Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Product Storage??
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 12:16 am      Reply with quote
As summer is approaching, and it is getting hotter and more humid, especially where I am, I don't know what to do. My apartment does not have A/C, and gets to be over 35 C (95 F). I am really worried about my serums, especially, but also my mineral make-up. Last summer I wasn't using these things... The packages on some of these products say store between 15-30 degrees celcius. Do you think I can put them in the fridge??

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 1:59 am      Reply with quote
I keep stuff in the fridge, especially when it is stuff that I don't use at the moment. If your mineral make up is in powder form that may be a problem because of condensation making it damp when you take it out. Maybe store in an air tight box with silica gel beads?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 2:26 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
I keep stuff in the fridge, especially when it is stuff that I don't use at the moment. If your mineral make up is in powder form that may be a problem because of condensation making it damp when you take it out. Maybe store in an air tight box with silica gel beads?

Good suggestions for the mineral makeup! Thank you Very Happy

I am off to make room in the fridge!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 4:10 am      Reply with quote
faith wrote:
As summer is approaching, and it is getting hotter and more humid, especially where I am, I don't know what to do. My apartment does not have A/C, and gets to be over 35 C (95 F).
Nevermind your serums!! How the hell do YOU manage not to spoil or melt?? During July and August in TX, 95 F heat is consider a cool spell (although I must say that we’re already reaching the high 90s here and its so early in the season yet). My friends who live up in the northern U.S. are always astonished with how Texans manage to endure such claustrophobic heat and humidity every summer, but I’m always shocked when they have unusual heatwaves up north because most of my friends don’t have A/C in their homes or automobiles, so I consider them to be made of much sterner stuff than the average Texan. You want to know our secret for enduring summertime down here? We never leave our air conditioned homes or cars!!!!!!!! Faith, you have my utmost respect and admiration for being able to live in a hot climate w/ one of – IMHO – the necessities of life: air conditioning.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 7:40 am      Reply with quote
carekate wrote:
faith wrote:
As summer is approaching, and it is getting hotter and more humid, especially where I am, I don't know what to do. My apartment does not have A/C, and gets to be over 35 C (95 F).
Nevermind your serums!! How the hell do YOU manage not to spoil or melt?? During July and August in TX, 95 F heat is consider a cool spell (although I must say that we’re already reaching the high 90s here and its so early in the season yet). My friends who live up in the northern U.S. are always astonished with how Texans manage to endure such claustrophobic heat and humidity every summer, but I’m always shocked when they have unusual heatwaves up north because most of my friends don’t have A/C in their homes or automobiles, so I consider them to be made of much sterner stuff than the average Texan. You want to know our secret for enduring summertime down here? We never leave our air conditioned homes or cars!!!!!!!! Faith, you have my utmost respect and admiration for being able to live in a hot climate w/ one of – IMHO – the necessities of life: air conditioning.

Laughing I do melt!! I have to walk 20 minutes to the train station too, and I seriously almost die! I am getting tougher each summer though. The thing is, is I keep thinking I am not going to stay here and that I am ready to go home, so every summer since I moved in this apartment, I always think "It's just one summer"..."not worth the money for just one summer"...Really, this is my last summer!!! And the train and work and freezing the A/C is so strong...it is really just sleeping that is problematic. Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 8:50 am      Reply with quote
I don’t know if you’ve ever tried this, but my friends up north say that when it’s too hot to sleep, they’ll take their sheets off the bed and wet them down and then put them back on and sleep on top of the sheets with a fan blowing on them. They say it makes it more bearable. Another trick to keep cool sans air conditioning is to get a really big block of ice and blow a fan across it – presto, instant air conditioning! I’m not sure how practical these ideas are, but I thought I’d share them with you just in case....if I were in your shoes, I’d be walking around like a complete zombie because I can’t sleep unless my bedroom is the same temperature as the penguin exhibit at the zoo!! Seriously, I like my bedroom frigid year-round!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 8:56 am      Reply with quote
I have tried the ice in front of the fan...it does help a lot. I sleep with frozen hot water bottles too! The sheet thing wouldn't really work for me here...I have a traditional Japanese futon and I have a feeling it would mold if I tried that. Mold is the other serious problem here in the summer!! We have to buy these things that suck moisture out of the air and put them in the closets so our clothes don't go moldy...REALLY FUN in summer in Japan!!!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 10:16 am      Reply with quote
I don't think I will ever complain about our British summers again Laughing
It's scorching here if it hits 25C!!!!!! I'm the same I love a freezing cold bedroom and a heavy quilt, the boyf on the other hand loves a very warm bedroom so on his half he has about 3 hot water bottles Laughing
Also if we go abroad I am terrible in the heat, he loves it, I can't move. One year, I think we were only in Spain and it was so sunny when we got there I litterally could not see for two days - that was with sunglasses on. He is very good to me now, we only go away out of season Laughing
I can handle 25Celcious and that's about it - Faith, Carekate how do you cope???????

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 26, 2005 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
I don't think I will ever complain about our British summers again Laughing
It's scorching here if it hits 25C!!!!!! I'm the same I love a freezing cold bedroom and a heavy quilt, the boyf on the other hand loves a very warm bedroom so on his half he has about 3 hot water bottles Laughing
Also if we go abroad I am terrible in the heat, he loves it, I can't move. One year, I think we were only in Spain and it was so sunny when we got there I litterally could not see for two days - that was with sunglasses on. He is very good to me now, we only go away out of season Laughing
I can handle 25Celcious and that's about it - Faith, Carekate how do you cope???????

I guess your body just adjusts!! Its weird. I used to think that Toronto had humid summers, but it is so mild in Toronto. If I go home in the summer I am so comfortable now. Laughing It isn't the heat as much as the himidity that bothers me, but there is nothing you can do. Just lots of leave in, and keep my hair off my body...ohhhhh! and lots of cold showers!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 4:32 am      Reply with quote
OMG!!! I just converted 25C into farenheit, which is 77 degrees. I’m sitting here laughing like a fiend because in July and August, we’re lucky if it gets down to 77 degrees AT NIGHT!!!! I had a English girl from another messageboard I belong to email me the other day, telling me that she’s going to be attending a conference here in Austin and wanted to know what the weather will be like so she knows what to pick. I told her to bring the lightest weight clothing she owns, but I have a feeling the poor girl is going to just melt into a puddle the second she steps off her plane!!! Poor thing, she’s in for the shock of her life....

Regarding the question of how I cope, the answer is: NOT VERY WELL!! I don’t go outside in the summer time if I can at all avoid it, and if the A/C in my house or car goes out, then I become a basketcase! Seriously, even 15 minutes outside in August can bring one periously close to heatstroke. I’ve come close to heatstroke a couple of times, they call it “heat exhaustion,” and it’s not very fun. But the people I feel sorriest for are the poor guys who are working road construction crews during the summer. I can’t even imagine how hot it must be on that pavement when they’re pouring fresh, hot tar and asphalt when it’s 105 degrees outside....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Many moons ago when I lived in OZ before A/C was invented I remember 'us kids' used to sleep in the bathroom on the cold tiles. It was the only way.
We also used to get up and get in the pool to cool down. Oh how I miss those days.
I will also have you know 77 is hot.LOL.

Fri May 27, 2005 6:59 am      Reply with quote
faith - we're actually heading into winter here but in summer the house regularly get to 35 deg Celsius. I do store some products in the fridge (mainly my Eminence Organics masks and anything else that is natural) but the rest of the stuff is in the bathroom. I have not had any issues at all with my Jane Iredale makeup going bad or anything of the sort. The Jane Iredale Circle Delete concealer (which is a very creamy formulation) does get a bit of condensation on it but it does not seem to affect it. My suggestion would be to store some of your skincare in the fridge or hidden deep in drawers in your bathroom (my bathroom tends to be cooler). The mineral makeup powders I wouldn't worry about although I'd say it's important to keep them tightly capped to keep the humidity out.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
faith - we're actually heading into winter here but in summer the house regularly get to 35 deg Celsius. I do store some products in the fridge (mainly my Eminence Organics masks and anything else that is natural) but the rest of the stuff is in the bathroom. I have not had any issues at all with my Jane Iredale makeup going bad or anything of the sort. The Jane Iredale Circle Delete concealer (which is a very creamy formulation) does get a bit of condensation on it but it does not seem to affect it. My suggestion would be to store some of your skincare in the fridge or hidden deep in drawers in your bathroom (my bathroom tends to be cooler). The mineral makeup powders I wouldn't worry about although I'd say it's important to keep them tightly capped to keep the humidity out.

Thanks Mabsy! What about your C serum? Smile

Fri May 27, 2005 7:39 am      Reply with quote
faith wrote:

I keep mine in the bathroom (in a drawer or under the sink so it's in the dark and in a cooler place). I try to use up the serums quickly so I'm not too worried about them going off like I am with masks that I might have for a year or so. I do know that some people keep their vit C in the fridge but the problem with me is that if I put a skincare item that I use regularly into the fridge - I will no longer be using it regularly. I will simply forget to use it sometimes.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 27, 2005 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
faith wrote:

I keep mine in the bathroom (in a drawer or under the sink so it's in the dark and in a cooler place). I try to use up the serums quickly so I'm not too worried about them going off like I am with masks that I might have for a year or so. I do know that some people keep their vit C in the fridge but the problem with me is that if I put a skincare item that I use regularly into the fridge - I will no longer be using it regularly. I will simply forget to use it sometimes.

Thanks again...I think I will just store my extras in the fridge Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 31, 2005 12:58 am      Reply with quote
Carekate: I know what you mean. I live in Phoenix and it gets disgustingly hot. People always say "but you don't have the high humidity"-usually anyway and that is a big blessing, but ya know 115 is still 115. I was here for that record day in June where it was 122. Humidity or not that is hot. But like you folks in Texas, we live in our air-conditioned homes, cars, work, and malls. My hubby says anyone with their windows rolled down automatically has the right of way while driving. I remember being post college poor driving a car with no air-conditioning out here. But I still shudder when my mom wants me to come back home to Kentucky in the summer to visit. It is humid there and can hit 100 and air-conditioning is still not super common. I run from that combination just as you were describing it even though I grew up there. My brother laughed at me the other day when he asked when I was coming home for a visit and I told him when the weather cooled off. Meaning theirs not mine. I will be busy here snuggled up to my air-conditioning unless I want to run out and fry an egg on the sidewalk for kicks and then run back in. In some twisted way, I have become a heat wimp even though I pretty much live in the country's version of temperature hell.

I'm completely off topic above, but when I did live in high heat, no a/c, under counter or even in the back of pantries are almost always somewhat cooler and darker. If the refrigerator is actually too cool for them, your serums should be fine in these sorts of places unless the heat really gets up there. If you have any sort of basement area, that is probably the best place. Searching out the cooler areas of a house and even a part of a room being it in the basement or regular living area rooms would probably be helpful just in case if you have something really sensitive that you can't put in the fridge or regulate with the great suggestion for the silica gel beads Guapagirl mentions above. These other thoughts are a bit old-fashioned, but if your options were extra lousy on a real heatwave day when you needed it, they would help somewhat. I think skincare and even some medical companies have come to assume that we all have A/C anymore as well.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:08 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |