Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Any recommendations for Oil Control?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
tynkerbell
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:19 am      Reply with quote
My skin gets pretty oily by midday, giving my face a really unwanted shine. what products would you recommend to control this?

i saw Jane Iredale Absence Oil Control and it looks really good. will it cause outbreaks, allergic reactions? if any of you have tried it before, let me know! thanks.
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:41 am      Reply with quote
Never tried those you mentioned. But most oil-control/mattifying products out there are silicone based, which wreaks havoc on my skin. If you want to go a more natural route, go to a health food store or organic co-op & see if they carry either pure aloe vera jelly/gel (not the green stuff you get at the druggist & put on sunburn) or aloe juice.
Aloe vera has natural oil control properties, and is non drying. Use the gel as you would your day moisturizer, if you get the juice (which is easier to find)then you must keep it in the refrigerator. Use it as you would a toner - if you are really oily, then you will probably be able to skip the moisturizer if you use the aloe juice.

Also, using jojoba oil normalizes the skin & balances sebum production. I know it doesn't make sense to put oil on oily skin, but your skin may be over-producing oil because your body thinks that it is too dry.
tynkerbell
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
So i should use aloe juice as a toner? is it alright to get the aloe leave, juice it, and use it on skin?
tootsie
5% products discount

Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I have REALLY oily skin and have found something to control it to some degree. I have been using a soap called PanOxyl and it has helped to shrink the pores and minimize oil production. I used to have bad adult acne and would often look oily within an hour of washing my face. It took about a month to see results for the acne - I have been washing my face morning and night with it. I have even been using it on my hairline to control that area. It isn't a terribly drying soap so i've not had to compensate by using any heavy creams to repair dry skin. I use a prescription from my dermatologist that consists of Cetaphil and HC 2.5% but otherwise i've steered clear of any of the fancy stuff because in the past they never seem to do the trick. I think the result i get from the soap is that it shrinks the pores and kills the bacteria that causes acne - the perk is that since the pores are smaller they produce less oil:)
Sorry it's kinda long winded..
Toots.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
i dont use any products for oiliness..but on occasion i use clearasel's (sp?) oil blotters...they take away oil and dont leave a nasty powder coat on the skin

5% products discount

Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I was using Neutrogena's facial cleanser for awhile and it seems to work. Cetaphil is not bad either and is quite light.

Right now I am trying out the facial cleanser, toner and Dead Sea Mud Mask from The Organic Makeup Co.

The facial cleanser makes my skin feel a bit lighter compared to Neutrogena which feels a bit heavier.

The toner is great and love the smell. I have the floral scent and it is great.

As for the Dead Sea Mud Mask, it provides a great lemongrass smell and reminds me of the spa treatments I've had in Bali. The Dead Sea Mud really cleans my face well and as it dries, I get a wonderful sensation from it and its hard to describe.
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:12 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry to be so late in replying. As for the aloe, yes, it would be great to use it fresh from the plant. However, you will most likely need to rinse it off 10 minutes after it has dried. There are starches & sugars in the fresh gel that will make your face tight & sticky. If you buy the juice, you can use it as a toner & leave it on. If you get the refined jelly, it is filtered & you can leave that on as well.
kookykitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:23 pm      Reply with quote
Hello, there! Smile

I set my foundation or tinted moisturizer with Jurlique Lavendar Silk Dust and I find that really helps to cut down on the oilies. When I do get them, I absorb the excess oil with Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing Sheets and then blot with MAC Blot Powder. Hope this helps some! Smile
Mabsy

Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
I've got the Jane Iredale Absence and have had no problems with it. No reactions, no blocked pores etc

I do find that it makes my makeup last a lot longer and does control shine even in hot weather. I don't like how icky it gets in the packaging though...

Have you tried Decleor Ylang Ylang oil or Dr Hauschka Normalizing Oil? Both products seem to get good reviews for controlling oil.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:01 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy, what do you mean by icky in packaging?

thanks for the aloe tip! how do i juice the aloe? lol. do i put it in the juicer?
Mabsy

Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:41 am      Reply with quote
tynkerbell wrote:
Mabsy, what do you mean by icky in packaging?

I get the same problem with cream to powder compacts. I use them on clean skin, with a clean sponge, and yet the cream foundation collects these little particles or fabric, dust etc Maybe I'm just uncoordinated but I get the same thing with the JI Absence and I use it right after I cleanse and moisturise my skin. My sponge is also a bit yellowy - that looks icky too but that is because I use vit C Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:30 am      Reply with quote
As for "juicing" the real aloe leaf, I don't know if putting it in a juicer would work. I guess it would...all you have to do though is cut off a tip of a leaf & suqeeze it out. But when it comes out of a live plant, it is a sticky, gooey, juice. It wouldn't wrok as a toner. You would have to apply it as a treatment masque & then rinse it off.
Rachel06
5% products discount

Sun May 01, 2005 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I always have oily/shiny skin by lunchtime but have found that either Clinique, chanel or Estee Lauder blotting sheets are fantastic.
I just press a sheet or 2 gently over my oily areas and my skin looks matte again - though the blotting sheet is nearly transparent with oil/grease - lovely !! Laughing

Also shideido does an T-zone balancing gel that you put on top of your moisturiser which really helps to keep you skin matte throughout the day.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 3:02 pm      Reply with quote
Oil control fluid from Guerlain is very very good.

Otherwise, I use T LeClerc powder (rice based - very absorbant). Or Johnson & Johnson oil blotting sheets - cheap and very good.
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
I HAD very oily skin, this is what worked for me:

Dr. H Cleansing cream (leave it on for a few minutes and it works as a mask drying out the skin)

Caudalie Beauty Elixir (only if you got $$, else use which hazel)

Cellex-C high potency serum (dries out the skin while fighting wrinkles!)

(Jurlique Herbal recovery gel is a great non-oily moisturiser, again $$...and more a luxury treat)

Dr. H Rejuvenating mask (put on a thin layer under your
foundation!)

(Dr. H Rythmic Night capsules are awsome too, but WAY expensive...)

I'd stay with natural make-up and skin-care, since that may be the reason you have oily skin...if not...just thank your lucky stars since you probably will have less wrinkles as you grow more mature... Very Happy
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 7:32 am      Reply with quote
*sigh of relief* Mabsy, I feel so much better knowing that I'm not the only one with that problem with the JI Absence!! I'm meticulous (not *quite* OCD!!) about keeping everything I put on my face clean Wink, which means especially fingers, sponges, blah blah blah.

But no matter whether I've just cleaned my face or whatever, I get those nasty little particles of fabric, fine hair I never knew existed, etc. on the top of the cream stuff. (Ugh, the worst time ever is when I just happened to be putting it on wearing a red angora sweater... now I do my make-up while still in pajamas!!)

I LURVE Absence to death! And I'll keep on using it, because it really really does help prevent the amount of shininess I have without it. But, argh, it's hard to keep that stuff clean!! My make-up shouldn't be more high maintenance than *I* am!! Wink
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 10:48 am      Reply with quote
See my post under this thread regarding my oil control regimen. If I had to pick one product that has made the most difference, it would be Decleor Aromessence Ylang Ylang oil. I’ve tried Jane Iredale’s Absence and it didn’t do anything for me at all in terms of controlling oil. Actually, none of the silicone based ‘mattifying’ products have worked for me so I don’t know why I bother buying it each time a new brand comes out... Embarassed

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2005 1:10 am      Reply with quote
hmm, i think im really interested in the ylang ylang thing. but how effective is it? is it immediate results? will i be matte throughout the day? my face becomes like an oil grease when i return home, its just not nice =p. so what do u say>
Joom
5% products discount

Tue May 03, 2005 3:10 am      Reply with quote
Tynkerbell the ylang ylang doesn't have an immediate effect but it only took a couple of weeks of using it to notice a big difference in my skin. If you want a Decleor product to prevent shine straight away then their hydra matt regulating fluid is pretty good. Although if you're only going to buy one Decleor product I really would get the oil and just suffer for another couple of weeks with the oil breakthrough problem as it really is great and preventing oily skin.
tynkerbell
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2005 4:29 am      Reply with quote
Great! so my skin will me much less oilier with ylang ylang? thats the best news ive heard all week! lol. ill take a look at the hyrdrating matte fluid too. one more question, do these decleor products (i personally have not tried them out before) cause an adverse reaction to the skin? Eg: Outbreaks, pimples, redness. Just want to check to be sure because irecently ordered JI pressed powder base and skinceuticals ultimate uv defense and ive been getting more spotty Sad.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2005 4:59 am      Reply with quote
No, the Decleor products should not cause any breakouts. However, some people do have allergic reactions, so before you slather the Y-Y oil on your face, make sure you do a “spot test.” Maybe apply a couple drops to the inside of your forearm (near the bend of the elbow, where they stick you to draw blood at the doctor’s office) and wait a day or two to see if you get any redness or reaction. If all is well, you can jump right in! The only ‘adverse’ reaction I had with the Decleor Y-Y oil was a little dryness and flaking around my nose, but this was because I got greedy and applied it more often then recommended – I figured if a little was doing great things for my oil production, then a LOT would do even more – I was wrong!! So make sure you follow the directions and only apply it once per day, in the morning after you wash/tone your face.

Hmmm, unlike Joom, I started seeing a difference in the amount of oil my skin was producing. I mean, I still had ‘breakthrough’ shine after the first couple of days, but it was nowhere near as bad as it had been before I started using the YY oil....

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 03, 2005 6:38 am      Reply with quote
hehe. well the only allergy i have is breakouts so if it doesnt cause breakouts then its fine. =p
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |