Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml)
Your sensitive skin favourites?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Merch
5% products discount

Wed May 11, 2005 4:50 am      Reply with quote
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I'd like your advice on what basic skin care products I should try next.

I have very fair combination skin with permanent red blotches (thanks to much too much abrasive exfoliants used when young & innocent) and plenty of impurities. I have noticed that my skin feels much better when I'm using products targeted for dry and/or sensitive skin than when using oily/impure skin products that tend to dry out my skin.

What products or product ranges would you recommend for efficient and simple yet tender and calming skin care - cleanser, moisturiser and mask/exfoliator/both? I try to keep the routine as minimal as possible, since I've noticed my skin is much calmer when I'm not paying too much attention to it Smile

I've already tried:
- Dermalogica's Ultracalming cleanser (stays on skin, does not remove makeup properly)
- Murad's AHA/BHA exfoliation (even those tiny beads are too rough for my skin, or maybe it's the AHA/BHA)
- Avène Thermal Spring Water spray-on mist (dries out my skin).

Your opinions and experience are very much appreciated!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2005 5:14 am      Reply with quote
Try the Dr Hauschka range, you can get a tester tin. The range is so gentle on the skin and suitable for the most sensitive of skins, have a look in the EDS shopping part of the site. Very Happy
So luxurious to use and cheaper than Dermalogica, plus its all natural ingredients

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2005 7:06 am      Reply with quote
Hi,
I think Cetaphil's skin cleanser would be extremely gentle and effective on sensitive skin.

Thanks,
Katie
marmur1
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2005 7:10 am      Reply with quote
My skin has become very sensitive, and one of the things that I LOVE and bought after reading the reviews here is the Rosee Visage toner by Phytomer. It is very gentle and is just really lovely.

I currently have major breakout problems with my skin, so I don't want to pretend that I have it all figured out, but the other thing that has worked for me consistently is the Hydrating B5 Gel by Skinceuticals. Both have been very gentle.

Good luck, and I'm sure that others will have more suggestions for you! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2005 7:21 am      Reply with quote
My skin turns is very sensitive as well...I used to have horrible redness in my skin due to those exfoliating scrubs...and after using cleansers that killed my skin...I have settled down with Cetaphils Gentle Cleanser...it works well with my skin and makes my skin feel baby soft. If you do choose this cleanser, make you you don't get the kind for normal skin...it contains fragrance and turned my face really red:/ must be careful!

5% products discount

Wed May 11, 2005 7:51 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for your answers so far! I've heard of Dr. Hauschka and Phytomer before, but I've never tried them.

Queenkatez / purpleturtle, where do you purchase your Cetaphils-products? I've never heard of it before but it sounds interesting. Hope the products are available in Europe as well, or can be ordered here.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2005 7:53 am      Reply with quote
You can buy cetaphil at any drugstore in the U.S. for the most part. The cleanser runs for about $10. In my opinion, spending anything more than that for a basic cleanser is nonsense. If you don't carry it at stores over there, you can get it online atwww.cetaphil.com. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2005 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
Merch - if you didn't like Dermalogica's ultra calming cleanser than you probably won't like Cetaphil either. I've found they're VERY similar in texture (both white cream-gel combo) and results. Did you just tissue off the ultra calming or rinse it with a washer and warm water? I love it but I've found it works better for me with water.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2005 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
2 lines that I know of that have products specifically geared towards sensitive skin are: Yonka and Jurlique.

I have some products from both lines but they are not geared towards sensitive skin. Doesn't mean you couldnt use them though. Jurlique is "more organic" than Yonka, in my opinion. Each have their pros and cons. Hope you find something you like!!

Check outwww.saffronrouge.com for Jurlique/Dr. H. andwww.skinstore.com for Yonka

Lisa

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2005 8:48 pm      Reply with quote
I use Cetaphil for sensitive skin too. I tried Paula's Choice cleanser, One Step for oily/combo skin I think, it has no fragrance and is supposed to be non-irritating but it stung my face so I sent it back. The rest of her products I'm loving though the beta hydroxy lotion and liquid are the first of their kind that I have tried that don't sting my skin. If you don't need the antibacterial and oil control, her moisturizing line might good and it's reasonably priced. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 11, 2005 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Merch,

If you want a gentle cleanser, try getting one close to the pH of skin, which is slightly acidic, or a neutral pH one (at 5.5), and abrasives are definitely out. Don't disturb the natural acid mantle of the skin and your skin would be less reactive.

If you don't have oily skin, you don't even have to use a cleanser so often. It really isn't that necessary. Splash with tepid water to get rid of pollutants and pat dry with a clean towel. You've already noticed yourself that if you don't bother your skin so much, it is much calmer. Smile
Merch
5% products discount

Wed May 11, 2005 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks again, people... valuable tips! I will definitely check out Yonka and Jurlique.

Princesita, with Dermalogica's Ultracalming cleanser I've tried both rinsing it off and wiping it off with cotton wool. Rinsing leaves an icky layer that has to be removed (violently) with a toner, whereas wiping makes my face red. Still, I prefer the wiping method to rinsing, since it seems to be more effective for me. Am I wrong in assuming that Ultracalming cleanser contains alcohol? I've thrown away the list of ingredients, of course... Neutral But anyway, I'd like to discontinue using the stuff altoghether. And thanks for the info on Cetaphil - if it's anything like Ultracalming cleanser, I don't think I'm going to like it. I think I'm more into traditional gels OR creams Smile

Bad Bird, I only use cleanser at night, never in the morning. In the morning I usually just rinse my face while taking a shower and apply toner and moisturiser afterwards. Maybe the toner is too much, but I feel using just water doesn't remove all the "night dirt" Very Happy
princesita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 12, 2005 1:43 am      Reply with quote
I had a look on my bottle but it doesn't say and I've thrown out the list. That's understandable about wanting a gel OR a cream, lol. I've stuck with it mainly because I haven't found anything better. My skin tends to be oily as well and a lot of the sensitive products make me break out (stupid skin Mad ). Jurlique does have some divine stuff for us sensitive ones, you can buy it from EDS as well (prices are pretty good - not as cheap as if your in Australia like me! but still good). I believe their ultra sensitive range is alcohol free but double check that, I could be wrong http://www.jurlique.com/productsite/listproducts.asp?GroupID=60&ItemID=61. Good luck!!

Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:57 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |