Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How long do you give a product...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Scout
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:51 pm      Reply with quote
...if you don't notice any diference? A month? Two or three? Weeks? Thanks Smile
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
Well,it really depends on the type of product. Some products produce a more immediate result, whereas others offer a more cumulative result over time. But I usually give a new product 2 weeks for my skin to adjust to it to tell if it will work with my skin type or not.
DollyPotter
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:03 pm      Reply with quote
Usually at least a month, unless of course I have an immediate negative reaction.
Mabsy

Sun May 01, 2005 12:42 am      Reply with quote
I'm like Darren in that respect. How long I give a product depends on what the product is. For example, spot acne treatment would only last a week with me - long enough to treat a few zits to find out if it gets rid of them quicker. A serum would be a month or even a few - depends on what the serum does. However, there are many products that are preventative products where you may not get a visible result but the product is actually working to ward off something (sunburn, freckles, lines, etc).

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 5:28 am      Reply with quote
Thank you!

I'm wondering about a glycolic peel. The directions say to use it once a week. Would you ever use it more often or am I flirting with danger? It's 30% solution.
Mabsy

Sun May 01, 2005 5:37 am      Reply with quote
red77 wrote:
Thank you!

I'm wondering about a glycolic peel. The directions say to use it once a week. Would you ever use it more often or am I flirting with danger? It's 30% solution.

Personally I wouldn't use one myself at all, I would get it done at a salon. With all the stories about people burning their faces with glycolic peels (stronger than 30% I think though) I would be too chicken to try it Smile By the same token, with something like a 30% AHA solution, if it said use once a week then that's what I would stick to. Like I said though, I haven't used an AHA peel so please wait for more feedback from people who have.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 5:54 am      Reply with quote
red77 wrote:
Thank you!

I would use it once a week as suggested, but use the 10% pads daily, or on the other days you feel you want to use a gylcolic peel. I would also be sure to start with the recommended 2-3 mins, but increase by a minute once a month or something.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 5:55 am      Reply with quote
If it is an immediate tightening product 2 weeks, if it claims to be for collegan regrowth 3 months is required.

On the glycolic acid products: I've used low strength commercial products for 9 months and about a 30%product of my own 3 times now over 5 weeks. I would not use this strength every week although it depends on how your skin responds. I have seen people break out badly doing this you need to let the top layer of your skin heal. I was told by my regular doctor not to do this more than every other week. There are studies that show GLA peels thicken the skin but too often use actually has the opposite effect. This timing very likely varies from person to person but I would be careful. Also it is probably a good idea to neutralize it after application with an alcohol wipe and then put on a soothing lotion or toner.
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 8:03 am      Reply with quote
What is the pH level on this peel? Usually they make the at-home peels safer by raising the pH. If you got a 30% peel at a spa, the pH would be around 1.5-2.5. That's pretty acidic. Whatever the pH, I would still follow the directions. You should never do a peel of that type more than once a week. The results that you get are not from the peel itself, but from your skin healing between peels. If you don't give your skin adeqate time to heal, you will most likely end up seeing negative results instead of positive ones.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
Advice noted! Very Happy

It's ph is 2.8 and it came with a neutralizing prep solution.

I'll just do it weekly.

I want my pores to be invisible! Am I barking up the wrong tree? Embarassed

I stop the retin-a when my skin flakes. I need to do it every other day or so, I guess.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 6:35 pm      Reply with quote
red77 wrote:
Advice noted! Very Happy

It's ph is 2.8 and it came with a neutralizing prep solution.

I'll just do it weekly.

I want my pores to be invisible! Am I barking up the wrong tree? Embarassed

I stop the retin-a when my skin flakes. I need to do it every other day or so, I guess.

That is a good idea to do the retin-a every other day or so. In time, your skin will probably be able to handle more.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks!

If you had large pores, what route would you take? I'm close to 53 and have very oily skin with few wrinkles (gotta love the oil somewhat!)
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
red77 wrote:
Thanks!

If you had large pores, what route would you take? I'm close to 53 and have very oily skin with few wrinkles (gotta love the oil somewhat!)

Maybe you should try the Dr. H CC, to help with your pores too! I always want to try it, but I have peanut allergy, so it wouldn't be good for me I don't think. Try using the CC morning and night after your cleanser...except if you are planning in do a glycolic peel that day, then I wouldn't bother. Keep using the retin-a at night, and increase when you can.

Another option would be a 10% daily glycolic peel. This is what I used to get rid of congested pores. I couldn't use it everyday at first, but now I love them and they keep my pores clear.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Faith, you're so--faithful! Very Happy

I'm almost done with my first tube of Dr. H's CC and I don't see it helping on my nose--but I think it's working on my chin.

I got the Skin Care Tool from Tweezerman and let me tell you it's made short order of many of my black heads! Shock It's a bit difficult to use on the tip of my nose but so far it's been great!

My chin's clogged pores are smaller but there are so darn many of them! Mad I've been using the Decleor Aromessence too and that's helping.

But it's the minimalization of the pores that I need. Hell, I think I need a whole new batch of skin! I squeezed my chin for years and years when I was younger and it's really bad.

I just don't know what route to take.

Can you suggest a 10% glycolic acid brand name? I'm a skin freak newbie Embarassed

Thanks again for being so helpful everyone!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 7:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have mixed skin, salicylic acid did work to clean out my pores. It's milder and you can use the 2-4% daily.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 01, 2005 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
Depending on the product I give different time ratings.

Cleansers I can tell within a few days if I like it. Treatment products (unless I have a reaction) I will give a month or two. Moisturizers I know within a week if they are for me.

Makeup I know immediately. I don't spend a lot of money on high end cosmetics. My HG is Lauren Huttons Face Disc. Other than LH I get most of my cosmetics at CVS. Love buying at CVS because if you don't like it or the color is not right you can bring it back. No questions asked. Very Happy

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
Scout
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 6:35 am      Reply with quote
Is there a site that does a rundown on all the different acids/peels? It's confusing to me Laughing

I'll have to give some of my products a longer chance to do their thing, for sure! Smile
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 6:45 am      Reply with quote
red77 wrote:

Can you suggest a 10% glycolic acid brand name? I'm a skin freak newbie Embarassed

Thanks again for being so helpful everyone!

I use MD Skincare AlphaBeta daily peels. There is also an Avon one which is so much cheaper, so I am going to try it for a month when this pack of MD is finished.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 6:55 am      Reply with quote
Thanks, Avon seems to have some great products,don't they ? Smile
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 6:59 am      Reply with quote
red77 wrote:
Thanks, Avon seems to have some great products,don't they ? Smile

I've never tried before, but my mom is liking their Anew cream...I know there are a few, but I have no clue what one she is using. Her skin is super soft though Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 02, 2005 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you again Smile
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:13 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |