Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

what do you know about SK-II
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
GlobeTrot

Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:43 am      Reply with quote
Just moved to year round hot humid island near the Equator. Desparately in need of new skincare products.

Anyway, I have sensitive skin with very dry patches below my cheekes and an oily T-zone. Not prone to breakouts but have immediate reaction to things my skin does not tolerate. The skincare products I used in the UK seem to dry out the dry patches more and increase the skine in the t-zone. I need to go in and out of airconditioning (cool and drying)and the outside (95% humidity and constant sweating)

Considering switch to SK-II is the rage here. However, I am very inclined to consider brands that use more closer to nature products.

Does anyone know whether the SK-II skincare products are any good. Most users are chinese/japanese and they love it because it gives them translucent/bouncy skins. I however am indian.

I tried SK-II samples and find that my skin is feels tight all the time. It is not unpleasant but I am not sure it is not pleasant either. It feels tight and not natural. The samples lasted a week but they would not give me a moisturiser instead said I should you their "Facial Essence"as a moisture booster with existing moisturiser (Aveda).
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:17 am      Reply with quote
Hi GlobeTrot,

Are you in Singapore? Wink

Actually if your skin is sensitized, you might want to consider using skincare without natural (botanical) ingredients - a lot of these are potential irritants.

I've not used SKII myself but I know it is very popular in Singapore. The products seem to me to be targeted at oriental skins so you may be right in that it is not very suitable for you.

If you're looking to try more "natural" products, then you may want to consider Clarins, or Decleor. There's another brand called Fancl which is very very good for sensitive skin.

Hope that helps. Smile
celeste
5% products discount

Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:32 am      Reply with quote
I have tried SK-II before, I wasnt impressed with the skin care line. I have used some serums and masks. I liked the make up though, especially the powder and liquid foundation.
GlobeTrot

Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Bad Bird, so what gave my location away? Prevalance of humidity and constant aircon?

I going to spend some time at the Clarins counter this week and give them a try. Hopefully I will feel better.
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:48 am      Reply with quote
Hehe ... Laughing I put it down to knowing Singapore well?

If you're going to try Clarins, go to the counter in Takashimaya. I know the lady there quite well from having used a lot of Clarins at one time - she's actually a supervisor so her knowledge of the products are really sound.

Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't recall her name now. hmm
kriss

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:40 am      Reply with quote
I have been using SKII product since 2 years ago and I'm quite happy with the result, no more oily skin and less pimples. But recently I received an email on the side effect of cosmetic product with yeast extract, which worry me a lot. It says product with yeast will eventually erode the surface skin and expose the real skin layer which is why SKII can give an effect of radiant skin (our real skin is tender and delicate). Prolong use of such product will make our skin weak and if stop using, will have very bad effect like yellowish skin, peeling and wrinkles. The email report even say this is why USA don't approved SKII product. Anyone knows if this is true? I'm not sure to continue using or change brand.
daisylondon
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:10 pm      Reply with quote
Ooh SKII that takes me back to when they got loads of coverage in Vogue (all that stuff about the monks' hands) and opened their Selfridges counter. Tried it on their amazingly well priced intro pack. Really liked the cleansing system but had the same issues re moisturisers. Then I thought about the waste of the cleansing cloths so gave it up. I think it did give me clear skin though.
Sorry if that doesnt' help much!
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:19 pm      Reply with quote
kriss wrote:
I have been using SKII product since 2 years ago and I'm quite happy with the result, no more oily skin and less pimples. But recently I received an email on the side effect of cosmetic product with yeast extract, which worry me a lot. It says product with yeast will eventually erode the surface skin and expose the real skin layer which is why SKII can give an effect of radiant skin (our real skin is tender and delicate). Prolong use of such product will make our skin weak and if stop using, will have very bad effect like yellowish skin, peeling and wrinkles. The email report even say this is why USA don't approved SKII product. Anyone knows if this is true? I'm not sure to continue using or change brand.

First let me welcome you to the forum. Smile

What SKII product are you using that is not available in the US? What is the specific yeast extract that they said was causing problems? What is the source of the information in the email you received? A company? A retailer? I know you can't post links but if this warning is available on the internet please let me know where to look. TIA
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
Bad Bird wrote:
Hehe ... Laughing I put it down to knowing Singapore well?

If you're going to try Clarins, go to the counter in Takashimaya. I know the lady there quite well from having used a lot of Clarins at one time - she's actually a supervisor so her knowledge of the products are really sound.

Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't recall her name now. hmm

If you're going to try Clarins feel free to PM me. Me and my mom have probably tried every single product from their skincare line possible. My mom has sensitive skin and she gets a reaction from quite a few of Clarins' products so always get a sample first. They do have fragrance in them and even if they are 'deemed' to be natural they are not as natural as they seem.
MTRLB
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:40 pm      Reply with quote
SK II is really good.
it contains a high concentrated amount of Pitera.

Pitera helps to increase ur cell metabolism and thus, increase cell rewenal. Hydration is also one of the great benefits for using it.

However, i must advice that, due to its high concentration of Pitera(more than 95% i think),
your skin becomes heavily dependent on it, thats why it works for almost anyone.

But if u stop using it, everything comes back to normal, skin craves more of the Pitera and thus it'll either breakout or secrete more oil, sending a signal to you that it desires Pitera.
As a result, SK II's sales is always sustainable, if not, increasing.

However, if you really wants to slower down those risks, before you discover your essense is running out, slower reduce the amount used until you only used around 3 - 4 drops.
The point is to prevent your skin to be dependent on the Pitera.
Wawa
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
I would proceed with caution on SKII. From what I read on various forums, it seems their products contain farily strong exfoliant, so it could results sensitive skins in some case.
hopemelody
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
the opition seems to be vert divded over SK-II. try some of the star products first. I don't think it is neccessary to go for the whole line.
kriss

Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:13 am      Reply with quote
TheresaL wrote:

First let me welcome you to the forum. Smile

What SKII product are you using that is not available in the US? What is the specific yeast extract that they said was causing problems? What is the source of the information in the email you received? A company? A retailer? I know you can't post links but if this warning is available on the internet please let me know where to look. TIA

Hi Theresa,
I still have the email but it's in chinese,if u interested to read, u can give me your email.

I'm using most of the product from SKII: SKII cleanser, clear lotion, essense, clear solution and refining cream. I think I will reduce the product. Now I'm caution on product having yeast extract like most Japan and korean product, but i'm not sure if what the email say is true, but it worried me and my friends too.
Anyone use Biotherm Product before?
Ocha
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:55 pm      Reply with quote
GlobeTrot wrote:
Just moved to year round hot humid island near the Equator. Desparately in need of new skincare products.

Anyway, I have sensitive skin with very dry patches below my cheekes and an oily T-zone. Not prone to breakouts but have immediate reaction to things my skin does not tolerate. The skincare products I used in the UK seem to dry out the dry patches more and increase the skine in the t-zone. I need to go in and out of airconditioning (cool and drying)and the outside (95% humidity and constant sweating)

Considering switch to SK-II is the rage here. However, I am very inclined to consider brands that use more closer to nature products.

Does anyone know whether the SK-II skincare products are any good. Most users are chinese/japanese and they love it because it gives them translucent/bouncy skins. I however am indian.

I tried SK-II samples and find that my skin is feels tight all the time. It is not unpleasant but I am not sure it is not pleasant either. It feels tight and not natural. The samples lasted a week but they would not give me a moisturiser instead said I should you their "Facial Essence"as a moisture booster with existing moisturiser (Aveda).

Hi GlobeTrot,

I'm on and off using SKII since 8 years ago. I love the Facial Treatment Essence and the masks...which I always can get remarkable result just in one week. However, like what kriss said, I also received an email that mentioning the negative impacts of using SKII. My advice is: get something natural...how about Jurlique, PSF or Juicy Beauty?

how long have you been moved? I remembered that my skin became very dry right after I moved from Hong Kong to Vancouver. It took time for my skin to adapt to the climate. IMO, you'd better get something less expensive or smaller in size during the transitional period.
bb2000
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:40 am      Reply with quote
Oh yea, I've heard about the negative comment regarding SKII but I have no time to search on the web.

Eventually I can find it out here. Thanks.
TheresaL
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:32 am      Reply with quote
kriss wrote:

Hi Theresa,
I still have the email but it's in chinese,if u interested to read, u can give me your email.

Unfortunatly I don't know chinese. I had seen ingredient lists for some of the SKII products and they did not seem bad to me. If I decide to use them I will have to do more research though to make sure they are safe!
jellytot
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
BEWARE!!

my flight stewardess friends jumped on the SKII wagon and soon developed clogged pores all over the face..prob not suitable for young skin and humid weather..

also my mom has been using the essence for her dark spots and she says it is so-so..
MACrisis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:56 pm      Reply with quote
Kriss:

Did the e-mail you received metioned that SK-II will make your skin thinner and ..........That's why no DFS sells it and US is not selling it? If we received the same e-mail then, Hong Kong airport DFS sells SK-II since last year and NM in US began to sell it 1 or 2 years ago.

I'm not a regular SK-II user, only masks and some samples. But at least these 2 claims in the e-mail were wrong. I'm not defending for SK-II, just want to point out what I know.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:33 am      Reply with quote
Chinese News:

7 SK II products contained heavy metal (tested in China). I did not have the completed list but I know one of their sheet masks is one of them.

All stores in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan where sells SK II removed all those 7 products from the shelf.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
yeah there's just news in asia about SKII..lots of ppl in china brought their products back for refund
and probably the same applies to some areas in asia as well..ppl panic with news like that!
amaska
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
Negative news about SKII is all over the news in Hong Kong and China these last couple of days. Mainland China has declared SKII products unsafe due to trace amounts of chromium and neodymium found in SKII products.

The following is taken from a Hong Kong newspaper..

"Cosmetics brand SK-II agreed at the weekend to give (China) mainland customers refunds for nine facial products that regulators say contain banned chemicals.

In Hong Kong, the company said it was possible its products contained trace amounts of chromium and neodymium.

But if they did, it was because the chemicals were widely found in nature, it said.

In advertisements taken out in major Chinese-language newspapers yesterday, SK-II said trace amounts of the substances were allowed under both European Union directives and guidelines by the US-based Cosmetics, Toiletry and Fragrance Association.

Last week, the General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine said its Guangdong branch had found chromium and neodymium in nine SK-II products imported from Japan. The administration said the two types of chemicals could cause skin diseases and even lung and liver damage if inhaled.

SK-II is owned by Procter and Gamble and, as one of the most expensive and well-known cosmetics brands available on the mainland, the allegations have attracted much media attention."

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
What do chromium and neodymium do in skin care products?

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:48 pm      Reply with quote
I used to stick to SK II. However, some negative news about SK II in mainland china. It is officially claimed that part of their products contain certain not-good ingredients. Anyway, I won't use it any more

Age 27. Combination. Dry for winter and oil for summer. Acne prone. Uneven tone.Aging, worry about losing firmness.-------------------------I believe in that there is nobody else having worse skin than me. I keep looking for products can give me smooth, acne free yet soothing, firm, and radiant look.
Tigercat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
I also once used SKII products much but found it's not effective and thus overpriced (at least to me)! Now, the news is spreading and even makes me doubt about its quality in terms of $$ spend.
Tigercat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:52 pm      Reply with quote
I also once used SKII products much but found it's not effective and thus overpriced (at least to me)! Now, the news is spreading and even makes me doubt about its quality in terms of $$ spend.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:01 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |