Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vie Collection Mela White Radiance Brightening Essence (150 ml / 5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Tighten & Lift Peptight™ 360˚ Tightening Eye Serum (30 ml / 1 floz)
Probs with thinning skin--are there products that can help?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
kookykitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2005 12:03 pm      Reply with quote
Hello everyone! Smile

I've been on the Obagi for 3 weeks now and I've been paying closer attention to my face. I notice that my skin has become very very thin. Is this reversible? Is there a product or treatment that can make it thicker and plumper? I am worried that the Retin A has made it very thin. I should also note that I've used Retin A for a long time in the past to battle acne although I haven't used it again until recently on Obagi.

TIA! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2005 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
hi, there is a product by syence skincare called Servital active tissue defense which is supposed to thicken the skin (www.syence.com), hths.
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2005 2:30 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin C, Coenzyme Q (and a newer analogue I forget the name) and green tea have all been shown to thicken skin. Retin A can thin skin so it is a little iffy to use around your eyes).
Mert
5% products discount

Fri May 20, 2005 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Try the SC aha+c serum, or any serum that contains glycolic acid as the active ingredient. Glycolic acid has shown to thicken skin, but you need to use a very good sunscreen agent with a high spf when you are using aha products, but I asume you are using a good high spf Sunscreen, as you stated that you are using retin a and obagi line.
kookykitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 20, 2005 11:51 pm      Reply with quote
Hello! Smile
Thanks so much for the recs, ladies! Smile I've written them all down and I'm going to check them out...

Gina, have you tried this before? I'm going to e-mail them for an ingredients list. Do you know if it is non-comedogenic? It sounds very promising! Thanks! Smile

Sharky, when you mentioned Green Tea, do you mean drinking it or applying it directly to the skin? Vitamin C sounds good--I know Obagi makes a Vitamin C product--C Clarify or something or another. I will look into maybe incorporating it into my Obagi Nu Derm system. Thanks so much! Smile

Mert, do you know if Glycolic peels will thicken the skin or is it just the topical leave on serums? Also, what does SC stand for in SC aha+serum? Yup, I use the Obagi sunscreen--SPF35 as part of the Nu Derm system. Thanks so much! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2005 11:00 am      Reply with quote
Drinking green tea is good for your skin but the study I read used a concentrated liquid (10tea bags to 1 c boiling water)applied to the skin twice a day. This is like the ACV toner posted on the DIY sticky.
kookykitty
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2005 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
sharky wrote:
Drinking green tea is good for your skin but the study I read used a concentrated liquid (10tea bags to 1 c boiling water)applied to the skin twice a day. This is like the ACV toner posted on the DIY sticky.

Hiya, Sharky! Smile
Thanks so much! Smile I went out and bought a big container of Arizona Green tea iced tea w/ honey and ginseng and I've been drinking that lately. I also picked up some Green Tea bags so I will take your advice and make a toner out of it. I'm wondering if I could replace my Obagi Toner with it?

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2005 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
Retin-A (tretinoin) thickens your skin. Constant AHA use sometimes has been shown to thin skin. Copper peptides and matrixyl (palmitoyl pentapeptide) are skin thickeners as well. C serum will stimulate collagen synthesis thus firming the skin. Although Retin-A can cause broken capillaries (which could lead one to believe their skin is thinning), it does just the opposite.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 21, 2005 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
betterat40 wrote:
Retin-A (tretinoin) thickens your skin. Constant AHA use sometimes has been shown to thin skin. Copper peptides and matrixyl (palmitoyl pentapeptide) are skin thickeners as well. C serum will stimulate collagen synthesis thus firming the skin. Although Retin-A can cause broken capillaries (which could lead one to believe their skin is thinning), it does just the opposite.

Everything I have read states the opposite. Where did you learn this?

5% products discount

Sun May 22, 2005 11:09 am      Reply with quote
me to since when did retin a thicken the skin, that is rubbish, any vitamin a derivative apart from beta carotene thins the skin...
robbojnr
5% products discount

Sun May 22, 2005 2:03 pm      Reply with quote
just found this out from a woman in selfridges london who is a beauty therapist at the decleour counter, she is studying for a comestic degree fascinating i know, but i have had the same problem as a result of using retinyl palmitate anyway she says that medicalia,www.medicalia.com would be best for the likes of you and me as it is used on peoples skins post op after laser resurfacing ...check it out im off to buy some tomorrow if i can find a supplier in london cause my skin has been driving me nuts for 3 months...
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Here's just one article from PubMed talking about how retin-a increases collagen production thus firming/thickening the skin. There are many, many others as well.

Cutis. 2005 Feb;75(2 Suppl):10-3; discussion 13. Related Articles, Links

The mechanism of action of topical retinoids.

Kang S.

University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, USA.

UV irradiation of human skin sets in motion a complex sequence of events that causes damage to the dermal matrix. When topical tretinoin is applied to human skin, any collagen deficiency existing in photoaged skin is remedied at least partially, and the skin is primed to prevent further matrix degradation induced by solar UV. Retinoids, therefore, have become essential in the treatment and prevention of photoaging. This article describes the mechanism of action of retinoids, including how they are mediated through retinoic acid receptors (RARs) and retinoid X receptors (RXRs), how they block inflammation mediators, and how production of procollagen is increased to augment the formation of types I and III collagen. Three naturally occurring retinoids are reviewed.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 6:15 pm      Reply with quote
I agree that it does promote collagen production. I think that as it increases cell turnover and increases collagen, it is also seriously exfoliating and sloughing off layers of skin.

Along with its uses to treat acne and wrinkles, Retin-A is also used to treat people with thickened skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
I just want to chime with betterat40. Couldn't have said it better myself

There are lots of articles that support the use or retin-a and copper.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 22, 2005 6:57 pm      Reply with quote
A plastic surgeon once told me that Retin-A created an appearance of diminished lines because retinoids essentially irritate the dermis and cause a reaction known as edema, which is basically fluid retention, or swelling.

I can't tolerate Retin-A, Renova, etc. They were too strong for me. My skin always felt somewhat chapped, and would get dry and crusty patches. Further exfoliation was out of the question because my skin was already inflamed.

I've used OTC retinoids like Roc, which are much gentler. I can't say if any of these products ever really plumped my skin to a noticeable degree, though. I'm still looking for a product that will!
robbojnr
5% products discount

Sun May 22, 2005 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
i still disagree with you on the retinol, my aussie naturopath friends said that in australia it has been taken out of so many products for the simple reason that it was causing skin pigmentation, cause thinning of the skin...you don't see dr.hauskca using it
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 23, 2005 8:27 am      Reply with quote
Yes Retinoids definitely lead to photosensitivity and hyperpigmentation so you need to use a sunscreen. I do not use them under my eyes. This is because they can cause skin thinning particularly in sensitive people. Although retinoids can stimulate collagen growth they also act as a peel and thin the top skin as with gylcolic acid and other peelers a little can be good for skin thickness but too much will harm your skin and cancel out any long term benefits. Everyone is different.

There are plenty of articles available on MEDLINE documenting the skin thinning. This is one of the first.
"Retinoids also induce a mild thinning of the stratum corneum." Sykes NL, Webster GF. Acne: a review of optimum treatment. Drugs. 1994;48:59-70.
There are also articles on collagen promotion. I use retinoids (Renovea, Retin-A and Torzac) on my laugh lines but not around my eyes because the skin is thin there.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
I see this thread is over 5 years old, is there any new evidence? Does Retin A thin the skin and aggrevate rosecea (slight rosecea)?

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
rileygirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
bombshellbella wrote:
I see this thread is over 5 years old, is there any new evidence? Does Retin A thin the skin and aggrevate rosecea (slight rosecea)?

Retin A thins the outer layers, but thickens the inner layers, which is what you want for anti-aging. I am not sure about Retin A and rosacra, but would definitely tell you to see a derm and get their advice.
huffman07

Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:28 am      Reply with quote
Skin thinning is one predictable consequence of aging. As people age, their bodies produce less of the components that support skin health and development.Add fish oil or flax seed supplements to your diet. According to Ray Sahelian, M.D., a study published in the September 2008 edition of the "British Journal of Nutrition" found that some conditions that lead to thin skin might improve by adding fish oil or flax seed to the diet. Both elements are available as dietary supplements. Follow the instructions provided with the product for proper dosage.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Emu oil apparently thickens skin.
seasondanielle

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
YES!RETIN-A THINS YOUR SKIN IN FACT ANY LINE CONTAING AHA,LACTIC ACIDS AND VITAMIN A WILL THIN YOU OUT.But there is hope as we age we naturally thin due to lack of collagen and elastin as well as fat in the tissue, it seems that products listed above will help reduce fine lines and such however in the long run your causing your skin to age faster in result you need more,better products.they are old news now, there are products out there that actually thicken skin-in essence popping the wrinkles back out and adding to fullness,stimulating collagen,elastin and increasing glucose utilization-this actually reverses aging naturally and your skin heals itself without damaging chemicals and acids. try 302 skincare or edimi skin care I'm sure there are others but 302 skincare is the best Ive used,not suitable for all clients but its organic,acid free and will not cause further damage-i love dermatologist they have their place but i often see the end result of someone being over prescribed acids and vitamin a-often times the client was prescribed these products without being told of their side-effects or that there are other,safer options.

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
what about copper peptitde. Does it help to thicken up skin?
jasminerosey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:40 pm      Reply with quote
try touching your skin, via different kinds of facial massage.

71 years, primarily raw living food 35 years(vegan 45 years) herbal tea decoctions, homeopathy, TCM, facial massage, facial exercises, vacu-lifting, gua aha, shiatsu/acupressure, intention, home microcurrrent
ljk
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
I think Vaculift could help (the Large Face one gives amazing suction, though doesn't do round the eyes).

I definitely feel as if my skin has gotten thicker from using it over the last 18 months or so. And it's great with OCM. Try the ebay listings if you're interested in getting one cheap.

Louise,45,UK.Sunscreen Face/Body L/Term!OCM(Castor/Carrier Oil,Vaculift),MUAC 12.5%,18% TCA,Working Up To SkinObsession 25% TCA/Jessner's.Ageless,Dr Roller,Retin-A 0.05% & 0.1%,AAging Lightstim,CP Serum,Dermawand,Vaculift Face 2 Body 2,Pretika Sonic Brush.Microfibre Cloth.Tua Viso(Broken Sad),Palovia (Started 7 April 2011!).
System
Automatic Message
Mon May 13, 2024 9:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) StriVectin Tighten & Lift Peptight™ 360˚ Tightening Eye Serum (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |