Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

recomendation needed for sunscreen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 6:30 am      Reply with quote
Yes I know I live in the UK!!!!! Laughing
But I think I do need a sunscreen for my face, I'm very good at covering up the rest of myself but all I need is one day in the garden and thats it I'm burnt.
My skin is very fair and oily, I need a sunscreen to wear on my face during the day. My current routine is cleanse, tone and day oil (either Dr H or Jojoba oil).
The higher the facter the better (even sun block, I would consider) and the most important thing I'm on a budget Very Happy
What do you think of Pizz Bin oil free sunscreen (is that spelt correct)?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 7:56 am      Reply with quote
I have normal to oily skin, prone to breakouts and brown spots, and my dermatologist recommended Anthelios 60 from La Roche Posay. So far, my skin seems to like it.
Des
5% products discount

Mon May 16, 2005 8:57 am      Reply with quote
I agree with Linnie. I have combination skin and I just started using La Roche-Posay Anthelios 45. It is a "lait" which has a runnier texture than many creamy sunscreens/sunblocks. The price is not too bad. I paid CAD$23.
Linnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Actually, Anthelios 45 makes my skin oily. That is why my dermatologist recommended Anthelios 60. I know it is weird: the 45 is supposed to help oily skins but the 60 is better for me. Confused
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 12:11 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Rosebud,

Oil-free sunscreens are a myth, especially those with high protection factors.

You're in the UK so you'll have access to the best sunscreens like LRP, Bioderma, Avene etc. Smile
quacko
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
I have used La Roceh Posay Anthelios Fluide Extreme, 60, and I like it. It does have a shiny finish to it.

Another one that I have used and that I recommend is Shiseido Anessa SPF 50 (silver). It does have a matte finish.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
Rosebud, I've been wanting to try the Jan Marini sunscreen since so many on this forum have said it doesn't cause oiliness and rave about it. It's a LOT more expensive than the Eucerin Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30 I've been using, which IS a bit oily for me in warmer weather (it's okay in the winter when my skin is dryer, though). However, I just bought some Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream For Face SPF 55 while on vacation (my freckles were popping out even with the Eucerin -- I was outdoors a lot) and it's a little less pricey than the JM -- I paid $32 US dollars for it. I'm impressed. It doesn't cause oiliness and my freckles stopped darkening, plus it's more readily available, being a department store brand. It also contains zinc, which provides a physical block, but without the whitening I get with the Eucerin. I may still try the Jan Marini sometime (about $38 US dollars). I don't know why I cringe at paying high prices for sunscreens (they're probably the most important thing to use for the skin), yet I've paid so much more for other skincare products that have promised so much and ended up delivering so little. If I were you, the one beauty item I'd splurge on would be a sunscreen!!!
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 16, 2005 6:26 pm      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
Rosebud, I've been wanting to try the Jan Marini sunscreen since so many on this forum have said it doesn't cause oiliness and rave about it. It's a LOT more expensive than the Eucerin Moisturizing Lotion SPF 30 I've been using, which IS a bit oily for me in warmer weather (it's okay in the winter when my skin is dryer, though). However, I just bought some Shiseido Ultimate Sun Protection Cream For Face SPF 55 while on vacation (my freckles were popping out even with the Eucerin -- I was outdoors a lot) and it's a little less pricey than the JM -- I paid $32 US dollars for it. I'm impressed. It doesn't cause oiliness and my freckles stopped darkening, plus it's more readily available, being a department store brand. It also contains zinc, which provides a physical block, but without the whitening I get with the Eucerin. I may still try the Jan Marini sometime (about $38 US dollars). I don't know why I cringe at paying high prices for sunscreens (they're probably the most important thing to use for the skin), yet I've paid so much more for other skincare products that have promised so much and ended up delivering so little. If I were you, the one beauty item I'd splurge on would be a sunscreen!!!

If the suncreen does not have adaquate UVA protection that could be why you are still getting freckles. You could post the ingredients and ask Bad Bird...she will know for sure! Very Happy

Rosebud,
I have to agree with the others. La Roche Posay is the best. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 1:47 am      Reply with quote
Do any of you know if I can get any of these from Selfridges in Manchester:

*Bioderma
*Avene
*La Roche Posey

Or anywhere in Manchester centre?

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 2:11 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Do any of you know if I can get any of these from Selfridges in Manchester:

*Bioderma
*Avene
*La Roche Posey

Or anywhere in Manchester centre?

I've bought Avene products from Boots in the past. Just go to the largest branch of Boots you can find in Manchester and they should have a good Avene selection.
I'm not sure where you would find La Roche Posay in the UK. The official website gives a list of countries where they have an international presence and the UK isn't one of them (although Ireland is).

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 2:27 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Toe I liked the look of the Avene the most, if you don't mind me asking aprox how much am I looking at? I was thinking £10 now am I being optimistic Embarassed Wink
I really need to buy clothes at the moment Laughing
Also what SPF would you recomend I go for here in the UK and which one would be good for my very oily skin also do I use this every day or just when its sunnier?
One last question the Jane Iredale loose base acts as a sunscreen, do the bare escentual's also act as sunscreens, if so what SPF? I have a tub of Bisque sat doing nothing but if I could use that as a sunscreen I would be great Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 3:08 am      Reply with quote
I've never purchased any of the Avene sun products but I would think that £10 would be about right.
If I am going out in the sun (when it is sunny in the UK!) I wear SPF 60. I am very fair (with some freckles on nose and cheeks) and I burn really easily. It's just a cheap one from the Boots Soltan range but it is far too thick and greasy for me. I'm hoping I can find something more suitable before the sunny weather arrives. A gel would be better for my oily skin but the only face gels I can find are around SPF20.
You should be slapping on a high SPF cream/lotion everyday regardless of what the weather is like. I've been burnt before when the weather has been overcast and windy. Smile
During the winter I tend to use SPF 15.
Not sure what the SPF is in the BE and JI. I would still use an SPF cream under the mineral make-up. Wouldn't want to take any chances with your skin! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 5:54 am      Reply with quote
I had a look in the Jane Iredale pressed the SPF is 17 and in the loose the SPF is 20. It says on the site that the key ingredient that offers the sun protection is Titanium Dioxide followed by Zinc Oxide.
I tried to look for the ingredients of the Bare Essentuals Bisque and on one review it said it contained Titanium Dioxide, on another it said may contain Titanium Dioxide.
I think I will go with the Avene sunscreen at the highest I can find (60/65) has anyone used this range what do you think of it. Will it be OK on my oily skin and can I put my Dr Hauschka Normalising Day Oil over the top???

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 6:17 am      Reply with quote
Not sure about the Avene, but BE claims that their foundations are SPF 15. I am not sure if Bisque has any SPF...but the Summer Bisque is SPF 20.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 7:27 am      Reply with quote
I've been educated by Bad Bird and will order some LRP SPF60 Fluide Extreme!
Tangerine
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 7:39 am      Reply with quote
m.april wrote:
I've been educated by Bad Bird and will order some LRP SPF60 Fluide Extreme!

me too. Could someone recommend a site where I can get it from US with a reasonable price?
Linnie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 7:48 am      Reply with quote
I have been told that in the US you need a prescription to get the La Roche Posay products, but I don't know if it applies to sunscreens too.
I know of the Canadian Website feelbest.com that delivers worldwide.
Terihe
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 7:54 am      Reply with quote
ww.skincarelabs carries LRP sunscreens.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 8:16 am      Reply with quote
You can't get it in the US yet because Mexoryl (key ingredient) has not been approved by the FDA...yet.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Bad Bird and Faith
Am now looking at La Roche Posay the Anthelios range and Avene, the orange packaged ones.
This is as far as I've got would you be able to give me specific produts from both ranges that you would recomend, I can then just go into the store with the names Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 11:11 am      Reply with quote
Rosebud,

Yes, I was going to recommend the orange- packaged ones from Avene because those contain Tinsorb. In fact, since 2004, the orange ones contain both Tinosorb S and M. The white-packaged ones are purely physical. The SPF50+ comes in cream (quite heavy), tinted, lotion, emulsion and spray versions. Take your pick!

You can trywww.garden.co.uk orwww.bce-europe.com for both Avene and LRP.

Linnie - the prescription is for LRP's Biomedic range, not the usual LRP skincare and sunscreens. Smile
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 11:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Bad Bird, you must be exhausted - eveeryone asking your much needed advice Laughing
I have been on thewww.garden.co.uk and are these the avene in the orange packaging, I wasn't sure if it was yellow as the aftersun is definately orange....sorry I know its a dumb question.
Will the majority of the La Roche and Avene be ok on my oily skin, I don't want to break out.
Also what order do I apply moisturiser first the sunscreen or the other way round.
I am a little scared of having so much slapped on my face and clogging my pores, moisturiser has never done my skin any favours so I use a day oil . Does anyone else use a day oil and a sunscreen and if so how does it affect your skin?
Thankyou so much all for being patient with me

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 11:34 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Bad Bird, you must be exhausted - eveeryone asking your much needed advice Laughing

Will the majority of the La Roche and Avene be ok on my oily skin, I don't want to break out.
I like the look of the Avene compact do you just apply this like a pressed powder with a brush?
Also what order do I apply moisturiser first the sunscreen or the other way round.
I am a little scared of having so much slapped on my face and clogging my pores, moisturiser has never done my skin any favours so I use a day oil . Does anyone else use a day oil and a sunscreen and if so how does it affect your skin?
I also noticed that you can get cream and milk, can these both be used on the face and again which is best for us oilies?
Thankyou so much all for being patient with me

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 12:23 pm      Reply with quote
Yeah ... I'm now a permanent resident on the EDS forum site, and I'm starting to get nightmares about drowning in a pool of sunscreen. Nevermind, answering questions on the forum gives me a purpose in life, alleviates my boredom! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yes, the Avenes in Garden are the orange ones.

One warning - most LRP and Avene sunscreens are pretty oily. Whether or not they will break you out depends on your skin. I am spot prone, and in the beginning when I used LRP, I broke out with small spots which disappear quickly. Somehow now, my skin has adapted and I don't break out at all.

The Avene compact is a cream-to-powder product and to me, the shade looks very dark. I don't recommend it unless you get to try it first.

Usually, you apply sunscreen over moisturiser because you don't want moisturiser to displace the sunscreen. If you have oily skin, you can skip the moisturiser. If you don't want to give up your day oil, apply less, let it absorb, and then blot up excess. Then apply sunscreen.

The different versions are all formulated for the face, but if you're oily, go for milk or fluide etc - the more water content the better. Also, oiliness is a small price to pay (I'm starting to sound like a broken down record - I've said this so many times) - just dab a bit of cornstarch to matte the shine. Smile
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 17, 2005 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
Deleted repeat post.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:44 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |