Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

For those who avoid iron oxide products with La Roche-Posay
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:23 pm      Reply with quote
Today, I received a little packet sample of La Roche-Posay's Unifiance Fine Film Corrective Makeup. Of course, I thought, "Ooh! A compatible makeup to go with Anthélios on special occasions when I want to wear foundation!"

Well, I looked on the back, and see that, like most foundations at the end of the Ingredients list, it states, "May contain Titanium Dioxide & Iron Oxides."

Of course, assuming that it is indeed true that foundations containing iron oxides/titanium dioxide/zinc oxide negatively affects the efficacy of La Roche-Posay, I cannot imagine La Roche-Posay manufacturing and selling a foundation product that would ultimately degrade an ingredient in their very own line of sunscreens. Am I missing something? I didn't see the word "silicone" in terms of coating.

If this La Roche-Posay Unifiance foundation containing titanium dioxide and iron oxides is okay, then what makes other foundations/powders containing it not okay? Again, I must be missing something if this iron oxide hypothesis has authenticity. I know this theory has been studied and tested, so this is a bit mystifying to me.
faith
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
I actually emailed L'Oreal about 2 months ago, and asked them to explain it to me, but they never responded. Its not just you that's confused. Unless, of course, they are making products that are not suitable for use with their own sunscreens. I often wonder why sunscreen that is not photostable is even manufactured too???

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:07 pm      Reply with quote
This is why I generally use Avene SPF50+ sunscreen, and only apply LRP FE when I'm barefaced (or nearly so). Since becoming "enlightened" about the incompatibility issue, I've started reading ingredient lists on new makeup I purchase. I'm amazed -- it seems almost everything has some kind of metallic substance in it! I'm hoping that Tinosorb, the very stable active in Avene, is protecting me enough. God knows it's a bother to purchase it (it's never on eBay, unlike LRP), and it's about $40+ USD per tube.

If LRP makes physical sunscreens, perhaps they would be compatible with the makeup sample. Don't we only have to worry about compatibility when it comes to chemical actives?
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:50 am      Reply with quote
Does anybody know if MAC blot powder has any of these metallic ingredients which degrades LRP sunscreens? Where can I see the ingredient list for it?...i tried to look but cannot find it.
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:25 am      Reply with quote
The fact that Anthélios XL Fluide Extreme 60 contains Avobenzone and Titanium Dioxide as its 9th & 10th ingredient throws me as well.
m.april
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:08 am      Reply with quote
Maybe Bad Bird will chime in on this -- I'm confused!
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:14 am      Reply with quote
The fact is metal ions degrade avobenzone.

I don't think Loreal will tell consumers this because they want to sell their sunscreens and/or makeup. I even question how many employees in the huge parent company know about it, since probably only their scientists or researchers are in the know, and maybe a few select groups like the higher-ups.

Faith - the fact is, too, that avobenzone has a very good absorption curve in the UVA spectrum, and manufacturers of avobenzone are not going to care if it is photostable or not. We have Loreal to thank for for managing to stabilise it with the use of their patented Mex'es. And since the discovery of Tinosorb being a stabilising active, other manufacturers have chimed in as well.

M.april - Tinosorb M has even better absorption in the UVA curve (up till 400nm) than the Mex'es. It's just that the UVA protection factor of Avene SPF50+ is not as high as FE. If the UVA factor can match FE, I'll gladly switch to Avene exclusively anytime just for the completeness in the UVA protection. Smile

P.S. If your makeup contains RED iron oxides, then this has a negligible effect on avobenzone. Yellow and black iron oxides are the culprits - leading to a complete degradation of avobenzone. Better be conservative when the ingredient list does not specify which colours are used. Smile
mithai
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
Okay I found a list and Mac Blot powder has iron oxides:

Mica, Dimethicone, Silica, Kaolin, Water, Sodium Cocoyl Hydrolyzed Collagen, Methicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Iron Oxides, Ultramarines

i am so bummed....does that mean it makes LRP FE 60 became useless when I used Blot powder to take the shine away?
Bad Bird
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Mithai,

No, not completely useless but the protection would be compromised. Not to mention degraded sunscreen actives may general free radicals. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:57 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |