Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Hi newby needs help!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
AxelFoley
5% products discount

Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:51 am      Reply with quote
Hi people I have seen this site before and I have at last decided to join!

As a teenager I used to have quite bad acne, to the point where I was taking antibiotics.

As I have got older the spots have subsided a bit but I still have to be careful what I use as it can break me out very quickly.

In terms of my skin, I’m West Indian (born in Guyana) my skin is quite dark and I have an oily
T-zone, the skin around my eyes is normal-dry. My cheeks are oily and my beard area is normal-dry.

I was using clinique since 1998 and I found in quite well, but skin became almost reliant on it and if I changed products or stopped using it I would break out.

Well I did a search on this site about clinique and I was alarmed with what I read. So I have stopped using it.

On the recommendation of a friend and because I can get 40% discount I started to us the Pevonia product range. it was fine for the first about 2 months but I have suddenly started to break out like a teenager again and its really getting me down Crying or Very sad I was thinking about just starting again with Dermalogica and binning pervornia as maybe its just not for me..

Sorry this post is so long but I really need your help.

Thanks
Mabsy

Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:28 am      Reply with quote
Has anything changed at all two months into your Pevonia regime? I ask because I think it's unusual for skin to break out for no reason after two months of using the products. Well, that in itself is not unusual but I would say it's unusual to have it as the cause of the products. If you don't mind me asking, what is in your regime? I found Clinique to be stripping for the skin but that also meant that your skin was probably regularly exfoliated. Do you have regular exfoliation in your Pevonia regime? If not then this might be how long it took your skin to get congested enough to the point of breaking out.

So, let us know what you used to use and what you are now using and we shall all try to help Smile

Btw, Dermalogica is a good line. If you wanted to try it then I would definitely recommend medicated clearing gel and also microfoliant. You can also get them in travel kits (e.g. for oily or acne prone skin) so you don't end up wasting money on full size products if you find that you don't like them.

5% products discount

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:10 am      Reply with quote
Well the pevonia products i have are as follows:

Pevonia Phyto-gel cleanser, Pevonia combination skin lotion, Pevonia oliy skin cream, Pevonia enzymo- spherides peeling cream,
Pevonia clarifyl spot treatment, and Pevonia combination skin mask.

the are all almost full but i fear i may have to abandon this product line.
princesita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:39 am      Reply with quote
Wow you have certainly invested in the Pevonia range!! I haven't had any experience with it myself, but agree with Mabsy on this one... it seems unusual that your skin would take 2 whole months to start breaking out from the products. You havent had any other changes, diet? stress? etc. These things may affect your skin to.

On the other hand, if it is the products... I know it's frustrating but sometimes it can take a lot of trial and error to find products that really work with your skin and because of that, it's often best to buy samples before investing in the full size. I can also recommend the Derm Daily Microfoliant (it's one product that I am NEVER without), the Anti-Bac Mask (is quite soothing on inflammed skin when you're breaking out) and the active moist would also probably work quit nicely with your skin. But again, it's hard to tell so best to get samples first if you can.

Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:04 am      Reply with quote
How often do you use the Pevonia enzymo- spherides peeling cream? And, are you using it as per instructions? I.e. apply with dry hands to dry skin, then wet hands and massage in? Just want to make sure you're exfoliating...

5% products discount

Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:33 pm      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
How often do you use the Pevonia enzymo- spherides peeling cream? And, are you using it as per instructions? I.e. apply with dry hands to dry skin, then wet hands and massage in? Just want to make sure you're exfoliating...

i was only using it twice a week but i found that with other exfoliaters i got better results if i used it every evening, so i'm trying to use it every evening. this was something i changed this week in response to the break out Crying or Very sad
i was following the instructions for the Pevonia enzymo- spherides peeling cream as well.
maybe i should have gone for just the oliy skin line or acne skin line instead of mixing oily with combination skin line Question
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:28 pm      Reply with quote
I don't agree, it can take a couple months to create pimples deep in the pores and have them show up above the surface. If the Prevonia products are comedogenic or have irritating ingredients, it may indeed be the cause of your break-outs.

Now that you are experiencing break-outs, you may need acne medication to get it under control. Over the counter or see your doctor. Once it's under control, try lines that are don't contain acne causing ingredients, a lot of natural oils and other emmolients can cause acne and lot don't. I've been using this site's evaluation of whether or not an ingredient is comdegenic:
http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acne_detective/article6.htm#inglist

Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:17 pm      Reply with quote
I think using the peeling cream daily is a bit much (in my opinion anyway). I would stick to using it twice or three times a week but using a warm wash cloth to wipe it off before rinsing your face. If I were in your shoes and wanted to save (most of) my investment in Pevonia I would continue using the products but replace the moisturisers with Dermalogica Oil Control Lotion (it's got salicylic acid in it for acne). Also, stop using the mask for combo skin for a while and see what happens.

I still doubt that that it would take two months to see such effects of these products, particularly on oily skin. But, anything is possible....

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
I read a book written by the dr who developed Retin A and benzoyl peroxide, in the early 90s but I do remember he said that acne can take months to develope from deep in the pore. I learned a lot from that book, it really opened my eyes on how acne forms and why, etc. I'll try to find the name of the doc and the book.

Regardless, I know less about skincare than Mabsy or many other ladies here so it may be best to just ignore my ramblings. Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Just popping in to say thank you to Lolli for the link she posted Smile This will be very useful to me in screening products I'm interested in trying.

Sorry, I've never used Pevonia so I have nothing to contribute on the topic.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:11 am      Reply with quote
Lolli wrote:
Regardless, I know less about skincare than Mabsy or many other ladies here so it may be best to just ignore my ramblings. Wink

No, no! Don't ignore! Smile I only know what I read and also from my experience. I just think that with oily acne-prone skin in particular it probably would not take that long. But who knows...

5% products discount

Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:15 am      Reply with quote
Mabsy wrote:
I think using the peeling cream daily is a bit much (in my opinion anyway). I would stick to using it twice or three times a week but using a warm wash cloth to wipe it off before rinsing your face. If I were in your shoes and wanted to save (most of) my investment in Pevonia I would continue using the products but replace the moisturisers with Dermalogica Oil Control Lotion (it's got salicylic acid in it for acne). Also, stop using the mask for combo skin for a while and see what happens.

I still doubt that that it would take two months to see such effects of these products, particularly on oily skin. But, anything is possible....

i will try that but when i finish these products i will try dermalogica, ihad some free samples that i used ages ago and they felt really good. i should have trusted my Instincts and gone with that. but a 40% discount from a seemingly decent brand was to much of a hook. maybe the products are not for me or maybe i just have the wrong product line?

on a side note i can good to bed at night and get up with a spot(s) where there was clear skin the night before? how come?
Mabsy

Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:06 pm      Reply with quote
AxelFoley wrote:
on a side note i can good to bed at night and get up with a spot(s) where there was clear skin the night before? how come?

That's pretty much what it's like for everyone that gets breakouts. Some of them are gradual and you can see the spot developing and some of them just pop up. In general, many (or most) pimples are caused by dead skin cells blocking the pore which then leads to the buildup of sebum and bacteria. This gets inflamed or infected, and, voila! - pimple.

Btw, you might also want to make sure that you're changing your pillow cases on a regular basis as this is what your face comes in contact with for a long time when you sleep. You don't want it to be in contact with oil and bacteria.... I actually know people that change their pillow cases daily (although that's a bit too much work as far as I am concerned Smile).

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I thought I would put in my two cents. I have very acne prone skin and did try Pevonia products for oily and acne skin. Wow did my skin break out and the cream is so heavy my skin was really, really congested despite it also having glycolic acid as one of its main ingredients.

I have tried dermalogica and have to say I always have a medicated clearing gel in my bathroom. That product works so well. When you start using it you may break out a bit, but the longer you use it the clearer your skin will be.

I know one thing about acne/oily skin and that is not to use heavy creams and not to overly dry the skin out.
I found the Normalizing day oil from Dr. Hauschka and Clarifing toner in conjunction with stronger products like dermalogica really effective for acne.

Feliz
Lolli
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
crazyskin wrote:
Just popping in to say thank you to Lolli for the link she posted Smile This will be very useful to me in screening products I'm interested in trying.

You're so welcome, crazyskin! I love that list!

I agree with Feliz, Dermalogica looks pretty good. I use the Clearing Booster under my makeup on any zits during the day (which I can finally proudly say are under control for the first time in a looonngg time). I forget to mention it much here but I really like the consistency for daytime as it's quite thin, it disappears. The Clearing Gel is quite similar looking I've never used it though, it has salicylic acid where as the Clearing Booster has benzoyl peroxide, two of my favourite acne fighting ingredients.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:31 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I share, what regime really works for me:
I hate using my hands to wash my face. I don't trust that washing your hands really gets all the germs away, and rather not wash my face with my bare hands.
So instead I have Dove face-wash pillows, but I always use the smooth side (as oppose to the scrub side-- unless I specifically want to exfoliate). But because I do not really like the face wash that comes out of these "pillows", I put some Cetaphil face-wash cleanser on them and wash my face.
After I have washed my face or come out of the shower (when my pores are still open), I apply benzoyl peroxide (2%). So far I very much like the outcome.

I also would like to recommend the pill Bactrium for verys severe acne.
AxelFoley
5% products discount

Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:20 am      Reply with quote
Feliz wrote:
Hi,

I thought I would put in my two cents. I have very acne prone skin and did try Pevonia products for oily and acne skin. Wow did my skin break out and the cream is so heavy my skin was really, really congested despite it also having glycolic acid as one of its main ingredients.

I have tried dermalogica and have to say I always have a medicated clearing gel in my bathroom. That product works so well. When you start using it you may break out a bit, but the longer you use it the clearer your skin will be.

I know one thing about acne/oily skin and that is not to use heavy creams and not to overly dry the skin out.
I found the Normalizing day oil from Dr. Hauschka and Clarifing toner in conjunction with stronger products like dermalogica really effective for acne.

Feliz

can i say thank you for all your constructive advice Smile i'm going to finish using Pevonia products but i agree the creams are to heavy and try dermalogica next. before i part with any cash i will search this site and ask your advice to.
but is is there any product ranges that are really recommended by many people on this site Question
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:48 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |