Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
vit C at night???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2005 9:12 am      Reply with quote
Is this a complete waste to use at night Confused

I like to keep my day routine simple and just use a good moisturizer with sunscreen and use richer products at night Smile Don't really like the whole layering thing, want one product on at a time. Does the vit C have any sunblocking effect Question
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2005 10:04 am      Reply with quote
No, you can use vitamin c at night. You'll find a few people on this forum who are adament about using it in the AM, but recent research at the University of Taipei has shown that using topical vitamin c at night stimulates almost twice as much collagen synthesis as using it during the day. As for the other benefits of vitamin c, it remains active in the skin at therapuetic levels for up to 72 hours. Also, using topical vitamin c in conjunction with an SPF of 30 has shown to boost the effectiveness of the sunscreen by as much as 82%. So it really doesn't matter if you use it at night or in the morning - it's really a matter of preference.

5% products discount

Sat May 28, 2005 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
I've been trying to use Emergin C serum at night, but by morning my skin has all sorts of under the surface pre-blemish bumps, particularly on my forehead...Arrgh!!! Any advice on combating this problem? I never though of myself as an oily skinned gal, so this comes as a bit of a shock.

--Leslie
MaryR
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2005 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
I agree, it is all personal choice. I think that many people choose day is because some products, such as those containing glycolic acid or retinals are better to use at night due to increased sun sensitivity.
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2005 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
but recent research at the University of Taipei has shown that using topical vitamin c at night stimulates almost twice as much collagen synthesis as using it during the day

Wow, I learn something new everyday. C at night for me now! Thanks so much pbsadhaka Very Happy

As I am getting older I realize my biggest beauty secret is smile more and frown less. Be aware that wrinkles do not make a person unattractive. Cynicism, unforgiveness, anger and jealousy are the real culprits. Sixty something Smile
lassie1234
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2005 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
what kind of vita c are you talking about. i know nothing of it..dont know where to find it. i keep hearing about it . maybe would like to try it.well i do have some nerve even asking Rolling Eyes i just got done posting ILL NEVER USE ANOTHER THING Exclamation but i always read about vita c and never tried it . can someone tell me something about it.. Brick wall i cant believe im asking this ? my face is just now healing from that stupid renova. Wink lassie1234
Mabsy

Sat May 28, 2005 6:55 pm      Reply with quote
MaryR wrote:
I agree, it is all personal choice. I think that many people choose day is because some products, such as those containing glycolic acid or retinals are better to use at night due to increased sun sensitivity.

Precisely. I don't think there is anything wrong with using it at night. When I first started vit C serums I was also using AHAs and it was simply better to use them at night. Also, I have read in many places that using vit C in the morning gives you better protection from environmental factors during the day.

Sat May 28, 2005 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
lassie1234 wrote:
what kind of vita c are you talking about. i know nothing of it..dont know where to find it. i keep hearing about it . maybe would like to try it.well i do have some nerve even asking Rolling Eyes i just got done posting ILL NEVER USE ANOTHER THING Exclamation but i always read about vita c and never tried it . can someone tell me something about it.. Brick wall i cant believe im asking this ? my face is just now healing from that stupid renova. Wink lassie1234

We're talking about vitamin C serums in general lassie1234. I do think it is a good idea to incorporate one in your skincare regime but given what you have been through I would wait a bit and let your skin heal (although vit C helps speed healing as well). You should NOT have any problems with the vitamin C serum although it WILL sting if you choose a concentration that is too high for you - it will not burn your skin though. Please start with a 10% and if you get any stinging at all then either dilute it or use it every second day until your skin gets used to it. Actually, get a sample first and I would suggest that you go for something like the Vivier 10% serum as it is gentler on the skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 28, 2005 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
I was thinking of trying the LRP Active C....anyone know anything about it or can recommend another to try Confused My skin is normal to dry with minimal sun damage, showing very first fine lines and congested chin/between eyebrows Question
marella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2005 1:38 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy: Do you think that a Vitamin C+E combination product might benefit Lassie1234? I wondered as the E with its repairing and other properties might help in combination if she moves to a C, but I am not at all an expert. I would imagine that if she did start with a C it should be as you mentioned at a lower dose. A C+E combination might not start low enough as the ones I have used have been 15% C. I was thinking of it as a possible better long term product. Just a thought that I was having as I read on the thread.

Lassie1234: I don't mean to talk over your head as if you aren't here. But after the horrible problems you have had, I did not in ANY way want to seem to be suggesting a product for you that you might want to jump and try. I wanted to enquire to Mabsy who has more knowledge on the possibility of this benefiting you more down the road than a straight C, provided that you started using a C in a low dose, had good results, and then wanted to add a possible higher dose of C itself or a C combination of some kind. Sort of one of those possible good things to keep in mind for a later time, and I was curious myself too after thinking on it. I hope everything heals up and you get some great results from products that are kinder to you so that you can confidently try other new things. Which is where a lot of the fun is after all. Wink
Mabsy

Sun May 29, 2005 3:43 am      Reply with quote
marella wrote:
Mabsy: Do you think that a Vitamin C+E combination product might benefit Lassie1234? I wondered as the E with its repairing and other properties might help in combination if she moves to a C, but I am not at all an expert. I would imagine that if she did start with a C it should be as you mentioned at a lower dose. A C+E combination might not start low enough as the ones I have used have been 15% C. I was thinking of it as a possible better long term product. Just a thought that I was having as I read on the thread.

Well, I'm no expert either but I think that's a really good suggestion. But I also do agree with you on the concentration issue - it might be too strong (may or may not, but better safe than sorry). This might be a product that she might want to work up to. I would actually suggest Lassie that if you end up buying a vitamin C serum to start with then perhaps you could get a sample of the C+E to try at a later time.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2005 5:35 am      Reply with quote
Winnie wrote:
but recent research at the University of Taipei has shown that using topical vitamin c at night stimulates almost twice as much collagen synthesis as using it during the day

Wow, I learn something new everyday. C at night for me now! Thanks so much pbsadhaka Very Happy

Me too. I am changing my routine from tonight.
Thanks pbsadhaka. Also why didn't you tell me this 6 months ago Question
I insist on being kept up to date at all times. Wink
pretty please xxx

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2005 8:16 am      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka wrote:
No, recent research at the University of Taipei has shown that using topical vitamin c at night stimulates almost twice as much collagen synthesis as using it during the day.

That is really great news!!! Many thanks for posting this information....do you have any other little tidbits you can share?! Wink A big thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Pudoodles
lassie1234
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2005 8:34 am      Reply with quote
thanks for all this info.. im gonna keep reading and replying.things seem so much better for my face today... IF i ever use that renova crap again it would be like once a week. thats after everything is back to normal. first thing is i want the lowest does of vita c.... and im leaning towards J B . thats if there is a low dose from that line of products. would 10 be the lowest ? i havent been able to get to the website for some reason.. maybe thats a sign..... Bad Grin LEAVE IT ALONE !! but you all no we cant stop till we find IT . the thing that works for your personal skin. and thats where im at now. im a searhin ... lol. i like all recomendations from all of you. you all been so helpful..... Wink lassie1234
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2005 9:45 am      Reply with quote
loopylori wrote:
Me too. I am changing my routine from tonight.
Thanks pbsadhaka. Also why didn't you tell me this 6 months ago Question
I insist on being kept up to date at all times. ;)pretty please xxx

That study was only published either last month or the month before. It takes a couple of months for them to get circulated around the industry unless you know someone in on the research. It's funny, because I had been using my c serum at night even before that study came out. Laughing I guess I'm not as much a rebel as I thought I was. Confused

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2005 10:58 am      Reply with quote
OK!!
Big thanks for sharing with us. Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2005 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka,

Can you tell me where I can view this study? I didn't even know there is a University of Taipei until now Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2005 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
lassie 1234,

I think JB only has 1 Vit C serum, bit it has 2 types of C in it. I believe Winnie said both were at 5%.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2005 7:14 pm      Reply with quote
hi, yes she did. i excided to try it. but scared after what i just went thru with that renova.....TORCHER Shock thanks for the info. Wink lassie1234
marella
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2005 8:06 pm      Reply with quote
After finishing the JB C serum, I will most likely go back to the Skinceuticals C+E and continue to use that in the morning as the E helps so much with sun protection. Nothing against the JB, but unless I really really adore it before I've finished using it, I just like the idea of the C+E combo better. The JB is a nice serum to use and I'll definitely keep an open mind while I continue to use it so we'll see.

If I do go back to the C+E, I suppose I'll miss out on the double collagen synthesis that I would get if I used a straight C at night. I suppose you have to do a trade-off here and there. I am curious about trying the one with the Ferulic Acid to see what my skin thinks of it.
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun May 29, 2005 11:07 pm      Reply with quote
I'll have to look & see. I know I have it somewhere on my laptop.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2005 8:04 am      Reply with quote
marella wrote:
After finishing the JB C serum, I will most likely go back to the Skinceuticals C+E and continue to use that in the morning as the E helps so much with sun protection. Nothing against the JB, but unless I really really adore it before I've finished using it, I just like the idea of the C+E combo better. The JB is a nice serum to use and I'll definitely keep an open mind while I continue to use it so we'll see.

If I do go back to the C+E, I suppose I'll miss out on the double collagen synthesis that I would get if I used a straight C at night. I suppose you have to do a trade-off here and there. I am curious about trying the one with the Ferulic Acid to see what my skin thinks of it.

C & E has already been discontinued on some u.s. websites I checked. I thisk EDS still carries it until the ferulic comes in. Unfortunately, this is one product you can't stock up .

I'm really glad to hear vit.c can be used at night and still be effective.Now I have rethink my whole routine...this may take a while Rolling Eyes

I just thought of something-skinceuticals daily moisture is a light moisturizer for oily skin that miminimizes pores and apparently is very high in vit.e. This could be used over a reg. vit.c for the added protection.

Description:
Moisture replenisher with vitamin-E and marine extracts.
High levels of pure vitamin-E (alpha tocopherol) provide antioxidant protection, while Brazilian sea algae deliver proteins, amino acids, and essential minerals to skin. Designed for normal/oily skin, this light replenisher contains Burnet, Cinnamon and Ginger-a newly discovered combination of Chinese botanical extracts that can help reduce pore size. Also contains extracts of Horsetail, Thyme, Licorice, and Nettle.
marella
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2005 12:08 pm      Reply with quote
Marina: Yea, if I didn't want to go with the ferulic, the the pickings are probably getting pretty slim for getting it without. EDS still carrying it as you thought. I saw the Skinceuticals C+E with ferulic in stock on a couple of websites at least the other day, but you are right it isn't something that you can stock up on ahead of time since it has that pesky limited shelf life. Too bad really since it seems to be on sale a lot as the new thing coming out. That might convince me to order it a little early yet. My last bottle, the one without ferulic lasted pretty well. Still trying to make up my mind on the JB C serum though as a possible change. It is pretty expensive for straight C so really would need to blow my socks off. It does seem gentle though so possibly a great thing for those who don't tolerate other Cs very well. I'm not one those really, but it has been getting raves which is why I am waiting so long to order the C+E to see for myself. And now you mention the Skinceuticals lotion with Vit E that I have never noticed or checked out before. Another option, but possibly not moisturizing for me as a straight moisturzer as I tend to run more toward normal/dry with a bit of combo in the T-Zone. I'll have to go read up on it. Ah decisions decisions.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2005 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
marella - I've been using my sample of SC C E Ferulic at night only -- it makes my face look too shiny during the day, especially since I have to layer it with other products. I don't even have particularly oily skin. The JB C+C however leaves a nice glow when I use it with Skin Prep, ADCE and Okusil. I'm just beginning to use VitC sera to fade freckles and hopefully plump my skin (I'm 53, have combo skin), so as far as results go, I understand it takes quite a while for VitC products to have an effect.

One concern I have is that the JB C+C contains different types of VitC and not L-ascorbic acid, which people on this forum seem to think is the most effective type. I'd like feedback about this, if anyone has some insight.

Also, marina -- I've been meaning to ask you if the IS Clinical Super Serum (which I'm really considering trying when these others run out) leaves your skin looking shiny. My experience with the SC's shininess makes me want to take this into consideration now, especially with warm, humid weather approaching.
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 30, 2005 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I haven't used it yet-saving it for my trip to Greece, using up J & B first. But, I don't believe it does, since Katee uses it under Prevage during the day and she has oily skin. You may want to contact her to be sure.

That being said, I'm very proud of myself for holding off until I finish my other C serum-such willpower is unheard of in me Wink
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:14 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |