Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
What's a good sunscreen?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
strawberry1
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:31 am      Reply with quote
What's a good sunscreen to use to protect my skin since I will be using products to fade acne scars? I am light brown complexion.
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Hi Strawberry:

I have oily, acne-prone skin and have had great luck with DERMAdoctor Body Guard Exquisitely Light SPF 30 (for Face & Body). It has a very light, non-greasy texture, no pasty white residue. It has UVA/UVB protection (with Parsol 1789), oil-free, paba-free, non-comedeogenic and it also has Green Tea, Chamomile, Calendula and Cucumber in it. It also contains their own patented ingredient which is supposed to help keep the skin from getting oily while wearing it, to keep your skin with a nice matte look. Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:54 am      Reply with quote
There are a few great sunscreens that I use! I feel like I've tried them all since my mom's a Dermatologist and I have, yes, fair skin. I am always trying to stay as protected as possible in these are the ones I've found to be the best:

1. La Roche Posay Anthelios 60. I know, 60 sounds high, but it really does a great job. I used to get burned even wearing SPF, but when I wear that I am fine. It does take a few seconds to settle in so you don't need to use too much. Not too greasy or grainy like some. A little will go a long way.

2. MD FORTE 30. This SPF is SOOOO nice. It's almost like putting on a moisturizer and not a sunscreen. I recommend that one too!
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Please remember that in order to achieve every benefit of your sunscreen (not only its sun protection factor, but to benefit from its active ingredients), make sure to apply a quarter-sized, or teaspoon, amount to the face alone. A shotglass at LEAST is necessary for the entire body.

In other words, say you have an excellent SPF 40 sunscreen - but you only apply half a teaspoon of it to the face. Or worse, you rely on the sunscreen in your foundation (and I don't know anyone who uses even half a teaspoon of foundation, as that is a ton!), please know that you are getting about SPF 10 or so - and that's if you're lucky. So, please apply enough!

DERMAdoctor Body Guard Exquisitely Light SPF 30 does contain Avobenzone ("Parsol 1789"), the only currently FDA-approved chemical active ingredient for sun protection; however, for the price ($25!!), the amount is rather weak at just 1%. If you are looking for Avobenzone, there are many less expensive drugstore options that offer much more of this active chemical ingredient. One of which is Kiss My Face's $8.99 Face Factor Face & Neck SPF 30, which contains 2.5% Avobenzone. Neutrogena's Dry Touch SPF 45 contains 2% Avobenzone at just $8.97.

But if you're looking for MAXIMUM protection, I would opt for a sunscreen that contains physical and chemical active ingredients and a high SPF - such as La Roche-Posay or Ombrelle.

Apply sunscreen properly as mentioned above, along with the (hopefully dermatologist-prescribed) regime you are consistently doing, and your skin will better itself beautifully!
pumpingmummy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
I love Dermalogica's Solar Defense Booster (SPF 30) not just because I use other Dermalogica's prdts, but also because it doesn't leave my face grey and greasy. It has Advanced Avobenzone (Parsol 1789) to shield skin against UVA, UVB and infrared rays.
Grape Seed and Green Tea extracts to provide antioxidant protection and Vitamin E.

I have a question though, if you layer on different SPFs, lets say a sunscreen with SPF 30 and then a foundation with SPF15, how much protection are you really getting? (Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question... )
misskoslow
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:45 pm      Reply with quote
Sheila,
I was just talking about application to the face. Thank you for adding the proper amount necessary for the body!

[
quote="SugarFreeSheila"]Please remember that in order to achieve every benefit of your sunscreen (not only its sun protection factor, but to benefit from its active ingredients), make sure to apply a quarter-sized, or teaspoon, amount to the face alone. A shotglass at LEAST is necessary for the entire body.

In other words, say you have an excellent SPF 40 sunscreen - but you only apply half a teaspoon of it to the face. Or worse, you rely on the sunscreen in your foundation (and I don't know anyone who uses even half a teaspoon of foundation, as that is a ton!), please know that you are getting about SPF 10 or so - and that's if you're lucky. So, please apply enough!

DERMAdoctor Body Guard Exquisitely Light SPF 30 does contain Avobenzone ("Parsol 1789"), the only currently FDA-approved chemical active ingredient for sun protection; however, for the price ($25!!), the amount is rather weak at just 1%. If you are looking for Avobenzone, there are many less expensive drugstore options that offer much more of this active chemical ingredient. One of which is Kiss My Face's $8.99 Face Factor Face & Neck SPF 30, which contains 2.5% Avobenzone. Neutrogena's Dry Touch SPF 45 contains 2% Avobenzone at just $8.97.

But if you're looking for MAXIMUM protection, I would opt for a sunscreen that contains physical and chemical active ingredients and a high SPF - such as La Roche-Posay or Ombrelle.

Apply sunscreen properly as mentioned above, along with the (hopefully dermatologist-prescribed) regime you are consistently doing, and your skin will better itself beautifully![/quote]
BinaryStar
5% products discount

Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:51 pm      Reply with quote
Is SPF 15 enough?
Mabsy

Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:30 am      Reply with quote
I've got normal to combo skin and I really like Skinceuticals Ultimate UV Defense SPF30. You can also get something like Shiseido Anessa which is about SPF50.
koyie
5% products discount

Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:17 am      Reply with quote
I've just started using Skinceuticals Physical UV defense 30 it's been good for my sensitive/dry skin Smile
strawberry1
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for all the responses. Mistypines I have acne prone oily skin too so maybe I should try that one. misskoslow you were very informative I didn't know any of that because I have never worn sunscreen before. I have light brown skin so I didn't think that I needed it. So now that I am trying to get rid of these acne scars I know that I am going to need it.
naturallyhappy31
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:00 am      Reply with quote
My top 3 are:
Skinceuticals
Yonka
Babor

All SPF 30 for normal skin. They all apply and feel great!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Sorry to detract from the all round enthusiasm for Skinceuticals UV Defense SPF30, but it's just about one thing I've bought down to recommendations on EDS that I'm not very pleased with.

I find my complexion is a nice healthy golden colour at the moment and then I have to put on the sunscreen and the colour of my skin does actually appear different. I thought it was supposed to be completely invisible, but I look a bit pinky/grey/palid after application.

Maybe I'm just a weird colour. I often think so. Still can't find a Jane Iredale base to suit me either.

Protection works great mind you. Can't complain about that. My hyperpigmentation is slowly fading.

M
esq
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:15 pm      Reply with quote
I have oily acne prone skin and I use Peter Thomas Roth All Day Moisture Defense Lotion SPF30 and I put my makeup on over it. I love it.

It has all the fabulous things that you want in a moistruizer, high spf, varying antioxidants, with Vitamin E. Good Stuff. Very Happy
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:33 am      Reply with quote
One problem with Avobenzone - it is photounstable unless stablised with another agent like Octocrylene.

I would definitely recommend La Roche Posay's Anthelios sunscreens. Photostable and covers to the UVA spectrum.
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
2nd Bad Bird's rec for LRP Anthelios.

Avobenzone is not stablized on its own so you still need to reapply every 2 hours or so.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
I need to see the sun first over here before I even think of using a sunscreen Laughing
Hey what do you fellow brits use out of interest???
queenkatez
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I recommend -Skinceuticals SPF 20 Daily Sunblock and SPF 30 Ultimate Defense.
Both products are quickly absorbed and leave no greasy after effect. Perfect for acne-prone skin.

Thanks,
Katie
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Rosebud,

You don't need to see the sun to get the sun's "benefits". Cloud cover does not filter UV rays, and UVA rays, responsible for photoaging, are pretty constant throughout the year. You would do well to wear sunscreen.
nelly.4
5% products discount

Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
I absolutely love Kosmea's 30+ Face Lotion. Its so light and contains Rose Hip Oil and Green Tea extracts for antioxidants.
Mabsy

Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:11 am      Reply with quote
nelly.4 wrote:
I absolutely love Kosmea's 30+ Face Lotion. Its so light and contains Rose Hip Oil and Green Tea extracts for antioxidants.

I love this stuff as well!
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:45 am      Reply with quote
Kosmea 30+? Could you tell me more about it? I'm always on the lookout for that perfect sunscreen. What are the sunscreen actives?
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:45 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
I need to see the sun first over here before I even think of using a sunscreen Laughing
Hey what do you fellow brits use out of interest???

<whispers> I just rely on the SPF in my BE foundation cos of the no sun situation round here. But don't don't tell anyone otherwise they'll all shout at me again. Embarassed
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Yeah!! I'll be the first to shout!!! Laughing
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:19 am      Reply with quote
I'm not at all suprised Bad Bird! Laughing Wink
Mabsy

Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:12 am      Reply with quote
Bad Bird wrote:
Kosmea 30+? Could you tell me more about it? I'm always on the lookout for that perfect sunscreen. What are the sunscreen actives?

It's actually a moisturising lotion with an SPF of 30+ in it. I finished off my bottle so I don't have the list of ingredients anymore, sorry. It also looks like it's only available in Australia http://www.kosmea.com.au/t_products.php?id=7745
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:37 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |