Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Mabsy

Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:37 am      Reply with quote
Just a maintenance note (please ignore): Recipe index at http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=96107 was updated today.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Perk up your Pucker

A while back I was able to try Carekate's lip exfoliation and I loved the idea of exfoliating my lips, but I found that for me the sugar granules felt uncomfortable (a bit sharp) and I had a hard time keeping the product on my lips during exfoliation (it kept falling off into the sink Laughing).

So, I got to thinking about one of my favorite exfoliants - rice powder! I figured I would have a go at making my own lip exfoliator. I also had to think about how to replace the lovely acids from the sugar and asprin in Carekate's mix (kinda hard to find plain old asprin in Japan).

So, after tinkering around I came up with the following. I now use this 3 times a week (have done so for a month) and my pucker is perky and ready to peck! This will yield enough for about two week's worth of treatment and takes all of 3 min to prepare.

Lip Exfoliator

1/4 tsp rice powder
1/4 tsp manuka honey (or any dark honey)
4 drops IS CLinical Active Serum ( Laughing yes, this is how I use it up )
2-3 pumps camellia seed oil (or other light oil you might have on hand)
1/4 tsp mineral water
(sometimes I put in a few drops of pure propolis extract too)

Massage gently onto the lips (15-20 seconds top and bottom). Rinse off with warm water. Pat dry with tissue, soft towel or cotton pad. The camellia seed oil will prevent them feeling dry after exfoliation, but it is best to apply a light coat of nourishing balm.

It is great because:
- rice powder granules are very fine and non-scratchy. The don't clump and adhere nicely to the surface being exfoliated.
- the camellia seed oil is very light in texture and does not feel heavy
- the manuka honey has a very thick texture which helps to hold it all together
- the Active Serum is not something I would normally use on lips, but as it is washed off and only on for a short time, I have had no trouble. No tingling or anything.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:45 am      Reply with quote
I forgot to paste in my favorite! This was the first ever homemade treatment I attempted! Very Happy

Homemade version of Neal's Yard Remedies:
Honey & Orange Scrub

2 drops each orange oil and neroli oil
1 tab each ground rice, kaolin
2 tab each honey, purified water
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (or other favorite oil - jojoba, camellia, etc.)
1/4 tsp propolis extract (optional)

Mix everything together and keep tightly covered in dark jar in fridge. should suffice for four treatments of face & neck

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:29 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
1/4 tsp rice powder
Where can one find rice powder if one lives in a non-Asian place?! I've wanted some for ages (along with rice starch for my Silk Dust recipe) but I can't find it anywhere.... Sad Is there any place I can order it online?!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:31 am      Reply with quote
tiger_tim wrote:
1 tab each ground rice
Same deal with the ground rice -- where or where can I find it?!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:38 am      Reply with quote
well, ground rice/rice powder should be readily available in any Asian supermarket. In Japan they use it for making little sweets (dumplings on a stick) and it is usually either in the cooking supplies (ie cakes and sweets) section or in the rice section. If you cannot find it anywhere at all, LMK and I will find out how many million papers have to be filled in at the post office to send you a packet. Laughing (US needs pre-request papers submitted for any food stuff being sent)

Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
hayleighs_mom wrote:
Has anyone else bought propylene glycol from somewhere else other than I don't want to pay the expensive shipping.

Thanks,
Anna

Somerset Cosmetic Company carries lots of products. Not sure about pricing as I have only bought a few items and haven't really shopped around.
nomoreneckpain
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate, Just a thought which you may have already checked out-does Austin have an Asian market? Here in Houston we have the HongKong market where alot of my asian co-workers shop at for specialty items. Unfortunately I've not been there, so I'm not absolutely sure about the rice products. Just a thought.
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:03 am      Reply with quote
Here you go Carrie:

http://japanesefood.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=japanesefood&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maruwa.com%2Findex_e.html

GISHI JYOSHINKO (rice flour) 8.8 oz $2.99

They also have AZUKI (red beans) but you will need your own grinder as they are not already ground.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hi - I was just wondering where to find kaolin clay. I live in New York City, and everywhere I call just has green or bentonite clay, which I'm worried might be too much for my skin . . .
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:53 pm      Reply with quote
sark wrote:
Hi - I was just wondering where to find kaolin clay. I live in New York City, and everywhere I call just has green or bentonite clay, which I'm worried might be too much for my skin . . .

try gardenofwisdom.com
i'm sure that Markey has kaolin clay.

35, combination skin, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation at the slightest blemish + stubborn blackheads on nose. Ignoramus about skincare--hence the litany of skincare woes. Here to learn, and grateful for help.
sark
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
thanks! sorry, but i'm new to all of this - is markey a store in nyc or online?
Priscilla
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
sorry, Markey runs an online store, Garden of Wisdom. she has reasonable prices and usually ships promptly by Priority Mail.

35, combination skin, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation at the slightest blemish + stubborn blackheads on nose. Ignoramus about skincare--hence the litany of skincare woes. Here to learn, and grateful for help.
tularyn
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
The brand Now Foods sells a variety of clays, including Kaolin, that come in white plastic jars kind of like vitamins come in. Perhaps you can google it and find an online retailer?

I bought mine at a local health food store, so if you have one of those, I would check it out. You might also try someplace like Whole Foods, but I haven't been there lately so I have no idea if they sell that.

P.S.
The personal formulator does sell kaolin
http://thepersonalformulator.com/wvss/product_info.php?products_id=163
Carekate recommended this site I think, and I've purchased from them several times with very good experiences. The only thing is that shipping is a little pricey if you're only ordering one thing. But they have so many goodies, who can really stop at one?

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:59 am      Reply with quote
sark wrote:
I have a one-pound jar of kaolin (more than I'll ever use in a lifetime as I've discovered I prefer French green clay) -- can't remember where I ordered it from, sorry -- but if you'd like, I can decant some for you and send it to you in NYC -- just reimburse me for postage. PM me to work out the details.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:26 am      Reply with quote
TKB also sells it. I almost bought some with my pearl powder and avocado oil, but there's a cute litle shop that sells it near me and I like to support local businesses.

Their shipping is super fast too.

http://www.tkbtrading.com/index.php?item=111&ret=http%3A%2F%2F72.37.149.157%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D1%26category%3D13

A pound for $5.90

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:28 am      Reply with quote
Angyl wrote:
TKB also sells it. I almost bought some with my pearl powder and avocado oil, but there's a cute litle shop that sells it near me and I like to support local businesses.

Their shipping is super fast too.

http://www.tkbtrading.com/index.php?item=111&ret=http%3A%2F%2F72.37.149.157%2Findex.php%3Fpage%3D1%26category%3D13

A pound for $5.90
THAT's where I got it!! Now, if only I could find somewhere to purchase RICE STARCH online....

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:14 am      Reply with quote
Wouldn't rice starch be the same as rice flour? Do you have any Asian markets near you? It's about the same consistency as....corn starch, I think.

If you don't, I live in Cali, so I can go out hunting and send you some.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:06 pm      Reply with quote
thanks everyone on the advice about kaolin - i'll probably order online since that seems easiest. i'm down to deciding between two types of lavender essential oil - primavera's lavender extra and nature's gift (naturesgift.com) lavender hi-altitude. it seems like whether i order from saffronrouge.com (primavera) or naturesgift.com, the shipping should be comparable and both offer free samples. for therapeutic purposes, which lavender do you think is better?
tiger_tim
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:47 pm      Reply with quote
Angyl wrote:
Wouldn't rice starch be the same as rice flour? Do you have any Asian markets near you? It's about the same consistency as....corn starch, I think.

If you don't, I live in Cali, so I can go out hunting and send you some.

The rice flour/ground rice that I am talking about is not a powdery flour at all, it is quite gritty, hence it makes a great scrub.

Carrie, if you did not find it yet, LMK and I can send you a little bottle from what I have here (I wonder how it would go getting into the USA?)

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:21 pm      Reply with quote
Carekate, I found rice bran starch, both coarse and fine atwww. naturalsourcing.com. I couldn't find a price, but noted you could request a quote by how much you wanted to order. They also allow you to req. a sample. HTH.
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:27 pm      Reply with quote
Rosacea, Anti-Redness & Calming serum

There are a lot of those calming serums out there (La Prairie, Topix, Pevonia, Skin Actives etc etc) but there are just some ingredients that are used endlessly across all these effective products. So I have combined the most effective and readily available ingredients into a serum which can be used as a treatment, moisturiser or an exfoliating base which helps to keep the skin calm.

Equipment: (make sure it is all heat treated and well sterilised to prevent any contamination!!)
- Vacuum pump (most hygienic way to store product, and avoids the problems of blocked nozzles)
- Mini electric mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Funnel
- Small .15cc measuring spoon, or alternatively a small spatula/spoon device

Ingredients: (for about 30mL of product)
- Green tea extract: polyphenols, EGCG, and caffeine .15cc
- Licorice extract .30cc
- Beta-glucan .30cc
- Xylitol 1gram
- Allantoin, optional .07cc
Optional ingredients for brightening skin
- Glutathione .50cc
- White Birch extract .30-.50cc
(A note on actives: if you find plant extracts too difficult or expensive to obtain, then you will lose out on much of their potent activities, so if you absolutely have to use just regular dried green tea and licorice, you will need to use around 3-5 times as much!). You can also adjust any of the ingredients, bar allantoin, preferrably one at a time, if you are not seeing any effects.

Base:

- Hydrosol (like rose, helichrysum) 10ml
- Aloe vera extract (not processed gel, powder or concentrate) 20ml
- Lecithin .5-2gm depending on desired consistency
- Rosehip/Perilla oil, optional for a moisturising serum, around 5ml
- Hyaluronic acid, optional for increased moisture, .15-.30cc

Preservatives are optional but recommended, up to you if you want to use synthetic (parabens) or natural ones like essential oils (1-2 drops MAX) if you are using a lecithin base which helps oils/non-oils mix better.

You will need to mix the actives first then slowly stir in the hydrosol and aloe base ingredients, then use the electric beater to mix everything thoroughly. From experience, some actives tend to foam terribly, so you will have to gently shake down the foam after mixing. Also, some green tea extracts do not emulsify in water, so the lecithin will help as well. I would suggest to keep this in the fridge to help keep longer, and it is an extra treat for the face too.

I have used a similarar recipe on and off for several months, and it does take perseverance and continued use to see any change in skin tone. And it would take much longer to see any permanent changes in redness, since my seems to creep back once I stop using any serums.
simple things

Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Hi diderot...where do you buy your oils? I like to try your Homemade sleeping potion. Thankssssssssss in advance.I hope your potion can help my sleeping problem.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:02 am      Reply with quote
miranets wrote:
Rosacea, Anti-Redness & Calming serum

There are a lot of those calming serums out there (La Prairie, Topix, Pevonia, Skin Actives etc etc) but there are just some ingredients that are used endlessly across all these effective products. So I have combined the most effective and readily available ingredients into a serum which can be used as a treatment, moisturiser or an exfoliating base which helps to keep the skin calm.

Equipment: (make sure it is all heat treated and well sterilised to prevent any contamination!!)
- Vacuum pump (most hygienic way to store product, and avoids the problems of blocked nozzles)
- Mini electric mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Funnel
- Small .15cc measuring spoon, or alternatively a small spatula/spoon device

Ingredients: (for about 30mL of product)
- Green tea extract: polyphenols, EGCG, and caffeine .15cc
- Licorice extract .30cc
- Beta-glucan .30cc
- Xylitol 1gram
- Allantoin, optional .07cc
Optional ingredients for brightening skin
- Glutathione .50cc
- White Birch extract .30-.50cc
(A note on actives: if you find plant extracts too difficult or expensive to obtain, then you will lose out on much of their potent activities, so if you absolutely have to use just regular dried green tea and licorice, you will need to use around 3-5 times as much!). You can also adjust any of the ingredients, bar allantoin, preferrably one at a time, if you are not seeing any effects.

Base:

- Hydrosol (like rose, helichrysum) 10ml
- Aloe vera extract (not processed gel, powder or concentrate) 20ml
- Lecithin .5-2gm depending on desired consistency
- Rosehip/Perilla oil, optional for a moisturising serum, around 5ml
- Hyaluronic acid, optional for increased moisture, .15-.30cc

Preservatives are optional but recommended, up to you if you want to use synthetic (parabens) or natural ones like essential oils (1-2 drops MAX) if you are using a lecithin base which helps oils/non-oils mix better.

You will need to mix the actives first then slowly stir in the hydrosol and aloe base ingredients, then use the electric beater to mix everything thoroughly. From experience, some actives tend to foam terribly, so you will have to gently shake down the foam after mixing. Also, some green tea extracts do not emulsify in water, so the lecithin will help as well. I would suggest to keep this in the fridge to help keep longer, and it is an extra treat for the face too.

I have used a similarar recipe on and off for several months, and it does take perseverance and continued use to see any change in skin tone. And it would take much longer to see any permanent changes in redness, since my seems to creep back once I stop using any serums.

You rock!! You've just saved me the bother of developing a DIY version based on the SkinActives serum my mom has been using lately. Muchas gracias for saving me the work! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:43 am      Reply with quote
I need some assistance from the DIY crowd! Cool

I love my Yonka Halo 70, but I´m not to crazy about using stuff with FD&C colourants in them (nor the PEG for that matter). So, is there any other colourants that would work in a blend such as this? I´m thinking micas would be too heavy, but I have no experience in colour cosmetics, only cosmetic aromatherapy.
Ingredients in Yonka Halo:

Water/Aqua, Glycerin, PEG-33 Castor Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Pelargonium Graveolens (Geranium) Flower Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Thymus Vulgaris (Thyme) Oil, Cupressus Sempervirens (Cypress) Oil, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Borneol, Yellow 6/Cl 15985, Red 40/Cl 16035, Blue 1/Cl 42090.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:01 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |