Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Aveda products any good???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
I tried their Tourmaline charged protecting lotion SPF15 on my hand and it smelled sooooo fantastic Drool I probably looked weird all day cause I couldn't stop smelling my hand Very Happy But does it work and are the ingredients any good Confused
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have read a lot of good things about Aveda and went to buy a pressed powder from the range only to find that for £18 you get a tiny pressed powder with no case!!! Yes you have to buy the casing seperately for about £10. How can they justify this????

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
I really like AVEDA products, just be careful if you have plant allergies, as their products are all very highly fragranced with essential oils. They do smell great though!
Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hey pbsadhaka, what products do you use Question
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:58 pm      Reply with quote
rofl
Sorry cbrooke,
I wasn't laughing at you. It's just that I own my own skincare company. I developed the line with a scientist from Merck & a dermatologist. So really, I am only using our products as of now. The only thing that I use that is not from our line is Relax-A-Line Serum from CellularSkinRx and Ester's Secret Firming Masque. I really like them both. I also ordered & tested Vialox, but was rather disappointed with the results.
But I have used almost EVERYTHING out there...from Neutrogena to La Prairie. I also buy other products every now & then for "market research". Laughing It's great to be able to write-off purchases for skin products as research! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:16 am      Reply with quote
AVEDA Flax Seed Aloe hair gel sucks! It smells like alcohol mixed with rubber cement and it's very overpowering. This is unfortunate because they are suppose to use natural ingredients. What a waste of money!
Nemi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:40 am      Reply with quote
The handcream with the catchy name Hand Relief is divine Very Happy

Shampure shampoo and conditioner are also good, and smell really lush.
princesita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:26 am      Reply with quote
I've never used their skin care range, was thinking of trying some of their products for sensitive skin but they didn't get very good reviews on MUA. One thing I do love from Aveda is their Hang Straight hair straightening cream, it's awesome. I even got my hair a lil damp and it didn't go fuzzy.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:39 am      Reply with quote
I too have been thinking of trying some MASKS from this line. Anyone ever use any of the Aveda Masks? How are they?

Lori

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:27 am      Reply with quote
the make up is supposed to be minimal packaging, so the eyeshadows etc don't have any case, just the little metal case. They do try and push the other case though so you can make your own compact.

I like the hand cream and several of the hair products..I'm wearing the tinted moisturiser, which I like.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:44 am      Reply with quote
I have found this is a brand where you have to pick and choose. I have used their shampoos and conditioners and I like them. I don't buy them regularly because I find them a little pricey. (Right now I use Aubrey....cheaper and great results.)
I have also used their gel cleanser and toner. I like the cleanser because it really makes my skin feel clean. However, I have also used a moisturizer that ended up in the trash. It irritated the crap out of my skin!! I assume it is the esential oils.
This is a line that I have a few reservations about considering the price.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:17 am      Reply with quote
I use their shampoos and makeup. I also have my hair done monthly. High and low lites along with touchups on the roots and a cut. My hair has never been healthier. The makeup does not clog my pores or break me out.
Des
5% products discount

Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:58 am      Reply with quote
I have used quite a few Aveda products. I love their rosemary peppermint shampoo and conditioner. I also love the smell of the brilliance hair products but I am not all that crazy about the smell of the Hang Straight.

Similar to ajax, I liked their gel cleanser but not the moisturizer. I didn't try any other of their skincare because way back when, they didn't have any facial moisturizer with sunscreen (before they came out with the tourmaline SPF15). I tried their Daily Light Guard but too greasy for my face. I have also repeatedly bought their foot cream (peppermint smell again!)

I also use their makeup. I like the dual pressed powder (don't remember exactly what it is called), good for a light coverage of blemishes when use with a sponge.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:35 am      Reply with quote
I loved most of the skincare products that I tried of theirs. My skin glowed when I was using them. The problem I found is that they do not have any products to really deal with 'problem' skin, for example blemished or oily. I loved their cleaning gel and tourmaline cream in particular.

Their hair care products are excellent. My favorites are the sap moss shampoo and their color conserve shampoo. My husband uses their rosemary mint and scalp benefits shampoo.

Liz
Debra
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:38 am      Reply with quote
mom2tommax wrote:
I too have been thinking of trying some MASKS from this line. Anyone ever use any of the Aveda Masks? How are they?

I've used Aveda's Intensive Hydrating Masque, and liked it. A couple times a year my husband gives me a gift certificate to the local Aveda spa. I use them for facials and other fun spa stuff, and will also purchase a couple of products to try. I do love Aveda's Foot Relief cream, and will make a special stop in the spa to purchase this.

For several years, I went to a different Aveda salon, and have tried/used many hair, skin and makeup products. Out of those products, I have repurchased the Tourmaline eye cream, (although not my current fav), Color Conserve shampoo and conditioner (not currently using), Phomillient Styling Foam (not currently using), Lip Tint SPF 15, Lip Color Concentrate and tinted moisterizer. The only product that I would never re-purchase is the Brilliant hair spray. I just could not tolerate the smell, and it never seemed to fade like most do over time.

I'm currently not using a lot of Aveda's products, with the exception of the foot cream and lip tint, only because for the past year or so I've been trying out new and different brands.

I've also had my hair colored and highlighted several times at the salon with Aveda's hair coloring products, and loved the beautiful, rich results!
diderot
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:35 pm      Reply with quote
I also re-visited this brand recently, and have found a few of good products. Their lip gloss is great, very moisturizing and has just the right amount of pigment. Shampure is great, give my hair the healthy look and bounce each and every time I use it, the damage remedy treatment is a great fix-up for damaged hair, hand relief and foot relief are both great, although I like to use the foot relief on my hands too at night for the extra exfoliating property.

I am now looking into the Tourmaline line, they just came out with the tourmaline cleanser, I have used the Tourmaline charged serum on and off, and it seems pretty good. Can anyone comment on the whole Tourmaline line, do they really exfoliate the skin ?

Thanks in advance,
D

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
I love the smell of their shampoos and conditioners. Some people don't though -- so test first.

I joined Aveda's new membership thingie for $10 and got the travel case with the hand cream, foot cream, Shampure, and hair conditioner. It's worth joining just for the case and what it's filled with (that's why I joined).

I haven't tried the hair stuff but have to say, I love the hand cream! It really works and it smells good. I don't usually buy expensive hand cream but I might rebuy this item.

I like the foot cream as well but I have others I like too - like using The Body Shop's mango butter, etc.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:22 pm      Reply with quote
Eve wrote:
the make up is supposed to be minimal packaging, so the eyeshadows etc don't have any case, just the little metal case. They do try and push the other case though so you can make your own compact.

I like the hand cream and several of the hair products..I'm wearing the tinted moisturiser, which I like.

They do sell compact cases seperately also.
Lisey
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
I really like their tourmaline skin care line. For their makeup, I love their Uruku Cheek-Lip Creme, Petal EssenceTM Cheek Color, and Mosscara. Smile
lorisu
5% products discount

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
I Aveda hair care products, especially the Rosemary Mint Shampoo.

I have only tried a few of their basic skincare products (creme cleanser, toner, exfolient and hydrating lotion). They were nice, but nothing to rave about. IMO there are better out there for the price.

You have me interested in the protecting lotion now though! If you do get it please let us know what you think.
BikerChic
5% products discount

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:53 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Aveda products off and on since about 1996. They have changed alot in some and not so much in other areas. I have always liked their lipsticks - they smell and taste great. Not too keen on the new minimal packaging - but its ok. Love the powder/foundation, altho I dont use it anymore as my skin has gotten drier - but it made for some great wedding photos seven years ago. Eye shadow is run of the mill - nothing special, ditto eye pencils, but I do like the double ended ones to be used on eyes, lips and cheeks - great when travelling. I do use the Tourmaline line in so far as the cleanser, and masque. I like them both alot. I am a product junkie and so I tend to jump around alot but I have come back to these 2. I use the masque when I feel like I need a lift (after a late nite) or before going out...it does seem to do that - the cleanser feels good (little scrubbies in it) and does not seem to dry out my skin at all. I have used the tourmaline under eye cream (like it better than the other one they have now) and the night cream. The line is nice. But like I said I jump around! They have recently reformulated the color conserve line and that is much better, sap moss dries me out, and shampure has too much protein for my hair for daily use and I am sure I am the ONLY one who can't stand the smell of it. Love love love rosemary mint, but its too drying also Sad They had a new volumizing shampoo and clay conditioner come out last fall - I didn't care for it at first, but is a nice changeup shampoo (I keep it on deck in the shower). I am totally Hairspray Challenged, so I dont use that at all. Carribean bath soak is divine if you are a bath person and the soap that is called refreshing or energizing is quite pleasant also. I've tried most of the stuff in the salon - I have a bit of a reputation there - if you want to try new things, often they have special sizes and or combinations of things at the holidays and also might next month (April) since it is Earth Month!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:13 am      Reply with quote
Their Tourmaline Charged Radiance Mask gets really good reviews in magazines here and there's not even an Aveda shop/counter/distributor in Thailand. So, I take it as a genuine rave rather than "they send me free products so I'm gonna write about them" kinda rave. If it wasn't for the fact that it's hard to get a hold of here, I would definitely give it a try.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:53 am      Reply with quote
I used their skincare and didn't like it. It only made my acne worse, but that was over 10 yrs ago.
jakee
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:17 am      Reply with quote
I found their hair products overpriced. And no better than less expensive similar products at my health food store.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:54 am      Reply with quote
jakee wrote:
I found their hair products overpriced. And no better than less expensive similar products at my health food store.

Same here. Quite disapointed, I was.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |