Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

*~~~~~~~DIY skincare recipe & discussion thread~~~~~~~~*
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Lorena wrote:
Hekp! I am not able to see any messages in page 27 of this topic. When I get to page 26 (which I can see properly) and click on "next" or "27" I get this message: "Take advantage of our Thank-You system and thank fellow members for their input" and nothing else. I also tried accessing it from various other pages, including the Home Page, and pasting the URL. Nothing. Is it happening to anyone else? Do you have (please) any suggestions?
If you cen help me, could you please be so kind to send me a private message?
Many, many thanks
Lorena

Lorena, you can ignore this message; it's a bug in the forum system that shows the next page too early. Just click back on the page prior and you will see the new posts.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:55 am      Reply with quote
wow!You are so capable!
skincareaddicted
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:27 pm      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:

Kristen,

I used 2:1 (silk to pearl); however, this dries me out too much, if I use it under/over my MMU. I am going to try to use it as a spot touch up, if needed during the day after matting with my oil-papers (though, I really don't need powder, if feel). I will also use it at night as a preventative powder.

Hi Tricia,

Do you think it's the pearl powder that is drying you out or the silk powder? if you can figure that out, maybe increase the proportion on of over the other.

~Kristen

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi Tricia,

Do you think it's the pearl powder that is drying you out or the silk powder? if you can figure that out, maybe increase the proportion on of over the other.

~Kristen

Kristen, I think it's the pearl powder. I just got done with a fiasco of a DIY with the PP! Finally, I figured out that I needed to make it REALLY like you make a cake (dry ingredients in bowl, then slowly add the liquid while beating to get a nice consistency). I spattered it all over the place because the metal pieces got gunked up - I didn't pay any attention - that will teach me to pay more from now on (what a clean up job)! Anyway, the final product is lovely and just the right mix so I'm very happy with it. I tried some and it goes on perfectly matte so all's well.

I think for the straight powder, it's just that I don't really need it right away and it would be better used as only a touch up after blotting. Make sense? You are also right that I might need to cut down the portion of pearl powder to silk.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Tricia,

How much cream did you make, LOL? I have only made a tablespoon at a time so just small scale mixing for me.

Hehe, i guess there is such truth to the saying 'too much of a good thing.' I do think pearl powder can be drying now that i have worked more with it. when i was using carrie's pearl creme, i remember complaining about the tight/dry feeling but was told by members here that it wasn't drying but a natural tightening, characteristic of pearl powder.

since making my own pearl creme, i think it's really important to use a more moisturizing base when working with pearl powder. the formula i use now has a high pearl powder percentage, but i experience zero tightness/dryness so i don't have to layer another moisturizer or oil on top and i think it is because the GoW base cream has enough moisturizing ingredients to maximize the pearl powder's effectivness without imparting the tight feeling that can occur.

I am wondering if silk powder can be used straight?

Kristen ~

5% products discount

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you very much, I can see page 27 now - very kind of you taking the time to reply to me.
scalawaggirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:20 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi Tricia,

How much cream did you make, LOL? I have only made a tablespoon at a time so just small scale mixing for me.

Hehe, i guess there is such truth to the saying 'too much of a good thing.' I do think pearl powder can be drying now that i have worked more with it. when i was using carrie's pearl creme, i remember complaining about the tight/dry feeling but was told by members here that it wasn't drying but a natural tightening, characteristic of pearl powder.

since making my own pearl creme, i think it's really important to use a more moisturizing base when working with pearl powder. the formula i use now has a high pearl powder percentage, but i experience zero tightness/dryness so i don't have to layer another moisturizer or oil on top and i think it is because the GoW base cream has enough moisturizing ingredients to maximize the pearl powder's effectivness without imparting the tight feeling that can occur.

Kristen ~

Kristen,

I made a batch according to the recipe that is posted in the Pearl Powder thread as I have not yet received by GOW order. So, I have a lot. Wink Almost all of it is in the fridge but I also added Optiphen (preservative), which I do to all of my DIY products. I was in recipe batch mode yesterday and still see splatters in the kitchen...sometimes, I can get too focused. Laughing Oh, I also added some Hazelnut and Jojoba oils to the paste because it was too drying at first. When I have my GOW base, I will do a test adding a small amount to my paste and think this will give me a really nice final product with less drying (it's not too much now but I'd like a little more moisture).

Before I received the PP, I tried the silk powder straight as a night cover and it worked fine (a bit white but I didn't care at night). As I mentioned, I did make a mixed powder w/PP, Silk, and Zinc Oxide but my skin doesn't really need any more mattification so I will probably only use it sparingly during the day and at night as a cover.

I used the Pearl Powder paste before my Facemate yesterday but the conductive gel caused the paste to MELT right off - very weird and obviously a conflict in the gel vs. the paste. So, I washed it off and just used my beta glucans, as usual. After, I washed my face, reapplied BGs, then my copper peptides and emu/HA/sea kelp. After an 1/2 hour or so, I applied my Pearl Powder paste before going to bed. This worked really well and I had a nice, moisturizing base so I wasn't dried out. I know it should go on bare skin but that would preclude me from using my CPs as I don't think they'd actually absorb through the pearl (or the emu would, either, for that matter).

5% products discount

Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
Bluerain wrote:
I found this here...http://www.recipegoldmine.com/beautyskin/skin1.html

Natural Skin Care Aids and What They Do

Arrowroot Dries up blemishes

Avocado Moisturizes

Barley Anti-blemish; refines pores; retards wrinkles

Beet Moisturizes

Benzoin, Tincture of Natural preservative for creams, lotions; chapped skin

Bicarbonate of Soda Water softener

Borax Skin softener; cleanser; bleach; emulsifier when mixed with other ingredients

Bran Tightens large pores; combats dryness

....Here are some simple home recipes http://www.recipegoldmine.com/beautyskin/skin.html

Blue

Bluerain, I came across your list, lots of great info in a easy reference list! Thanks!

44, 1/2 okinawan, 1/2 heinz 57 - dry skin, kind of dull in color, TOO MANY wrinkles under eyes when I smile...and puffiness or lumpy fat pads under eyes, looking for the magic pill to get my youth back
hpjrt
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Hi scalawaggirl,

Your addition of the Hazelnut and Jojoba oils is exactly what I did with my Rich version of my original Pearl Paste recipe. The "basic" version is fine for me ... but one of my testers has really dry skin ... particularly in the winter! Laughing [Wood stoves will dry out the air and your skin so much!] So I added the oils for her benefit.

She still adds moisturizer on top of the Rich Pearl Paste ... but the oils in the Pearl Paste work really well! Smile

Hi Kristen,
You can indeed use the Silk Powder on its own. I did that for quite a while ...

I applied the Silk Powder with a fiber optic brush ... so that I got less on my face per layer ... Laughing ... and the end result wasn't quite so "white". Laughing [My husband appreciated that I think! Smile ]

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:31 am      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
Hi Tricia,

Kristen ~

Hello,
Do you think adding more carrier oils in the thicken pearl paste would be enough moisture like using a GOW's cream base?
I remember Mary's version only used minimal carrier oil and hence the "dryness"...

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:59 am      Reply with quote
Hi Wild Cat,

The problem is that you reach a threshold with Pearl Paste. If you add too much carrier oil ... the "paste" no longer sticks together.

Pearl is water soluble ... so while it accepts a certain amount of oil and will absorb it ... but without an emulsifier you can only add so much ... unfortunately! Laughing

Believe me ... I've thrown away a few batches as a result of a little too much of one thing and not enough of another! Confused Laughing Too much carrier oil was not a pretty mix! Laughing

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:53 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Mary,
Please forgive my silliness...How much is too much? I just don't see couple of drops would be enough. I guess I will have to add a little bit by a little bit...I so worry that I am going to make a mess Mad

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Wild Cat,

How much is too much? It depends upon the size and consistency of the batch! Laughing

However, the way to "test" it is to add, say, 5 drops of oil ... mix it into your Pearl Paste batch ... and let it sit for a bit ... let the pearl absorb the oil.

After a few hours ... see how it is. If the pearl paste has absorbed the oil and the mixture isn't separating ... try adding some more.

I think the best way is to take a small portion of the batch [say a couple of teaspoons] ... and put it into a separate jar and work with that portion of the batch.

Once you have reached the point where it won't take any more oil without separation ... then you can extrapolate the number of drops and relate it to the bigger batch. Very Happy

HTH

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:24 pm      Reply with quote
scalawaggirl wrote:

Kristen,

I made a batch according to the recipe that is posted in the Pearl Powder thread as I have not yet received by GOW order. So, I have a lot. Wink Almost all of it is in the fridge but I also added Optiphen (preservative), which I do to all of my DIY products. I was in recipe batch mode yesterday and still see splatters in the kitchen...sometimes, I can get too focused. Laughing Oh, I also added some Hazelnut and Jojoba oils to the paste because it was too drying at first. When I have my GOW base, I will do a test adding a small amount to my paste and think this will give me a really nice final product with less drying (it's not too much now but I'd like a little more moisture).

Before I received the PP, I tried the silk powder straight as a night cover and it worked fine (a bit white but I didn't care at night). As I mentioned, I did make a mixed powder w/PP, Silk, and Zinc Oxide but my skin doesn't really need any more mattification so I will probably only use it sparingly during the day and at night as a cover.

I used the Pearl Powder paste before my Facemate yesterday but the conductive gel caused the paste to MELT right off - very weird and obviously a conflict in the gel vs. the paste. So, I washed it off and just used my beta glucans, as usual. After, I washed my face, reapplied BGs, then my copper peptides and emu/HA/sea kelp. After an 1/2 hour or so, I applied my Pearl Powder paste before going to bed. This worked really well and I had a nice, moisturizing base so I wasn't dried out. I know it should go on bare skin but that would preclude me from using my CPs as I don't think they'd actually absorb through the pearl (or the emu would, either, for that matter).

Hi Tricia,

I am not sure how the pearl paste recipe posted in the pearl thread would mix in with the GoW base cream. I haven't tried Mary's formula yet but if it is anything like Carrie's, i would think it would be hard to mix with the base without remelting a bit. Carrie's pearl creme is very dense, and i the last bit of it dried into the jar and was unusable for me.

I just received some east shea butter from GoW and the stuff is such a beautiful consistency, like butter whipped in silk, literally. I am going to whip some into my base cream and see if i can add a little more moisture. I have been getting drier skin lately, i think my skin is going through some major change.

I have so much stuff at this point, i should stop ordering, but i rotate what i use and go by mood too. sometimes, i wish i had more than one face Laughing.

The silk powder sounds good. I think i might order some and use that plus pearl powder on days i won't be out so i won't use sofina or sunkiller SS in conjunction since i think that might turn my face into the sahara desert. I can't believe how oily my face used to be compared to now.

Kristen~

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mary,

What is a fiber optic brush? and my skin is getting sooo dry. i constantly have the heat on so that doesn't help my cause at all.

I wonder if i should get one of those humidifiers? I am just afraid it would coat everything in a mist, LOL. I know, it probably won't happen but i would absolutely die without my laptop Wink .

Kristen Smile

hpjrt wrote:

Hi Kristen,
You can indeed use the Silk Powder on its own. I did that for quite a while ...

I applied the Silk Powder with a fiber optic brush ... so that I got less on my face per layer ... Laughing ... and the end result wasn't quite so "white". Laughing [My husband appreciated that I think! Smile ]

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Wild Cat wrote:

Hello,
Do you think adding more carrier oils in the thicken pearl paste would be enough moisture like using a GOW's cream base?
I remember Mary's version only used minimal carrier oil and hence the "dryness"...

Hi Wildcat,

I don't think it would have the same effect as Markey's GoW base cream. The base cream is made from different ingredients from the pearl paste recipe. The first ingredients in the veggie cream include coconut milk and broccolli seed and watermelon seed oil.

This results i think in a "cushiony" base cream, such a lovely texture that makes my skin so soft and mattifies it at the same time. I swear, it makes my skin appear semi flawless which i often get wearing a tinted sunscreen like sofina, but it is such a nice effect to get from a moisturizer!

Her azulene base cream is lovely too (especially for sensitive skin, my mom loves it) but the veggie base cream is my favorite.

HTH, Kristen

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi Skincareaddicted,

I got my fiber optic brush here

http://www.essentialbeautysupplies.com/catalog/Fiber_Optic_Brushes-25-1.html

She explains what the fiber optic brush is WAY better than I can! Laughing

Hi Wild Cat,

Are you looking to make the Pearl Paste "creamier" ... or "with more oil". They might be two different things.

My current formula is very creamy and light ... although you still only use a very little. All the variations have this same creamy lightness ... whether they have more oils or not. I find the new formula is not only easier for people to use ... but it leaves the skin looking very smooth.

Certainly Skincareaddicted's solution is a reasonable one. There is at least one emulsifier in it ... and I know that my skin has a problem with some emulsifiers ... Mad ... which makes my using actual creams a real problem. That said ... I have no experience with Markey's emulsifier at all ... but I know that it's wise for me to stay away from emulsifiers in general. Very Happy

I guess it really depends upon what you want the Pearl Paste to do for you.

HTH

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
thanks Mary!

5% products discount

Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
Dear luckylouie, about your serum...you mention you have spider veins and so do I - I have been very careful about NOT using DMAE on that area, but I notice that your serum does contain some and I wonder if you'd be so kind to tell me if you had any problems with inflamation of the capillaries. Also, I am holding my breath for your final say about the serum: I really want to try it myself...Smile
Thank you very much for taking the time to raply to my question.
christygao
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:06 pm      Reply with quote
this is sooooo cool!!

only hope I found the site earlier
mommydearest
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
why don't you need a preservative in the ACV toner if it is not refrigerated? What if you add Green Tea which would have water in it?
Wild Cat
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
hpjrt wrote:

Hi Wild Cat,

Are you looking to make the Pearl Paste "creamier" ... or "with more oil". They might be two different things.

My current formula is very creamy and light ... although you still only use a very little. All the variations have this same creamy lightness ... whether they have more oils or not. I find the new formula is not only easier for people to use ... but it leaves the skin looking very smooth.

Certainly Skincareaddicted's solution is a reasonable one. There is at least one emulsifier in it ... and I know that my skin has a problem with some emulsifiers ... Mad ... which makes my using actual creams a real problem. That said ... I have no experience with Markey's emulsifier at all ... but I know that it's wise for me to stay away from emulsifiers in general. Very Happy

I guess it really depends upon what you want the Pearl Paste to do for you.

HTH

Mary

Thanks Mary,
I guess I am hoping the pearl paste can be moisturizing enough for me on its own that I will not need any other moisturizer after it. I will test the oil absorption out on a smaller patch as you suggested.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Wildcat,

Have you tried putting BG's into the mix? Smile

That might work better for you than increasing the oils in your paste.

Just a thought ...

Mary

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:35 pm      Reply with quote
skincareaddicted wrote:
This recipe has been posted in the beta glucans thread but I just thought I would add it here too.

I tweaked Garden of Wisdom's Markey's directions for dissolving pearl powder into distilled water and then mixing into 1 tbsp of base cream then adding it back into the rest of 2 oz of base cream. I simply didn't read her directions carefully and failed to follow the last directions to re-add the mix into the rest of the base cream. As a result, my mistake yields a higher concentration of actives in the cream which is nice.

Oat Beta Glucans Pearl Powder Cream

- 1 tbsp base cream (i used GoW's veggie base cream)

- 1 tsp liquid oat beta glucans

- 1/2 tsp pearl powder

I first dissolved the pearl powder in the beta glucans by mixing it and waiting for 2 minutes, then i whipped in the veggie base cream. I applied and wow, such a matte, smooth finish.

This was originally an experimental batch, so I didn't use my whole jar of base cream which is 2 ounces. To make more, just increase the proportions.

Kristen Smile

With my order from Carekate she tossed in a small container, maybe 1/2 tsp. of Lavender Pearl Silk Dust. Can I use your above recipe and use the silk dust? You can probably tell I am not a DIYer.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:04 am      Reply with quote
Hi Frodo,

I believe that Carrie is now following my recipe to a degree and adding pearl to the silk powder ... but if the rest of her recipe is the same as before, she also adds talc and possibly sunscreen. These additional ingredients wouldn't give you the same effect/result as straight pearl powder would in skincareaddicted's recipe.

Sorry ... Crying or Very sad

Mary

Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:54 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |