Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
As requested, I am starting a thread in which members can post their do-it-yourself skincare recipes. This way all the recipes will be in one place rather than distributed all over the skincare and product reviews forums.

Edited on 11th June 2005, to add:

Please note that the same warnings apply to these DIY recipies as to other products. If you are allergic to any of the ingredients then you should NOT be attempting to make/use the product. It also goes without saying that you may have different results from other people.

Edited 16 April 2009 to add updated: Direct index to recipes in this discussion thread and elsewhere on the forum
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Homemade Vitamin C Serum:

• 1/4 teaspoon of Lysorbic Acid (Vit-C) powder or crysals
• 5 ml distilled water
• 5 ml of propylene glycol (glycerin can be used instead, but I'd only recommend it for those with dry skin!)
• small amber or dark blue glass bottle

Put all of the ingredients in the little blue or amber bottle (need to wash it out thoroughly each time before mixing a new batch), replace cap/lid, and shake vigorously then let sit for a couple of hours, coming back to shake the bottle again every hour or so because it can take a little while for the Vit-C to solubulize.

If you really want to make your Vit-C serum with glycerin, you can usually find small bottles of it in the first-aid section of most pharmacies or supermarkets. Personally, I prefer using the propylene glycol – the consistency of my serum turned out even *better* than the CSRx version!!! When I made the serum using glycerin instead of PG, I found it to be too “greasy” for my liking (remember, I have hyper-oily skin!) and it caused me to have to blot my face even more often than usual, but this new batch has left me having to blot LESS often that usual, so I definitely think I’ve got a winner here!!

FYI - I ordered my propylene glycol from this website: http://www.thepersonalformulator.com/ and this is the link to the brand of Vit-C crystals that I bought at my local Whole Foods: http://amos.shop.com/cc.amos?main=catalog&prd=18010344&_x_=SouthNatural-NUTRICOLOGY-PURE-VITAMIN-C-ASCORBIC-POWDER-120-GM&ccsyn=260&pcd=11927518&ccsid=372971285-18619&_ccn_test=1.

Please note: You have to be careful when buying Vit-C though, because there's a 100 different types: unbuffered, Vit-C crystals with additional additives, Vit-C crystals that are sugared and flavored that you mix with water into a drink...basically you just need to read the label to be sure it's 100% pure lysorbic acid with no additional ingredients. They also have the Vit-C in powdered form, but apparently the crystals are more "soluable."
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Homemade Hints for Hair Care:

Itchy/flaky scalp: Add 25 drops of 100% pure Tea Tree Oil and 15 drops of Peppermint essential oil and 5 drops of Rosemary essential oil to a bottle of your fave shampoo and shake well to make a homemade version of Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Special Shampoo at a fraction of the cost. You can also add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, which helps kill the yeast that causes some forms of dandruff.

To remove styling product buildup: you can create your own clarifying shampoo by adding a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice (this will also help enhance any blond highlights in your hair!) to any bottle of shampoo. The result: super-shiny, squeaky clean hair with no more product buildup! Note: you can also add the ACV or lemon juice to your fave conditioner, as well.

To prevent hair color from fading: you can create your own "color-safe" shampoo and/or conditioner by adding a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to any bottle of shampoo or conditioner to prevent your expensive, salon-color from fading too fast (especially hair that is dyed red!). It prevents hair dye from fading because hair dyes are alkaline and the ACV is acidic, so it helps seal the cuticle by normalizing the PH balance of your hair!

And if you're hesitant to try adding ACV to your shampoo or conditioner because you worry about the smell, I promise that your hair is *not* going to smell like a salad -- you can actually hardly smell the ACV in your shampoo because it's usually masked the the fragrance in most typical shampoos, and even then, once you rinse the shampoo from your hair, the smell is gone anyway.

To add body & shine: Mix a tablespoon (may need more for longer hair) of your fave deep conditioner with an equal amount of pure honey (scoop out the amount of conditioner you need, then add a squeeze of honey and rub it between your palms to "emulsify" it) and apply it evenly to your hair, and leave in for the desired amount of time, then rinse with cool or lukewarm water and style as usual. Honey is a natural moisturizer and humectant, so when it's mixed with a deep conditioner, somehow it makes it even more effective and nourishing for your hair, and it also helps impart an incredible glossy shine (even before I apply my beloved Aveda Brilliant Universial Styling Creme!) and during styling, somehow it pumps up the hair shaft to give you incredible volume and body....

Deep Conditioning Treatment: Mix a couple tablespoons of olive oil (for super-long hair, you might need as much as a 1/4 cup) with an equal amount of honey and work it through your hair. Put on your "moist heat" cap or the shower cap/heated towel trick and leave it on for at least 60 minutes (over night is even better!) then wash the mixture out of your hair with a gentle shampoo.

Prevent Oily Hair and Scalp: Add 30 drops of Clary Sage oil to your fave bottle of shampoo and/or conditioner to help control the production of sebum (oil), and to help fight dandruff.

Promote Hair Growth: Add 30 drops of Rosemary essential oil to your fave bottle of shampoo and/or conditioner to help stimulate the scalp, promote hair growth and/or help fight dandruff or seborrhea.
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Homemade DETOX Ocean Bath for imperfections on your body.

what you need :
Non-iodized natural sea salt
Essential oil (not a must)

Get some pure "sea salt", you can find them in any supermarket or natural food stores, get the non-iodized one, which means it's made from vaporized sea water, nothing added. I got one of those paper cylindrical box 26oz for $1-2. Pour HALF of the it into your tub of warm-to-hot water, not too hot, so you can stay in longer. Half the box of salt may sound too much, but I lick my wet hand, they are not even as salty as ocean water. I usually add my own essential oil, lemon for cleansing and Juniper Berry for draining my lymphatic system, but they are not a must for this problem.

Soak for about 30 mins, I can't promise you all the bumps will be gone immediately, but you should be able to FEEL the difference. For me, either they are gone or they are significantly flatten immediately after one sea salt bath.

I guess this lighter version of ocean water minus all the pollution, either detox, decongest or re-mineralize my skin, whatever it was, it took away ALL the imperfections on my body after 3 baths, it even took care of the annoying tiny flesh bump on my neck (told by my friend it was due to hormonal change and many people have it).

**Dry brushing is not recommended before this ocean bath and don't do this if you have OPEN WOUNDS, it might burn.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:55 am      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
What is the difference in the Ylang Ylang essential oils? The Personal Formulator sells the oil for significantly cheaper than the site listed above but it is probably not the #1 from only certain parts? How much of a difference does this make?
There’s probably not any difference – as I said, you can find huge price variations on the different sites that sell essential oils. If you’re only interested in buying one or two oils, then buy it from whomever has the best price on those oils that you’re interested in! But if you’re wanting to buy almost an entire collection of all the oils, then thewww.aroma-pure.com appears to have the best price for “bulk” buying. But I have bought from “The Personal Formulator” before and they’re stuff is extremely high quality...although they charge an arm and a leg ($8 minimum!) for shipping, so unless you’re going to buy a bunch of other stuff from them, it may not be worth it....

Just my humble opinion!
Carrie
Bluerain
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
I found this here...http://www.recipegoldmine.com/beautyskin/skin1.html

Natural Skin Care Aids and What They Do

Arrowroot Dries up blemishes

Avocado Moisturizes

Barley Anti-blemish; refines pores; retards wrinkles

Beet Moisturizes

Benzoin, Tincture of Natural preservative for creams, lotions; chapped skin

Bicarbonate of Soda Water softener

Borax Skin softener; cleanser; bleach; emulsifier when mixed with other ingredients

Bran Tightens large pores; combats dryness

Carrot Sloughs; moisturizes

Castor Oil Relieves itching; fades brown spots; eyelash treatment

Chamomile Tones all types of complexions

Cocoa Butter Cleanser; dry skin moisturizer

Corn Syrup Humectant - holds moisture to skin

Cornmeal Refines pores

Cornstarch Natural thickener for creams, lotions, masks; body powder

Cucumber Reduces under-eye puffiness; reduces wrinkles

Dandelion Moistens dry skin

Egg Conditions; whites best for normal and oily skin; yolks for dry to normal skin

Egg White Adds silkiness and tightens

Elderberry Blossom Moistens dry skin

Epsom Salt Anti-blemish

Fennel Combats wrinkles

Fuchsia Soothes
Gelatin Thickener for facial masks

Glycerine Moisturizer; softener; emollient

Grapefruit Tightens large pores

Herbs Baths; facial steams; creams; lotions

Hollyhock Dried petals provide emollient action; moistens dry skin

Honey Refines pores; tightens skin; moisturizes; retards wrinkles;
anti-blemish

Lanolin Moisturizer; softener; emollient

Lard Moisturizer; softener; emollient

Lavender Soothes

Lavender Water Softens; smoothes

Lettuce Conditioner

Lime Acid; astringent

Marigold Dehydrates - can help reduce excess body fluids

Marjoram Eases tension

Mayonnaise Cleans; moisturizes

Milk (including whole, skim, buttermilk, cream, sour cream) Refines
pores; soothes all skin types; cools sunburn

Mint Stimulates

Mud (including clay, fuller's earth) Large pores; oily skin; wrinkles

Nuts (almonds, cashews, pecans): Scrub to refine pores, combat wrinkles, blackheads and dryness

Oatmeal Soothes, heals, relieves itching

Oils Dry skin: almond, olive, peanut

Oily skin: corn, safflower, sunflower, sesame

Any skin type: avocado, coconut, wheat germ

Okra Dried leaves provide emollient action

Orange Water Softens; smoothes

Pansy Soothes

Papaya Tenderizes; removes dead surface cells

Pineapple Cleans; tones

Plum Anti-blemish

Potato Reduces under-eye puffiness

Rolled Oats Softens skin

Rose Has an astringent effect on oily skin

Rose Water Softens; smoothes

Rosemary Muscle stimulant; tightens skin

Sage Tones oily skin

Salt Invigorates

Strawberry Tones oily skin; anti-blemish

Tapioca Tightens skin; refines pores; aids sunburn and windburn;

demulcent - soothing to inflamed skin

Tea Soothes sunburn; reduces eye puffiness; revs circulation

Thyme Invigorates

Tomato Unclogs pores

Turnip Reduces redness and blotchiness

Vinegar Refines pores; cleans; softens; aids blemishes, itchy skin, and sunburn

Wheat Germ Refines pores

Whole Wheat Flour Thickener for facials

Witch Hazel Reduces eye puffiness; deodorant

Yeast Used in masks for oily or blemished skin

Yogurt Cleanser; bleach; for normal and oily skin

Here are some simple home recipes http://www.recipegoldmine.com/beautyskin/skin.html

Blue[/url]
MystyPines
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:27 am      Reply with quote
Here is a list of some of the suppliers I use. I thought it would be helpful for those looking to make their own recipes:

SUPPLIERS FOR SKINCARE INGREDIENTS

The Chemistry Store:
(Misc. Ingred., Chemicals)
http://www.chemistrystore.com/soaplinks.htm

Snow Drift Farm:
(Misc. Ingred.)
http://www.snowdriftfarm.com/

LotionCrafters:
(Lotion Making Supplies)
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/store/home.php

Garden of Wisdom:
(Mango Butter, herbs, clays)
http://www.gardenofwisdom.com/

To Die For Supplies:
(Misc. Ingred., Chemicals)
http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/category.php?category_id=77

Olive Tree Soaps:
(Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter-Cheap)
http://olivetreesoaps.com/

Agbanga Karite:
(Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter-the Best!)
http://www.agbangakarite.com/

WholesaleSuppliesPlus:
(Misc. Ingred., Skincare Containers)
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Group.aspx?Tab=1&GroupTab=1&CatalogID=2&GroupID=11&GroupTitle=Additives

BrambleBerry:
(Fragrance Oils-skincare)
http://www.brambleberry.com/

SweetCakes:
http://www.sweetcakes.com/

The Scent Works
http://store.scent-works.com/fragrances1.html

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:22 am      Reply with quote
I am tired of serums that only address one problem at a time and of having too many products. I wanted one serum that could be used day and evening, as an eye cream and would firm my skin, fade age spots, control my oily t-zone without drying the rest of my skin and help heal thread veins. Impossible you say??? Here it is:

One Stop Super Serum
1 tsp liquid kelp
1/4 tsp each dmae, glucosamine, niacinamide, horse chestnut, and allantoin
1 desertspoon aloe vera gel
1/4 tsp emu oil
5 drops vitamin k
a pinch of lecithin granules

Add powder actives and liquid kelp to a dropper bottle, cap and shake well. Then add everything else, cap and shake well again. It will take a while for everything to dissolve and emulsify, so over the next couple of hours give it a shake every now and then, leave overnight and you have the one stop super serum. Shake well before each use as there will be some separation.

Here is the reason for each ingredient:

Allantoin - healing and calming
Sea kelp - nutrients and moisture
Niacinamide - fade age spots in conjunction with glucosamine, plus help oily t-zone
Glucosamine - as above
DMAE - firming
Vitamin K - to heal thread veins
Horse chestnut - also for thread veins
Lecithin - helps protect the skins natural lipid barrier and according to some sources will help other actives penetrate better
Aloe vera gel - healing and moisture
Emu oil - anti inflammatory and easily absorbed

After one week of using this I have noticed that it firms as well as other dmae products I have used, my skin is less red and blotchy, smaller thread veins are slightly less noticable although there has been no change in a couple of larger ones, the t-zone is less oily and there has been some lightening of age spots, particularly on my forearms. Also sole sunspot (the size of a large freckle) on my right forearm is softer and less raised.

Has it replaced my eye cream? Yes. Now my skin routine simply consists of the serum followed by sunscreen for the daytime and a little extra emu oil over the top of it at night.

The powder actives came from Bulk Actives, the vitamin A from Garden of Wisdom, the liquid kelp is an Australian brand called Natra Kelp which is sold as an animal feed supplement and was bought online. Everything else from the supermarket.

The next batch will contain three more actives:

Beta glucan - immune stimulant
Pine bark powder - super antioxidant
MSM - healing and skin elasticity

For people who think this is too much for one serum, the actives could be split into a day and night serum. Suggestion for daytime serum would be dmae, pine bark, beta glucan and msm with the other actives in the night serum.

Other changes could be distilled water or rosewater instead of liquid kelp, any oil that works for your skin instead of the emu oil, or hyalauronic acid instead of oil. I personally think that it would not replace the eye cream without the addition of an oil but this will depend on skin type.

As a final word, I tried using glycerin in this serum as my skin loves glycerin, but found it made the serum too sticky.

I am 43 with pretty decent skin apart from an oily t-zone, tendency to under eye puffiness, broken thread veins which I have had since my teens and some light age spots. Information on my skin condition is given to help others determine whether this serum would be any good for their skin.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Archi, if you do a search on EDS, you will find some interesting reading regarding propylene glycol. I personally use it occasionally and you have to read between the lines with the "oh, the end of the world is coming" web sites like you found. Do this on Google:

In the search bar, enter: propylene glycol site:www.essentialdayspa.com/forum

You will find a lot of discussion regarding this that should clear things up. In fact, do this when searching EDS for any other subject matter and it will find a great deal for you to peruse (including what DMAE is and how it is used, for example). It is not a moisturizer but an active that helps with tightening certain areas (such as under jawline, upper lids). For general DIY, I would recommend really reading a lot so that you can understand what things might do or not do and especially how they potentially can react with your skin. This is particularly important in the DIY arena as there are A LOT of actives you can play with and all or many can cause personal irritation (possibly). That is why it's good to know what you might be getting into before jumping in head first.

For the recipes you noted, they most likely do not need refrigeration IF made in small batches. That is due to there being no preservatives (usually). Vitamin E added will assist as do other manufactured ones (Germaben II and Optiphen come to mind). I have a mini-fridge that I keep under my sink in the bathroom and I store my DIY conconctions even though I do add preservatives. It's a convenient beauty must-have for me as I originally stored my Vitamin C there (along with eye creams, etc.). However, I now use the Triple C from Candessence and I do not keep it refrigerated because I use it up fairly quickly and it has other antioxidants besides ascorbic acid, which specifically, does need refrigeration.

Anyway, mind boggled yet? I just wanted you to see that DIY is a wide world and you should delve deeper in order to avoid disappointment.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:37 am      Reply with quote
Two things, real quick. This is a little late for folks in the northern hemisphere, but maybe our friends in the south will find this useful:

Numerous research studies have shown that Catnip essential oil is 10X more effective than Deet in repelling mosquitoes and other bothersome flying insects. Even though it’s officially fall, the temps in TX have still been in the 90s F and the skeeters are still biting so I ordered some Catnip EO from a wholesaler on Ebay and I have to agree with the researchers that the mosquitoes (and bees/wasps!) heartily dislike Catnip oil so if you’re looking for some relief, I recommend you try it. I posted a recipe for homemade insect repellant further up in this thread and I wish I could update it to include Catnip in the list of EOs to use.

The other thing I want to tell you all about is actually quite timely considering that the major news agencies have been buzzing about the dangers of antibiotic-resistant MRSA staph infection epidemics in hospitals and schools across the country, and I’ve seen that this is also a concern in Europe so I wanted to get the word out on how to protect yourself ASAP.

My mom has actually had a sore on her face that her dermatologist diagnosed as being a staph infection -- she got it around the same time as my grandmother passed away last March so I’m thinking my mom was exposed to staph while she was visiting with my grandmother in the hospital or nursing home because my mom has a compromised immune system and picks up all kinds of germs and is constantly fighting one type of infection or another.

Anyway, the derm prescribed a course of antibiotics for my mom that she’s been taking for the past five months. The Tetracycline wasn’t killing the infection, but the staph sore on my mom’s face hadn’t gotten any worse or spread so I guess the antibiotic was sorta maintaining the status quo. The sore was hideous looking and she couldn't cover it up with makeup so it was really obvious when you looked at her. I even started teasing her about it when, each morning, I'd ask "How's your leporosy today?" Embarassed I never got any better, but it never got any worse, either.

That is, until last Thursday when the staph sore on my mom’s face abruptly got worse: it was red, swollen, oozing and appeared to be “decaying” and just looked really scary and I was afraid it might actually be MRSA because her dermatologist never actually screened her to determine which strain of staph infection she actually had.

I immediately got online and started researching EOs that are known to treat staph infections so that I could make her a synergy-blend to use since the prescription meds obviously were not working. I discovered that a mix of Lemon Eucalyptus EO, Kunzea EO, Manuka EO, White Thyme EO, and Nerolina Australia EO had been shown to be effective in fighting/killing antibiotic-resistant staph infections, as well as the E-Coli bacteria.

I also found out that several unofficial studies had found out that a mixture of Lavender EO and Tea Tree EO killed 100% of the MRSA staph infection that hospitals are struggling to treat and control at the moment. The results of this research is so promising that currently there are numerous trials being conducted by universities and other medical research staff. If you google “MRSA staff” and “essential oil” you’ll find links to several abstracts discussing these successes.

So after I concluded my research on Friday, I created a synergy-blend for my mom to treat the staph sore on her face using the five EOs listed above, as well as French+Aussie+40/42 Lavender (those are three different varities -- I didn't want to take any chances!) plus Tea Tree diluted in a carrier oil (I chose Neem).

I told my mom to apply the oil blend to the staph sore every two hours for the next few days to see if there was any improvement.

This was on Friday morning, and my mom was afraid she wouldn’t be able to go to church on Sunday and then to the church social afterwards because the sore on her face was so horrible-looking and was probably contagious, but by Sunday morning the staph sore had improved so dramatically it’s almost like it was never there!

She spent MONTHS taking doctor-prescribed antibiotics that did absolutely nothing, but after using the EO-blend for a day and a half, it was almost completely cured.

Now I don’t know for certain that the strain of staph that my mom had was MRSA, but I wanted to share the info about Lavender + Tea Tree oil treatment for any EDS members that work in the medical field or spend a lot of time at schools or other crowded places where infections could be easily passed from one to another.

My suggestion for those members would be to add a few drops of Lavender + Tea Tree oils to your regular antibacterial hand-soap, body wash, hand sanitizer, etc. To prevent inhalation of the MRSA germs, I’d also suggest buying or making a saline solution nasal spray (½ cup boiling hot distilled water, ¼ tsp non-iodized salt, ¼ baking soda mixed together; let cool then pour into an empty nasal spray container and let cool), then adding 1 drop Lavender EO and 1 drop Tea Tree oil to the saline nose drops. Then use the resulting nasal wash to irrigate your nose at last twice per day.

If you’d like more info about MRSA and Lavender + Tea Tree oil, click on this link: http://www.naturesgift.com/aromatherapymassage.htm#MRSA

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:13 am      Reply with quote
sherryf13500 wrote:
what would you recommend disolving the vit. c in? Can you do a mixture of dist. water and glycerine?

Yes. Here's a nice one, but keep in the fridge.

Simple C Serum – 10%

1/4 teaspoon vit C
1/4 teaspoon glycerin
1 + 1/2 teaspoons distilled water

Dissolve the C in the water, then add the glycerin.
daydreamingda
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:35 am      Reply with quote
Thyckecutie wrote:

I want to make Vit C. I found the powder on ebay but cant find the crystals. Can you purchase this online? Also can you double or triple the ingredients to make a bigger batch? I wanted to use this more for my stomach/thighs

Hi Thyckecutie,

you can buy the Vit C powder from a few websites mentioned here before:
bulkactives.com
gardenofwisdom.com
skinactives.com

I got mine from bulkactives and have no problem dissolving it in water.

you can definitely make a bigger batch using the same formula/ proportion. BUT pls note that the serum gets oxidized easily. so make sure u will use it up quickly!

have fun!! Smile

daydream
batwhirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Here's another solution for dyi vitamin c serums...because one of the issues with vitamin c serums is oxidation due to exposure to air I purchased airless pumps from makingcosmetics.com. They have .5 ounce containers for $3.20 and 1.7 ounce bottles for $3.90. My understanding is that they are reusable also...
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:57 am      Reply with quote
bciw wrote:
I can't find the post(s) that calls for the oil soluble vit c recipe. I dont have the time to go thru the whole thread If its not within the first 2 pages. could someone care to tell me which pags? TIA

I'm not quite sure what you mean by oil soluble vit c recipe - but you can purchase oil soluble vit c from Bulkactives - its called Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate. You can mix it with a carrier oil - I use Pomegranate, but you can use any oil you like.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:13 am      Reply with quote
deegadoo wrote:
Does anyone have any recipes that don't contain toxic ingredients?

If you are able, try searching on EDS or using the Recipe Index as there are loads posted. Welcome to EDS. Smile
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902
mummytoaprinceandprincess
5% products discount

Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:54 am      Reply with quote
Hi everyone

I have just made carekates basic vit c serum and its making my face feel a little clammy. I doubled up the ingredients to make a larger quantity so this is it:

3/4 tsp vit c
15ml water
15ml glycerin

Would using propylene glycol stop it feeling like this? Or am i using the wrong quantity?
live2act2

Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:50 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry Darkmoon. I am a new member here so I didn't want to look through 35 pages of DIY recipes (though they are all quite good I might add.) I am so excited that I found this website! I made my mother a homemade bath kit for Christmas and I stumbled upon this while I was looking for DIY recipes. Thanks to everyone who contributes, but especially you, DarkMoon and Carekate.
P.S. Sorry about the post above me, I didn't mean to do that. I just meant to do this.
havana8

Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:42 am      Reply with quote
live2act2 wrote:
Sorry Darkmoon. I am a new member here so I didn't want to look through 35 pages of DIY recipes (though they are all quite good I might add.) I am so excited that I found this website! I made my mother a homemade bath kit for Christmas and I stumbled upon this while I was looking for DIY recipes. Thanks to everyone who contributes, but especially you, DarkMoon and Carekate.
P.S. Sorry about the post above me, I didn't mean to do that. I just meant to do this.

Welcome to EDS live2act2. wave

Here is a link to the thread that DarkMoon was mentioning in case you want to read around the post http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=502069#502069 plus the Gelatin for dark circles thread http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14446&highlight=gelatin

As well, here is a link to the DIY Recipe index with all the recipes listed which might make it a bit easier to find stuff: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902

Smile
live2act2

Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hey guys! This is a recipe I found a few days ago on the internet. I think it is great!

Ingredients:
• 3/4 cup Brown Sugar
• 1/2 cup ground oatmeal (not instant)
• 1/4 cup pure honey
• 3/4 to 1 cup (or to total saturation)
• Oil of choice - I use Jojoba or Grape seed
• 1/4 tsp Essential or Fragrance oil of choice (optional) Vanilla works nicely.

Instructions:
1. Mix the brown sugar & oatmeal together in a large bowl.
2. Now add the honey.
3. Drizzle the oil over the mix.
4. Mix well.
5. When all your mix is saturated and sinks to the bottom of the bowl and you have oil on top you're done.
6. Add your essential oil or fragrance oil.
7. Spoon the mixture into a eight to sixteen ounce bottle. (I am not sure which size because the bottle I used didn't have a label on it.)
8. Before you turn off your shower, scoop a small handful of scrub into your hand. Rub gently onto your skin. Rinse.

Shake well before using as the oil will rise to the top.

I am trying a new recipe for bath bombs-I will try to put it up in a few days if it works but I will be on vacation and don't know if there will be computers.
xoxo
Pollyanna
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
I was just browsing through this forum looking at the UK suppliers for DIY. Most of them I checked were more for essential oils and soap making which I am not so interested in.
While searching the net I came across this site which looks amazing...
Thought I would share for those of you who might be in the UK as the prices were reasonable for already made serums and creams plus they also sell the SKB and the Hyaluronic acid, DMAE,pomegrante seed oil etc..for DIY
http://www.activeformulas.com/Active_Formulas/quickshop.html

sorry if someone has already posted this site- I'm still new-ish Embarassed

Female CANADA 49 Brunette,Fair/normal skin- Gadgets: Derminator, AALS. Skin care: DIY Vit C serum, Osmotics Copper Prime 5, Valmont Renewing Pack, Skinceuticals Retinol, Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. Internal: Tons of supplements ;o and some much needed bioidentical hormones
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
mrslid wrote:

Does anyone have any idea how I would know how much emulsifier to add? Thanks!

As DM has posted, you do have lots of leeway with lecithin. In my experience when using it, I just add it drop by drop until it's the consistency I'm after.

Personally lecithin is my least favorite emulsifier, because it's greasy, sticky and way amber in color. In a pinch though, and for a quick fix, I just squeeze out a few drops from my "Natures Way 1200mg Supplement Softgel" (glycerin, water + lecithin from soy.) So drop by drop, till you get the consistency you like.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
NotMeNotYou
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:38 pm      Reply with quote
Not a recipe, just a tip for making creams. If you've made a cream that turned out oiler than you hoped and leaves an oily residue on the skin rather than soaking all the way in, there's simple trick to fix it. Mix in a small amount of rice flour (obtainable from any asian grocery store). About 1 tsp per 100mls of cream should do the trick. It absorbs the excess oil but is undetectable in the cream and leaves no trace on the skin except a very silken feel.

You don't need to do anything special to it, just mix the flour straight in until you've got no lumps. Rice flour is a skin softener and a home remedy for skin whitening (I have no idea if it works for that). It will also bind a cream that's split (water separates out of the emulsion). It leaves the skin feeling very silky. Just don't add it to a face cream if you have acne as some people say it's aggravates it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:11 am      Reply with quote
More natural bulk butters and oils,

http://www.bulknaturaloils.com/

http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

http://www.agbangakarite.com/recipe_exotica.php

http://www.thefragrancelab.net/soaps1.htm

http://www.essentialsbycatalina.com/shop/wholesalebases.html

Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
DarkMoon wrote:
daygolove wrote:
As for carekate's vit c serum and acv toner recipe, Can I use GNC Vitamin Crystals (ascorbic acid) with rose hips powder? Or does it have to be pure vitamin c?

It is best to use pure LAA ultrafine powder for skin care recipes, dayglove. Smile

You will find a listing of DIY suppliers at the bottom of the recipe index here:

Thank you for the quick response, guess i'll go back to GNC and return it. Lol
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:41 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |