Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
Do you pluck or wax your eyebrows?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
moosette
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:16 am      Reply with quote
I was reading on the MUA skincare board that waxing your brows causes fine lines to appear more dominant, could this be true? I've kinda let mine get a little out of control because I was thinking of getting them waxed and reshaped, but now I don't know if I should or not.
Does anyone know of the proper technique to shape your own eyebrows with tweezers? I like the way nicely arched brows look, but don't know how to go about it. Should I get them professionally done and then try to keep it up myself afterwards?
What do you ladies do to keep your eyebrows pretty?

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:32 am      Reply with quote
If you haven't groomed your eyebrows before with tweezers, you might want to have them professionally done first & then just pluck the regrowth. I have tweezed my eyebrows for years & it's easy once you get the hang of it. Unfortunately, it is very easy to over-tweeze when you first start doing it. The first few times I did it I ended up looking like Marlena Dietrich! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:55 am      Reply with quote
I tweeze and haven't had any problems with it... I also have friends that get their eyebrows waxed or threaded once in a while and then keep it up in between. I'm thinking about doing that at some point to see if it makes a difference or not!
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:56 am      Reply with quote
Wax...gives me the cleanest, defined eyebrows. Also, I am lazy, and like to have someone do it for me. Laughing I have never heard that fine line thing before. I would just keep growing them in and then get them shaped as planned. If you are still worried about, then tweeze after, as Darren suggested.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:12 am      Reply with quote
I think it depends on how thick your eyebrows are. Some people have that nice thick set that they can get a nice arch out of. If so, waxing might be a good idea. If you have thinner eyebrows like myself, I would get them professionally plucked first, then touch them up yourself if you feel confident to tweeze them yourself. I used to shave mine off (yes, i drew my eyebrows on.... Shock ) in my "goth" stage of life...then i grew them in all messy, and my sister has a good eye for plucking so i let her clean me up, and i've been keeping it up ever since!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:41 am      Reply with quote
I get them waxed for the cleanest, finest look. I find that when I just tweeze, they get a bit fring-y. No problems with fine lines from waxing either.
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
It depends... I have friends that came home with broken capilaries after waxing eyebrows, or a red rash for days, or even worse- half their eyebrows gone Shock ! SO if you decide to wax, do it somewhere where one of your friends whos eyebrows you admire does it.

I pluck...I wish I did not start plucking the way I did though.

I learned quickly that you should only pluck inbetween your eyebrows (nobody wants a uni-brow) and from underneath...never plucking the hairs from top (closest to your forhead)...and that is the proper way of doing it.

BUT, once you start plucking, it's easy to get carried away and you end up making your eyebrows too thin Sad ... my eyebrows never grew back to being thee lushious Brooke Shields ones they once were and I now have to paint them in at times just to make them look as they once naturally were.

Eyebrows are IN. Check all super-models at the moment- they all got their natural thick eyebrows (alot even get them painted in for shoots to make them look bigger), and they are just nicely shaped. Alot of model-friends of mine go to a salon to get their brows just shaped...that is that they trim them ALITTLE with a scissor, pluck a few strays and make sure there is no uni-brow...that's it. Very suddle. That result you can achieve yourself at home by brushing your eyebrows with a clear mascara to get a nice shape Very Happy .

Remember, work WITH the features you were born with. YOU have a unique special look and don't try to look like someone else... Very Happy
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
I have thick, dark eyebrows and I pluck at least every few days. I've never had them waxed -- I don't trust somebody else to shape my brows for me. I've seen to many bad results on friends of mine. It's pretty easy to get a nice shape, just follow the natural shape of your brows.

And like happyhippie said -- only pluck from beneath the brows, never pluck above them! Naturally, plucking in between them is a must. Wink
cheezwiz
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
I normally pluck my brows - fast and cost efficient for me. Mine grow back in pretty quick, but I've gotten used to plucking them. I mostly pluck from underneath the brow, but I do have annoying strays above that I pluck out.

I had my brows waxed once and ouch! NEVER again! it was awful - some bits of skin were actually pulled off around my brows, and they were red and sore afterward.

My favorite method is threading. I have this done sometimes when I have a few extra bucks (the cost is minimal $10 - $15). It's much gentler than waxing, and results in a lovely clean shape. I'd highly recommend this method to anyone - I found it virtually painless. If you have Indian or Middle Eastern salons in your neighborhood its worth checking out. It is becoming more common in westernized salons as well.

Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:12 am      Reply with quote
I get my eyebrows shaped & waxed professionally but I then tweeze the regrowth for a while until I think it's really time to go back to the salon again. As long as you get an experienced person I don't think you will have any problems. I have had a few girls who waxed over the same spot too many times and my skin peeled the next few days - I hate that!

5% products discount

Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:41 am      Reply with quote
I use tweezers as waxing irritates my skin. I think its best to have them done professionally to start with at least. I have mine plucked above and below the arch as it works best for me that way shape wise
applepie
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:39 am      Reply with quote
Any tips on how to find an experienced threader or waxer for eyebrows without having it done first? I'm sure a good way is to go by recommendations, but are there questions to ask to see if someone knows what they are doing?
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:44 am      Reply with quote
You could ask how long it takes them. A 5 min wax is not going to be be very accurate, nor is it going to include extra shaping with tweezing or scissors. An experienced waxer will be able to do a good job in 15-20 mins, but someone new to it all will probably take closer to 30 mins to do it right, IMO.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:24 am      Reply with quote
I had mine waxed about 9 times, it was great, it didnt hurt as much as plucking. Now you all now what stupid skin I have, I think my skin has PMT!! It plays up when it feels like it Very Happy

I have my normal eyebrow wax, nothing different, no change in the wax etc. After about an hour my eyebrows and eyelids start to really itch and go red....

Next day I am totally swollen, I look like I've been punched in both eyes by Frank Bruno, the itching and redness are terrible for a good 3 days until the swelling starts to go down....I can tell you work didnt see me!! Very Happy

So now I stick to plucking!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:30 am      Reply with quote
Did you go to a different place that time Gucci? Sounds like a reaction to that wax, not waxing. Or maybe, if it was the same salon, they changed their wax.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Should I get them professionally done and then try to keep it up myself afterwards?

This is exactly what I would do, and try to go as long as you can stand it beforehand, without touching your eyebrows. Not only that, make sure to go to someone with an excellent reputation for shaping.

Afterward, you can simply maintain with ease via plucking. If you use retinoids or glycolic, stop for a while before and afterward, as this makes your skin more sensitive. Good luck!
Fairlyfair
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:05 am      Reply with quote
Well you all know what a huge fan I am of threading eyebrows, for those that are interested - I stumbled upon this site that names salons worldwide that perform the ancient method of threading:

http://www.spaindex.com/Lifestyles/Threading.htm#ASIA

5% products discount

Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:23 am      Reply with quote
I have to pluck because when I get them waxed, I always have an idea of how I want them to look. When they're done waxing, I look in the mirror and am ALWAYS dissapointed. At least I know, that if I'm dissapointed after I pluck its my fauld AND I didn't pay someone to mess them up for me.
I think plucking (if you're real meticulous) looks better...because you can get the PERFECT brow, you're pulling individual hairs out instead of ripping 50 out at a time.
However, I suggest you get them waxed first (bring a picture-but make sure you have enoug brows to get them in the first place)...then (as suggested before), tweeze to keep them up.

BTW, Tweezerman makes tweezers that almost never need to be sharpend, but if they DO, you just send them in and Tweezerman will sharpen them for you. They're expensive ($15), but the REAL cheap ones make it hard to grasp the thin, fine hairs anyway. The cheap ones are good to have around & smaller and more convienient.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:28 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |