Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Read any good books lately???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 1:21 am      Reply with quote
I have finished reading every book I own here, and need to place an order with amazon for some more. I was wondering if anyone had read anything great lately?? TBH, I usually read really girly books, like the Shopaholic books, The Botox Diaries, Bergdorf Blondes...etc. I like these because I know they are funny and entertaining, but I am not opposed to reading anything.

I should mention I can't read anything scary (cause then I can't sleep at night), or too sad (I read on the train, and it is really embarressing if I start crying) Very Happy Thanks Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 2:12 am      Reply with quote
the fortress of solitude by johnathan lethem. By turns funny and sad, with a weird twist. It is the best book I have read in ages.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 4:18 am      Reply with quote
I read anything. I have more books than a library in my house & I reread them. I spend a fortune but I do buy a lot of second hand books and order from Abebooks. I do still buy new books. My favourite Romance books are by Johanna Lyndsay, Jude Devereaux & Sandra Hill. My freind says they are pure ------------. I also like biographies.Jill Mansell etc I could go on & on. If a book makes me laugh or cry I enjoy it more. I have been know to cry or laugh out loud when reading somewhere public. I don't care it's better than watching a film.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 4:31 am      Reply with quote
I just finished "Don't Stop The Carnaval" by Herman Wouk. This is required reading for anybody who thinks it would be fun to start a business on an island in the tropics as a retirement project.
A couple of my favorites are "Beach Music" by Pat Conroy, "Gold Coast" by Nelson DeMille.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 4:44 am      Reply with quote
hmm. I'm not a big fiction fan but I'm trying to widen that aspect. I've signed up for an open university degree so I've been mostly reading history.

But writers I do like are people like, Iain Banks, Conan Doyle, John Wyndam.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 6:07 am      Reply with quote
oooo freefall2 I'd love to raid your library Laughing
I like anything that challenges me, I love my clessics recently read Graham Green - The Comedians and one of my favourites was 'I Claudius'.
I love love love The Oddessy - this has everything adventure, beautiful women, gorgeous, hunky men, sex oh I could go on and on.
Have just started to read Carlos Castaneda's The Teachings of Don Juan, A Yaqui way of Knowledge - all about arcane knowledge gained through using psychedelic drugs, yes like peyote and jimson weed. Believe it of not it was on my mother-in-law's book shelf Shock I love anything like this, oh and another was by Daniel Pinchbeck - Breaking Open the head another good recreational drugs read Very Happy Shhh
I like reading health and nuitrition books too - Not on the label was a good read and I also like books written from a social aspect, I can't remember the particular name but one I read was where the writer (she writes for the guardian news paper) spent a week living in a council flat, tying to survive on benefits.
Am after reading Piers Morgan's books - looks like a good old trashy read Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 9:16 am      Reply with quote
OK Rosebud, when you come borrow my shoes you are welcome to browse the library.

We read constantly because we don't have tv. When we travel back to the States and Canada our first stop is always a book store. When people are coming to visit and ask what we'd like them to bring the answer is always "anything good you've read recently".

More favorites:
"The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett
Anything by James Lee Burke, Michael Connelly, Larry McMurtry (especially "Lonesome Dove" and "Terms of Endearment")
Other Nelson DeMille's I loved are "The General's Daughter", "Up Country", "Charm School", "Plum Island".

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 10:34 am      Reply with quote
I loved "Pillars of the earth". I have also read all the "Clan of the Cave bears" books.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
Reading now: THE CLOSERS - Michael Connelly

I just finish reading:

1.) The Society - Michael Palmer
2.) Prince of Fire - Daniel Silva
3.) Mounday Morning - Kathy Reich

While books on queu are:

1.) 4th of July - James Patterson
2.) Exact Revenge - Tim Green
3.) The Motive - Lescroart, John T.

Whew...!!! Anxious

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 4:57 pm      Reply with quote
I tend to like classical. My fav is Brothers Karamazov (Doestoevsky)real angst and great writing. I like mysteries Doyle, Hillerman etc.
Short stories by Saki, S. Maugham and I love the Canadian author Alice Munro.

Also most of Fannie Flaggs book especially the neighbor Dorothy ones (Welcome to the World, Baby Girl).

I also just read two light books that many here would probably like and if you liked 'shopaholic' you should like these.

First "Cause Celeb" by the person who wrote Bridget Jones (Fielding). This is another ditzy girl makes good story. It is funny/romantic but with a bit more serious twinge to it. There are some funny characterizations.

The second is "the Devil Wears Prada" by Lauren Weisberger. This is veiled account of her being an assistant at Vogue and is not the most subtle story (no trick ending here) and it can be tedious in parts but it is hysterically funny at points and the characterizations of theses people are on the mark and fun to read. It makes it funnier when one of the NY Times Reviewers was so aggrieved because it didn't portray the reason her also former boss had to be such a rotten person.
The push to keep everyone in the company size 0-2 is simply a way of preserving beauty in the world! So funny and warped.
Pinup Girl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
One of my best friends just lent me a book she just finished reading called "He's Just Not that into You...The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys". It's written by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo, both who were on the writing staff for Sex and the City. Although I'm not having any guy troubles at the moment...I can definitely relate to this book from past experiences or from my friends' experiences. It's very easy reading, to the point, and I found myself laughing outloud many times...my boyfriend just kept rolling his eyes, but I ended up reading some parts to him and he got a good chuckle from it too! Smile

Some other great books I've read are "Still Life with Woodpecker" by Tom Robbins, "Fight Club" & "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk, "House of Leaves: A Novel" by Mark Z. Danielewski (which I'm still reading), "Dog Run" by Arthur Nersesian and ALL of his other books, & "The Diary of Anais Nin" Vols. 1-4...to name a few!
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks everyone, for all the suggestions so far!! I am going to choose titles randomly, and see what happens! Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 19, 2005 9:36 pm      Reply with quote
I thought of another great one..."Prophet" by Frank Peretti. Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 12:09 am      Reply with quote
faith - Middlesex (Jeffrey Eugenides) and The Map of Love (Ahdaf Soueif) are books I've read recently that may meet your criteria. So many great books are sad or very disturbing in parts (wept out loud reading Lonesome Dove), that I hesitate to name many others! Since you live in Tokyo, I wonder if you ever read Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden) -- it's kind of girly. On a similar note, there's an erotic book, The Pillow Boy of the Lady Onogoro (Allison Fell) that I enjoyed. Have you tried Le Divorce, Le Mariage, and L'Affaire (Diane Johnson)? They're definitely girly.

An all-time favorite is Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez). Also, The House of the Spirits (Isabel Allende).

You may also enjoy things by Henry James, Edith Wharton and Thomas Hardy, if you haven't tried them yet. I like Graham Greene too, but he may not fall into the genre you like.

I read Pillars of the Earth a long time ago but I remember it -- it was a fun, pop-fiction read, especially if you like historical novels (lazy way to glean a bit of history).

I'm really not very well-read, but if I happen to think of any more that you may like, I'll let you know!
Emperor
5% products discount

Sun May 22, 2005 3:04 am      Reply with quote
I'm not reading any books at the moment, however I will begin writing one this summer... Wink
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry Emporor but you are going to have to elaborate Laughing What are you going to be writing?

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 11:06 am      Reply with quote
ok well one of my all time favorites because it is so different and really pure is the book:
Sister of my Heart by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. Its an indian author.. but its great.. about two friends and their journey of life together its AMAZING.. a MUST read
maddy
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 1:08 am      Reply with quote
Love 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho, also 'Handmaid's Tale' by Maragaret Attwood. Love to read tho- I have heaps of favourite ones. Hope you get some good ones Faith
Mabsy

Tue May 24, 2005 4:23 am      Reply with quote
I don't usually read much for entertainment/relaxation because after I read all the articles, theses and textbooks for work I really don't feel like reading any more (sad but true). But after reading The Da Vinci code (in a matter of days which was rather incredible) I got all of Dan Brown's other books and read them too. I then figured I must be entering some sort of reading phase so I got a different book and still haven't finished it Laughing I guess I like Dan Brown's books....

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 5:01 am      Reply with quote
m.april, I love Love in the time! Hundred years of solitude is my all time fave book and it is the only one I regularly re-read. I liked the Allende book, but she doesn't really do it for me like Marquez! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Maddy I studies Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale for my A Levels - I second that this is a fantastic book, normally when you have had to pick a book to pieces you grow to hate it but not this one.
Also I have a copy of The Alcamist on the bookshelf, have never read it though, I may give it a go Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 11:40 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Maddy I studies Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale for my A Levels - I second that this is a fantastic book, normally when you have had to pick a book to pieces you grow to hate it but not this one.

Me too! Although I think it was for my GCSEs. hmm Christ, that seems like yeeeaaaars ago...

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 24, 2005 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
guapagirl - you're more of a man than I am Wink. I could only get through One Hundred Years of Solitude once (and barely -- so many Joses to try to keep straight)! It's a magical book that's on MY re-read list. But I don't know if faith would like it -- it made my poor old head swim at times. And I mean that literally: I was reading part of it while in a hot tub in Palm Springs, California and got up only to pass out! I think people must've thought I was a depressive, reading a book with such a title. But they couldn't have known how funny it is!

faith - I wonder if you'd like Louise Erdrich. She's a Native American descendant who writes about Native Americans in a poignant but humorous way. Two I've read by her and like are Love Medicine and Tales of Burning Love.

Another favorite (and on my re-read list) is Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. He may be an a**hole but he did a fantastic job on this one!

Now faith, if you regularly ride trains, there's a funny, quirky book called 253 by Geoff Ryman. It's about passengers on a commuter train!

Now I promise to stop.
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 8:30 am      Reply with quote
I tend to like sad books so I'm not much help. I like Amy Tan, I own all of Margaret Atwood's books I love her! Especially Orynx and Crake weird and cool but sad too. The Life of Pi by Yan Martel was an incredible book, it's my current fav.

You probably have already read them but if not, try the Harry Potter series, entertaining for sure and not too sad. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 9:21 am      Reply with quote
yes, I have read them, and I love them (Harry Potter). I have read up to number 5, and I am waiting for the next one!!

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:55 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |