Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
What do Whitening Products really do?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:15 pm      Reply with quote
I figure Mabsy, Leiladao, or Thoughtcrime might come to my rescue . . . any input from anyone would be greatly appreciated!

I was just wondering what whitening products actually do for the skin? I have seen so many products out there but I don't know if I need whitening products. I'm Asian so my skin color is very beige-y. The thing is, I have acne breakouts every so often . . . so broken capillaries = red skin. I don't have any "brown spots" per se that need "whitening." In general, though, my skin is not as "bright" as I want it to be. Would whitening products help this or should I just invest in good skin products that will help boost the "energy" in my skin?

I always thought that whitening products were/are bad for the skin cuz they're essentially bleaching the skin, harming the skin, making it more vulnerable to other environment effects, etc. Is this true or is the problem alleviated when we buy more expensive (higher quality) products?

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I'm always looking to add to my skin care repertoire.

Thanks!
Lisa:D
leiladao
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Lisa!

I have not tried any whitening cream ( or pill :P) yet. My complexion is so pale to be whitened attractively.

My Mom has very pale skin , too, but she also has some brown spots. She has been using Skinceuticals Primacy Phyto+ on all over her face and adding some extra layers on those spots. She seems to be very happy with the result and I also can see with my own eyes that those brown spots really are fading and getting smaller in size.

I don't think you need whitening skin cream (yet). And you are very right that one has to take extra cautions while using these whitening ptds. Sun screen and sun protection are very important if you don't want to be back fired.

I know exactly what you mean when you say your skin seems to be not as 'bright' as you want it to be. I have blackheads, whiteheads and monthly breaks out, so it's very hard to have 'brighter' skin when you have red and brown scars here and there all over your face, but like my Mom always says that we should take care 'just one thing at a time'. At our age, using whitening ptds to me seems to be a little bit too much if you don't have any problem with skin pigmentation.

To avoid those days that my skin just feel kind of...'blah' ,I try to help it de-stressed by paying more attention to my diet ( drink more water and eat more...greens), do regular excercise ( I swim), get enough sleep, shorten log-on time :P, and (very important) don't forget not to pick your skin;)WinkWink

To give it a little rosy glow, once or twice a week I use those 'pick me up' face masks, either home- made of from the bottle. Actually, I'm now waiting for my Valmont parcel which includes the phenomenal Valmont Renewing Pack. I can not forget how bright and smooth my skin looked on those two days I was using Valmont from the small sample tube EDS sent to me. I just totally fell in love with it. You should try it yourself !

Hope this will help a little, Lisa.
Mabsy

Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
I'm way out of my league on this one. I'm too pale to have ever considered whitening products and so I have never read much about them or how they work.

But, Lisa, you will be happy to know that the Dermalogica Microfoliant is supposed to give you a more even and brighter complexion :P

Mabsy.
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
My goodness! You girls are SO great! Thanks for the very candid advice! I guess I'll skip the whitening products for now and work on really clearing my skin. I ordered the Microfoliant so I'll be looking forward to using that, definitely. Sigh . . . my skin does look phenomenally better when it's not breaking out, so I guess it's just patience, patience, patience.

Leiladao -- what home-made face masks do you make? Can you share some recipes?

Also -- how much water do you force yourself to drink daily? I always tend to use the bathroom a LOT when I start to drink a lot of water. I guess it's just training my body to retain the water or something. I know we're supposed to drink like 8 cups but it's so difficult. Any ideas to help?

Lisa
Mabsy

Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally posted by chunlisa
Also -- how much water do you force yourself to drink daily? I always tend to use the bathroom a LOT when I start to drink a lot of water. I guess it's just training my body to retain the water or something. I know we're supposed to drink like 8 cups but it's so difficult. Any ideas to help? Lisa

I can manage to drink that much but only for a few days, mainly because then I find that I can't eat and I start losing weight. I go through phases of drinking WAY too little and drinking close to what we supposedly should drink and I can definitely see a positive difference in my skin when I drink more. To help myself drink more, I cheat a little and add a bit of natural fruit syrup to give the water a hint of flavour.

There was a thread on this forum a few weeks back that Sable replied to and her tip was to keep a water bottle next to her computer. She sits at the computer a lot and finds that if the bottle is there next to her then she sips on it. Unfortunately I tried that and found that when I'm in front of my computer I tend to reach for Tim Tams Very Happy

Mabsy.
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Lisa, sorry can't help you on the whitening creams I know NOTHING about them. Sounds like you got good advice from the other women on this forum. I agree that clearing the skin would be more beneficial than whitening it. Slightly off topic, but when I was in grad school I felt like a teenager again because my face had broken out due to STRESS. Now my skin is relatively clear with an occasional zit before my period. What I noticed helped me a lot was #1 decreasing my stress (as soon as I graduated my skin cleared!), Retin-A (worked wonders for me with no side effects though others complain of it being too drying. I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide so I could never use Proactive products), using Decleor Harmony Essentielle soothes redness, (I know your not a big decleor fan, and I'm not into using their essential oils for skin either), and finally accupuncture helped me to help decrease stress and boost up my immune system. Good luck Wink
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:40 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Thoughtcrime,

I TOTALLY AGREE about the stress thing. I'm in law school right now and for the past few months, my acne was really under control. But deadlines are coming up soon and for the past 2 weeks my skin has really flared up -- it's AWFUL. And I also get breakouts right before my monthly, too . . . seems like our bodies are quite similar. I completely agree that stress has everything to do with our skin -- but what to do?! I can't really relax myself since stress is always here (albeit it's sometimes heavier at times).

Are you working nowadays? Isn't it still stressful somewhat? Or is it a lot better than grad school?

Lisa
thoughtcrime
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
Lisa, yes I agree STRESS is always a part of life. And it's when we're most stressful that it takes a toil on our skin. To answer your question, yes I work full time and have a part time job as well. But for me grad school was more stressful than working because when your in school the work is never done. When you get home there's still studying to do... And you never feel like you have a break (at least that's how I felt, probably due to the consequences of procrastination too :P ) You're already using great skincare products, so take study breaks, take vitamins (they have vitamin formulations geared toward skin), get a relaxing massage, and if you don't mind needles, accupuncture in my opinion is great for relaxing you and strengthing your immune system. Good luck with school!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:56 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |