at the time

- soyamide DEA and sodium myreth sulfate were not originally listed on mine
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:18 pm      Reply with quote
Hmmm Lucy Think

That's interesting... Those ingredients were listed on my cleanser bottle as well, but not on the pineapple scrub bottle.

So maybe that's why the scrub feels nicer on my skin? Not as harsh maybe?

I should also edit to add a bit of an update:

I think the jasmine & vitamin E moisturizer is irritating my skin. Not sure if its the scent or the vitamin E, but I feel a stinging sensation when I apply. Certainly not the sensation you'd want to get from a moisturizer. So far this line has been a bit of a mixed bag for me. Confused

I think I will try some of the products containing aloe & jojoba as they sound more soothing.
moo moo
5% products discount

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
At first I thought that this line is gentle and soothing because of its 'all natrual' apperance but don't let that fool you. I bought the oil free moisturizer with aloe and gree tea extract and it was anything but gentle. In the beginning it didn't sting or give me any rashes but after about 3 weeks of use the skin along my jaw line started to peel and became all red. I am pretty sure that this was causing it..so stay away!!!

moo
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:46 am      Reply with quote
Hmmm... good to know Moo, thanks for the warning. Neutral

I'm glad I just got the sample pack rather than investing in full-sized products. Sometimes it can take several days for reactions to show up on my face, which appears to be the case with this line.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:53 am      Reply with quote
I too am glad of the warning as I have been tempted by this line - I still might have to get a sample pack though - thanks for the reviews Wink
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
My sister uses some products from this line and sent me the travel kit when I was in New Orleans. So far I really like the Pineapple Enzyme Scrub and the Passionfruit Body Wash. The Pineapple Enzyme Cleanser was a little too drying but I haven't tried it since I've been back here. Whenever I travel I end up with dry skin but here the humidity keeps me just right. I mixed some Dr. Hauschka Bronze Concentrate in with the Jasmine & Vitamin E Moisturizer and I've been using that the past few days. It's a nice moisturizer but I doubt I'll buy more of it. I'm pretty sure I have more than a year's supply of moisturizer on hand, plus samples to try.

Overall I think it's a lovely gift. I just ordered 2 travel kits to donate as door prizes for our next Roatan Ladies Luncheon. Proceeds support The Littlest Angels, an organization on the island that helps families with premature babies.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:35 pm      Reply with quote
I had decided to try the cleanser after reading about it in another thread. I liek the fact that the cleanser really makes your skin sqeaky clean since my other products may be a little rich for my skin. So now I am back to getting compliments on my skin.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |