Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sunscreen for the face! Help!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has tried a sunscreen products specific for the face that is amazing, not heavy or greasy. I wonder if anyone has tried the Ultra Protection SPF 25 from Yonka???

My skin is acne prone, although under control. I will be getting a series of Microdermabrasion and Cold Laser treaments in the near future and really need a good SPF that is a lovely day face care product.

I have the JI Amazing Base but find I still get pigment spots despite using it every day when I go outsied.

Feliz
Skincare
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:37 am      Reply with quote
I'm using Dormer SPF 30 that was suggested by my dermotoligists. You can get it at the drug store.
It exfoliates and protect at the same time.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Shiseido spf 55 is the best for a matte finish and decent protection. The best UVA protection is gotten from the European sunscreens but I have not found one that is not fairly greasy. I have tried the LRP Dermo-Pediatrics, Anthelios Fluide Extreme, and Bioderma Lait and all are pretty shiny. A dusting of powder helps to alleviate the shine somewhat but I feel gross putting powder on top of sticky sunscreen....I wish my Shiseido had more than a 8-9PPD.(UVA protection). These others have PPD's of more like 20-30.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
the dermalogica sunscreen for the face is good. It is non-clogging to the pores, so wont cause breakouts. It is not greasy and has a tint to it kinda like a foundation to even out skintone
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:53 pm      Reply with quote
Wow you guys are great, thank your for all the tips.
I actually recently ordered a Sonya Dakar 365 SPF 30. I have never tried her products before even though her company continually sends me information on products. I noticed she had a sunsceen and it was only $35 U.S, may as well try it.

Feliz
Feliz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I need to re-activate this subject. I have been using the Sonya Dakar SPF 30 and noticed some little bumps forming on my forehead. I am sure its from this product as it is the only new product.

I am wondering if anyone can help who has very reactive skin. Any wonderful suncreen products that do not make you break out????

Feliz
mojocat
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:27 am      Reply with quote
I use Shiseido Anessa SPF 43. Its got PPD or PPA+++...Im not sure what that translates to in numbers. I like the coverage and it absorbs well into the skin so it doesnt leave a shiny film. I have super sun sensitive skin and although i only just started using it, I think its helped fend off the pigmentation. I was using Skinceuticals Ultimate Defense prior to that, good coverage as well but heavier texture. I think another one that receives gd reviews here is LRP Anethelios FE.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:34 am      Reply with quote
My suggestion would be Avene SPF30. The Avene ingredients are designed for sensitive skin but are great for any skin as there are no ingredients that will cause a reaction or clog pores.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

Thanks for the recomendations. I want to ask where I can get Avene sunscreen?? Can I get it in Canada??

Thanks

Feliz
SugarFreeSheila
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:47 am      Reply with quote
La Roche-Posay Anthélios XL Fluide Extreme 60. No stickiness, greasiness, or white cast. Yesterday, I wore it with just some of the Jurlique powder Faith recommended to me, and I looked fresh all day ... and my skin can get oily!

This Anthélios sunscreen offers supreme protection and a Canadian version is available.
RealLife

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:14 am      Reply with quote
I use DCF Chem-Free - SPF 30 and it works very well for me, no oiliness or breakouts.
Ruth
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:50 am      Reply with quote
Hey... I've used MD Formulations SPF30 and found it to work for me. I have sensitive skin which tends to break out, but experienced no xtra side-effects with the cream. It isn't thick and greasy and smoothes right in. I've also been using Decleors Alpha Morning SPF12. It's thicker and takes a little longer to melt in, but it's good.
It's a jungle out there, hope you find something yummy for your skin Very Happy
cheers /Ruth
MaryR
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:21 pm      Reply with quote
I love jan marini daily face protectant.
Sarah Jones
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Agree with SugarFreeSheila
on La Roche-Posay Anthélios XL Fluide Extreme 60, I like this sunblock. Doesn't seem to clog my pores and not greasy too. I normally use antioxidant purifying serum underneath though.
Cautious newbie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Which Canadian version of LRP would you say is similar to the Anthelios XL Fluide Extreme 60?

How does it compare the the LRP Gel?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:38 am      Reply with quote
I'm new to this forum but thought I would throw out my 2 cents. I've been using the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch spf 45 for several weeks and I really like it. It's not greasy at all and it smells fresh and not like regular sunscreen. Plus it's only around $8.00 so it's at least worth a try! I've seen that a few other members recommend it too, and it was one of Dr. Paula Begoun's choices (which I learned about from another thread).

Please note that it does contain quite a bit of silica which gives it the matte finish, but I haven't had any problems with it at all. But then again I do exfoliate regularly and use AHA/retinol products in my skincare routine so I'm sure that helps. Very Happy
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
The Ultra Dry is not stable. You will not get UVA protection that is adequate with this sunscreen. The best sunscreens are the European ones - La Roche Posay, Bioderma, Vichy. I think in Canada it's the Avene and the Ombrelle that are stable and most effective. Here in the US to get highest PPD (UVA protection)it's Coppertone Oil-Free Faces (PPD 8-9) and Shiseido spf 55 (PPD Cool. I think Hawaiian Tropic and Ocean Potion may also have added products to their lines that are effective. Look for avobenzone coupled with octocrylene. If no Octo with the Avo, then don't purchase it. European sunscreens use Tinosorb and Mexoryl as effective ingredients.

There was a giant thread a ways back on sunscreen. Big Bird is the true expert on this. I'd do a search and check that thread out.

For finish - I think Shiseido is best with a matte finish and does not break me out.
melissa49
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:53 am      Reply with quote
I also get breakouts when my skin reacts to some sunscreens. I have been ecstatic Very Happy Very Happy with my Meagan Gale invisible zinc 40 +for well over a year now, it doesnt break me out, and is alot less greasy than some ive tried.

I did also receive dr hauschkas sunscreen, but its only 15+. However, it is still very good, and could be used more for says when limited sun exposure is likely. It hasn't broken me out at all, smells nice, but is noticable more "greasy" than my zinc - but its not horribly greasy.... Rolling Eyes I hope you know what I mean...
cbrooke
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:20 pm      Reply with quote
I really love Murad Oil-free Sheer Tint SPF 15

It isn't sticky or smelly or shiny and provides very slight coverage....just perfect!

Only thing is, I think it would be ideal for oilier skin....seemed to slightly dry out my normal to dry skin Crying or Very sad
Yogaholic
5% products discount

Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:44 pm      Reply with quote
i really like eucerin sensitive facial skin extra protective moisture lotion spf 30. it is light weight, non-greasy, non-comedogenic, fragrance free and contains both microfine zinc oxide & titanium dioxide. i'm not prone to breakouts but it's non-irritating and works really well under makeup. something you may wanna try since it's only 7 bucks at drug stores.
bushy
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
I recently came across this article and here is an extract which is interesting:
"The Best Sunscreen of All!

If you want to obtain the best protection possible from a sunscreen lotion or cream, consider this advice. Recent studies indicate that you should aim to block out UVA, UVB, and UVC. UVC was once regarded as unimportant as the ozone layer of the atmosphere normally screens this wavelength of UV out for you before it can reach your skin. It is now widely-known that the ozone layer is becoming increasingly depleted from the earth's atmosphere because of greenhouse gas emissions.

Most first-generation sunscreens block out either UVA or UVB but not UVC. Obviously these ingredients leave you open to the damage caused by the two spectrums of light that they are inoperative for.

Titanium dioxide is not a sunscreen but a physical sunblocker. It blocks out UVA and UBV, but not UVC. This ingredient is now one of the most common ingredients in sunscreens. The disadvantage of this ingredient (until recently) was that it was opaque (not clear) and was therefore shunned by many people because of its cosmetic unsuitability. Recently, a new process named micronisation, allowed the titanium dioxide particles to be broken down so that they became invisible when applied to the skin. Micronized titanium dioxide was therefore an "almost-perfect" solution for blocking out most of the sun's rays.

Recently it has been found that the use of titanium dioxide-containing sunscreens may be causing as many problems as they're helping solve. A recent study showed that micronized titanium dioxide may catalyse DNA damage in skin cells. Titanium dioxide absorbs 70% of UV and in watery environments this leads to the generation of hydroxyl free radicals which initiate oxidation and lead to the skin damage that initiates cancer. Obviously this is not what the consumer wants.

So what's the answer? What's the very best sun protection this summer? Although it has not yet been very well publicised, micronised zinc oxide (also known as microfine zinc oxide) appears to be the ultimate sunscreen ingredient. Here's why:

* Micronised (microfine) zinc oxide is less white (in appearance on the skin) compared with non-micronised zinc oxide (the type of zinc oxide once seen widely on the noses of surfers and lifesavers) or micronised titanium dioxide.

* Micronised zinc oxide (unlike micronised titanium dioxide) does not cause DNA damage to the skin.

* Micronised zinc oxide protects against all of the UVA spectrum of UV (micronised titanium dioxide only protects against part of the UVA spectrum).

* Micronised zinc oxide protects against UVB. This protection is as good as that provided by other sunscreens.

* Micronised zinc oxide (unlike titanium dioxide and most sunscreens) protects against UVC.

* Micronised zinc oxide (unlike most sunscreens) does NOT cause allergic skin reactions."

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:51 am      Reply with quote
Interesting information...

If true, its interesting to know my sunsreen i use has z-cote (micronised zinc), and titanium. Thing is, titanium never really penetrates the skin, as they supposedly say...which is why its considered a mineral sunscreen ingredient. Either way I haven't gotten any reactions from my sunscreen so i am content. Chemicals = bad reaction...

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:47 am      Reply with quote
I like Shiseido spf 30 for face. It sinks in well and does not give me outbreaks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:23 am      Reply with quote
I also like the Jan Marini Daily Face Protectant. It's light and matte and I would recommend it to anyone.

The only problem I have with it is that the gold printing on the tube is wearing off and if I don't wash my hands carefully after opening it up, I end up rubbing flecks of gold all over my face. At first, I thought I was accidentally getting it from girls' glitter craft stuff, or glittery shirts, etc.(two girls equals a lot of glitter Laughing ) but then finally I realized that it was my sunscreen tube.

5% products discount

Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:08 am      Reply with quote
hi, i've just joined EDS and was browsing topics. i've just recently started using Dermalogica skin care and tried their SPF 30 Booster. You add it to your present moisturiser. It is really great so far. I also have oily/acne prone skin and it has not caused any breakouts at all! The key, so you get enough SPF coverage is to be liberal about adding it to your moisturiser. I'm using Active Moist by Dermalogica which I love, love, love! Another good SPF is Proactiv's Oil Free Moisturiser with Sunscreen, although it leaves a bit of a film, but not a lot. Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:49 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |