Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Paula's Choice product/sunscreen question...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:32 pm      Reply with quote
I'm just wondering if anyone has used these products and what they thought of them (prices seem good).

The reason I'm asking is I got a sample of the Paula's Choice mineral sunscreen and I really like it. Most sunscreens feel yucky on my face and this one doesn't. I've tried the really "good/expensive" ones like La Roche Posay, Ombrelle, and Bioderma but they all make my pores fill up with junk.

Another question...Paula says that titanium dioxide and zinc oxide protect against UVA rays but these are physical sunscreen ingredients are they not? I thought it was only the chemical sunscreens that protected from UVA rays and physical sunscreens protected from UVB rays.

I'm confused!
SusieQ
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
Did you read her sunscreen article? Its very good information and would help you greatly in the different types of sunscreen. Her sunscreens are very good,
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
I did read the sunscreen article- that's where I got the info about titanium/zinc being UVA protectants but it is contrary to what I have heard before so I just wanted to check.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:02 am      Reply with quote
uhhm...both mineral and chemical protect from uva and uvb...mineral are photostable..while some chemicals arent...depending on what they are mixed with...im really considering her mineral sunscreen this winter for protection...hehe

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 8:11 am      Reply with quote
Just curious as to why you would use the mineral sunscreen in the winter and not the summer as well?
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:48 am      Reply with quote
I Do use mineral sunscreen..skinceuticals physical SPF 30..but im looking for an SPF 15 for winter.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:24 pm      Reply with quote
From my reading mineral screens do also protect from UVA but to a lesser degree, which is why people who are deadly serious about sun avoidance tend to opt for the European chemical screens.

Don't ask me to what lesser degree exactly because I've never found any clear answer to that.
purpleturtle
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:57 am      Reply with quote
eh i disagree that in general they would work to a lesser degree, because not all chemical sunscreens are photostable to begin with. Last summer i used a neutrogena sunscreen, and not only was it NOT photostable, but it caused me horrible heat rashes and was vedy bad if i do say so myself...

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:24 am      Reply with quote
Well, it is important to make sure that it is photostable. But I think comparing a photostable chemical sunscreen with a physical one, you would get better protection from the chemical...as long as you don't have any sort of reaction to the chemical one.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:24 am      Reply with quote
From what I hear it isnt stable,which is a pity because I tried it too and it has a really nice texture. But from reading about sunscreens on this forum avobenzone and octinoxate shouldnt be in sunscreen togethor and paulas choice has them both.
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:05 am      Reply with quote
Gosh, sunscreen is a tough one, isn't it? I've done a bit of research and Molly and Faith are spot on in this issue. I'd really love to find a photostable chemical sunscreen that won't ravage my skin and my first stop on this search is the LRP FE60. If all chemical options fail I will fall back on the physicals. My understanding (pls. correct me if I am wrong) is that physical blocks, though photostable, do not protect against the entire wavelength of UVA. Also, the physicals might be too occlusive for some and cause/aggravate congestion.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
I really like her sunscreen and I think everybody should wear SPF30 all year round! Smile
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:02 pm      Reply with quote
crazyskin wrote:
Gosh, sunscreen is a tough one, isn't it? I've done a bit of research and Molly and Faith are spot on in this issue. I'd really love to find a photostable chemical sunscreen that won't ravage my skin and my first stop on this search is the LRP FE60. If all chemical options fail I will fall back on the physicals. My understanding (pls. correct me if I am wrong) is that physical blocks, though photostable, do not protect against the entire wavelength of UVA. Also, the physicals might be too occlusive for some and cause/aggravate congestion.

Good Choice!! You can also try the Avene 60. It is photostable too; I also find it gentler than LPR.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:26 am      Reply with quote
Hi Faith Smile Thanks for the suggestion, I'll include that in my list of options.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |