Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Aveda - Acne Frustration!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
I love my Skin now!
5% products discount

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:36 am      Reply with quote
Well, I did it again. I went and wrecked a good thing. A new Aveda store opened up a few blocks from my house and I went and bought a full range of products from Aveda including their pressed powder foundation (which was an impulsive mistake) and NOW my skin is the worst it has ever been. I have about 5 large sub-surface pimples and a bunch of other regular pimples.I'm 39 and I feel mortified to go outside. I'm not in total dispair though, I just re-ordered the Jane Iredale Pressed Powder Foundation from EDS and that will help ( it's the best foundation for my skin trouble), but I was also considering ordering some Dermalogica skin care products because I have read some people had success controlling their acne with it. Does anyone have first hand experience with clearing up (or controlling) their acne with Dermalogica skin care products and if so, which products. Your input is appreciated because I want to buy some Dermalogica from EDS but there is so much to choose from. Thanks in advance.[/img]

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:40 am      Reply with quote
I've used the Medicated Clearing Gel to successfully clear up pimples that are just forming (those deep red ones that hurt before they come up). I don't have an ongoing problem with acne so cannot comment from that perspective.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Don't change to much in the midst of a skin crisis. Just toss all the *bad* products, and keep it simple; I bet your skin will sort itself out again. Smile

I haven't tried the Medicated Clearing Gel, so I can't comment, but I use MD Formulations cleanser and more recently aspirin masks, and am having success with that combination. Good luck! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:22 am      Reply with quote
I agree with the others. Just go back to what you were using before. Remember that Aveda has a great return policy and you can bring your new purchases back, tell them what happened and you can get your money back.
I love my Skin now!
5% products discount

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:43 am      Reply with quote
I appreciate your feedback ladies, however my old skin care product is Glytone and it is hard to get a hold of. It's not available in spa stores and it's not available on EDS. It's mostly available in the US and I am in Canada. I live in a small town just outside of the city, therefore I was looking for a new line and I was eager to hear some feedback from someone who successfully used dermalogica to control their acne.I think I am going to post a before and after photo once I have tried it.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:50 am      Reply with quote
There are also some other more redily available glycolic skincare lines (that is what I am assuming your old like ones) like md forte and md formulations.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:49 pm      Reply with quote
I have been using Dermalogica skin care products and they are wonderful in controlling my acne. I love the ultracalming cleanser and daily microfiliant. Dermalogica uses a non-cosmogenic (sp?) ingredients so they shouldnt cause pimples. And they are non-drying either.
I love my Skin now!
5% products discount

Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:16 pm      Reply with quote
I could not stand to wait with a face full of pimples so I went out and bought a bunch of neutragena acne stuff.It's only been 2 days but it is actually working on reducing the size and inflamation of the pimples and it doesn't appear to be drying it out too much ...so far. I am still going to try some dermalogica in the near future.

PS Aveda would not give me a refund, they would only give me a store credit. That was ridiculous because I was allergic to their skin and make-up products so what was I going to buy? I ended up buying essential oils and an essential oil burner.I hate to say this, but that place is a rip off.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
yah Aveda doesnt give refunds only exchange or credit Confused

They also sell hair products if your alergic to their skincare

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:12 pm      Reply with quote
Hey there -- sorry to hear about the Aveda fiasco. Their products smell good but don't agree with my oily/acneic skin either. I've tried giving them a chance but I ended up using their gel cleanser as hand soap.

As for Dermalogica products, I would highly recommend the following:

Dermal Clay Cleanser (very minty and could be drying so don't over do it or your skin could get real dry)

Daily Microfoliant -- best exfoliant out there and really brightens your complexion with continued use.

I like Dermalogica masks, too (refining mask, anti-bac cooling mask) but they haven't done anything "wow" for me. My holy grail for face masks is Yonka Mask 103 (for oily skin). If I have a break out coming, I mix the Yonka Mask 103 with some Yonka Creme 15 and Yonka Juvenil and 15 minutes of the mask REALLY alleviates inflammation and the break out process.

As for the break outs themselves, I would highly suggest Yonka Juvenil -- it's a spot treatment and will really purge your skin of impurities. Don't freak out, though -- if your skin is congested, the Juvenil will make it seem that your skin is getting "worse" but it's only cuz it's cleaning out your pores and bringing your acne to the surface. Continued use will mellow out your skin but new users often have this reaction.

I haven't tried Dermalogica's medicated clearing gel yet so I can't comment on that.

Lisa

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:10 pm      Reply with quote
That's too bad about your aveda stuff. I have never had a problem getting my money back when I returned products here. I wonder if their policy varies from store to store. I would have thought it would be the same at all of them.
Halfie
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:35 pm      Reply with quote
how can i get rid of a zit that is starting to form on my lip?

i hate zits on your lips, it looks like you have a cold sore or something gross

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Hi, I find the best products for me are the MD formulations range. They really control my acne and i use the bare escentuals make up which dosnt aggrivate my skin. I have tried the whole dermalogica range and it didnt do anything for me apart from cost me a fortune!! I would get some samples first and see how you go before you commit to buying everything.

if you can combine using the MD range and have their salon facials too you should see massive results!!!

Good Luck!!
Melasmaisew
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
I have no idea where you guys get samples from? Do you write a request to the company? I spend so much money on my acne and melasma..and I always wish in the end..I wish I had been given a sample of the product first.
hivanessa28
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I have maturing skin, but been battling oily skin for YEARS and tried about everything! Most products, like Aveda, aren't made for very oily skin.
Cut to the chase, my daughter (in college) found... DRUM ROLL, AcneFree, which just happens to be cheap! (At least compared to all the other products mentioned on the topic). At Walmart, I found it for $15.
AcneFree is a copy of ProActive (think lots of TV commercials).
Don't remember the packages claim of being from University of "Michigan?" and that its the same of Proactive but has a longer lasting (time released) bacteria fighting ingredient.
AcneFree comes in a package with a cleaner, toner and lotion. It cleared up my sudden-acne from a new product (Mary Kay foundation; sorry to those of you who love Mary Kay...but it was too rich for me!).
I LOVE AcneFree and now just use once in a while.. monthly breakouts.
Good luck! Vanessa

5% products discount

Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:29 pm      Reply with quote
Hey Ladies

My acne is getting better!!!

I actually look & feel exceptionally better since my terrible acne break out a few days ago.

I owe it to:
Spectro Gel Fash Wash (not expensive)
Spectro Spot treatment
Neutragena Exfoliant Gel
Neutragena Mask
Neutragena
Oil Free Moisturizer

Jane Iredale Pressed Powder Foundation helps prevent clogged pores.

PS Thank you all for your comments & Special thanks to Capers Mum![/u]

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
Good thing I read this post. I broke out from MAC studio fix fluid foundation and was going to try the Aveda foundation- it would have made my problem worse!

I am using the almay clear complexion foundation right now- I really like it- but it has only been 1 day so far.
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:09 pm      Reply with quote
Canadian Girl wrote:
Good thing I read this post. I broke out from MAC studio fix fluid foundation and was going to try the Aveda foundation- it would have made my problem worse!

I am using the almay clear complexion foundation right now- I really like it- but it has only been 1 day so far.

CG-- have you thought about trying mineral make up? It has helped my skin a lot more than the Almay Clear makeup did.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
manslayerliz wrote:
CG-- have you thought about trying mineral make up? It has helped my skin a lot more than the Almay Clear makeup did.

Hi Manslayerliz (love your name!).
I have tried BE mineral makeup- I don't think it looks that good on me, and it emphasizes my acne even more. I have ordered a sample kit from everyday minerals and hope that will be better than BE.

I also bought cover fx and find it too thick- but gives great coverage for just problem spots.

I get lazy though, I just want to throw the foundation on my face in 2 secs and leave and hate dealing with the application process of powdered mineral makeup.

I have heard that Jane Irdale pressed mineral powder/foundation is really good- i might give that a try.

what mineral makeup are you using now?
Thanks!
CG
manslayerliz
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:34 pm      Reply with quote
CG- I tried BE too and I HATED it!! OMG, the color was terrible (too orange), and all the shimmer in it made all my blemishes and scars look so much worse--- I ended up returning it to Sephora.

I think you'll really like EDM, though. If you get the right color and coverage for your skin type it's actually sooooo much faster than liquid makeup--- just dust it over your face (I use a combination of a flocked sponge and Alima's powder brush) and you're out the door in one minute, 2 minutes tops. EDM is nice because they have a lot of different finishes. Because of all my blemishes and scars I prefer a super matte finish, so I liked their matte formula the best. Unfortunately I couldn't get a good color match with them, so I ended up switching to Alima which is what I use now and I am just over the moon about it! Alima's color selection is fabulous, and they will custom mix colors for you too for no extra charge (I use a mix of C-0 and W-0). Plus I like the texture a lot--- very matte and yet very creamy. If you decide to check Alima out don't forget that all this month EDS users can use the code EDS10 for 10% off. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about your EDM samples--- it's ever so much better than BE and I think your skin will really thank you for it!^-^

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:21 am      Reply with quote
If it is really serious, I suggest that you should go to see a doctor.
skim
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:06 am      Reply with quote
The best thing I did was splurge on an aesthetician, who has been extracting my blemishes-- especially those deep in the pore that aren't very visible. After two sessions, my skin still looks bad from the acne marks, but when I feel the texture of my skin, those deep bumps that used to be there are greatly reduced. I think after a few more sessions, my acne ordeal will be pretty much over (I used to have pretty clear skin) and all I have to do is get rid of the marks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:47 am      Reply with quote
Amazingly, the Nature's Cure at the drugstore (pills for Women and pills for Men) is fabulous. It gets great reviews on MUA (how I found it). I used it and it kept my face clear -- even stopped hormonal breakouts. It's less than $10. Skip the cream and take the holistic pills twice a day. Amazing, but true.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
I feel your pain! I am 30 and have had many breakouts that made me not want to go outside. I have tried many dermamogica products and I've liked many. My favorites are the micro exfoliant/face scrub/smoothing cream and intensive eye cream. I'm also guilty of changing too many of my products and causing my own breakouts. I know it is hard but my face heals fast when I allow my body to do the medicating. I leave the red bumps (infected areas) alone at night....when my body is naturally reparing...they seem to heal faster when I put nothing on them. Then before I put on my makeup on in the morning I put a little neosporin on the spots. The blemish clearing serum from Juice has been the only thing that I have found effective in clearing up my deep cystic bumps.

I wish you luck!
Canadian Girl
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:16 pm      Reply with quote
Sidda, where did you get these pills from? A pharmacy, walmart etc or a health food store. I would love to get my hands on these since nothing else seems to be working! Can you also tell me the contents of the pills?
Thanks
CG

Sidda wrote:
Amazingly, the Nature's Cure at the drugstore (pills for Women and pills for Men) is fabulous. It gets great reviews on MUA (how I found it). I used it and it kept my face clear -- even stopped hormonal breakouts. It's less than $10. Skip the cream and take the holistic pills twice a day. Amazing, but true.
System
Automatic Message
Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |