Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

weight loss secrets???
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:53 am      Reply with quote
So, I finally got fed up whinning and complaining about my 10 extra pounds and joined a gym. I have that annoying little lower tummy roll that is impossible to get rid of Rolling Eyes Anyway, I have been going for about 2 1/2-3 months and I have GAINED weight Crying or Very sad Now I know it is probably cause I gained muscle which weighs more blah, blah, blah....but I don't care, all I want is my jeans to be less snug Laughing

Anyone have any diet/weight loss secrets or ideas how to speed up the process Confused
SherriinCanada
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:24 am      Reply with quote
I own a gym and personally feel you found the secret by joining one. I have noticed how easily people get frustrated and give up on the gym if results aren't immediate. My advice is to stick with it and you will be thrilled with the eventual result.

You gain weight initially both from muscle as well as your body retains more water as a way of keeping itself hydrated. Good luck and stick with it you will be rewarded in time. Drink lots of water and make sure you get enough protein.

HTH
Sherri
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:44 am      Reply with quote
Now the key is just to actually force myself to go on a regular basis Laughing Need some serious motivation Exclamation
freefall2
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:47 am      Reply with quote
If the gym offers it, have a session with a trainer and make sure they understand your goals when they design a workout plan for you. Sometimes you have to change things up and challenge your body to get results. I've had to change my workout approach because I felt like I was on a plateau. I was running 3 miles about 5-6 times a week and wasn't seeing the results I wanted so I've switched to interval training. Now I'm running a shorter distance but I'm alternating my usual pace with sprints and I'm already seeing results after only a week. It's also helped me on the tennis court. I wish I had access to a gym though because I'd like to work on my upper body.

Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:56 pm      Reply with quote
Eat less, move more. I've always found the most sensible menus for weight loss has been Weight Watchers or T.O.P.S. Balanced meals. Good portions, variety. Normalacy. None of this fad, low carb, high protein stuff. Losing weight should not be a "quick fix", but a way to learn better eating habits.
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
So true....everything in moderation Exclamation If you cut out too much or deprive yourself you will probably end up totally pigging out in a moment of weakness Laughing

Thanks for all the support guys Very Happy
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:30 pm      Reply with quote
So true....everything in moderation Exclamation If you cut out too much or deprive yourself you will probably end up totally pigging out in a moment of weakness Laughing

Thanks for all the support guys Very Happy
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:25 am      Reply with quote
I think you need some form of diet. There are many studies that show that while aerobic exercise is good for you it does not generally result in weight loss unless you are severely overweight. Why? Because it causes an increase in appetite.

I think what diet you use depends on your health. The rules for all diets should be no prepared foods, no sugar or white flour and no bad fats. Eating small meals throughout the day is also good. (two recent studies showed that eating snacks (5-6 smaller meals per day) resulted in more weight loss and better cholesterol even though those diets contained more calories and fat.

I have been on a low glycemic index diet for 2 years. It saved my life. I had high blood pressure and blood sugar for years after I had HELLP syndrome after the birth of dd. Meds did not control these conditions. I was at severe risk for stroke. I was put on a low fat diet that nearly killed me. I was hospitalized becasue my blood pressure would not stabilize. After these shock I researched the literature and found that people like me with loe chlolesterol but relatively high triglycerides do best on a low glycemic index diet. I eat veggies, meat, berries, flax meal, nuts etc. and don't count anything. I've kept off 40 pounds AND have 110/58 without ANY meds.

I suggest to everybody now that when you start a new routine have your blood chemistry done initially and every three months antil your weight is stabilized. If you are high LDL and low triglycerides and low hemaglobin A1C you will do best low fat. If however you are moderate LDL, 40 or lower HDL and high triglycerides you really should be on a low glycemic index diet. You should also have C reactive protein measured as it is an inflammation marker.
Sweety Smarty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:45 am      Reply with quote
Im verry into power yoga,its a lot of fun,youre geting limberly and in shapejavascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
Very Happy I also do Kickboxing. I like sports wich are fun, Fitness is sometimes so boringjavascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
Very Happy
GOOD LUCK;BROOKE!!!!!!!!!
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:54 pm      Reply with quote
Even though I'd exercised regularly and most days of the week since the age of ten, I was never able to lose any weight - even while keeping my calories at around 1200. I abhored feeling so deprived only to have drumstick arms, back fat, tummy rolls, and a full face.

I'm 107 pounds (48.5 kg / 7.6 stone) now; however, I used to be a few dress sizes larger at barely 5'3"/1.6m. 10 stone was simply too large for my frame. In 2001, I eliminated foods with added sugars and starchy carbohydrates, replacing them with vegetables and low-glycemic fruits, which are the mainstay of my diet. (I also eat a lot of nuts and adequate meats.) Once I threw low-carbing into the mix of cardio I'd always done and almost doubled my caloric intake, the weight came off in 5 months. Now I know that for me, it was the starches and unnecessary sugars that were keeping me heavy.

I have been maintaining for over 3½ years now, and Atkins is a lifestyle for me. I just avoid starches and focus on whole foods 90% of the time. (Though I have a "Fun Day" once a month when I eat whatever I want for the entire day!) It may not be for everyone, but it worked for me!

I would love to hear about programs that have worked for other posters here, as many different lifestyle changes work for different people. Smile
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:56 am      Reply with quote
Sweety Smarty wrote:
Im verry into power yoga,its a lot of fun,youre geting limberly and in shape Very Happy
GOOD LUCK;BROOKE!!!!!!!!!

Limberly, I love your way with words sweety Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:41 am      Reply with quote
javascript:emoticon('Laughing')
Laughing I dont love the words of my translater...What did i say?javascript:emoticon('Very Happy')
Very Happy
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:09 am      Reply with quote
Well I guess you meant flexible, but I think limberly works perfectly Very Happy

Are all your posts done via a translater?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Hehee,no!!! just if i really dont know a word...im a little vainjavascript:emoticon('Laughing')
Laughing
miranets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:40 am      Reply with quote
Hiya cbrooke

Here are some of my discoveries about how to make food help control your weight.

I have a really fast metabolism, which is also very responsive to what type of food I eat. If I overindulge and eat more than my share at night, I can be hungry again within 30 minutes, like literally stomach grumbling hungry.

I try to eat gluten free grains that are low GI to substitute potatoes and white rice (though it is gluten free, very high GI).

For breakfast, I eat untoasted oats with milk (preferred unrolled and jumbo oats), not the honey coated, flavoured types. THe less processed the better. Good complex carbs to last through the morning.

Another substitute for oats is buckwheat. It can be made into the same texture as oats. It is gluten free (for those who are intolerant).

For lunch and dinner, I usually have brown rice with kidney beans (soaked overnight and cooked together with rice). I'm trying to substitute the rice with barley (pearl barley is easier to buy and cook).

Another grain which seems like a godsend is quinoa... which is much more nutritious than potatoes/rice which are the staple in many people's diets.

Oh and, I never eat enough to be full, I probably half my servings at every meal. And I try to eat 3 good meals, plus 2 small servings in between. But if I want extra 'loose' pants, just stick to 3 small meals.

And for the physical part of this diet..

I do targeted pilates movements for my thighs and stomach, which after much determination and pain, really really work.

Things like Winsor pilates are really overrated, and they just copy core Pilates movements, which are available in any good pilates/yoga book (I realised after spending $110 and hours of time with Guthy Renker, and a $10 Ultimate Pilates book!)
Gucci
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Has anyone tried Apple Cider Vinegar tablets???

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:11 am      Reply with quote
I like Pilates tapes the ones I have are Gaiam and Winsor bought at a garage sale so not expensive. I found that regular use of a 20 min tape did shape my waist (down about 1.5" over 6 weeks without a weight change).

I think exercise for aiding weight loss works best as many short sessions (high activity for at least 9 minutes). This is easier to fit into schedules so you keep it up and your metabolism stays up about the same amount of time whether you exercise 9 minutes or an hour.

I think the low glycemic index and good proteins keep you from feeling hungry. I lost 40 pounds over 4 months (it was easy) and this was almost exactly 2 years ago. Another plus of this type of diet is that I am much more muscular than before. I am tall and have always had thin legs. A low fat/low protein diet causes muscle loss, it made my legs look like toothpicks. Now at the same weight as I was in college (I am over 5' 9", 140 pounds and size 6 on the bottom. I need 10 button tops because I'm relatively large busted).
Pudoodles
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:46 am      Reply with quote
what works for me is avoiding processed food and refined sugars -- and practicing ashtanga yoga..
Pudoodles
misskoslow
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I used to be a professional figure skater and that kept my frame at a fairly small level (I was pure muscle and very little body fat). When I stopped skating...I really stopped and I found myself gaining weight. I have always been an addict of sweets and since I was competing often I was always on a high carb diet. My suggestion is a very basic one, but cutting out the carbs and more importantly the desserts has been very important for me. I also BARELY drink coffee (once a week every two weeks max) and I drink a lot of tea. For some reason that seemed to help as well.

I have found, however, that I do have that little little bit of lower tummy fat and I wanted to ask the others if they have any exercise suggestions as to how to get rid of that?!

or do you have any suggestions?!!
sharky
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:27 pm      Reply with quote
I know that people have told me over and over that you can not shape using exercises but I
did take 1.5" off my belly without changing weight after about 6 weeks of an ABS concentrated Pilated tape for 6 weeks.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:06 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |