Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Does anything work at preventing hormonal breakouts?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Joom
5% products discount

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:33 am      Reply with quote
I've suffered from spots since I was about 11 years old I'm now 32 and during the past year I've really found a routine which has helped clear up my skin however I am still getting hormonal breakouts. I'm getting about 4 or 5 spots every month but the thing is they're really big and painful they're on my chin my jawline and now for some reason have even started appearing on my neck. I'm currently using a combination of Decleor, Dermalogica, Dr H and Yonka products and am really pleased wiht the results but it's really getting me down that nothing seems to stop the hormonal breakouts, they just all seem to all appear over night and take ages to go, I'm sure they stand out even more now that the rest of my skin is clear. Is there anything that works at preventing these or at least helping them to clear quickly when they arrive?

Thanks in advance,

Joom
Toe
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:58 am      Reply with quote
Same here. I've suffered with problem skin since I was about 11/12 too. I'm now 31 and although the breakouts are now reduced to a monthly hormonal breakout it is still really frustrating that I have to put up with it. I'd hoped that at my age I'd finally be able to get clear skin. Rolling Eyes
I start getting my hormonal spots about a week before my period, then they start clearing about a week after my period has finished. That means I only get about 2 weeks of clear skin per month. Well, clear except for the red scarring that the breakout has left behind. Mad
I find Decleor Baume Essentiel great for clearing the spots up but it doesn't prevent them. The only thing that has been suggested to me for preventing hormonal breakouts are a couple of supplements. Evening Primrose Oil or Starflower Oil and Vitamin B6 (although a general Vit B complex would be the best bet). You could always give the supplement route a try but it's not really working for me. I'm still getting the hormonal breakouts every month. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:26 am      Reply with quote
For me taking a high doseage B Complex, which for those of you in the UK the B 100 complex is the best, Zinc (very important) and Vitamin A helped to clear my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:57 am      Reply with quote
Me too! I could have written this post myself:x I am mostly clear except at that time of the month....At that time...BOOM I get at least 5 of those red painful buggers around jaw and neck too!, which take a few days to surface, some squeezing then a long healing process...after that a red mark still remains and takes forever to go away ...and long before it is all gone , it starts all over again! Mad Mad Mad (not to mention I am very irregular so I cant really do much to prep my skin for the assault. Those bumps tell me that my period is on its way! And I am 28...looks like age is not going to get rid of these.
purple princess
5% products discount

Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:51 am      Reply with quote
same here!

i had a time of no spots, but now my skin is worse (im using dermalogica skin care travel kit for oily skin), i have nasty red spots (3 in a row on the side of my face!!!) which i just KNOW will leave a scar, spots on my chin and hairline (both sides of my face).arghhhh

i am using corys minerals cosmetics (which is great) but i still feel oily and spotty!!

im 26 for petes sake!!

i always give skincare range a month trial, so i may switch back to decleor as its natural (and finances permitting! i want to win a gift voucher and spurlge) Laughing

(i also pick them which Shame on you doesnt help) Embarassed

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:45 am      Reply with quote
I have the same problem (which for me is made worse by taking birth control pills). For the past 6 months I have been taking a supplement called vitex agnus castus which is a herbal treatment for symptoms of PMS and also helps to balance out female hormones. This in turn helps prevent hormonal breakouts. At the most, I now only get one small pimple at that time of the month rather than 4 or 5 large painful ones. I was skeptical as I had started a new skin care routine around the same time that I began on the supplements so I stopped taking them to see if they were really working. Sure enough within a week or so I had 2 big sore pimples. I havent stopped taking them since and haven't really had any pimples.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:54 am      Reply with quote
hmm I used to take agnus castus. Once I'd run out though I didn't bother to repurchase as I wasn't sure if it was making any difference or not (I was taking lots of herbal stuff and vitamins at the time). Think I will get some more next time I place an order for supplements.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:31 am      Reply with quote
There are several things that I have been using successfuly at combating hormonal acne. One is IS Clinical's Proheal serum, in addition to retin A and Decleor's ylang ylang balm.
Stretch
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:36 am      Reply with quote
I have had great luck with decleor's ylang ylang balm as well.
amnis
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:08 pm      Reply with quote
i thought birth control pills were supposed to help clear your skin? or does it depend on the brand?

i am starting to see a pattern with monthly breakouts too since my skin has cleared up otherwise (i used to get many all of the time with no pattern). i'll take what i can get in regard to having clear (or clearer skin) but the way those lingering sores in their healing process stick around on my face until the next monthlies arrive is so frustrating!!! Mad

so i feel for y'all!!

early-mid 30s || oily-combination, sensitive & acne-prone skin || mild breakouts (Aczone helps a lot) || occasional eczema rashes || fine lines around eyes || very dark under eye cirlces- concealer a must || very fair neutral-warm complexion, blue eyes, blonde hair
happyhippie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
I do a pretty hard-core thing, so you with sensitive skin, don't read this...

I take pure organic Tea tree oil and pure Ylang-Ylang oil (essential oils), a few drops of each and rub into my face after cleansing. For on the spot treatment, I use organic GSE (grape seed extract) or Dr. H rythmic night conditioner over entire face... Swimming in the ocean, and getting the pores cleansed with salt-water is also good...plus fun Cool

IF you decide to pick...use one of those metal-tools that have a hole in them (one on each side of a stick...ehhh...hard to explain) that's made especially for cleaning out pores. AHA's are also great for "frying" away those nasty annoying pimples that appear as a bump Very Happy
princesita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:24 pm      Reply with quote
amnis wrote:
i thought birth control pills were supposed to help clear your skin? or does it depend on the brand?

Yes, that's what I'd always been told too but I guess everyones body works differently so for some unlucky people birth control pills just make the problem worse!! I would like to stop taking them but I'm wary of new types of contraception and the last thing I need right now is a mini-princesita!! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:58 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 53 and never had acne AT ALL until I was in my 30's. That's when I started using Retin-A, since tretinoin (a retinoid) is commonly used for treating acne. But I couldn't tolerate the scaliness, redness, and general irritation it caused. Later when Renova (contains more emollient) came out, I tried it but couldn't tolerate it either. Differin is another retinoid-derivative prescription product for acne and it's easier to handle. But what really worked well for me was glycolic acid. Like retinoids, glycolics clear away the outermost layer of skin which prevents congestion. But they do it more gently. There are many brands to choose from, and they're generally inexpensive -- at least compared to anti-aging stuff Shock Shock Shock

IS Clinical Pro Heal Serum (as mentioned by SaffronRouge) contains 1% retinol, and retinol is weaker than the prescription products I referred to. However, even the Pro Heal Serum makes my skin peel! So if any of you hormonal acne sufferers are sensitive to retinoids like I am, you may want to give glycolics a try.
crazyskin
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:20 pm      Reply with quote
Ladies, I can relate to your frustration. I'm dealing with bad hormonal breakouts and I'm in my 40's! Mad I've always had a few spots at TTOM since my teens, but when I was younger my skin was more resilient and after 5-7 days there was no trace of the blemishes. Its so much harder now to get rid of the scars - new spots appear before the old scars fade. This past weekend I felt so defeated because just when my hormonal flare up has finally calmed down and scars are getting better I had 3 new pimples to deal with. Shock I was so weary that I went "on strike" - I refused to do anything besides cleanse. But I'm happy to report that I'm now ready to resume the fight. Smile

Hiya m.april wave
Thanks for the info re glycolics. I've been wondering if thats an option for me. I cannot tolerate AHAs in general coz my skin gets very irritated and blotchy, but I've heard that glycolics are gentler than most AHAs. Can you recommend a specific line? What would be the gentlest way to introduce this to my routine?

Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:22 am      Reply with quote
While I am sorry you all have this problem, it is good to know I am not alone. On the DYI thread there is a recipe for an asprin mask. It has worked wonders for me.

At first I just used several crushed asprin (use an ordinary pill crusher from a drug store and you will get a fine powder with little effort) mixed with a little (about 1 table spoon) of milk that has been warmed in the microwave-only 5 seconds, the milk shouldn't curdle. I used it every day--my face seemed brighter and I had fewer spots.

Next, I started putting a couple of drops of Tea Tree Oil with a little asprin for spot treatments with good results.

Now I have gotten brave enough to mix several drops (5 or more) of the oil in with my mask. My skin is usually sensitive, but no problems so far. I can't believe how clear my skin is right now. During the usual breakout times I do it every day, but now I don't even have to--could I possibly be free at last?
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Ok, proheal has retinol and active serum is a chemical exfoliant.

Which one is better to treat acne?
Which one is good to prevent acne? - My guess is Active Serum.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:58 pm      Reply with quote
I have the same problem = cystic acne = at that time of the month. The best thing for me has been amoxycillin. I know it sounds extreme but for absolutely clear skin, taking it every other day (a lower dose, 500mg, at night) has kept these at bay. Also, a daily vitamin regimen that includes all the trace elements (magnesium, potassium, zinc, selenium) plus MSM, Omega-3, B6, and C has helped very much.

I read that women's immune systems are weaker pre-period and this is when the bacteria that is present in sebum/excess oil/hair follicles starts to flourish- then the cysts form. It's such a bummer. To be in my 40's fighting wrinkles and now acne. And had perfect skin as a teenager. Ack!!!

I have also recently decided to start using a salicylic acid lotion each day (neutrogena) on my chin area to at least try to reduce the sebum output/congestion so maybe the bacteria would not have a chance to cause an infection. I also purchased a Zeno machine but jury's still out on the thing. I had a cyst and I don't know if it helped or didn't do anything at all. It certainly did not disappear within 24 hours (as is claimed on the package as an occasional result) so I'm not sure about its effectiveness.
sormuimui
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, 500mg is not a low dose, even when taking it every other night. When I'm sick docs only want to prescribe 250mg, how do you get a prescription for 500mg? Oh and I thought that taking antibiotics will weaken your immune system even more because your body becomes 1.reliant on them and 2. becomes more and more tolerant so you'll end up needing heavier and heavier doses of antibiotics. Am I wrong?

So far I've used glycolics, retinoids (I'm currently using both Active and Proheal), neither have helped. BP controls my acne but can't prevent those damn TOTM ones. SA doesn't help much either. I currently use Alesse which is supposed to be one of those birth control that helps but it may have worsened it instead (everyone's skin/body is different). I have given up hope on those damn cysts, now I just concentrate on keeping my skin looking the best it can. I know I'll never have beautiful skin or be able to live w/o makeup. Sad
Yen
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:26 pm      Reply with quote
I know I've been raving about this line a lot but I can't help it. I love Earth to Body.
The Clay-Neem Treatment has really helped with my acne including the hormonal ones. Very Happy
girldelvov
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:43 pm      Reply with quote
I'm wondering the same exact thing as we speak. Now, for me, I just got over my time of the month Rolling Eyes but I am still dealing with the stress of classes/ money/ etc. So, I can't exactly blame everything on my period, but I'd say that partly, its mother natures fault! lol.

I've recently 'grown' 7-8 pimples across my jawline. It's so frustraighting because my skin has finally gotten over that akward acne phase with the help of proactive and some over the counter cleansing pads + moisturizer. Now, if I get pimples, they are small and are gone by the next day. Not this lot of 7. Theyre here to stay.

So while I don't have the answer to your question (sorry Joom), I have a different question. I remember seeing commercials on TV about a new line from Olay called Clarity. They were specifically marketed towards women who were on their cycle. My question is, has anyone tried these products (and how are they different)? I know that there is a toner, cleanser, scrub, and cloths in the line but have not read anywhere about anyone using this line and its effectiveness.

So, again, if anyone has some miracle cure for these horid breakouts, please share ladies Wink .
handsbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:45 pm      Reply with quote
I read somewhere that EPO works for hormonal breakout. I have been taking this supplements since few years ago.
ariesxtreme
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:37 am      Reply with quote
For some reason because these are hormonal changes, my take on it is, it can't be all solved by topical products in my opinion. Take things orally/internally should be measure taken. I never connected the dots that b/c pills were the effect of acne and the dark scars that were left behind. I've been taking Calcium d-glucarate and it's helped tremendously for me.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
Since I started using Alpha-H Liquid Gold on my t-zone I have had virtually no hormonal breakouts in over 18 months! Very Happy
dolly*eye
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:46 am      Reply with quote
I too have been experiencing hormonal breakouts for years. Lately I find that taking vitamin B supplements helps a bit. In addition, it's critical to have a more balanced lifestyle. I know it sounds trivial, but getting more sleep helped my skin repair itself and stay in better condition. For 2 months I've had clear skin simply by following a better sleeping routine and getting more quality rest and diet.

I think topical facial products may help, but won't prevent hormonal breakouts, it really starts with the lifestyle and diet.
rosyface
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
vitex agnus castus which is a herbal treatment for symptoms of PMS and also helps to balance out female hormones. This in turn helps prevent hormonal breakouts.

Hormonal acne is an internal problem not a skin problem. It just manifests itself in the skin. You need to see a doctor or naturopath to see why your hormones are unbalanced and possibly use a natural supplement such as mentioned above to help correct the situtation.

Hormonal imbalance can lead to many other and more serious health problems for women as we get older so if you really want to fix your skin, you will need to fix the root problem of why your hormones are out of whack in the first place.

I myself have a hormonal condition called PCOS which messes up all the hormones from insulin to estrogen, progesterone and testosterone.

Currently i'm using a natural supplement called indole-3-carbinole (I3C)to regulate how my body uses good and bad estrogen. I'm hoping to add some natural progesterone soon to see if it will help too. Since i've tried to address the basic hormonal problems, my skin has improved about 99%. I only get a small painful acne cyst maybe once or twice per year compared to multiple huge painful cysts every single day for years.

You don't necessarily have to do what i have done and use the same supplements, but you would be doing yourself a huge favor in the health game if you treated the cause of the problem and not just the symptom....

i wish you all the best in whatever you decide you need to do. Take care, Smile

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:18 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |