Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Were you a smoker and quit? If so how did you keep it up?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:19 am      Reply with quote
I quit several times, the last one lasting almost 7 months, I could kick myself in the butt for starting again! Mad
I am setting myself up to quit again, I've been putting it off, cause I know how hard it is...but I don't want to keep this up, I'm going to be 40 this year and I said to myself I want to be better at 40 and start looking after myself.
Any tips, stories of inspiration to help me get the monkey off my back would be truley appreciated! Thanks! Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:24 am      Reply with quote
You could try this and be mind controlled into stopping:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/095502790X/qid=1121786619/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_11_6/202-8620316-4151844

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Have you read the book by Allen Carr?? Not your average quit-smoking book. There is a new 2005 edition now too. It worked for me and my friends; one of which smoked 1.5-2 packs a day for over 10 years. If you really want to quit, and read the book, I think you will be successful with it. But if you don't really want to quit yet...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1402718616/qid=1121787025/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7078840-6603934?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

Here is the link...lots of reviews are posted about it too.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:19 am      Reply with quote
moosette,
I quit 8 and a half years ago and can honestly say, I'll never go back.
Good for you moosette! I think I heard that alot of smokers quit and then go back a couple of times before they finally put the habit down for good. This was my experience too.
My method for quitting was smoking lobelia leaves...rolling them up in cigarrette papers. I was so addicted I think it would have been impossible for me to quit without doing this.
The lobelia has a substance similar to nicotine that helps soooo much with the withdrawals but it is non-addictive. I had no trouble putting the lobelia away after a few weeks. I mostly needed something to smoke because the action of smoking was as much an * spam alert * as the nicotine itself.
Good luck to you. I don't know if my method appeals to you but it certainly worked for me.
I quit about your age and it made such a difference in my skin, my energy levels and the overall quality of my life.
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:25 am      Reply with quote
Faith I too have read the Alan Carr book, it's fantastic Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:31 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Moosette...I used to smoke Player's Filter! I quite 15 years ago...almost by mistake....it started to make me feel sick...the only thing I can think of that might have impacted my smoking habit was the fact that I stopped eating meat...once I gave up meat, - the smoking made me feel sickly...and that was that...I just couldn't smoke anymore...
Pudoodles
Dianne
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:08 pm      Reply with quote
I quit 18 years ago, cold turkey. I really wanted to quit and so did my boyfriend (now husband) so we quit together. That's what made it possible for me. There was noooooooo way I was going to start again if he wasn't going to, it became a competition in a way, who can go the longest.

The first week was hell, the first month really difficult and after that everyday got a bit easier. I found that I had to keep busy, and occupy my hands. I crocheted (sp?)and painted, tried to do things like that.

It is definitely easier if you have a quitting buddy. Just take it one day at a time. I never took another puff again and I'm soooooooo glad.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:59 am      Reply with quote
rosebud wrote:
Faith I too have read the Alan Carr book, it's fantastic Very Happy

I liked it too! I liked that he just seemed logical and didn't talk down to us. Or try to scare us like we haven't ever heard that smoking is dangerous...

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:27 am      Reply with quote
I think the trick is, is if you 'slip' don't beat yourself up about it and don't freak yourself out about how hard it is gonna be, because it makes it worse. Lots of people just quit totally and never give it a second thought (I'm not one of them btw!).

I also calculate what I would have spent on fags and then spend it on something nice Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:11 am      Reply with quote
HI
My Mum smoked from the age of 13, she is now 73.

My mum tried and tried to give up. Cutting down, patches, hypnotism etc but nothing worked.

After my Dad suddenly died of a heart attack the doctors said his smoking from a very early age had not helped.

My Mum from that day gave up. That was 11 years ago.

She always says if you havent got willpower you wont do it. Also that cutting down, patches etc didnt work for her, she had to say "thats it" and throw the cig's away.

Its one of the hardest things she's ever done in her life and even now walking down the street if someone is smoking she could take it off them and finish it!

Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I absolutely swear by the book by Allen Carr. Before I read it, I had tried everything, nicoteen chewing gum, cold turkey, plastic ciggies, even acupuncture. A friend came in one day who used to smoke 40 a day and told me he'd given up by reading the book and didn't even want a cigarette. I read the book and it just makes you realise that all the stuff about withdrawal, side effects etc are all in your head and will only actually last a few days. It's not a brainwash, it just seemed to change everything. I read the book in one weekend (I never normally read that quickly), had my last cigarette at the end of reading it (like he suggests) and have never wanted a cigarette since. That was 15 years ago and and I can honestly say it was the best thing I've ever done.

You have to really want to quit. Please read the book, I know it's worked for so many.

Good luck.
vegas gal
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:32 am      Reply with quote
I've been smoke free for 19 yrs, got pregnant and just quit!!
Molly
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:04 am      Reply with quote
I can't really answer your full question about 'maintaining' because I'm chain-smoking again.

But I did give up in a cold turkey fashion from 60 a day to zero and for over 3 years after the initial few weeks I really didn't miss it, seriously - wasn't tempted at all even when I was drinking and that's a real test for me.

I didn't use the Carr book at first but I read it after 6 weeks or so into my cold turkeying and it really gave me a boost. So I'd vote for that too. Don't know why it didn't work the second time though. Sad
Sweety Smarty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
hey guys!Ive read a verry helpful tip(it worked on my mum!)
Take a strong cigarette,and smoke it while keeping your nose shut...It will taste so unbelivable disgusting cause its much more intensify...If you do this evry day for about a week,your brain will saving the taste of a cigaette as disgusting!Try it!
rosebud
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:32 am      Reply with quote
Afriend of mine switched his packet cigarettes to roll ups which he hates, it made him feel nausios every time he had one and the thought of having to go and roll one up was unapealing that he cut his intake down a lot from about 20 a day to 10!! then 5 then less until he lost interest.
He also hated the fact that poeple would think he was rolling a joint! Laughing

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
Embarassed i hate smoking !!!!!!!! BUT I CANT STOP ! i cant use the patch due to some of my meds. cant chew gum due to dentures. so next week im getting the inhaler. i used it before and it worked. but my ins. wouldnt cover it and it cost alot. well now so does cigs. but now my ins. pays and im gonna try again. so what did i do ?? go out and buy my last carton . i really want to stop. i hate it. my boys are bashin me. the hardest part will be in the morning with coffee and after eating. eeeeee. 28yrs of smoking Silenced that is making me sick to even say that.i really dont know what life is like without smoking. i really hope this works out. Pray
Arrow lassie 1234
Sweety Smarty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:41 am      Reply with quote
im sorry for you,this have to be quite hard perhaps you should stop on a time,were you have enough time,like on vacation,its much easier...GOOD LUCK
pipilover
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:20 am      Reply with quote
Maybe it would help when you would think of all the things why smoking is bad. Like it is bad for skin, also it would help to the loss of hair, it can give you problems with breating, the olding process would go faster because of smoking etc. When i think of these things, i would be scared, especially the part of hairloss and olding process. And i really care about looks, so if you are too, maybe it would help. Because what do you find importer, healthy and looks or smoking? Or you can try to smoke a sigaret from a brand that you dont like, and smoke this as much as you can, till you feel really bad, and maybe you can look at no other sigaret anymore Idea!!!
lassie1234
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:08 am      Reply with quote
thank you
Sweety Smarty
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:51 am      Reply with quote
hey lassie!
Im sure,its really hard to keep it,cause youve smoked for such a long time...But you have done the first steps wich is really important!And its a great thing that you wanna do this for your kids!I really really hope that you make it!
GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
andrevi
5% products discount

Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:49 pm      Reply with quote
I never smoked again after following Judy Perlmutter's "Quit in 5 days" program which I did in 1995. It's based on aversion therapy, and although sickening[literally] for 3 days it is a permanent, quick fix. A short, sharp shock therapy. I also read the Alan Carr book as back up.
Good luck!
Andrevi
pipilover
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:15 am      Reply with quote
Hi I am sorry, it was not meaned as a lesson. But i know some people who quit because of the things that i typed. And i have not said that it is only bad for the skin, but for everything. And you say that you dont do it for the skin but for yourself, and i understand but skin is a part from yourself also. Yes that smoking is bad everyone knows ( i hope), but sometimes people not really give it a deep thought about how bad. And i smoked to and did give it a thought, and smoked at one day a lot of sigarets from a brand i do not liked, till a was feeling bad. At that point i could not look at a sigret anymore and i also saw a program about how the longs would look if you would smoke, really scared me. And i did typed about breathing also.
lassie1234
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:46 am      Reply with quote
Shame on you im quitting for my kids and myself. i have smoked long enough now. it is tasting awful.. i tried all of the above and it did not work with me.. i have to be the one who says im stopping. and i said it. i will be using a cartrige inhaler for awhile. i use it before and it did work but ins. stopped paying. and at almost 200.00 a box that might last a week............................well now my new ins. pays. and its funny because i will pay money for skin products and cig's.. next tuesday is my appt. with the dr. and wedsnday i will start with the program.. it sure would be nice to have alittle support thru this. Pray because i will need it.
Arrow lassie 1234
loopylori
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
You have my full support. Feel free to vent your anger if you want to and nobody cares if you go through a moody stage.Well at least I don't, I have broad shoulders, I can take anger. I have not heard of these inhalers can you please explain them to me, or tell me what search words I should use on google to find out.
Good luck.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:37 pm      Reply with quote
Confused hi. thx for that. everyone looks down at us smokers like we are monsters. BUT I DONT LOOK LIKE ONE Shame on you Rolling Eyes . they are called nicotrol inhalers. they come with a plastic cigar looking thingy and you put a small cartgridge in them and puff on that.. i have to admit,,,,,,,,, Shhh they do give ya alittle buzz Cool you are getting nicotine from the cartgridge but i think thats all. when i stopped using them and went back to smoking, they were great when you were in a place ya couldnt smoke because you can hold it in your hand and take a puff and got your nictotine fix. Embarassed but if i remember right i did stop for a couple of months.im already getting alittle cranky thinking about the days coming ahead. Brick wall but they are tasting nastier every time i light up.and everything is pissing me off right now.plus i got my period. and yes there still coming too Brick wall im so glad your offering to listen. \Very Happy/please keep up with me. Angel
Arrow lassie 1234
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |