Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Prod Review: First impressions of Decleor Foaming Cleanser
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Products Reviews Forum
Reply to topic
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:02 am      Reply with quote
I've actually been quite good for the past few weeks and I was completely astonished to realize that I hadn't set foot inside Sephora for probably close to two months. But yesterday I decided I couldn't stay away any longer because I absolutely had to return my ModelCo Lash Gloss clear mascara-stuff that three weeks ago I had decided that I absolutely couldn't live without but which turned out to be a complete waste of money and the effort it took to locate a retailer in the U.S. that carried the ModelCo line.

I needed a new facial cleanser because my bottle of Decleor Cleansing Gel and my little travel-size pump bottle of Yonka Nettoyant Gel had nearly been exhausted and the other cleansers that I had stashed away to try at a later date are still in storage as I'm still living in the hotel while my house is being remodeled -- although I'm happy to report that it looks like only another 10 days before I can move back in and finally get a decent night's sleep in my own bed.

So I decided to exchange my Lash Gloss and the $15 Sephora "Go-Curl Professional Lash Curler" toward the cost of a new facial cleanser since I had found that the $3 version by Luxor (maker's of the infamous imposter Diamancel foot file) worked as well as, if not better than, the Sephora lash curler, and besides: I also have my ModelCo Lash Wand heated curler, so 3 separate lash curlers could be construed as product/tool overkill.

After careful consideration, I decided I wanted to try Decleor's Foaming Cleanser ($32USD for 8-oz). It comes in one of those squeeze tubes that stands on its end and has a screw-off top. I was quick to learn that if one doesn't put the top on immediately after dispensing the product into one's wet palm, rather than just laying the tube on the counter at an upward angle while proceeding to cleanse one's face, one will lose quite a bit of foaming cleanser as it oozes from the uncovered tip even if the bottle is inverted against gravity so presumably the contents must be under pressure or something.

When I was a little kid, my mom used to buy this stuff called "Phisoderm" for my 18-year old brother to use to wash his face that was recommended by a dermatologist because it allegedly helped fight against acne and breakouts (remember, this was circa 1977-78, so the skincare choices back then were pretty much limited). Although I'd been forbidden to use it because it was pretty expensive, even though it could be purchased over-the-counter, sometimes I would sneak a bit of Phisoderm and use it to cleanse my face whenever I thought I could get away with it without being caught. All I actually remember about Phisoderm was how nasty it tasted. I don't know how it happened because I don't normally get soap in my mouth when I wash my face, but every damn time I tried the Phisoderm I somehow invariably ended up with a mouthful of it and the stuff tasted just awful. I can still remember the phantom taste of it after all these years.

Why am I telling you this? Because 25 years later, I had a flashback to my horrible Phisoderm moments when I used the Decleor Foaming Cleanser for the first time because, again, I somehow got the stuff in my mouth and nearly gagged from the taste. And, just like the Phisoderm, the taste of the Decleor stays on your tongue and imbedded in your taste buds long after you've spat and scrubbed and swished with minty mouthwash in a vain attempt to rid your mouth of the haunting aftertaste.

So that was my first impression of the Decleor Foaming Cleanser, which seemed to herald an inauspicious start. My next impression was that "Foaming Cleanser" is a complete misnomer because the stuff doesn't foam at all. I don't think I could even bring myself to go as far as to claim that it even could be termed a "Frothing Cleanser"! The obviously creative writers that developed the product description on the back of the tube took quite a few artistic liberties when deciding to declare this as a mousse-like consistency because I found it to be more of a very runny lotion-like texture.

So far, it doesn't seem to bode well for my new skincare acquistion, but after spitting out the mouthful that somehow found its way inside my closed lips and mouth, I dutifully began massaging this foam-less cleanser onto my face for about 45 seconds and even found enough intestinal fortitude to apply it to my closed eyes to see if it would remove my MAC Fluidline eyeliner and the (daytime) lash serum that I have been using in lieu of a clear mascara and was pleasantly surprised when my eyes didn't immediately begin burning and/or tearing up.

I then rinsed my face with tepid water, patted dry, then moistened a cotton pad with my trusty ACV toner in an effort to determine exactly how clean this stuff actually got my face (normally after removing my makeup, I use my homemade DHCC before applying toner) and was actually shocked to find that upon examining the used cotton pad after swiping it over my face that the cotton pad wasn't covered with the telltale evidence of makeup residue that didn't quite get removed during cleansing.

Futhermore, my face did not feel all dry and tight as is sometimes the case when one uses a cleanser that is too harsh. I used it again this morning, mixed with a dash of Dermalogica's Daily Microfoliant and a pinch of green French clay, and it performed in a similar manner -- although once again, some of it managed to sneak past my tightly clenched lips and invade my taste buds. I swear, I can't figure out how this is happening!

Anyway, to recap: the Decleor Foaming Cleanser effectively cleansed my face and removed my eye makeup (although, granted, I wasn't wearing anything tough to remove like waterproof mascara), yet didn't cause any dryness or irritation to my sometimes fickle and sensitive, but oily, skin. I guess if I can bring myself to disregard the fact that it really doesn't do what its name implies, namely FOAM up, and am able to find a way to avoid getting the damn stuff in my mouth everytime I use it (perhaps duct tape might work??) I reckon I'll decide to keep it, although -- as always -- I reserve the right to change my mind at any time and return it to Sephora to exchange for whatever else my little greedy heart seizes upon and it certainly won't stop me from exploring other cleansers to try out....

BTW, does anyone have any recommendations for a cleanser? Of course you know I'm oily-skinned, but I also really adore the concept of using products containing essential oils and/or plant essences such as those offered by Decleor and Yonka, so I would love to hear about any similar product lines. I know Jurlique has a similar philosophy and I have tried a couple of their products, but I'm not sure if they offer a facial cleanser that would suit my needs. And when I saw facial cleanser, I'm talking about a product that will actually remove makeup and stuff from my face, and not something like "Dr. Hauschka's Cleansing Cream" which merely serves to deep clean my pores once my makeup and dirt has already been removed so if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear about them and/or try them out!

Incidentally, since I was discussing the use of my trusty ACV toner a couple paragraphs up, I just wanted to comment that I've recently noticed that the two stubborn broken capillaries at the base of my nostrils (caused from blowing my snoot too vigorously during allergy season here in Austin, which actually lasts 11 1/2 months out of the year) have begun to appear less noticeable recently and I couldn't figure out why until I want back and did a little more research on my essential oils.

It turns out that with continued and prolonged use, the lemon essential oil that I had been adding to my almost-infamous "Dr. Holland's ACV Super Toner" to help regulate my overactive sebum glands (along with the requisite Ylang Ylang oil, of course) actually helps to reduce the appearance of broken caps. How great is that?? I knew that other EOs such as peppermint, rosemary and geranium could help with them, but somehow I completely overlooked that lemon oil was one of them. Anyway, I'm completely jazzed by this result and can actually report with complete confidence that these essential oils really *are* effective at treating various skincare woes! I guess I need to go find that thread regarding "effective treatments for broken caps" and post my findings....

And if I may hijack my own thread and send it careening even further off topic, allow me to share with you my absolutely exciting and delightful news:

My local Sephora store is expanding and will soon be carrying even more new and wonderful things that I really don't need but will not possibly be able to live without!! There was all kinds of banging and hammering going on when I was there yesterday, and upon confirming with one of the sales assistants that all the commotion really meant what I thought it meant, there went CareKate doing cartwheels down the aisle, so great was her joy and anticipation.

Of course, in actuality, more temptation is the very last thing that poor CareKate's checkbook and credit cards need so I will need a helping hand from the EDS sisterhood to resist the seductive allure of all the new products and product lines that will soon be casting their spell on me...but just think of all the great new things for which I can shop and send to all of my lovely pals across the sea -- oh happy day!!!! Very Happy

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:07 pm      Reply with quote
Carrie,

I wasn't a fan of the decleor foaming. It never foamed up and left a funny film on my face.

So far my favourite cleanser is the skinceuticals foaming. It doesn't dry me out and leaves my skin feeling really clean...gotta keep it away from the eyes though!

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:16 pm      Reply with quote
I really like the Eminence Organics Sweet Red Rose cleanser and Citrus cleanser (the red rose is for oily skin- so I have a big bottle of that, but the citrus just smells sooooo fresh and yummi...so I have a smaller bottle of that too). I know you like natural skin-care, so maybe try to get a sample of these and see what you think Very Happy

ps. just started using Alphadermas Organic cleansing milk and it does a great job of removing make-up for a good price-tag... I ordered it from EDS and got a Alphaderma sample-kit free!!! (worth $20) Very Happy
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:20 am      Reply with quote
I LOVE YOUR REVIEW CARRIE Laughing your too funny

Location: Denmark. Me = 32, think I'm combo without oiliness + sometimes sensitive. Have noticed that skin doesn't heal as quickly anymore and I've developed fine lines around my eyes... Hormonal breakouts which are sometimes cystic. PCOS
marina
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
The best cleansers
for me, also oily but getting closer to normal- are:

Skincueitcals foaming-it does foam.

Jan Marini c-esta cleanser-foams, lasts & gentle enough to remove eye make-up. Great for oily & normal skin

Fresh Soy Cleanser-amazing-esp. for winter, but a little hard to rinse completely if you use too much-try to get a sample from sephora first.

Pat Wexler cleanser-hands down the best for aging oily skin-or any skin except very dry-skin feels plump & mosturized, all make-up gone-this one really surprised me.Dosne't foam but smells great & you won't care.

Is Clinical-love it & use it in the morning-gently exfoliates, but also effective in removing eye make-up without drying-good summer cleanser.

That's the A list-as you can see I'm really into cleansers. Hope I was able to help. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:36 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |